Thread: Thief Crashes on Loading Savegame

Thief Crashes on Loading Savegame

  1. #1

    Exclamation Thief Crashes on Loading Savegame

    When I play Thief, if at any point I have to load a save, whether it be from a critical mission failure and having to load a checkpoint save, or from saving and quitting the game, loading it causes the loading screen to finish as normal, then immediately crash.

    I have talked to Square Enix support for the past few weeks about this through a series of emails via their support email, and I have tried the following things to fix the issue.

    -Running the game in any number of compatibility modes including 64-bit and 32-bit
    -Altering graphics settings in several combinations
    -Validating the game files via Steam multiple times
    -Uninstalling and reinstalling the game multiple times
    -Using multiple different systems with varying amounts of RAM, and different GPUs and CPUs
    -Enlarging the system page file to 32GB, disabling it entirely
    -Booting up my PC with no programs activated on startup
    -Disabling my firewalls and antivirus/malware programs entirely
    -Loading the game off of both an SSD, and an HDD
    -Disconnecting from the internet entirely
    -Going through multiple different driver versions of DirectX and AMD/Nvidia drivers by rolling back and reupdating

    Despite all of this, the issue still stands, nothing has worked so far and I have yet to be able to play the game I paid for. My system specs are as follows.

    OS: Windows 8.1 Professional - 64-bit
    CPU: AMD A8-6600K (Richland 32nm)
    RAM: 8GB Dual-Channel DDR3 clocked at 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
    Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 (MS-7721) (P0)
    Monitor: Dell S2340M (1920x1080 at 60Hz)
    GPU: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (270X, 2GB of GDDR5 VRAM, Gigabyte brand)
    Storage: 240 GB Intel SSDMCEAC240B3 (SSD)
    3 TB Western Digital WDC WD30EFRX-68ZX9N0 Sata Disk Device (SATA)
    Optical Drive: Plextor BDDVDR PX-B320SA SATA CdRom Device
    Audio: Creative X-Fi Audio Processor
    Networking: ASUS USB-AC53 802.11ac Wireless USB Adapter
    Peripherals: Microsoft SideWinder X6 Keyboard
    Logitech G502 "Proteus Core" Mouse
    SteelSeries H Wireless Headset
    Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter

  2. #2
    Do a search. There are many save game issues. Patches are WIP.
    MSI 990FXA GD65 / AMD 4.2MHz Qcore / (2) XFX HD7970 / 16Gig 1600FBS Corsar / Recon 3D / Win7 x64

  3. #3
    Originally Posted by Poseidon
    Do a search. There are many save game issues. Patches are WIP.
    I have done a search, I've done many searches, and ran the game in several different ways using a staggering variety of troubleshooting methods. How many save game issues there are is completely irrelevant, and do you have any source on a currently developed patch? The last patch was an entire 6 months ago. That entire post was completely irrelevant and unhelpful in any way.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The highest ground...
    Posts
    23,047
    Originally Posted by Gigaguy777
    The last patch was an entire 6 months ago.
    The last patch was issued two months ago, in August, I believe. Not sure if you missed that one?
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=153431
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

  5. #5
    Well,
    Thief no longer loads at all from my steam account! Something is up. Steam needs to look into this, but EIDOS might want to look into this as well. This is not good. I have always found problems when dealing with Steam.
    MSI 990FXA GD65 / AMD 4.2MHz Qcore / (2) XFX HD7970 / 16Gig 1600FBS Corsar / Recon 3D / Win7 x64

  6. #6
    Originally Posted by Viktoria
    The last patch was issued two months ago, in August, I believe. Not sure if you missed that one?
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=153431
    Under normal circumstances it would be applied automatically by Steam, but maybe they didn't notice. Still, people are having issues after all these patches.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The highest ground...
    Posts
    23,047
    Originally Posted by Poseidon
    Well,
    Thief no longer loads at all from my steam account! Something is up. Steam needs to look into this, but EIDOS might want to look into this as well. This is not good. I have always found problems when dealing with Steam.
    I have never had any problems with Steam myself; it must be frustrating when it doesn't do what it says on the tin hehe. What has Steam said about it? What are you experiencing exactly? A blank screen?
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

  8. #8
    Originally Posted by Viktoria
    I have never had any problems with Steam myself; it must be frustrating when it doesn't do what it says on the tin hehe. What has Steam said about it? What are you experiencing exactly? A blank screen?
    Hi Vik,

    Checked file integrity. A few files were messed up. Restarted, and still nothing.

    When I try to load Thief, I get a black screen. I open up my process manager and find that Thief is running and using up processor power, but all I get is a black screen. I am looking into this. First thing to do is eliminate my rig as a possible problem (i.e. check for bugs and faulty hardware). Next would be to contact Steam.

    Thief was running just fine before, so something happened. Just got to find out what.

    MSI 990FXA GD65 / AMD 4.2MHz Qcore / (2) XFX HD7970 / 16Gig 1600FBS Corsar / Recon 3D / Win7 x64

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The highest ground...
    Posts
    23,047
    Okay, its odd that it used to work and now it doesn't.
    I'm not an expert so I can't offer any instant solution sorry, but I found this discussion at gameskinny:
    http://www.gameskinny.com/j0qk9/thie...on-issue-fixes

    There may be further clues in there for you? Hope it helps.
    Apparently just waiting a few minutes for the screen to load is one answer, odd as it is.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

  10. #10
    Originally Posted by Viktoria
    Okay, its odd that it used to work and now it doesn't.
    I'm not an expert so I can't offer any instant solution sorry, but I found this discussion at gameskinny:
    http://www.gameskinny.com/j0qk9/thie...on-issue-fixes

    There may be further clues in there for you? Hope it helps.
    Apparently just waiting a few minutes for the screen to load is one answer, odd as it is.
    Thanks again Vik,

    I took a look at the sight and decided to just wait for the black screen to do its thing. It did finally load after about 8 minuets, then after attempting to load my saver game, it CTD. Before, it loaded within 10 seconds and no problems. My rig is pretty fast. Latest drivers (ATI latest driver 14-9). New monitor though. Instead of 1600x1200, I am running at 1920x1080. Thief is set to this res. Got an error message when I had the CTD. It is as follows.....

    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Shipping-ThiefGame.exe
    Application Version: 1.6.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 53e8d250
    Fault Module Name: Shipping-ThiefGame.exe
    Fault Module Version: 1.6.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 53e8d250
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 00000000005ea450
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: dfcb
    Additional Information 2: dfcb1b6be64d4a88b5d707d34bed3628
    Additional Information 3: 9166
    Additional Information 4: 91664df73bfc5e5dd55f6bfa02596009

    Don't know if this helps, but something is up.
    MSI 990FXA GD65 / AMD 4.2MHz Qcore / (2) XFX HD7970 / 16Gig 1600FBS Corsar / Recon 3D / Win7 x64

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The highest ground...
    Posts
    23,047
    Hmm, this issue has been discussed in the link below.
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/239160...8822757653031/

    No idea if this is going to help you but it appears the solution worked for others.

    go to: program files - steam - SteamApps - common - Thief - Binaries and then simply copy (replace if it ask you) everything from Win32 to Win64, then just start the game"
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

  12. #12
    Originally Posted by Viktoria
    Hmm, this issue has been discussed in the link below.
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/239160...8822757653031/

    No idea if this is going to help you but it appears the solution worked for others.
    Thanks for the help again Vik! Still a no-go. I will keep investigating and let everyone here know what I find.
    MSI 990FXA GD65 / AMD 4.2MHz Qcore / (2) XFX HD7970 / 16Gig 1600FBS Corsar / Recon 3D / Win7 x64

  13. #13
    Originally Posted by Viktoria
    The last patch was issued two months ago, in August, I believe. Not sure if you missed that one?
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=153431
    I guess it was 6 months ago, honestly had no idea, bad information on the search I did so my bad. Still, that's a very long time between patches, and with this issue being essentially game-breaking, you'd think it would've been discovered and fixed by now. Really wish they would get started on a patch for this.

  14. #14
    Originally Posted by Gigaguy777
    I guess it was 6 months ago, honestly had no idea, bad information on the search I did so my bad. Still, that's a very long time between patches, and with this issue being essentially game-breaking, you'd think it would've been discovered and fixed by now. Really wish they would get started on a patch for this.
    Ok, Ok,

    There are problems with Thief. Many here voice a concern because this game just does not work like everyone expects. Thief actually ran fine for me (except the sound and cut scene problems) up until now. I will get this sorted in time. But, I ask you, or anyone here, when have you purchased a game that ran smoothly right from the start? I can not think of a single title that has come out that does not have any kind of issues or game breaking problems. It is not EIDOS. It is the industry. They push titles out because the industry expects a title release by a certain time. It boils down to money. Its a shame really. But, it is what it is. EIDOS could spend years in beta testing and reach RC 1000, and still not get every computer configuration compatible with the title. Patches and updates (major and minor) would still be needed before all of the bugs could be worked out. Patching takes time. Hell, debugging scripts for just "1" 10 second segment in a game can take weeks! Bloody hell, even finding a code line that has conflicts with other code lines/engine format can take months! So, I believe that EIDOS will get these issues resolved. If not, then let the community create patches beyond Thief to ensure its survival in the future. It took almost a year before I could play Skyrim. That should say something about the industry and the problems that new code/game engines can create.

    PATIENTS!

    MSI 990FXA GD65 / AMD 4.2MHz Qcore / (2) XFX HD7970 / 16Gig 1600FBS Corsar / Recon 3D / Win7 x64

  15. #15
    Originally Posted by Poseidon
    Ok, Ok,

    There are problems with Thief. Many here voice a concern because this game just does not work like everyone expects. Thief actually ran fine for me (except the sound and cut scene problems) up until now. I will get this sorted in time. But, I ask you, or anyone here, when have you purchased a game that ran smoothly right from the start? I can not think of a single title that has come out that does not have any kind of issues or game breaking problems. It is not EIDOS. It is the industry. They push titles out because the industry expects a title release by a certain time. It boils down to money. Its a shame really. But, it is what it is. EIDOS could spend years in beta testing and reach RC 1000, and still not get every computer configuration compatible with the title. Patches and updates (major and minor) would still be needed before all of the bugs could be worked out. Patching takes time. Hell, debugging scripts for just "1" 10 second segment in a game can take weeks! Bloody hell, even finding a code line that has conflicts with other code lines/engine format can take months! So, I believe that EIDOS will get these issues resolved. If not, then let the community create patches beyond Thief to ensure its survival in the future. It took almost a year before I could play Skyrim. That should say something about the industry and the problems that new code/game engines can create.

    PATIENTS!

    *Patience

    The game more than "doesn't work like everyone expects", it doesn't work for me flat out. Period. It is unplayable. And as for games that ran fine right at the start? Beyond Earth, Shadows of Mordor, and The New Order all worked perfectly fine for me on launch day. I could save and load games just fine. I honestly don't care about the state of the industry so all of that rambling you did means nothing, and the fact that Skyrim didn't work for a while is not an excuse in the slightest, especially considering the amount of linearity in Thief as opposed to Skyrim.

  16. #16
    Originally Posted by Gigaguy777
    *Patience

    The game more than "doesn't work like everyone expects", it doesn't work for me flat out. Period. It is unplayable. And as for games that ran fine right at the start? Beyond Earth, Shadows of Mordor, and The New Order all worked perfectly fine for me on launch day. I could save and load games just fine. I honestly don't care about the state of the industry so all of that rambling you did means nothing, and the fact that Skyrim didn't work for a while is not an excuse in the slightest, especially considering the amount of linearity in Thief as opposed to Skyrim.
    All the games you mentioned DID have issues. Some people couldn't even load "Shadows of Mordor" because of issues. My point is that some people may be able to run certain games fine, while others can not. The different hardware configurations create way too many variables. No way that any new title will work on all computers properly. The console game platform will fair better because that is a closed loop system. Computers, however, have different operating systems to different hardware configurations. The combination of those 2 make patching difficult and slow. I am certain your problems will be fixed in due time. Since I am now experiencing a similar problem, I will try and help out as much as I can instead of complaining about it. Everyone has a right to complain, but we all need to supply information to help others in fixing issues with this game (and any other for that matter).
    MSI 990FXA GD65 / AMD 4.2MHz Qcore / (2) XFX HD7970 / 16Gig 1600FBS Corsar / Recon 3D / Win7 x64

  17. #17
    Originally Posted by Poseidon
    All the games you mentioned DID have issues. Some people couldn't even load "Shadows of Mordor" because of issues. My point is that some people may be able to run certain games fine, while others can not. The different hardware configurations create way too many variables. No way that any new title will work on all computers properly. The console game platform will fair better because that is a closed loop system. Computers, however, have different operating systems to different hardware configurations. The combination of those 2 make patching difficult and slow. I am certain your problems will be fixed in due time. Since I am now experiencing a similar problem, I will try and help out as much as I can instead of complaining about it. Everyone has a right to complain, but we all need to supply information to help others in fixing issues with this game (and any other for that matter).
    I never heard of any major launch issues with a single one of the games I listed, while there were some minor ones, they were all fixable and non-gamebreaking, so they're not comparable. I get that some people have issues others don't, thing is that doesn't really matter, as developers should account for that, and this is not a new title. This came out a very long time ago, there's no excuse for these issues to still exist after so long post-release. I am not certain it will be fixed in due time as development of patches seems to have ended, with the last one being quite a while ago, and no mention of patches in development.

    As for helping out with a patch if it happens to be being made, I've given them everything I can, full system specifications and a list of what I did which is extremely thorough, so at this point I'm pretty much counting it as a lost purchase that I'll have refunded through Steam. I posted here because it was a support suggestion, if it gets fixed before I refund it then that'll be great but there's no reason to believe that at this point in time.

  18. #18
    Originally Posted by Gigaguy777
    I never heard of any major launch issues with a single one of the games I listed, while there were some minor ones, they were all fixable and non-gamebreaking, so they're not comparable. I get that some people have issues others don't, thing is that doesn't really matter, as developers should account for that, and this is not a new title. This came out a very long time ago, there's no excuse for these issues to still exist after so long post-release. I am not certain it will be fixed in due time as development of patches seems to have ended, with the last one being quite a while ago, and no mention of patches in development.

    As for helping out with a patch if it happens to be being made, I've given them everything I can, full system specifications and a list of what I did which is extremely thorough, so at this point I'm pretty much counting it as a lost purchase that I'll have refunded through Steam. I posted here because it was a support suggestion, if it gets fixed before I refund it then that'll be great but there's no reason to believe that at this point in time.
    AFAIK, the patches are still coming. Between 1.6 and 1.5 was almost 2 months. So I would be patient. I believe the next patch will be a big one as the sound and save issues for the PC should be resolved. EIDOS has not given up on the patch work yet.
    MSI 990FXA GD65 / AMD 4.2MHz Qcore / (2) XFX HD7970 / 16Gig 1600FBS Corsar / Recon 3D / Win7 x64