Page 6 of 7 First First ... 234567 Last

Thread: Update regarding recent save game issues

Update regarding recent save game issues

Hi,
    i am playing on Xbox One, Germany Time Zone.
    On March the 30th i startet Chapter 4.
    I advanced on 31th and April 1st but have not copleted the chapter. No problem with the save.
    When loading the save on April the 2nd, there was a short noticed about "synchronizing" and then my progress in chapter 4 was lost, i am a the beginning of the chapter. There is only one Save, which is from march the 30th.

I tried disconnecting from Internet (yesterday on April the 3rd) and setting date to April the 8th. i am still at the beginning of chapter 4.

Tried this morning (April 4th) with Internet, still only one savegame vom March 30th, beginning from Chapter 4.

Question1:
    Is my progress lost from Chapter 4?
    What happend to the data? And shouldnt be there a Backup in the Cloud?

Question 2:
    How save is it to restart Chapter 4 including finishing it?
    I have read different posts in this Forum and on Fb.

Thx,
    Robert

Originally Posted by Dentlmann
    Hi,
    i am playing on Xbox One, Germany Time Zone.
    On March the 30th i startet Chapter 4.
    I advanced on 31th and April 1st but have not copleted the chapter. No problem with the save.
    When loading the save on April the 2nd, there was a short noticed about "synchronizing" and then my progress in chapter 4 was lost, i am a the beginning of the chapter. There is only one Save, which is from march the 30th.

I tried disconnecting from Internet (yesterday on April the 3rd) and setting date to April the 8th. i am still at the beginning of chapter 4.

Tried this morning (April 4th) with Internet, still only one savegame vom March 30th, beginning from Chapter 4.

Question1:
    Is my progress lost from Chapter 4?
    What happend to the data? And shouldnt be there a Backup in the Cloud?

Question 2:
    How save is it to restart Chapter 4 including finishing it?
    I have read different posts in this Forum and on Fb.

Thx,
    Robert
    Hi there, from now, online, synced and connected you should be able to load up the save game that was looping and continue on from there, without losing any more progress. As i said in the original post there would be a chance you'd have to replay the chapter you were in, but once cleared no more progress would be lost..

So try putting your deck back as normal, set to today etc.. and load up your save, play through, make a manual save etc.. and when you get to next chapter/mission etc it will let you continue fine

So in direct answer to your questions...
    1 - There was a chance progress in a chapter could be lost, seems you have had this happen. The date system was incorrectly seeing your newer saves as older, so thought the original save was most recent. Anything made after it kept invalidating so didnt store
    2 - Now everything is cleared you should be able to continue from that save game and progress normally..
    www.imdb.me/jasonwalker <-thas me hehe
    Twitter: @jaywalker2309
    - My opinion is my own and not that of the company.

Hi again,

thx for your detailed answer, and no phrases or robot answer.
    Thank you very much for that.

Anyway i am unhappy about repeating the whole chapter.

Regards,
    Robert

Originally Posted by Dentlmann
    Hi again,

thx for your detailed answer, and no phrases or robot answer.
    Thank you very much for that.

Anyway i am unhappy about repeating the whole chapter.

Regards,
    Robert
    Let me know if it all goes well yeh?

Ta

In response to your question, Jaycw2309, I am in the US, East Coast, and the save in my system is not dated 3/31 (although originally it was). As I shared, I have been advancing in the game by disconnecting from the Internet and setting the clock ahead. [Note to Richard (Dentlmann): you have to reboot the X-Box One after disabling the Internet. This requires holding the button on the console, not just shutting the system off from the controller. After this, in order to play beyond where the game is looping, the date must be advanced and you must not reconnect to the Internet.] However, after doing all of this, and getting to Chapter 3, I decided to reconnect to the Internet based upon what Jaycw2309 shared above. Despite playing through Chapter 3 again, after the mission is complete, instead of going back to the Clock Tower, the mission reloads at the beginning as if I have not played it at all. There are only three saves in the system: the Chapter Start save dated 04/08/2014 20:42:16; the Last Checkpoint save dated 04/04/2014 09:10:25; and the Last Manual Save dated 04/04/2014 09:07:17. I am once again stuck in a perpetual loop of playing the same chapter...unless I apply the fix I described. Can you shed any further light on this Jaycw2309?

Jay, this is my problem. I downloaded the game on PS3 from the PSN. I was playing the game on April 1st. My last save was from April 1st 7:32 PM (so says the Saved Data Utility section) and the location of the save was in the city somewhere not in any specific chapter. When I turned off the console and turned it back on. The game now says my last saved progress was March 31st at 12:47 all the way back to the Hand Tailored job at the very beginning.

Have I lost ALL my progress in the city since this save? Do I need to do everything I did again from this location? You said people may need to restart chapters. But I don't have that issue, I was not sent to the clock tower, I was sent here.

I'm afraid to play from this point, on the off chance it may save and screw everything up. But if my Saved Data Utility clearly says saved on April 1st. 7:32 where is that file? Cause I can't find it at all. Or is this all part of the problem the game encountered.

If you can PLEASE answer me back to let me know if I have to start from this location again or not I would appreciate it. My country is the US. My time zone is Eastern.

Latest update

Now, even the reset date/disconnect from Internet does not work. Repeating and completing Chapter 3 (or returning to the city and trying to load a different area) returns me to the beginning of Chapter 3. So, how do we get a refund on this game? It has become unplayable.

April 4th and the problem that was supposed to go away on April 3rd continues.... I deleted my old save and restarted the game from the beginning. Luckily I was only on Chapter 2 so I only lost 3 hours of gameplay. So far Everything is fine with my new game I am on Chapter 1 Lockdown. Don't think this Issue is going to go away on it's own and I think a lot of peoples save files are corrupted and they are going to have to restart like I did.

Originally Posted by bigo1984
    April 4th and the problem that was supposed to go away on April 3rd continues.... I deleted my old save and restarted the game from the beginning. Luckily I was only on Chapter 2 so I only lost 3 hours of gameplay. So far Everything is fine with my new game I am on Chapter 1 Lockdown. Don't think this Issue is going to go away on it's own and I think a lot of peoples save files are corrupted and they are going to have to restart like I did.
    I'm in the same boat, but I'm not restarting. I'll just trade this game in and tell everyone I know to avoid it and future Eidos Montreal games.

Inexcusable.

Hm... Two hints for this situation and life in general:

1. It's just a Video-Game
    2. Have patience

I'd rather have my money - returned.

I had to set my date ahead to get the game to work. New patch is out, same damn problem, this patch did absolutely nothing.

Originally Posted by EverestMan
    I had to set my date ahead to get the game to work. New patch is out, same damn problem, this patch did absolutely nothing.
    Ah i'd replied to your other post.. I am guessing you didnt make a backup copy of your saves before you set your date forward? i've seen a few posts with suggestions on how to correct the date, but now am trying to find them cannot they are on the steam community hub page

This seems to have worked. From the Steam community.

"For those stuck in this loop with files from April 8th or whatever, here's what i finally did and it has worked for me. I saw a similar suggestion in another thread.

This is what I did and it worked,

Run the game, make a quick save in your chapter, note the sav file that gets the updated timestamp (i.e., thief100i.sav)

Make a copy of ALL your sav files in "Steam\userdata\[account#]\239160\remote" as a backup

for each sav file except for profile.sav make a copy of thief100i.sav and then rename it to one of the others.

Example,
    thief100i - Copy.sav --> thief0c.sav
    thief100i - Copy.sav --> thief0i.sav
    thief100i - Copy.sav --> thief0r.sav

and so on. Now run the game and play. Of course you can't retun to the City or another save since they are now all identical. However finish out your chapter and you're back in business. Better than starting over.

I hope this never happens again"

Good info, EverestMan. Glad that works for Steam users. Unfortunately, X-Box One users do not have that level of control over save game files. :-(

And, Valorin...good advice. Yes, it is just a video game. But, one for which some long-time Thief/Eidos fans paid $60. How long should one wait to get a resolution for this kind of problem? Jay said the problem was resolved but, apparently, that is not the case. It would be easier to be patient if more information was made available with respect to what Eidos is doing in this regard.

I understand that it can be frustrating especially when you paid so much for a game, but bugs happen and as far as I noticed, the devs are on it and also very helpful in this thread. There is a problem with a game they developed (which happens often) and now they try to fix it. It's only fair to wait and meanwhile I can do the housework and feed the children...

Originally Posted by jaycw2309
    If my theory holds water, yes *fingers crossed*

PC should be fixed by 4133.3 patch released this morning.. can you check you got the patch okay? and you didnt manually set your date forward to try and fix it..
    I didn't do anything yet no, but some hours after my post it worked again

So here' my problem. I had the same game save problem locked in the tower, couldnt get out, kept ground hog dayin'. I used the quick fix to change my system time to 4/10/2014. I was able to play more while i was off line. I did multiple manual saves here and there. And went and got the Sideshow attraction client job. I played through that, completed it, turned it in, reconnected to Xbox live and then went to bed. (shut down the system too).

Now when I log on, I'm at the start of the Sideshow mission even though i had about an hour past it. The save data is 4/10/2014 08:44:09 and my manual saves after this job aren't there. So i've:
    1. Went off line and changed the data to April 3rd and ran the mission. Hoping this would then overwrite the 4/10 data. Nope it just restarts me in the beginning of the mission
    2. Went through the mission online, hoping that would then overwrite all the saves to the correct date. Nope still started me over when I finish at 4/10.
    3. went through the game offline, then went online right at the end, still same results.

What should I do? Will i need to wait 72 hours past the 4/10 date? Or delete the save file while in the game so it saves correctly? But then when it syncs to Xbox live, the 4/10 save will be back again. Not sure if this matters but i'm on the west coast.

Thanks!

Dragnfire, you have described exactly the same scenario that I have been dealing with (although I have been stuck at Chapter 3, Dirty Secrets). As no further guidance has come since my last post in this regard, I had decided to wait until the actual date reaches the date to which I had previously set the X-Box One (in my case, April 8th). I will post to this forum whether or not the issue is resolved at that time.

Does seem like you guys have got yourselves into an extended cycle of the issue. Whereas some people who put the date forward seemed to have recovered fine, they must have done some other things to safeguard their setup which they've not mentioned or didnt realise was necessary info.. With the 8th thats not too bad as its only tomorrow..

Originally Posted by Arphaxad
    Dragnfire, you have described exactly the same scenario that I have been dealing with (although I have been stuck at Chapter 3, Dirty Secrets). As no further guidance has come since my last post in this regard, I had decided to wait until the actual date reaches the date to which I had previously set the X-Box One (in my case, April 8th). I will post to this forum whether or not the issue is resolved at that time.
    Arphaxad,
    Thanks for your response and fingers crossed. I look forward to you getting back in and playing :-). Though through this thread there was a point where it said the broken cycle stopped 72 hours after the date set. You might have to wait until the 10th to be 100% sure.
    Dragn

Free at last...from the endless loop!

Hi Dragn,

It appears that the problem is over. I waited until after the date and time stamp on the save file which had previously been set ahead. I am now able to advance in the game. In looking back over this issue and reading all of the information I could find on the Internet, I find it hard not to believe there was malicious intent behind it all. Some have speculated a former, disgruntled employee was responsible. However, Jay said, "Basically, it’s an issue with the mathematical calculations of time-stamps from March 30th – April 2nd, which meant systems didn’t recognize the most recent time-stamp and instead took the previous time-stamp save (re-starting the level). So if you saved your game on March 30th, you may have experienced a disruption yesterday on April 1st and if you saved your game on March 31st, you may have experienced disruption yesterday April 1st and today April 2nd." I keep wondering...why April 1st? I guess we will never know. Just hope it doesn't happen again.

Originally Posted by Arphaxad
    Hi Dragn,

It appears that the problem is over. I waited until after the date and time stamp on the save file which had previously been set ahead. I am now able to advance in the game. In looking back over this issue and reading all of the information I could find on the Internet, I find it hard not to believe there was malicious intent behind it all. Some have speculated a former, disgruntled employee was responsible. However, Jay said, "Basically, it’s an issue with the mathematical calculations of time-stamps from March 30th – April 2nd, which meant systems didn’t recognize the most recent time-stamp and instead took the previous time-stamp save (re-starting the level). So if you saved your game on March 30th, you may have experienced a disruption yesterday on April 1st and if you saved your game on March 31st, you may have experienced disruption yesterday April 1st and today April 2nd." I keep wondering...why April 1st? I guess we will never know. Just hope it doesn't happen again.
    I hope it never happens again as well and good to know. I will wait till the 10th and hope this drama is over. yea why the 1st? lol

I have got through the recent save problem now my game won't load and keeps taking me to the Xbox one home screen.... Why is this happening i have rebooted my system and everything and i need some answers ...

I have gotten through the recent save issue and played for 2 days after it was fixed now my game won't load and returns me back to the Home screen of Xbox One ... i have rebooted my device and everything and I'm out of solutions ...does anyone have help ?????

Hello

I have been playing your fantastic game since it came out and I have played through this amazing reboot from begging to end without a issue. I have decided to replay for a tougher challenge and have come across the issue that seems to be hurting many people here.

I am playing on X Box 360 and have started [playing for the last 3 or 4 days and have tried everything from stopping the looping save file issue. Its always random of which one it does it from the opening act, to the first job for Ecter and most recently this morning as of 4/23/14 at 2:35pm with the bank heist as I complete the mission is recognizes that I have completed it but then either restarts me at my previous manual save or start of the mission save.

I have made attempts to delete and restart my file 3 times, uninstall re install the game data onto my machine, and even the basic return to the city and go back to my file.

PLEASE HELP! I really want to keep playing this game!

Page 6 of 7 First First ... 234567 Last