Page 7 of 8 First First ... 345678 Last

Thread: Essential tweaks and fixes for the PC version.

Essential tweaks and fixes for the PC version.

Originally Posted by jancron13
    Well that now works. Yeay. Please ignore my previous post.

However I am back in stonemarket doing the odd job for Basso and I cannot climb!!!! Arg!!!
    I jump onto a rope, can climb down but not up. The arms move but nothing happens. Same with ladders. Those gratings in the walls are ok as long as I move forward as soon as I get to the top otherwise I will fall straight back down again. Same with crates.

Also do not seem to be able to climb down ladders either. To get off I have to press [Space].

Has anyone else experienced this?
    Glad to hear the ridiculous save loop bug was fixed!

I don't think I've heard of this climbing bug before, but what I have experienced myself is that turning around while climbing a rope is REALLY slow!
    "When the progress of time ceases, the evil one will be pointed out for all to see."

Originally Posted by Verrenus

Hex editing the compressed thiefgame.u file (Witness):

"In Steam\steamapps\common\Thief\ThiefGame\CookedPCNG\

Make a backup of thiefgame.u and then search the hex values for:

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Disabling the shroud
    02 CD CC 4C 3F 36 CC 66 36 BC 00 01 9C DE F4 3E
    Replace with: 02 00 00 00 00 36 CC 66 36 BC 00 01 9C DE F4 3E

Disabling the white flash
    33 33 33 3F 36 18 4D 01 CD CC CC 3E 38 A9 4C C0
    Replace with: 33 33 33 3F 36 18 4D 01 00 00 00 00 38 A9 4C C0

ATTENTION: It works only on the original thiefgame.u without decompression (and thus without notification at start of the game). You have to delete or rename the 'unpacked' folder if it exists!
    Patch 1.4 : My tweak is always ok and fully tested

Originally Posted by Witness
    Patch 1.4 : My tweak is always ok and fully tested
    so the same trick can be applied for the v1.4 update ?

Yes, you have to do it again on the new thiefgame.u !

bro this sounds hard i wanna mod my ps4 version of the game how can i do it
    bro in eidos i trust

Hey guys! Just a heads-up that I've updated the OP with a tweak that applies to all Unreal Engine 3 games: changing the texture memory pool size in the engine.ini file and then using the "-ReadTexturePoolFromIni" launch option in Steam! After applying this tweak I found that my framerate was much smoother overall, especially in the City hub which almost always stuttered after loading a different area. Enjoy!

EDIT: For those using Nvidia Inspector, does anyone know how to successfully force some real antialiasing into the game? I'm sick of all these jaggies, and FXAA or SSAA are not viable options (one doesn't do much, the other costs too many resources)!
    "When the progress of time ceases, the evil one will be pointed out for all to see."

I have forgotten about this little trick, thanks Verrenus.

Originally Posted by CiroConsentino
    I have forgotten about this little trick, thanks Verrenus.
    No problem, Ciro! I was actually surprised myself that no one tried/mentioned it at all up until now. Try it yourself and see if it improves things for you as well!

In my case there is no performance change at all. What a pity. Or does it only improve the stuttering, and not the framerate in general?

well, the micro-stuttering stopped, but that was before this new cmd paramater. I've changed the PoolSize option to 1500 though.
    Framerate doesn't change, only the texture loading performance... which is faster

Probably ,i've found a way to remove "The hands" on frobbing /grabbing from the screen. i have not tested it , if someone offer himself to test. can send me a PM.

in this moment i don't have the game right here , i have all the .ini with me.

@Verrenus , in my opinion is good host that .u file somewhere

Originally Posted by Another_Taffer
    In my case there is no performance change at all. What a pity. Or does it only improve the stuttering, and not the framerate in general?
    The change was never supposed to result in an increased framerate, but rather in a more consistent one (i.e. the textures should load faster after the tweak, thus eliminating stutter)!

well, the micro-stuttering stopped, but that was before this new cmd paramater. I've changed the PoolSize option to 1500 though.
    Framerate doesn't change, only the texture loading performance... which is faster
    As far as I know, you need to have that launch option to read the modified pool size from the .ini file, otherwise the game doesn't read it and just gives it's own estimate (which is why the stuttering occurs). Do you mean to say that the fix works even without setting the respective launch option in Steam?

yes, if I change the PoolSize without the cmd parameter, stutter is gone. I'm using latest patch 1.4.

yes, if I change the PoolSize without the cmd parameter, stutter is gone. I'm using latest patch 1.4.
    That's great news, I'll update the OP!

i will be glad to give my little contribute. ciro sei italiano ?
    piacere di conoscerti! sei il secondo qui

someone can try this : i hope this make the "frob" movement quick and fast

DefaultGame.ini

[ThiefGame.ThiefGarrettHandsComponent]
    mArmLength = 65.0;
    mPickUpSpeedMultiplier = 8.00;
    mbUseVRHeadX = False;
    mbUseVRHeadY = False;
    mbUseVRHeadZ = False;
    mVRMovementMultiplierX = 1.75f;
    mVRMovementMultiplierY = 2.5f;
    mVRMovementMultiplierZ = 1.0f;
    [ThiefGame.ThiefReachComponent]
    mIsVNavActiveOverride = false
    mIsLookAtActiveOverride = false
    mIsHandsActiveOverride = false
    mIsFeetActiveOverride = false

1* this is my setting , normally in Thief 3 a parameter like this (not equal) will increase the Frob speed! abd something about the head movement
    2* this is for the head movement also, i guess

someone try to change values.

take a look these parameters , let me know if something change!
    I can't try.

hi HawkflyAway, I'm brazilian, not italian.

Anyone got any improvements with the new v337.50 nVidia drivers in this game ? To me the new driver didn't change anything.

Anyone got any improvements with the new v337.50 nVidia drivers in this game ? To me the new driver didn't change anything.
    The game seems even smoother for me with the 337.50 drivers. I hardly ever notice any framerate drops now, so I think it does have a positive effect!

No on my system, it doesn't. No difference compared to driver v331.82
    Core I7 2600 3.4GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GeForce GTX 570HD 2.5GB VRAM, Windows 7 SP1 64-bits.

The driver update did not give me more than a few frames of boost in the in-game benchmark, but I think it does provide a more consistent framerate. It could be just placebo though!

Crash...

My thief game crashes when I try to steal the satchel from the guard blocking the gateway in the prologue mission "The Drop". It's at the very start, and I don't think I can continue the game before I am able to do it. Any fixes?

Originally Posted by TheWortex
    My thief game crashes when I try to steal the satchel from the guard blocking the gateway in the prologue mission "The Drop". It's at the very start, and I don't think I can continue the game before I am able to do it. Any fixes?
    This doesn't sound like a normal issue to me. Did you manage to get past that point? If not, what are your system's specifications (CPU, RAM, GPU, etc.)?

It's probably a lot easier to simply upgrade your rig then using most of these tweaks, as many have discussed in this thread - manually tweaking the codes can break things, which in turn makes the devs look like it's their fault when actually you are changing how the game was intended. Using hex editors is where I would draw the line!

Thief looks great on my rig and I would strongly suggest the upgrade, it is worth it. Turning all those functions off is a real disservice to the great effort in making them look so great.
    Dwight Schrute: Every weekend I volunteer at the local animal shelter and they need a lot of help down there. Last Sunday I had to put down a hundred and fifty pets by myself.

Hi everyone,

I can't play "Continue" games or Saved games or from Auto Save points!!! They start to load...The line shows up but at the end.....CTD!!!

Square Enix FINALLY said to post here.......They probably need another patch!

What a waste of my time man.........Anyway:
    If your interested, here's my other post......http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthr...=142941&page=7

Forgot to give my Specs:
    Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.4 Ghz
    8 GB RAM
    Nvidia 260 GTX card........DXDIAG shows: 4028 MB

There should be ZERO reason for CTD after loading Saved Games, "Continue" games and Auto save points.

This patch is busted in my opinion.

Please help!

Update: Square Enix said to "roll the game back" to 1.4 and see if that works OR wait for a patch........Saved games & Continue & Auto saves are corrupted!!!!

I have Thief on my PC (downloaded via Steam) and it will not let me jump when running. Whilst attempting to escape the underground ruins I found it almost impossible to jump the chasm at the end - Garret just kept looking down when I ran and jumped (an yes, I was pressing the right keys). I don't know how, but I eventually I managed to clear this obstacle, but I am now stuck at the end of "A friend in need". After stealing the plans and running onto the roof (where the dogs are waiting) I need to run and jump over a table. I have tried this countless times (holding shift to run and pressing space before I reach the table) and nothing happens. I have now died over 20 times and I'm fed up of having to watch the video before I inevitably die by dog again.

This is not an issue with my keyboard or ability to press the right keys at the right time. I have also tried different timing and changing the key mapping and nothing allows me to run and jump. I am able to walk, run and swoop whenever necessary, but running and jumping simply does not work.

Please help as this issue has ruined an otherwise excellent game!

Page 7 of 8 First First ... 345678 Last