Thread: Essential tweaks and fixes for the PC version.

Essential tweaks and fixes for the PC version.

Originally Posted by CaraMamba
    SSR must be part of the de-activated features in the 32 bits exe
    Yes, that's a very probable explanation as to why SSR isn't affecting performance regardless if it's on or not for us, since we're pretty much all using the 32-bit .exe exclusively at this point. Thanks for sharing that with us!
    "When the progress of time ceases, the evil one will be pointed out for all to see."

Originally Posted by CaraMamba
    SSR must be part of the de-activated features in the 32 bits exe
    I couldn't see any graphical difference playing with 64-bits exec or 32-bits exec, but the 32-bits exec is a bit faster.
    stutters just the same as with 64-bit exec.

Updated OP with instructions on how to disable the shroud/white flash/colour correct/proxy light effects completely! See this video for the after results: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tYQOLSZDkY

Worth a few minutes of your time, I should think!
    "When the progress of time ceases, the evil one will be pointed out for all to see."

Thanks for the update on the extremely annoying shroud effect. Does it gets reactivated or it stays off all the time ?
    Also, is there a tool to re-compress the file back so we don't get that "using the unpacked" message ?

Originally Posted by CiroConsentino
    Thanks for the update on the extremely annoying shroud effect. Does it gets reactivated or it stays off all the time ?
    Also, is there a tool to re-compress the file back so we don't get that "using the unpacked" message ?
    My pleasure!

Once hex edited, the changes stay on until you re-edit them otherwise (i.e. it's a true fix, unlike an .ini tweak that may get changed accidentally by the game itself). Bear in mind, however, that EM/Nixxes will release patch 1.3 sometime today, meaning that you will need to perform the same hex edits again so as to use the latest version of the thiefgame.u file, since it's likely to get patched!

I have no idea on how to re-compress the file after hex editing it though. It might be worth asking Mavros himself in the dedicated ttlg forum thread: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...143411&page=2&.

I don't think there are any tools to recompress the files, but I might be wrong about that. A quick google may reveal some info.

Originally Posted by New Horizon
    I don't think there are any tools to recompress the files, but I might be wrong about that. A quick google may reveal some info.
    I did just that earlier and couldn't find any tools to recompress .u/.upk files. Maybe someone with a bit more UE3 modding experience can shed some light on this, please?

The patch broke the shroud removal hex edit. The old hex codes have been changed as well. Anyone know what the new ones?

Originally Posted by Cloakedfigure
    The patch broke the shroud removal hex edit. The old hex codes have been changed as well. Anyone know what the new ones?
    Damn, sorry, I personally have no idea what new edits are required for patch 1.3. I'll keep an eye on the ttlg thread and as soon as Mavros updates it, I will put them in the OP. This would be so much easier if EM would have just let us disable them from the menu...

On the other hand, the patch notes for version 1.3 explain that SSR (screen-space reflections) were always on for the 64-bit .exe, regardless of whether the setting was switched on or off in the in-game menu. Now the game should respect the setting's actual value, even though SSR might actually be poorly implemented (see explanation in OP). Maybe someone could check if the poor performance with the 64-bit version has thus been fixed?

Just to clarify. Screen Space Reflections have always honored the setting correctly, the new setting is for image (texture) based reflections, which previously was always disabled for 32bit, and always enabled for 64bit.

I was wondering if you could help me.

I started a thread on your Thief forum entitled 'Controller question from all us southpaw gamers.' And I was just wondering if you had any information regarding the addition of alternate controller layouts for the upcoming release of Thief?

If this issue has not been brought up perhaps you could forward on the following suggestion to the appropriate division of the development team who are working on possible Thief patches/fixes ...

Please patch in the following alternative controller layout option (Southpaw/Lefties):

Left Thumbstick = Look / Toggle Zoom (Observe Click)
    Right Thumbstick = Move / Dodge (toggle Crouch Click)
    L1 = Melee Attack / Takedown
    L2 = Use Bow
    R1 = Dodge
    R2 = Run / Climb / Jump

Many Thanks

Originally Posted by Nixxes
    Just to clarify. Screen Space Reflections have always honored the setting correctly, the new setting is for image (texture) based reflections, which previously was always disabled for 32bit, and always enabled for 64bit.
    Aah, I see now! I was wondering what were the features exclusive to the 64-bit version, but you guys could give me an answer previously. I guess texture based reflections were one of them!

From Witnezz on http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...=143411&page=3

"New hack for patch 1.3

Here is the change for patch 1.3

To disable shroud - Make a backup of thiefgame.u and then search (in Hex value) for:

02 CD CC 4C 3F 36 CC 66 36 BC 00 01 9C DE F4 3E
    Replace with: 02 00 00 00 00 35 CC 66 36 BC 00 01 9C DE F4 3E

No change to disable white flash :

33 33 33 3F 36 18 4D 01 CD CC CC 3E 38 A9 4C C0
    Replace with: 33 33 33 3F 36 18 4D 01 00 00 00 00 38 A9 4C C0

Good luck !"

Edit: With this new one, you do not have to use anything to unpack it first. Just use the Thiefgame.u file.

From Witnezz on http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...=143411&page=3

"New hack for patch 1.3

Here is the change for patch 1.3

To disable shroud - Make a backup of thiefgame.u and then search (in Hex value) for:

Replace with: 02 00 00 00 00 35 CC 66 36 BC 00 01 9C DE F4 3E

Good luck !"

Edit: With this new one, you do not have to use anything to unpack it first. Just use the Thiefgame.u file.
    Wow, that was fast! Thanks a lot for sharing this with us, Cloakedfigure! OP updated!

Via Mavros on http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post2242959

Here is his post::
    -----------------------------------------------------
    How to disable shroud and eye adaptation for thief v1.3

They made some changes with the patch but I managed to figure it out, sorry about having to decompress thiefgame.u, it saves me having to launch the game 500 times trying to find the right hex values.
    There seems to be two "proxy lights" now, (thats what its called in the game files).
    An "in shadow" and an "in light" proxy light, its as if garrett has an LED lantern with him,
    if you disable these, the game will be dark....Make backups and try it out to see if you like it.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    How to disable shroud and eye adaptation for thief v1.3

1. Goto Steam\steamapps\common\Thief\ThiefGame\CookedPCNG\

2. Make a backup of thiefgame.u just in case

3. Download this utility: http://www.gildor.org/down.php?file=...decompress.zip and unzip decompress.exe, put it anywhere.

4. Drag thiefgame.u onto decompress.exe you should now have a new thiefgame.u in \Steam\steamapps\common\Thief\ThiefGame\CookedPCNG\unpacked\

5. Open \Steam\steamapps\common\Thief\ThiefGame\CookedPCNG\unpacked\thiefgame.u in a hex editor. (I used HxD: http://mh-nexus.de/en/programs.php)

To disable shroud:
    Search for Hex-value: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 CD CC 4C 3F 36 3D 00
    Replace with Hex-value: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 36 3D 00

To disable white flash:
    Search for Hex-value: 3E 9C DE F4 3E 9C DE F4 3E CD CC CC 3E A4 3D 00
    Replace with Hex-value: 3E 9C DE F4 3E 9C DE F4 3E 00 00 00 00 A4 3D 00

To disable "in shadow" proxy light
    Search for Hex-value: 00 00 00 00 00 B4 43 14 38 00 00 00 00 00 00 28
    Replace with Hex-value: 00 00 00 0A D7 23 3C 14 38 00 00 00 00 00 00 28

To Disable "in light" proxy light
    Search for Hex-value: 00 00 00 00 00 96 43 14 38 00 00 00 00 00 00 28
    Replace with Hex-value: 00 00 00 0A D7 23 3C 14 38 00 00 00 00 00 00 28

Save and fire up the game.

When you start the game, it will notify you that its using thiefgame.u in the unpacked directory and not your original one, just hit ok and the launcher should start.
    ------------------------------------------------------

OP updated, thanks a lot!

Just wanted to warn people about the "disable "in shadow" proxy light:" When it's off, the little glow around Garrett isn't there anymore and it makes really hard almost impossible to see in some of the very dark areas of the game. I couldn't see the numbers on one of the safes due to how dark it was.

Just wanted to warn people about the "disable "in shadow" proxy light:" When it's off, the little glow around Garrett isn't there anymore and it makes really hard almost impossible to see in some of the very dark areas of the game. I couldn't see the numbers on one of the safes due to how dark it was.
    I was afraid this might happen by disabling proxy light. I, personally, would only disable the white flash and possibly the shroud as well, but I would definitely leave proxy light on! The white flash was always my main complaint about these light/shadow feedback mechanisms, so I'm really glad it can now be switched off!

Just a little correction to my previous post on TTLG to remove the shroud/white flash after patch 1.3

In Steam\steamapps\common\Thief\ThiefGame\CookedPCNG\

Replace with: 02 00 00 00 00 36 CC 66 36 BC 00 01 9C DE F4 3E

(That remove the very little black glimpse when you enter into the light)

ATTENTION : It works only on the original thiefgame.u whithout decompression (and thus without notification at start of the game). You have to delete or rename the 'unpacked' folder if it exists

Originally Posted by Witness
    Just a little correction to my previous post on TTLG to remove the shroud/white flash after patch 1.3

In Steam\steamapps\common\Thief\ThiefGame\CookedPCNG\

Replace with: 02 00 00 00 00 36 CC 66 36 BC 00 01 9C DE F4 3E

(That remove the very little black glimpse when you enter into the light)

ATTENTION : It works only on the original thiefgame.u whithout decompression (and thus without notification at start of the game). You have to delete or rename the 'unpacked' folder if it exists
    Great stuff, Witness! Thanks a lot for the update! I will add your hex edits to the OP as well and let people choose themselves whichever ones they want to use!

Yep, just noticed that too....Sorry didn't have time to test fully.
    Updated my post over at http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...=143411&page=3
    reduces the range instead of disabling the proxy light.

Originally Posted by Mavros
    Yep, just noticed that too....Sorry didn't have time to test fully.
    Updated my post over at http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...=143411&page=3
    reduces the range instead of disabling the proxy light.
    Thank you! I prefer it to be as dark as possible, much more immersive.

Updated OP with both Mavros' and Witness' latest tweaks from ttlg! Thanks again guys, you're doing us all a terrific service, shame on EM for not including these as settings from the get-go!

Originally Posted by Verrenus
    III. Missing voices, subtitles, music and some other sound effects

Install/move all game files to an internal drive!

If the game is on an external drive, voices, subtitles, music and some other sound effects like lightning may not play during the game. This can easily be observed in the prologue cutscene, where Garret should be speaking. If you installed the game on an external drive, try moving it to an internal drive (it does not have to be the C drive, but it needs to be internal)!
    Sorry, but this statement is not correct, if you're using Windows 8.1!
    It has been confirmed that voices and subtitles may be missing/(dis)played for less than a second, if Thief game files are not located on C: and the OS is Windows 8.1.

In my case they were installed on a storage space (S) defined over internal disks and I could not hear voices, ambient sounds or read subtitles. When I move the Installation to C: it works perfectly.

The game is installed on drive C:\ (internal 1TB 7200RPM SATA3 HDD) and I get missing audio.
    I also tried installing the game on a 64GB SSD SATA3 (read 512 MB/s) and I'm still getting missing audio and cutoff audio, and overlap dialogs repeating themselves.
    My specs:
    Core I7 2600 3.4GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GeForce GTX 570HD with 2.5GB of VRAM, Creative Audigy 2 ZS with a 5.1 sound system, Windows 7 SP1 64-bits at 1920x1080 res.

Game updated to latest patch 1.3 build 4118.5 and all settings at max, except vsync. Doesn't matter what video/audio settings I configure in the game, audio is buggy.
    ... I miss games with EAX effects. Those were the good old days with TRUE surround sound experience.

Page 5 of 8 First First 12345678 Last