Thread: Sixth Patch for Thief, v1.6 build 4158.14

Sixth Patch for Thief, v1.6 build 4158.14

Sixth Patch for Thief, v1.6 build 4158.14

Hello everyone,

We have just made public a new version of the PC version of Thief, v1.6 build 4158.14 This patch will be applied by Steam automatically when you next start the game. If your game does not update, please restart the Steam client.
    This patch will address the following issues.
    • Fixed several issues with AMD Mantle and specific hardware configurations

While we expect this patch to be an improvement for everyone, if you do have trouble with this patch and prefer to stay on the old version we made a Beta available on Steam, v1.5 build 4158.5, that can be used to switch back to the previous version

Step 1: Go to your STEAM library and select Thief in your game list
    Step 2: right-click on the game and go to properties
    Step 3: go to the Betas tab in the properties menu
    Step 4: select version_1.5 and press ok.

This will set you back to the original released version of the game.
    We will keep monitoring for feedback and will release further patches as it seems required. We always welcome your feedback!

Thank you, I hope it fixes some audio issues.

Originally Posted by Gortch
    Thank you, I hope it fixes some audio issues.
    It only fixes mantle. Says right there in the release note. Pretty disappointing, are they ignoring the issues.

Originally Posted by New Horizon
    It only fixes mantle. Says right there in the release note. Pretty disappointing, are they ignoring the issues.
    weird and sad ... the sign is about if we need to buy next game from Eidos

Well, "the Drop" cut scene still freezes (since this was still not addressed). I have decided to play the game through anyway. I am beginning to see the audio issues. Although not significant, it is a bit disappointing. Thief relies on audio positioning due to the nature of the game. Still, the game itself is good. The rest of the cut scenes seem to be working fine. I think they addressed the "Mantle" issue first, and heard they are working on a major patch for audio issues (almost complete I think).

It is one of those things where new games come out and have all sorts of issues because there wasn't enough time to thoroughly beta test. It is happening with many new titles. They set a release date in stone and they ship it out, no matter what condition it is in. That's just the way it is.
    MSI 990FXA GD65 / AMD 4.2MHz Qcore / (2) XFX HD7970 / 16Gig 1600FBS Corsar / Recon 3D / Win7 x64

Yes they are. I even attempted to contact Nixxes himself, but with no response. I was respectful as heck. No response. All that delay, for a patch that does NOTHING to address the main issue. Audio.

It is one of those things where new games come out and have all sorts of issues because there wasn't enough time to thoroughly beta test. It is happening with many new titles.
    Hehe, sadly sometimes it doesn't come down to lack of testing but lack of interest by the developers to invest more time fixing it. The more time that passes, the less likely a fix will ever come. I would be curious to know how many coders are working on these Thief patches now.

They set a release date in stone and they ship it out, no matter what condition it is in. That's just the way it is.
    Yep, I see that all the time here at work. I've logged some pretty significant bugs only to see them 'waived' in favor of pushing out the release. Maybe they'll fix them later, but I find it pretty shameful to see games pushed out with pretty major loss of function.

Hopefully they'll fix the audio issues with the game, but I have a feeling is rooted pretty deep and for a Thief game to have gone out like this after so many years in development is ridiculous.

Hehe, sadly sometimes it doesn't come down to lack of testing but lack of interest by the developers to invest more time fixing it. The more time that passes, the less likely a fix will ever come. I would be curious to know how many coders are working on these Thief patches now.

Yep, I see that all the time here at work. I've logged some pretty significant bugs only to see them 'waived' in favor of pushing out the release. Maybe they'll fix them later, but I find it pretty shameful to see games pushed out with pretty major loss of function.

Hopefully they'll fix the audio issues with the game, but I have a feeling is rooted pretty deep and for a Thief game to have gone out like this after so many years in development is ridiculous.
    Yes sir, that is what the beta testing is for. The testers find the bugs, and the development team fixes them. Soft companies need to release "ETA" on games in development. And only when beta testing is near completion. EIDOS is not the only company doing that. I think every new title that comes out has this very same issue. In about a year, Thief will be working perfectly (if the company continues to support the game and update it regularly). I remember Skyrim have many issues that made the game "unplayable for some PC's" for the first few months until they sorted out all the major bugs. To me this is nothing new, but I think it demonstrates the integrity of the industry. And that integrity is not good.
    MSI 990FXA GD65 / AMD 4.2MHz Qcore / (2) XFX HD7970 / 16Gig 1600FBS Corsar / Recon 3D / Win7 x64

Originally Posted by Nixxes
    Now if only AMD would do some work on Crossfire support for the game... Enabling Crossfire still results in slower frame rate and more stuttering using two R9 290 cards.

Originally Posted by Nixxes
    Hello everyone,

Help, stereoscopic 3d with mantle still not working with 7970

DX11 launch HD3D

Mantle launch HD3D

The lockpicking is broken on PC... if you get the "visualize inner lock mechanisms" power up, you can get a different minigame for lock picking when using focus, but it's impossible on PC.

When you use the focus, the world should get slower to let you be faster, but the game acts like if the mouse is an analog stick, the speed correspond to a particular angle of the analog stick... once you stop, it's like on neutral position so the pick resets...

It's impossible.

I do hope they are still working on the audio and cut scene problems (as well as any save issues) for Thief.

Well, here's hoping for 1.7!

Originally Posted by Poseidon
    I do hope they are still working on the audio and cut scene problems (as well as any save issues) for Thief.

Well, here's hoping for 1.7!

Anything is possible, but at this late stage I would not be holding my breath for any major fixes like that. Possible yes, but...

hey guys, i recently bought thief 4 and on attempting to run it i get the fatal error Failed to initialize direct3d...i am running windows vista ultimate and attempted the platform update Windows Vista KB971644, and it says my system does not require it, i have updated all my geforce drivers and checked all other related solutions nothing has helped so far, any advice?

Originally Posted by Ragingbullcow
    hey guys, i recently bought thief 4 and on attempting to run it i get the fatal error Failed to initialize direct3d...i am running windows vista ultimate and attempted the platform update Windows Vista KB971644, and it says my system does not require it, i have updated all my geforce drivers and checked all other related solutions nothing has helped so far, any advice?
    Yes, what are your system specs?

Anything is possible, but at this late stage I would not be holding my breath for any major fixes like that. Possible yes, but...
    Not reassuring. Thief does play well enough. But it does need a few fixes. A few major ones IMO. We will have to wait and see.