Thread: Full PC freeze on Chapter 2 and Xbox360 controller failure

Full PC freeze on Chapter 2 and Xbox360 controller failure

Full PC freeze on Chapter 2 and Xbox360 controller failure

First off all, I am pretty pissed and surprised at the same time...

This game runs on the U3 engine which is a rather old tool, dozens of games running on it and yet here is Thief failing at simple things like getting a similar old controller to work properly!

I am waiting for a playable game since release and barely touched it yet but today I tried again and had enough.

My autosave set me at the start of Chapter 2: Dust to Dust and my whole system would go in full lock up whenever the cut scene starts, only way to avoid this was to set down the details to very low, although I can play the game on Very High otherwise.
    When the cut scene ended and I could finally - after turn off and on again my PC for 3 times - enter the actual game, I went to climb up a ladder, looked around, decided to take another route and wanted to climb down the ladder back to the severs when the random "Hello, I am Thief and I gonna think now that you constantly press the left trigger" happened and I couldn't leave the damn ladder.
    Whenever I reached the end of said ladder, the glued left trigger thing would re-climb the ladder instantly so that I was stuck at the lower end of the ladder looping the same stupid animation...

What the f***?!

And instead of fixing the real issues, some useless PR-patch is released. Great job... this reminds of the Total War: Rome 2 when it comes to screwed up releases. Everyone involved should be ashamed about this release.

Get it fixed and spare me with lame-ass excuses. Have a nice day.

Unfortunately I have to bump my own topic.

I had such high hopes when I noticed the new patch 1.4 but none of the above has been fixed or addressed.

My PC still hangs at the start of the cutscene to Chapter 2: Dust to Dust. Only thing that I can do at that point is turning it off and on again.
    And the left trigger button of my Xbox360 controller is still not working properly and keeps hanging in "running stance" although no button press is applied.

Anyone knows if those are reasons enough to contact the publisher for a refund? Is it even possibly with a Steam purchase?

Shamfur dispray!

Originally Posted by benkei
    Unfortunately I have to bump my own topic.

I had such high hopes when I noticed the new patch 1.4 but none of the above has been fixed or addressed.

My PC still hangs at the start of the cutscene to Chapter 2: Dust to Dust. Only thing that I can do at that point is turning it off and on again.
    And the left trigger button of my Xbox360 controller is still not working properly and keeps hanging in "running stance" although no button press is applied.

Anyone knows if those are reasons enough to contact the publisher for a refund? Is it even possibly with a Steam purchase?

Shamfur dispray!
    My system runs Thief just fine. But the cut scenes freeze like you have stated. I have not played Thief yet with the new patch, so I am going to test this shortly. Xbox might be different, but all in all, many have voiced there frustrations over the "save game" and sound issues.

I feel that the proper blame for this situation is not the developers, rather the company execs for not allowing a solid full beta test of the game. They set a release date in stone, and sometimes developers need more time to resolve issues during beta testing. If anything, the developers have done a great job with Thief! Problem is that they did not have enough time to test the game out properly. From what I have seen, Thief is a fantastic game! Just need time to resolve issues as many new titles do. To me, it seems that every new title that comes out, is not playable until a few months, to a year after release. A am a Thief junky.... The story is good (although others here may disagree with me) and the game looks beautiful (again, other will disagree) but the point here is that we all are passionate about thief, even when it's buggy like this.

Well,

Cut scenes still freezes up in the middle of "The Drop" after 1.4. Just have to be patient until the devs can figure this one out. Like I said before, the cut scenes are the story lines, so this is rather important to me. Everything else seems good. No audio issues (yet) that I can detect. Save's are good as far as I know, but cut scenes just simply freeze up. I will wait and see if there is another patch that will address this issue. I am sure in time, this will get fixed. Just have to be patient.
    MSI 990FXA GD65 / AMD 4.2MHz Qcore / (2) XFX HD7970 / 16Gig 1600FBS Corsar / Recon 3D / Win7 x64

Just a bump. Hope the devs are aware of this issue and patch 1.5 fixes this.
    MSI 990FXA GD65 / AMD 4.2MHz Qcore / (2) XFX HD7970 / 16Gig 1600FBS Corsar / Recon 3D / Win7 x64

Update:

New Cat drivers (ATI catalyst drivers 14.4) improve over all performance with Thief, but the cut scene freezes still continue. Again, waiting patiently for the next patch to repair this problem.

Still hoping they actually fix it.

Same for the controller issue: the trigger still gets randomly stuck.

I haven't played on yet. I refuse to touch the game as long as it's not working properly.

Originally Posted by benkei
    Still hoping they actually fix it.

Same for the controller issue: the trigger still gets randomly stuck.

I haven't played on yet. I refuse to touch the game as long as it's not working properly.
    Same. I can play it, but without the cut scenes (the biggest one especially) it is pretty pointless. As for the controllers, I have not read that much of that has gone on. But, it may be a bug for sure. I'm sure you have checked the controller with other systems/games to ensure it is working properly?

Anyway, just have to be patient. I am confident they will get this sorted out.

Yea, Thief is the only game I have issues with my controller.
    Every other game is working properly with it.

Wait, you're playing on PC and using an X360 controller?

....BLASPHEMER! I sentence you to be stoned unto death! Praise the Builder.

Seriously though, have you tried putting the graphics all on low?

Originally Posted by darklune

I have tried to reduce the GFX levels to no avail. Seems something just locks up the cut scenes right in the middle of them. Even if that did work, I would have to stop, set the GFX to low, then continue, then reset the GFX back to high when the cut scene ends. That's not good. And, that should be easy to fix if that is the issue here. It has not been fixed. Just hoping that gets taken care of in the next release. I know others here have had sound and save game problems, but they are on the way to being fixed already.

My Recon 3D card runs everything great actually. It is just the pesky cut scene problem. Again, hope they get that fixed soon.

Originally Posted by darklune

Well, for obvious console ports like this one... Yes, I do.

I think this is a bug with ATI drivers, because I only have lockups with Chapter 2 Dust to Dust and going to BIG SCREEN on Steam. It was the same type of lockup/hang just after BIG SCREEN loaded (which I accidentally loaded). I wonder where do I have to report this.

Originally Posted by matcarfer
    I think this is a bug with ATI drivers, because I only have lockups with Chapter 2 Dust to Dust and going to BIG SCREEN on Steam. It was the same type of lockup/hang just after BIG SCREEN loaded (which I accidentally loaded). I wonder where do I have to report this.
    Are you talking about the cut scene freezes?