Thread: AUDIO ISSUES - collecting them to one place for the developers (for patchwork).

AUDIO ISSUES - collecting them to one place for the developers (for patchwork).

Originally Posted by Master Taffer
    He's extremely busy right now.
    I assume you have already relayed our current concerns on Audio, updating that we know the issues are still not fixed? Not spamming their box of course, but simply that the issues require addressing.

Originally Posted by FrumpyTheClown
    I assume you have already relayed our current concerns on Audio, updating that we know the issues are still not fixed? Not spamming their box of course, but simply that the issues require addressing.
    They are already aware; they read the board, after all. Sending a new message would accomplish nothing.
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

Ch.7 The Hidden City

The service elevator's sound stops just before Garret observes and comments the pit and then plays again. Can someone confirm this?

I can't confirm since I haven't played past first meeting Basso for your first mission request from him. I do believe you and await a fix for that among other sound issues.

I have been enjoying this game very much so far. But these audio issues are quite immersion breaking.

Another issue that I noticed is when you are at the shady merchant and you are browsing the inventory, there is almost no sound at all. There is a sound effect when you choose an item but otherwise it is completely silent. There should be some basic ambient music or the merchant should say something every so often (not the same thing over and over like the other npcs).

When you are talking to Basso or the Queen of Beggars, as you are looking at their respective inventories, you see the character hanging out in the background there as you look. For the merchant though, it goes into a separate menu completely. Not audio related, but inconsistent nonetheless.

That issue with Garret talking right before loading screens and hearing the last couple of words after loading is ridiculous. It sucks because there's no log or anything you can refer to see what was spoken. With all these audio problems, they should have released the script with the game so we have something to refer to when we have so many audio issues.

The npcs saying the same thing over and over I believe is insane. This problem is like a thorn in my ear.

A Thief game is make or break on audio, more than any other game genre. If audio is broken in a survival horror game, you don't have a game. Same with stealth, it's imperative.

Another issue I noticed is when I walked into the tavern with the guy pissing near the entrance. I walked in and all the npcs started talking at the same time. They were all at the same volume level (loud) and I couldn't pay attention to any of them because I didn't know who was saying what. There were about 3 conversations taking place at the same time, the subtitles were all over the place trying to keep up.
    Then they all stopped talking almost simultaneously. It went silent, then I waited for one of them to repeat what they said so I can listen in and nobody said a damn thing. So the npcs repeat when you don't want them to and don't repeat when you need them to.

Sorry about these angry posts, I am really enjoying this game otherwise but these bugs are out of control.

An issue I am encountering quite frequently is the complete absence of sound at all, just dead silence. It usually happens when zoning randomly, and the first time I experienced it was going to the Stonemarket bank. This persists until I quit the game and sometimes it will still be present upon starting it back up again. I tried deleting/re-installing and all that stuff, but no dice, still getting it on zoning sometimes. I thought it might be because I got it on Ps3, but my friend who got it for Ps4 is having the same exact issues. Usually when this happens, quitting the game will reset the console and it will beep three times at me(Which I have not had happen with any other game, Edit: I quit from the main menu, just to clarify, not mid-game. Also I always make sure the autosave Icon is not active before I quit.) Right now I am kinda afraid to play it cause I don't want it to destroy my console, just in case it is a stress issue, but my console has no problem playing other games

Like Freeza said, I am also enjoying this game, but with the audio issues it makes it frustrating and near unplayable.

To elaborate on the audio "zoning" mentioned on the op's list. The sound does not fade realistically. Naturally as you approach a sound source, it gets louder. This game seems to ignore this or it occurs randomly. Or if you walk away from a sound source it doesn't fade away.

If you are standing in the rain, you hear the rain, then climb in a window, the sound disappears. Walk backwards one pixel and the rain sound appears suddenly. It should still be audible after entering the window but lower in volume, then fade gently as you walk from the window.

I just recently played Deadly Shadows and not once did the NPCs annoy me with their banter and the audio was fantastic for a 10 year old game. It faded normally and it was positional. Not as good as many modern games, but vastly superior to this new Thief game. I honestly don't think I've played a game with more messed up audio.

Please patch this game, I think I'm going to wait a while to play it again with the hopes that this will be fixed.

This makes me so sad. The sound engine is so broken. Did TrueAudio make any difference at all? I have an Nvidia card so I can't speak for the patch.

I've always liked how in the old Thief games, Garrett would not comment on a readable until "after" you've had a chance to read it. In the new game, Garrett spoils what you're about to read by speaking his analyzing thoughts before you've had a chance to read. And I can't remember for sure, but I think your objectives update before you read, too... which is not cool.

That's too bad. Casualization and the desire to auto-whisk us through the narrative has led to an abbreviated/superficial gameplay experience.

Half the time, I press F1 very quickly just to try and beat Garrett to the spoiler punch. And to, of course, get to the readable before the game's very short "view readable now" timer ends, where pressing F1 after it elapses would then just dump you at the top-most level of the Journal's menu, where you have to go hunting for the document you just picked up.

Let's hope there is some development progress about the sound issues.

Is it just me, or do there seem to be a lot more bugs and glitches lately? What happened? There was no update for the PC? Are all these new bugs just on the console? Also, the audio issues still need to be fixed. That means sound/video synching also.

Is it just me, or do there seem to be a lot more bugs and glitches lately? What happened? There was no update for the PC? Are all these new bugs just on the console? Also, the audio issues still need to be fixed. That means sound/video synching also.
    It seems to be still a grey area with consoles, although the PC versions still have some/many audio issues from what I've heard. Honestly though, with modern games being as complex as they are I understand completely that the process of figuring out what exactly is going on is a whole lot more complicated and time consuming(Especially for PC and all of the various hardware specs they have to account for). Being that and with me having a Ps3, support will probably not be as efficient/timely as the PC patches and the newer console patches (One can dream though, haha. No slight at the creators intended .)

I still want to play the game though, I liked what was going on while I was playing till the sound cut out. The mechanics of the game felt pretty good while I was playing, and being a fan of the old thief series I understand some of the grumps people have with this reboot, but it really feels like it will be a solid game when they figure out the sound issues/bugs that people are experiencing and fix them.

Honestly though, I am one of those people that wish game studios would allow for the extra time to polish their game before getting them out on the market. I know this might be a financial risk to the studios, but man, it sucks to be hyped for a game to go pick it up and have it feel like it is something that should be still in alpha or beta stage just to reap those fast dollars. The talent is there to make these games good and sticking that out for another half a year to a year, even at a perceived loss, has the potential to create instant classics that would be blockbusters for years if done right and the passion was there.

I'm playing on the pc with the newest patches and I can assure you that there are severe audio issues abound. The graphics I think are beautiful even with the occassional graphical bugs but the audio is simply broken. The audio seems to be in some alpha stage because this sound design is not finished.

I believe this might be the fourth patch for the pc but there is a way to go. I'm holding off on playing it now as i really want to enjoy the game so I'll wait until it works.

Originally Posted by Freeza
    I'm playing on the pc with the newest patches and I can assure you that there are severe audio issues abound. The graphics I think are beautiful even with the occassional graphical bugs but the audio is simply broken. The audio seems to be in some alpha stage because this sound design is not finished.

I believe this might be the fourth patch for the pc but there is a way to go. I'm holding off on playing it now as i really want to enjoy the game so I'll wait until it works.
    Exactly, it feels unfinished, unpolished and sometimes totally broken.

One I've just come across, Chapter 5 The Forsaken, after a save and reload, the "pipe tapping" noise is completely missing, which makes solving a safe puzzle completely impossible.

I'm another person who's holding off playing the game until the sound issues are at least partway resolved. And I certainly won't be blindly pre-ordering the next Eidos game (like I did Thief) after this debacle. I also had a whole evening basically ruined by the April Fools' Bug, but these audio problems are more serious, since they're permanent.

It would be great if a staff member could give us an indication of whether or not we can expect some more sound fixes

Originally Posted by Volnaiskra
    I'm another person who's holding off playing the game until the sound issues are at least partway resolved. And I certainly won't be blindly pre-ordering the next Eidos game (like I did Thief) after this debacle. I also had a whole evening basically ruined by the April Fools' Bug, but these audio problems are more serious, since they're permanent.

It would be great if a staff member could give us an indication of whether or not we can expect some more sound fixes
    Exactly.
    I'm also one of those still waiting for sound issues to be fixed before continuing playing...
    The game is unplayable, especially with endless dialogue looping :/

To be fair, the game is not unplayable. However, it is VERY immersion-destroying. We play the Thief games because each time we come to a point where we feel we are inside Garret's boots. We are there, climbing roofs, stealing gold and quipping on the villains.
    Unimmersive, yes. Because we cannot play it and lose our immersion, this is the REASON we bought this game. If we wanted animations and flashy images as stimulus, we could play any other game. Get these sound issues fixed. Developers, I summon thee. Talk to us. Give us some kind of communication. Tell us your thoughts on these audio issues.

I updated the OP, but for some reason I start to think that this game has run its course. After 2 months of being out in the market the game sold app. 1 million retailer copies (plus an unknown number of digital/downloadable copies), which means the game was a failure (yes, for a multi-platform, high-budget AAA title it is a filure). We got 4 patches but the gaming experience hasn't improved very much because of them.

I don't mean to disrespect the people's work who put effort into fixing issues, but this game is so bugged, so unpolished that it would take more than a few patches to fix. I don't think that the developers and the publisher mean to invest more money into a product which was not profitable.

I'm also starting to become sceptical about a possible sequel. Hell, we haven't heard any news even about possible dlcs. I have a feeling that EM will leave if it hasn't left this ship already.

I've never seen the launch of a triple A Title this broken before. Sound is an INTEGRAL part of video games, period. If you have no sound you might as well have no picture as well, and there are parts of this game where the sound is COMPLETELY MISSING.

The developers and Eidos owe it to everyone who actually paid for this game to fix it. It doesn't matter if they can't make any more money on us--they need to deliver a fully functional game, period.

Originally Posted by Burbles
    I've never seen the launch of a triple A Title this broken before. Sound is an INTEGRAL part of video games, period. If you have no sound you might as well have no picture as well, and there are parts of this game where the sound is COMPLETELY MISSING.

The developers and Eidos owe it to everyone who actually paid for this game to fix it. It doesn't matter if they can't make any more money on us--they need to deliver a fully functional game, period.
    This. I don't care how many service packs they need to unleash to fix this game, it needs to be done. These aren't just a few bugs or glitches, this game is broken. Literally.

What I'm curious about is why doesn't this forum have around 150 pages by now. The sound is the biggest problem with this game and it is in very bad shape. I'm sure this game sold in the hundreds of thousands if not more than a million. There should be much more people voicing this problem.

How could this game ship in this state when they had so much time. Furthermore, for such a top notch developer, how could they let a game in this state pass QA. It looks very poorly on the whole company. I've never experienced something like this in the years I've been playing games. Considering how venerable this series is, it stings even more.

This is a sad state of affairs. If the fans are becoming disillusioned that is a bad sign. I too am worried however. My biggest issue is we have not heard from the developers. No updates, no nothing. How can the put so much effort into making a game, releasing, hearing there are major issues such as sound, and say NOTHING? When there was a Save bug for April Fools, it is apparent that was noticed. But when it comes to Sound issues, Eidos has gone... deaf. Hell, mute. We have not heard word one since we reported these still recurring sound issues.
    I can't speak for everyone, but I don't want to hear from forum moderators, I want to hear from the developers. I want a little light shed on what is going on behind the scenes. We paid for something we cannot play, without our heads hurting due to bugs that ruin it for us. What I want is answers.

This is a sad state of affairs. If the fans are becoming disillusioned that is a bad sign. I too am worried however. My biggest issue is we have not heard from the developers. No updates, no nothing. How can the put so much effort into making a game, releasing, hearing there are major issues such as sound, and say NOTHING? When there was a Save bug for April Fools, it is apparent that was noticed. But when it comes to Sound issues, Eidos has gone... deaf. Hell, mute. We have not heard word one since we reported these still recurring sound issues.
    I can't speak for everyone, but I don't want to hear from forum moderators, I want to hear from the developers. I want a little light shed on what is going on behind the scenes. We paid for something we cannot play, without our heads hurting due to bugs that ruin it for us. What I want is answers.
    This is the truth. There needs to be some kind of notice that they are working on the audio, just to ease the fans. This silence is worrying me. Maybe they're quietly working on this now and we will get something in the next few weeks. Something!

Originally Posted by Freeza
    This is the truth. There needs to be some kind of notice that they are working on the audio, just to ease the fans. This silence is worrying me. Maybe they're quietly working on this now and we will get something in the next few weeks. Something!
    Maybe. But we cannot say. No news is bad news here. Can we just get something?! DEVs! TALK TO US! WE NEED INFO!

Originally Posted by GimmeDaGun
    I updated the OP, but for some reason I start to think that this game has run its course. After 2 months of being out in the market the game sold app. 1 million retailer copies (plus an unknown number of digital/downloadable copies), which means the game was a failure (yes, for a multi-platform, high-budget AAA title it is a filure). .
    That figure is pretty meaningless, at least for PC. Who buys retail copies anymore? I'd wager that only 10% of PC gamers do. Though I agree that the reception did seem rather lukewarm.

ANSWERS! WE WANT THEM! Please.

Quick question, does anyone know of Deus Ex: Human Revolution had this kind of problem where issues were left unresolved?

It could have been something special. If such immersion breaking bugs weren't present and ignored. You want to change the voice actor who plays Garret... fine, you want to change the era to Victorian instead of Middle Ages... fine; and if you do those things you had better not get sloppy about your execution.
    TAFFER! We wants results. You're the middle man from what I understand. What is the deal? We needs updates, patches... updates on patches. If I get no response by tomorrow I will send Taffer a private message in hopes he will respond.

I don't think that would help overly much, to be honest. He's just a member like us who happens to have moderator privileges, as I understand it. You should e-mail EM directly instead?

Page 5 of 9 First First 123456789 Last