Thread: Update regarding recent save game issues

Update regarding recent save game issues

Hi Jay. It is probably not caused by the daylight saving change. There was a post by someone from Malaysia and he reported that they didn't change time in his country but he still got he issue.

Also to me it would sound logical if the problem manifests if the time went backwards. Because imagine you play the game and save it at 3:58am, then suddenly 2 minutes later it is 3:00am again. In that case if you make a new save at 3:10am and load the last save, it would load the one that is from 3:58am (which is earlier save) not from 3:10am (which is actually the last one). But now the time went forward for summer change.

Anyway the issue doesn't seem connected to the time change.

Yeh thanks, am just trying to cover every possible option thats available date/time wise..
    www.imdb.me/jasonwalker <-thas me hehe
    Twitter: @jaywalker2309
    - My opinion is my own and not that of the company.

I want to add something else - I don't know when the time is changed in the other countries but here in Bulgaria it was changed on March 30th at 3:00am. I played Thief on 30th and 31th. If the problem was caused by the time change theoretically I would notice the problem on 31th. However on that day everything was running fine. I saved and loaded multiple times as I played a lot in that day.

I haven't played since then and I cannot tell if my game will loop now. I'm just afraid to lose all my saves. I even backup the saves in the Steam folder. Now I'm waiting for the community to report that everything is fixed so that I can continue.

I'm working in a software company and I know very well that sometimes when you fix something it happens to break another thing. I understand that this process requires a lot of testing and this is why I'm patient. For now.

Our daylight savings change is this weekend. I will leave feedback tonight after I try the crossover time

Pwyll - PC patch just released.

Originally Posted by jaycw2309
    A patch/fix is not as quick/simple as people seem to envisage.. Sounds silly but first we need to find exactly what was causing it.. The effect was `obvious` but exactly WHAT was causing it to happen, not so.. once the cause is found it is then fixed. THEN because its a part of the save game mechanic it has to be fully tested from beginning to end, because whilst it could fix this issue it could knock something else out of balance.. That takes time too..
    For consoles there is then the need to package this up and send for testing and approval at first party. This all takes time am afraid..

Don't worry. Lately it seems to be perfectly acceptable to charge money for a faulty product.

Take all the time you need
    I couldn't care less since I don't feel like playing Thief at all with the broken sound propagation.

Pwyll - PC patch just released.
    That was unexpected pleasant surprise. I hope it fixes the loop. I read the release notes and it looks like an awesome patch.

Tried again at 8 pm. It let me play. On with chalet 6 .

Basically, it’s an issue with the mathematical calculations of time-stamps from March 30th – April 2nd, which meant systems didn’t recognise the most recent time-stamp and instead took the previous time-stamp save (re-starting the level). So if you saved your game on March 30th, you may have experienced a disruption yesterday on April 1st and if you saved your game on March 31st, you may have experienced disruption yesterday April 1st and today April 2nd.
    Sounds really fishy to me, how is 31 March to April 1st and 2nd any special that it messes up there? Did you guys use your in house date management solution? If so why? Wouldn't using boost or such be much better and safer thing to do?
    How would that be funny?

Thanks Jay, my saves are working correctly now.

Originally Posted by GruntFX
    ooh so 72 hours after your chapter save its carried on? thats great news..

Originally Posted by Whelkie
    Thanks Jay, my saves are working correctly now.
    Where you based? which platform? all normal settings yeh? so not changed anything?

I'm in Tokyo so no DST alterations here. Using PC and Steam which I assume automatically updated to the new patch. I didn't change any settings on my PC or in game, did lose my saved games after 31st March though. Thanks again for fixing this.

Originally Posted by Whelkie
    I'm in Tokyo so no DST alterations here. Using PC and Steam which I assume automatically updated to the new patch. I didn't change any settings on my PC or in game, did lose my saved games after 31st March though. Thanks again for fixing this.
    Ah yes PC version has had a patch pushed live this morning.. PC patching is SO much easier and quicker turnaround for us..

Originally Posted by GruntFX
    Were you PC or console?

Still having problems

I'm still having the same loop problem and now its 1.22 pm CET on April 3.
    The automatic chapter save for Chapter 7 on March 31 still appears to be the latest save to the system. It doesn't matter how many manual saves I do, it still reverets back to the March 31 save if I die or load the "Latest Save".

The weird thing though is if I exit to town and enter another area. Then the automatic save is replaced by another automatic save. If I enter the Load menu I can see that the old Chapter 7 save from March 31 is no longer there, but instead there's a save for, say, Clock Tower on April 3, that is the latest automatic save ... so all good!

BUT if I do Load Latest, then I'm returned to the beginning on Chapter 7 again and voila ... the old save from March 31 has magically reapeared.

It doesn't matter if I exit the chapter and reenter (the system then saves automatically) the old March 31 save is back ..

What should I do? I'm at the ending of the game and starting from the beginning is not an option ...

Originally Posted by Disc0Stu_
    I'm still having the same loop problem and now its 1.22 pm CET on April 3.
    The automatic chapter save for Chapter 7 on March 31 still appears to be the latest save to the system. It doesn't matter how many manual saves I do, it still reverets back to the March 31 save if I do or load the "Latest Save".

The weird thing though is if I exit to town and enter another area. Then the automatic save is replaced by another automatic save. If I enter the Load menu I can see that the old Chapter 7 save from March 31 is no longer there, but instead there's a save for, say, Clock Tower on April 3, that is the latest automatic save ... BUT if I do Load Latest, then I'm returned to the beginning on Chapter 7 again and voila ... the old save from March 31 has magically reapeared.

It doesn't matter if I exit the chapter and reenter (the system then saves automatically) the old March 31 save is back ..

What should I do? I'm at the ending of the game and starting from the beginning is not an option ...
    What exactly is the time/date on the last chapter save that its looping you to? you say 31st but dont mention the time it shows.. oh and which platform are you on?

Jay the exact time stamp on my kids save is this.

Time Played 14H 14M and 50S
    Date March 31st
    Chapter 4
    System Xbox 1

It just loops him back to the start of chapter 4 during a load spot half way through. When my son goes past the shady merchant and follows his main mission objective into the crawl space, instead of loading the next area it puts him back at the start.

Guys just give them a few more days to fix this. We do not want to make them rush something through to fast and they have to correct it again. Good luck guys will check back later I am off to work. Everyone post your exact time stamps here if possible mabe it will help them fix this.

I'm on Xbox One. Opened the game today at 12:30pm and am still having this issue. When will you be releasing a patch update for XB1?

Originally Posted by TheBringerOfDearh
    Jay the exact time stamp on my kids save is this.

Time Played 14H 14M and 50S
    Date March 31st
    Chapter 4

It just loops him back to the start of chapter 4 during a load spot half way through. When my son goes past the shady merchant and follows his main mission objective into the crawl space, instead of loading the next area it puts him back at the start.

Guys just give them a few more days to fix this. We do not want to make them rush something through to fast and they have to correct it again. Good luck guys will check back later I am off to work. Everyone post your exact time stamps here if possible mabe it will help them fix this.
    If my current theory about exact timings is correct then at 230pm today your save games should continue to work properly (its 753am there yeh?) so in 6.5 hours you should be beyond 72 hours difference..

let me know how it goes?

Originally Posted by discodiva
    I'm on Xbox One. Opened the game today at 12:30pm and am still having this issue. When will you be releasing a patch update for XB1?
    As am saying to everyone, what is exact time/date of the save game you are being looped back to. it will be 31st March but what time?

Yeah Jay I will let you know np. It's almost 8:00 A.M. here so yeah your right on with my time. I live in OH so eastern for me. I will not be home but my kid gets home at 3 P.M. It should only take him about 15m max to get to that spot where it just takes him back to the start.

But if you are right then all should be good and I will let you know asap.

It says time 20.32
    I'm on Xbox One.

Hey,

I'm still having this save loop problem on chapter 3.

On XBone
    Save which it keeps reverting to is 31/3/14 @ 17:58:46 GMT

Hopefully this will sort soon? I'm tired of doing this chapter over and over... Even though I still can't find all the collectibles!! :-0

Originally Posted by TheBringerOfDearh
    Yeah Jay I will let you know np. It's almost 8:00 A.M. here so yeah your right on with my time. I live in OH so eastern for me. I will not be home but my kid gets home at 3 P.M. It should only take him about 15m max to get to that spot where it just takes him back to the start.

But if you are right then all should be good and I will let you know asap.
    Fingers crossed.. i am 5 hours ahead, so i will probably at home then but will be online checking

Originally Posted by Disc0Stu_
    It says time 20.32
    I'm on Xbox One.
    You are in Sweden? so again in just over 6 hours would suspect your saves will continue to work normally

Originally Posted by StuCam2000
    Hey,

I'm still having this save loop problem on chapter 3.

On XBone
    Save which it keeps reverting to is 31/3/14 @ 17:58:46 GMT

Hopefully this will sort soon? I'm tired of doing this chapter over and over... Even though I still can't find all the collectibles!! :-0
    So if its GMT thats just under 5 hours from now, or possibly +/- 1 hour as we're now BST so that COULD be 4:58pm its fine or 6:58pm its fine.

I really have to get going but this is just a thought.

Could the developers of Thief just delete the "Auto Save" feature? It just seems like it is what could possibly be a problem. Most players are smart enough to save there own game as they go. I just ask this because I found a few people on some other sites suggesting this.

Anyway I will let you guys know if it is fixed in a few hours on my end.

Thanks.. I'll try again later tonight then

Originally Posted by StuCam2000
    Thanks.. I'll try again later tonight then
    keep us updated.. again apologies for the inconvenience of all this

Page 3 of 7 First First 1234567 Last