Thread: Fan/player reviews - reactions (Spoilerific)

Fan/player reviews - reactions (Spoilerific)

I don't want to crosspost cause I'll lose all the pretty formatting, but I just finished up my thoughts of the game. Note that this is coming from a longtime fan, and someone who went through the game as a ghost. Generally, it's an ok game that is very uneven, but doesn't quite live up to the legacy of the originals.

http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/view...opic_id=444889

Also, Hellion, when I first happened on that spectacle I became mystified and disheartened all at the same time.

Originally Posted by Specter
    Hearing the f-word in the game makes me uncomfortable. It just doesn't belong, and reeks of a juvenile mind-set.

Hearing a conversation about c*ck rings is painfully cringe inducing. How would this seem like a good idea in ANY game? It is exceedingly awkward and out of place. I think many of the problems of this game are mistakes from people who made misjudgements. That said, I think the person responsible for writing this dialog, and the person who approved it, should seriously re-evaluate their career choice. This dialog is the gaming equivalent of the first episode of a new season of American Idol where all the crazies come out to insist they can sing.
    All those s-hits and f-ucks were kinda annoying, since I hoped that the language would be more 'archaic'. When guards talked about c*ck rings, it made me chuckle. To me it makes sense, if the guards act and talk like brutes, because that's what they are. Paid muscle. The thing I didn't like is the way they make nasty remarks about each other all the time. Do they all really hate each other that much?

THI4F! Please do something about it...

Greetings. I am a hardcore TAFFER. I have been with this wonderful series, since day 1, thief the dark project vanilla, 1998. I loved and played excessively each and every title until i found all secrets, finished them in expert difficulty setting, had no new ideas of utilizing Garrett's gadgetry, and finished each game more than 5-6 times. I liked Deadly Shadows, despite the rants about it being consolized and stuff, despite the fact that it was not as awesome as the first two titles. Its ending did not leave possibility of a sequel, but we were all amazed at the good news of one being in development! For 5 years, we have been waiting patiently for it to reach us!

Then, the first slap came on our faces... Production froze and release halted, because devs wanted to give priority to next gen consoles... Thief! A former game EXCLUSIVE to pc! We swallowed that, grew hope and patience, and waited even more...

Voice actor changes... Legendary Russel no longer voices our stinging, sarcastic antihero... We swallowed that too...

Experience from killing system was presented! As if this game was an MMO! Here, many people simply lost their cool and just burst in anger! And thankfully, this pathetic system was removed. And finally, we reached the desired, dreamt of, release day... I was in for a day one instant purchase, because i found a local retailer who sold it together with the bank heist dlc... But alas, what a nasty disappointment was in for us...

This game, is sold EXCLUSIVELY on STEAM! I won't start a war, i simply respect where people get their games from and how they choose to spend their money. But i got my entire Thief collection from GoG! And i needed to get the new one from GoG, too! I don't need any faqing DRM! I don't want to own ONE series, broken down to TWO different digital distributors! I don't want games to be broken down to endless DLCs, each one of them charged and sold separately! I need a COMPLETE game, in a FULL package compilation, CONTAINING A L L DLCs under ONE, same/solid price, and i never liked monopolies. Especially Steam's.

- In the first place, WHY on earth did you make THI4F a Steam exclusive release? Why don't you license it to other services for selling? GoG for example? GoG has proven that many people will buy a game, if and when it is DRM-Free. New developers trust and cooperate with it. New titles such as the Witcher series, Shadow Warrior and others proved that NO DRM = reliable and many sales!

- Since all other, previous titles, were sold in another service too, why you forcefully rob your devoted customers from the right to own the entire series under one place and service?

- Thief Gold was repacked back then, containing ALL extra content added to the game. The game was not torn into bits and bytes, charged separately! Why did you forsake your own quality services of the past? Why not just repack THI4F with all extra content in ONE package TOGETHER, priced correctly, of course?

At least, after you get the money you plan and estimate, just sell Thi4f over other places, too. It is a real waste. It is a Good Old Game, not some random FPS, for it to be a Steam exclusive! We will buy it! We want to buy it! And you prevent us from doing so...

Originally Posted by slayerking
    Most fan I ever had with the game so far...

Pretty funny how much gratuitous nudity and sex there is in this game. "Oooh, now pinch my nipples!" is the best line of dialogue in this game so far. It would have been enough to just hear it, but seeing it really made the whole affair shine.

My longwinded observations so far:

The Good:
    • Art direction - the game looks wonderful. I love the details, such as the ripples of the rainwater on the rooftiles, the mouldy damask wallpaper, the lightning, the rain, the paintings of people with animal heads... It's very atmospheric and has a consistent 'language' way and above that found in most other games. I really like the fusion of late-middle ages, Victorian, gothic and steampunk
    • Ambient sounds - lovely bits of microsound in there, little whirs if machinery, the hum of pipes, the chirrup of cicadas (or whatever they are). I'm really glad I turned the music off (even though the music itself was great).
    • Sound effects - the sound of feet on tiles, glass etc have been done beautifully I think
    • Highly customisable game settings - all games should take a leaf out of Thief's book. This was brilliant. Well done to whoever pushed this through the project, this is first class
    • NPCs relighting fires - it made me smile when Lygrove relight a candle I'd snuffed out
    • Lockpicking - works really well
    • Nicking paintings
    • Finding switches behind paintings, watching them swing open to reveal a safe, and picking it open whilst a guard snoozes nearby
    • Voice Acting - I liked Romano, and look forward to hearing more from him (unfortunately you only gave him crappy lines to read, poor chap)
    • Motion - very smooth indeed. Garrett is beautifully animated. The swipe motion every time you nick something is actually quite useful
    • Performance - runs really well on my ancient PC, or least it does NOW I'VE HACKED THE BINARY FILES ABOUT.
    • Separate sound settings for headphones and speakers - I love you. Few other developers would be so thoughtful. This was a great touch. It made my ATH M50s very happy.

The Meh:
    • Swoop - seems very unreliable. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, and I had no way of telling when it would or wouldn't, so I stopped using it. I liked the way it disturbed animals though, stopped it being a Magic Teleport
    • Music - too loud and IN YOUR FACE for this game. It was excellent music, and due respect to the composer, but not for in-game Thief. I turned it off. Much preferred the ambient sound design
    • Dialogue - Poor Romano. Give him some better lines next time. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't great either.
    • Characters - Erin reminded me of those moody Goth chicks I used to hang around with. I thought she was a nasty bit of work tbh, and actually felt sorry for Garrett having to put up with her. I'm hoping her character will develop into something more sympathetic as the game goes on
    • Story - my narrative jury is still out on this one

The UNKNOWN (whooo-oooh):
    • Focus - I turned it off, the game plays just fine without it
    • Combat - Nah, not my style. I don't pick fights with guards, and try to sneak everywhere unseen, so I can't comment on the combat

The BAD:
    Unfortunately, these are actually quite significant flaws in the game in my view. Please don't do these in the sequel!
    • Contextual jumping - No, no, no and no. Just let players jump wherever and whenever they want. I kept having to think 'can I jump on that?', which really broke any sense of being in a world. This is my #1 dislike, please bring back Real Proper Jumping Like They Have In Other Games for the sequel...
    • Game suddenly taking control for unexpected cutscenes - this was really annoying
    • Cannot fall off ledges - Why not? It robs the 'thieves highway' of any sense of danger. where's the tension in creeping along a pipe somewhere high up if you can't fall off?
    • Cannot jump on to objects - again, this is silly. Why can I jump on a crate and not a barrel? Why one crate and not the other? Etc. etc. That's driving me nuts.
    • Rope Arrows only work on prescribed places - why? Please don't do this in the sequel. If the player ends up wasting them then fine, but restricting their use to this extent is a bit silly.
    • Overwriting quick saves with checkpoint saves - this is really really silly and should ideally be patched out. I suspect (hope) this was probably an oversight or something rather than an intentional 'feature'
    • Usability - why wasn't the map mapped to the 'M' key? And the objectives to the 'O' key? having to go via F1 is a pain in the bum. It should be one keypress for these vital, frequently-accessed sources of information (Usability 101). Again, suspect this was an oversight
    • Third party clambering around pipes - ditch that. It doesn't work. Ladders, rope arrows and ledges are fine.
    • Parkour running sequence - yeah, bin that as well. Thief isn't Mirror's Edge or Assassin's Creed. It's tempting to put everything into every game, but sometimes the results can be like having a breakbeat and electric guitar on top of Mozart's Requiem. I wouldn't buy 'Philip Glass - the Dubstep Remixes', or smoked Camembert coated in Valrhona dark chocolate, despite the fact that I like Philip Glass, Dubstep, smoked Camembert and Valrhona individually.
    • 64-bit performance - the game ran like a dead dog on a Sunday afternoon until I swapped the binaries around to the 32-bit ones. A very, very silly error. Another oversight due to being rushed by someone in a suit?
    • Unable to name save games - a pet peeve of mine. I complain about this ni every other game, so will do so here as well...
    • Real world swearing - I felt oddly like I'd been slapped I don't mind the sex at all, sex is awesome and I like it in real life so I have no problem with it being enjoyed by a couple of NPCs in a game, but for some reason the 's***'s and the 'f***'s just made me think 'noooo...'. If you want to make a game 'adult', then I believe the best way to do this is via complexity and intelligence in the story and dialogue: for example exploring contemporary themes of technological progress, authoritarian politics, surveillance, civil liberties, the wealth divide and so forth. It's why I liked the original Deus Ex.

Dear EM,

You must give players more freedom to decide how to use the game tools and mechanics. The restricted, hobbled nature of the jumping and rope-arrow mechanics are precisely the kinds of things that PC gamers refer to as 'consolisation' and 'dumbing down', and make the difference between having a 'world' to explore and a 'game level' to solve. The game becomes less a matter of 'what can I do here?', and more an onerous case of 'what will the level designers allow me to do?'

If you're worried about people 'falling out of the game', don't just stick a small, knee-high fence there and mark it in the game code as 'unclimbable'. You must play fair with the expectations of the player: if one crate is climbable on, all the rest should be as well. Stick a ruddy great building there, or a cliff face dropping to the sea or something convincing Nobody's expecting an neverending game environment, but the boundaries should, like all other elements, behave in line with the expectations of the player and be consistent with other elements.

Regarding falling off of things: I appreciate that consoles require gamepads, and that gamepads aren't as accurate for movement as the keyboard and mouse combination. I can see that this is perhaps why falling off of rafters may be a problem for console gamers (I keep falling off ledges in Dark Souls), but it's behaviour that PC gamers are used to. Perhaps have a 'No fall' option? (OK, probably not the best solution, but I like to keep things constructive).

It's really important to allow the player to fail and mess up, because then it feels so much better when the level is finally defeated. The player shouldn't get a prize for just turning up.

I was a bit worried early on when my bow wouldn't let me fire a water arrow unless it was pointed at a torch. My immediate thoughts was 'strewth, things have got really bad in Dumbsville if they've resorted to this...' and I almost lost the will to continue because... Well... What would be the point if the game's doing everything for me? Luckily I carried on, and was very relieved at a later point when I wasted three water arrows due to being a poor shot. I reloaded and practiced a bit, improved my aim and felt like I'd achieved something. I then went and soaked a dog in a cage for giggles.

My other niggles were really the kinds of things that I believe would have been polished had the devs had more time. From personal experience in web development I know that the pressure to get stuff 'out of the door' can lead to some rough edges, and lead to shortcuts in QA and UXP.

I've been taking notes, and will be putting a 'proper' review on my blog in due course, but those were my initial thoughts anyway.

To conclude: I bl***y love this game and can't wait for the sequel. There is a truly classic game buried in there desperate to get out from under the rushed and borked bits, and a very talented team behind it, so I'm expecting great things (and proper jumping) from the next one!

Lightbulb Things I loved/Hated about Thief.

First off, I loved the game and I am currently replaying the entire thing again. First time through was on master, now I am playing it again on Thief (Difficulty).

I wanted to post this because I've been looking forward to this game for years! (Yes before they ever even announced a new thief.) lol.

Even loving the game, I found many things which I wish were done differently, or better. Ofc these are my opinions only:

Thing's I loved:
    - Atmosphere
    - Graphics
    - Stealth System
    - Voices/Music etc.
    - Side Quests (But they could of been done better imo)
    - The Levels for the most part I loved, I just think more thought could of been put into them to make them more open. More ways to solve problems etc.

Thing's I hated:
    - The AI Seemed really bad, not just running into walls but most NPC's in the city did nothing more than take pre-determined paths. I see how this works for guards, but regular citizens should have more variety, otherwise if you spend too much time in the city it 'feels' broken.

- I loved/hated the city, there are many great parts but the whole thing feels very disjointed, and it irritates me to move around it. Partially due to loading screens, partially due to the map.

- The map (It takes two clicks to get to. I know that sound smalls but its seriously annoying when you have to do it hundreds of times to find your way around somewhere big like the city), Also; I feel the map is missing some elements, quarter names, etc. I think it could just use overall improvement.

- I dislike the windows in the city, not just the loading screen, but also that you have to 'break' them again to get back out. it doesn't feel right. I dislike how everything is done by tapping E also. I always find myself wanting to hit another button to lift the window.

- The houses you break into in the city all feel too small, I think someone else said it seemed like a city filled with tiny closets, and that sounds about right.

- I feel everything is a bit too linear (Yea like that's a new critique, but it's obviously one that needs to be addressed in some way or another. and I hope it is in new content release, or maybe a new version.)

- NPC's in the city, I feel like they should have more depth to them, more paths, if you talk to them maybe they have custom dialog etc.

- Feels like there should be more side quests, from many more characters!

- I know not everyone will agree, but I feel like the game should be slightly less Assassins Creed, and a bit more Skyrim Thief Guild Feeling. Yes this isn't skyrim, but I think since the days of Thief, Morrowind, Skyrim etc have had the best Thief type feel to them, and I loved the Thief guild quests just as much as some of the original Thief.

- The base! I wish I could customize it, especially put the loot I steel where-ever I want. Kind of like in skyrim also (Customizing your house.) Not sure why but this was a big disappointment for me, it would add considerable re-play value. Being able to re-play missions where loot is only available on certain difficulties etc, then being able to deck your house out with said loots.

- Lock Picking. I just don't like the new system, I loved the old one where you actually move the pins into place. I would love to see an option to turn this old style system on.

That's pretty much it. I know it's alot of complaints, but imo this game was very good, when it could of easily been great. I hope to see more updates/content coming out.

My biggest fear is the load times. I dropped Deadly Shadows because they were driving me up the wall. Heck, I might wait until I get an SSD before buying the game.

Good:

- In the end it's a stealth game, my favourite genre.
    - Swoop has great potencial
    - The City has a very interesting atmosphere/art and kinda enjoyed exploring it without being detected
    - The voice act surprised me, wasn't memorable but competent imo

Bad

- My biggest complaint is the linear level design. There's a false freedom in the game, you just go from point A to point B.
    - Generic story with poor character development
    - I really hate the restricted movements while exploring the City
    - The AI is pretty dumb, missed how many times they didn't saw me when I was few inches in front of them.
    - Too many loadings

6.5/10

Originally Posted by auricgoldfinger
    My biggest fear is the load times. I dropped Deadly Shadows because they were driving me up the wall. Heck, I might wait until I get an SSD before buying the game.
    My game loads fine without SSD. Like 5-10 seconds between different areas.

Originally Posted by NIB
    My game loads fine without SSD. Like 5-10 seconds between different areas.
    But from what I hear, a single house in the city hub can be an 'area'.

I'm assuming the faster the data loads, the less mashing with the crowbar you have to do.

But from what I hear, a single house in the city hub can be an 'area'.

I'm assuming the faster the data loads, the less mashing with the crowbar you have to do.

Not all of the houses, flats, atticks, cellars have windows like that, and the crowbar meshing has nothing to do with loading, since if it leads you to a small flat it takes just as much time when you go outside to the rather big City streets. It's more like a feature which aims to increase the immersion. When the game is loading, you will know it, since the loading screen will appear... now that's something which breaks the immersion.

Originally Posted by GimmeDaGun
    Not all of the houses, flats, atticks, cellars have windows like that, and the crowbar meshing has nothing to do with loading, since if it leads you to a small flat it takes just as much time when you go outside to the rather big City streets. It's more like a feature which aims to increase the immersion. When the game is loading, you will know it, since the loading screen will appear... now that's something which breaks the immersion.
    Pretty sure they said it was to disguise loading, along with crawling through boxes and pushing beams aside.

Originally Posted by Al Bobo
    All those s-hits and f-ucks were kinda annoying, since I hoped that the language would be more 'archaic'. When guards talked about c*ck rings, it made me chuckle. To me it makes sense, if the guards act and talk like brutes, because that's what they are. Paid muscle. The thing I didn't like is the way they make nasty remarks about each other all the time. Do they all really hate each other that much?
    I have nothing against cursing words in games as long as they don't feel out of place and contrived. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Although I have many problems with the script and writing of Thief, cursing words were never a problem to me. I missed "taffer" though. It would have been nice if they used it, just for nostagia's sake.

Pretty sure they said it was to disguise loading, along with crawling through boxes and pushing beams aside.
    Actually whenever I get to a loading area (pushing beams aside) the loading screen turns on for a short period of time, so that's definitely a loading zone. I'm not sure abou the windows though.

Originally Posted by GimmeDaGun
    This game has a funny effect... the more I play it, the more I like it, but that script and story... maaaan... they must not screw it up with the next installment.
    Worst piece of dialogue so far, for me: "Cornelius must be on the line... looks like I'll have to put my life on the line"

I like a lot of the script. Just in some places they royally it up and make someone say something hilariously stupid and out of place.

Originally Posted by knox140
    Worst piece of dialogue so far, for me: "Cornelius must be on the line... looks like I'll have to put my life on the line"

I like a lot of the script. Just in some places they royally it up and make someone say something hilariously stupid and out of place.
    I can smell the cockrings from here.
    or something like that.

Best Garrett dialouge

"I've been a ghost all my life."

"Is the asylum haunted or is it me"

"I can focus harder if I concentrate"

This is some expert writing right here.

Originally Posted by bjshepp
    Basso:"Don't become a ghost yourself"

Garrett: "I've been a ghost all my life."
    2spooky4me

Originally Posted by bjshepp
    "I can focus harder if I concentrate"
    I swear this doesn't even make any sense. Focus and concentrate are synonyms. That is like saying "I can concentrate harder if I concentrate"

Originally Posted by knox140
    2spooky4me

I swear this doesn't even make any sense. Focus and concentrate are synonyms. That is like saying "I can concentrate harder if I concentrate"
    That's because he misquoted it. The line was "I feel like I can think and act faster if I concentrate."

This game is so bad. I never ever thought the linearity would be as bad as this. And boss fights. _Boss fights_ for god sake.

This game is so poorly designed, almost every element!

I knew that they are gonna it up, but not this much!?

Stephane Roy, dude, this job is not for you!

Page 5 of 30 First First 12345678915 ... Last