Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Sound of Thunder is MISSING from the Game Along with Other Sounds

Sound of Thunder is MISSING from the Game Along with Other Sounds

Sound of Thunder is MISSING from the Game Along with Other Environmental Sounds

In the first chapter, "Lockdown," lightning will light up the sky--yet there is no sound of thunder. I swear the first time I started that level I heard the thunder sounds but now they are gone. There are other environmental sounds that are dropping out as well--sometimes prying open a locked window will make a sound, other times no sound at all.

I've seen posts from other users experiencing the same thing so I know I'm not alone in this--plus you can actually watch official preview trailers for the game where the same thing happens ...

Please tell me this is going to be fixed in a patch ...

Exact same for me with the thunder (worked at first then stopped working); and some miscellaneous sounds here and there not working sometimes.

Yes I noticed the lightning flashes without hearing any thunder, though it was odd.

Right here guys, down the bottom:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=141669

Looks to me it's related to loading a save game. Whoohoo.

I hear footsteps and characters speaking. The only sound that seemed to be lacking was the thunder, unless it's just quiet. I don't think I have the environmental sound issue.

Nah, that's not the problem, as I explain in my posts. It's thunder in Lockdown, and the hook runners in Chapter 2. Footsteps and whatnot are A-OK.

Start Chapter 1. Play a bit. Listen to the thunder. Save and load. No thunder. That's how it went for me and how I reckon it goes for everyone. Yep.

Probs more sounds dropping out in later chapters but I didn't get that far.

Originally Posted by Teagle
    Nah, that's not the problem, as I explain in my posts. It's thunder in Lockdown, and the hook runners in Chapter 2. Footsteps and whatnot are A-OK.

Start Chapter 1. Play a bit. Listen to the thunder. Save and load. No thunder.
    Are you responding to me? I'm saying the same exact thing. You linked to a post about many more sounds missing besides thunder....

Thanks everyone for weighing in! Glad to know others have noticed this as well. I was afraid people were too clueless or just didn't care.

It definitely isn't just thunder that is dropping out. When you first start "Lockdown" and you come across an enemy standing over a dead body on a table, there is a fire next to the table that is completely silent, even though you can hear the sound of flames in other locations.

The sound of rain also appears to be dropping out/missing. You can hear rain running off nearby gutters sometimes but no other ambient rain sounds ...

It's a shame because the strongest thing this game has going for it is atmosphere. I'm having a lot of fun just creeping/running around The City but then it will be POURING DOWN rain and there is very little sound of rain and the sky will flash with lightning repeatedly and there is NO sound of thunder at all and it just takes me right out of the game. Instead of "this is cool," I think "Oh there is that missing sound bug AGAIN ... "

The developers must have known about this problem when they released the game ... As I said in my first post, it even shows up in PREVIEW VIDEOS released for the game ...

This really needs to be fixed.

Here is a video of the same level in the game on the 360, and in this video at least, you CAN hear sounds of thunder ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCfkUTraBbQ

Don't know if it is working here because it isn't from a saved game or what, but I think it demonstrates that the missing environmental sounds ARE supposed to be there ... meaning we are definitely missing part of the game.

Originally Posted by Muze
    Are you responding to me? I'm saying the same exact thing. You linked to a post about many more sounds missing besides thunder....
    Yeah, sorry, I was, I was just being a bit too brief. Just trying to say that you weren't the only one with missing thunder but audio otherewise seemingly ok (as a few posts by me in that thread were saying).

Anyway glad there's more posts on this. I would hope by now the devs have noticed the problem.

Originally Posted by Burbles
    Here is a video of the same level in the game on the 360, and in this video at least, you CAN hear sounds of thunder ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCfkUTraBbQ

Don't know if it is working here because it isn't from a saved game or what, but I think it demonstrates that the missing environmental sounds ARE supposed to be there ... meaning we are definitely missing part of the game.
    Ha! Yeah it's interesting how this works. In Chapter 2, if you load a game after a certain point in the level, the hooks running along the roof will stop making a noise. However, if you load back sufficiently early in the chapter and carry on, the sounds will trigger correctly and you'll hear the hooks again. Load- boom, gone.

Chapter 1 is weird. First play through without loading, thunder all over the place. Great stuff. Load and they're gone. This time, however, even loading the chapter restart autosave won't bring the thunder back! It's lost.

Conclusion: play the game straight without once loading a save game and you'll get the complete experience. Or not.

After starting a new game, thunder was missing, the sound of opening things and garretts grunts while jumping ect.. got real muted.

I asked this same questions in another post and got no response...I thought I was going crazy.....

I also heard thunder once and never more. I thought I had been imagining things.

And for me even if I start a new game and play up to chapter 1 with no loads/saves I still get no thunder.

One other thing....when I got thunder the surround sound also started working....it was amazing to turn away from those 2 guards and have them move to the rear speakers....and the sound over all was MUCH loader......that was a first.....but never to happen again.

Hopfeully this will be patch soon.

A patch is definitely the answer but how do we get it? How do we get a confirmation from Eidos that this is an officially recognized issue? Are the developers reading these forums?

I'm starting to look for pro-reviews that mention this issue and here is one (for the PS4)

"Sound effects would suddenly drop out."

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/thie...nal-negligence

Sound Thief

Someone has robbed me of sound too. I have some ambient sounds playing but no dialogue and no subtitles. I'm going to wait a little longer for a patch but it sounds like this has been persistent even before release.
    Usually they get resolved. I can't think why they have released such a wonky build spanning all platforms. Very embarrassing.

from the arstechnica review of the game ....

"Often, unmistakable on-screen actions like floors collapsing or fires raging would go by with nary a sound effect ... "

"I could forgive a couple of these snafus, but the audio issues in Thief were frequent enough to take me right out of the moment with surprising regularity."

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/0...stayed-hidden/

Come on, Eidos. Fix this!

From a new gaming site review ...

"Then there are the issues I mentioned, of which some are easily ignored or laughed at, but some, specifically the audio ones, must be dealt with."

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/thief_review/

I don't think we should just let this go. The audio bugs in this game need to be straightened out.

Originally Posted by Burbles
    From a new gaming site review ...

"Then there are the issues I mentioned, of which some are easily ignored or laughed at, but some, specifically the audio ones, must be dealt with."

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/thief_review/

I don't think we should just let this go. The audio bugs in this game need to be straightened out.
    Oh yes. I'll keep bumping this till there's some acknowledgement of the problem. Game still sitting in my Steam library till it's patched.

I wonder if it's to do with save games not saving their states (e.g. guard positions) properly, or something along those lines? There was a thread around here about that.

Anyway, would be great to hear if the devs are aware of this problem!

Don't forget the overlapping sounds and speeches that run twice on top of each other with short delay. Also only happens after loading a save. Chapter 2 main quest is full of double talk.

Also reloads interfere with AI not just sound. Some scripted events get borked by reloads. End of chapter 1 for instance at the very end there are two guards and one lights a wall brazier, normally he lights it then walks and faces the other guy and they "chat" if you reload he just gets placed near wall and faces it he never moves so you can clobber them undetected which is not possible otherwise. In chapter two... well... w/o spoilers there's a locked door being discussed by two guards. Depending on time of load/reload their patrol afterwards may either partially or fully not kick in. At least one usually fully gets stuck standing there. Another reload issue with that is that upong knowing one of them 2 rooms and 2 doors away still triggers suspicion. There are plenty more examples and I only did 2 main missions...

Oh and there are a bunch of dialogs that get cut because they are "upon entry" to the level. First engineer job for instance as soon as you enter the level Garrett blurts some cut off leftover. Its still somewhat related I suppose, since its caused by level load and trigger being tripped while you are loading.

Sometimes when you load you get some statistics actions doubled. Only occurred once that I know of. Main mission 2...once again. I don't really keep track of those because that only useful if you play ghost. Which I don't really get or agree with(different topic and I don't even care much lol).

Oh yes. I'll keep bumping this till there's some acknowledgement of the problem. Game still sitting in my Steam library till it's patched.
    Yeah, same here. Now that I know I'm not getting the full experience as it was meant to be, I'm waiting for this to be fixed before I play anymore ....

Originally Posted by HiSaZuL
    Don't forget the overlapping sounds and speeches that run twice on top of each other with short delay. Also only happens after loading a save. Chapter 2 main quest is full of double talk.).
    Since I find the missing sounds distracting enough that I haven't played through Chapter 1 yet, I haven't encountered the other audio bugs you mentioned, though I have read about them here and in many reviews ... I just hope the audio is borked enough that the Eidos will just HAVE to fix it, sooner or later ....

Eidos you need to fix this, and respond to us that you are aware of this problem. This forum exactly destined to discuss with each other the technical problems. But yet this is a oneway communication, that makes the things worser....
    The game is good, but we need those sounds!
    Please respond to us

Just loaded a couple of saves with 1.2 where I know the sound cuts out. Still cutting out. Same for everyone else?

Just loaded a couple of saves with 1.2 where I know the sound cuts out. Still cutting out. Same for everyone else?
    Damn. Still dropping out in 1.2. I posted on the dev thread over here, and they confirmed no sound fixes had snuck in with 1.2. Looks like it's a big problem. Hopefully next time!

Sound off

I'm still not getting any sound except tweeting birds and a bit of ambient SFX with this new patch.
    What makes me laugh is that the subtitles are still disabled. What would cause this?

I bought a copy for my flat mate at the same time and he is having none of these problems. His machine is a much lower spec than mine too.
    Admittedly he is having to run it on the lowest settings but at least he's getting to play the damn thing

You say your friend with lower specs is not having these same audio drop outs? Could this indicate a memory issue? Lower settings draw less memory, leaving more available for audio? I will have to try running the game at the lowest settings and see if sound issues improve ...

Page 1 of 2 12 Last