Thread: Fan/player reviews - reactions (Spoilerific)

Fan/player reviews - reactions (Spoilerific)

  1. #701
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,412
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

  2. #702
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The highest ground...
    Posts
    23,047
    Haha, MT.

    Originally Posted by argan1985
    I gave my game away. What a piece of trash it was.
    Trash? Didn't you state previously that you did not find the game to be awful, just mediocre (for you) to play? :
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

  3. #703
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The highest ground...
    Posts
    23,047
    Welcome to the forum.
    Check this thread out for more information about Erin. Feel free to post in there too.
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=143307
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

  4. #704
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    55
    Originally Posted by Viktoria
    Haha, MT.


    Trash? Didn't you state previously that you did not find the game to be awful, just mediocre (for you) to play? :
    His opinion changed after having played further. That Nix guy also doesn't seem to respond to posts either. So does anyone know if the recent patch fixed the audio issues I was asking about?

  5. #705
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The highest ground...
    Posts
    23,047
    Originally Posted by FrumpyTheClown
    His opinion changed after having played further.
    I'll wait for argan to answer the question himself.. unless you're claiming to be a mind-reader.
    The statement he made was fairly recent afaik and I'm pretty sure he had completed the game before he made that statement.
    Again... argan can answer himself when he is next online (if he wants to).
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

  6. #706
    I did find it to be mediocre as a game, and boring to play. As a Thief game I found it pure garbage. I should have specified, I suppose.

  7. #707
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The highest ground...
    Posts
    23,047
    No problems, I was just trying to work out how "the game is not awful" becomes "the game is trash".

    Regardless... this discussion is probably best in the fan review thread so I'll move it there shortly.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

  8. #708
    Originally Posted by argan1985
    I did find it to be mediocre as a game, and boring to play. As a Thief game I found it pure garbage. I should have specified, I suppose.
    Exactly my feelings about the game.

    Originally Posted by FrumpyTheClown
    So does anyone know if the recent patch fixed the audio issues I was asking about?
    I doubt they will fix the audio as it is probably fundamentally broken and would take too many resources to fix.

  9. #709
    Things I liked in THI4F:
    • architectural style of buildings
    • visual appearance of many items
    • nice fire effect
    • caged birds was a nice innovation, but a bit overused
    • the hands were better than expected but should not have been visible in "crouch mode"
    • nuGarrett's fighting skills not as overpowered as feared
    • stealth title


    Things I didn't like (in no particular order):
    • linear (often one-way) small and uninteresting level design
    • context-sensitive everything
    • broken audio in a game were audio is very important
    • dumbed down stealth mechanics (compared to original Thief games)
    • stupid/scripted ai
    • badly told story
    • boring dialogue and weak voice acting
    • boss fights
    • focus ability
    • no "real" rope-arrows
    • nuGarrett is Batman living in a cave--nothing wrong with Batman but Garrett should be Garrett
    • gray and gloomy atmosphere was depressing
    • no Stephen Russell, but in hindsight 'twas probably for the best
    • hub-world is a boring, gray, gloomy and unrealistic, confusing transport zone with a ton of loading zones (I still think the idea has potential, but I might be wrong)
    • loading zones
    • ridiculously out of place Assassins Creed style climbing moments
    • button mashing should be outlawed
    • no lean buttons
    • dumbed down bow aiming system
    • the old factions are gone
    • etc


    Worth noting is that the fancy schmancy motion caption didn't add much if anything in terms of realism compared to earlier and other games.
    "I'm fine with horse, just don't call it beef."

  10. #710
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    55
    Originally Posted by Viktoria
    I'll wait for argan to answer the question himself.. unless you're claiming to be a mind-reader.
    The statement he made was fairly recent afaik and I'm pretty sure he had completed the game before he made that statement.
    Again... argan can answer himself when he is next online (if he wants to).
    Reading minds? Let's say I won't deny it. However, I am VERY good at reading people, even through internet forums for example: I, after reading a few posts can tell what kind of a person someone is; body weight, lifestyle and relationships including their status and reasoning for having them. That is just deductive reasoning. In conclusion it didn't require much effort to know what he was saying.

  11. #711
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The highest ground...
    Posts
    23,047
    Originally Posted by FrumpyTheClown
    Reading minds? Let's say I won't deny ....
    ...after reading a few posts can tell what kind of a person someone is; body weight, lifestyle and relationships including their status and reasoning for having them...
    I chuckled at this... .


    ,,, just deductive reasoning. In conclusion it didn't require much effort to know what he was saying.
    Indeed. When someone categorically states a game is "NOT awful", then it requires little effort to know what is being said.... unless...... they also say the game is "trash".
    As this appears to be a contradictory statement.. the inquisitive mind will request further clarification from that person.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

  12. #712
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    thiefgame.wikia.com
    Posts
    31
    I played it when it originally came out and..

    Visually it looks good, and the sound and atmosphere fit well.

    Game-play wise, it is definitely in line with most modern games produced specifically for the console market. Mainly the imposed limitations of the maps.

    Having been a while it is something that I will replay, as more of a completionist.

  13. #713
    I recently played EM Thief for the first time and would like to add my 2 cents to the discussion. I know alot of things that I'm going to point out have already been mentioned, so please bear with me.

    I'd also just like to say I haven't played any of the Assasins Creed games, yet.

    Gameplay:

    -The interaction animations with doors, drawers and loot is jarring. It breaks immersion.
    -The Controls were clunky as all heck. I must have died 30 times from a failed grapple. Also, not being able to jump off things was horrendous. Talk about an immersion breaker.
    -Peek would have been a better gameplay design for immersion.
    -Notes and letters were not displayed in paper form. Why?
    -Maps were cramped and small. There was no sense of place. And the loading screens were completely immersion breaking.
    -Jumping sound effects were distracting. Garretts grunt was good but the swoosh sound that accompanied it was a little too actiony for a Stealth game.
    -Cutscene placements in some spots were abrupt at times. For example when Garrett meets Orion during the ritual. It seemed ill timed. Maybe some gameplay after he breaks in to help set up the encounter.
    -The dreamworld/Primal wasn't clearly explained. Maybe a better explanation of it would have been a good idea before it was introduced. Garretts eye and Erins shrapnel wasn't connected well early enough in the story. Just saying Erin and I are connected some way wasn't enough, imo.

    Artwork:

    -I didn't like the color palette used at all. And the texturing was a little to busy for me, especially on the streets. It was distracting at times.
    -The theme also didn't work for me. It was too brown and rustic; to much 10th century, and not enough 1500's. But, the detail in the world was beautifully done.
    -Garrett's struggle has typically been against well funded villans. The Hammers were loaded with expensive buildings and lavish layouts. And The Builder was highly industrialized with tons of expensive metals and machinery. In this game, Garrett felt like a common thief among common dirt bags. He didn't seem to standout at all against his foe's.

    UI:

    -The "Map updates" were intrusive. Totaly broke immersion.
    -The UI was obviously not made for PC. The PC UI seems haphazardly put together. Almost like someone opened a new folder and dumped everything in it.
    -F1 key for all game information. Really? What about F2, F3 and F4? F2 could have been used for the big map, F3 for the documents and F4 for player progression.

    Audio:

    -Voice acting was not unique or noteworthy.
    -The voice actor for Garrett sounded like he has a minor speech impediment. It was very distracting for me. He didn't pronounce words clearly, and spoke too fast. Original Garrets cadence and tone were clear and intelligible and inspired a sense of history, experience and confident contempt. His voice, alone, was immersive. The new guy's isn't.
    -The music was unremarkable and cookie cutter.

    Story:

    -The Story didn't flow and it was convoluted. I didn't feel connected to Garret at all.
    -The transitions into the next job weren't smooth and transitional either. They felt clumsy and disconnected.
    -The gameplay ranking system Ghost, Opportunist and Predator were not necessary imo. Thief is a stealth game, not an action shooter.

    Overall, the game didnt feel like a true Thief game, it felt like Deadly Shadows redux. It definitely needs a DLC that addresses the issues and then it might be a true sequel.
    Last edited by khokhlachev; 30th Nov 2014 at 17:24.

  14. #714
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1
    I keep popping in to post piecemeal impressions since I still can't muster up the energy to get all the way through the game. I'm sure this complaint has been aired before, but I finally think I can articulate my main beef with this game in a single point.

    More so than anything except an actual rail shooter, the devs managed to build a game where you truly can't accomplish anything they didn't think up themselves in advance.

    It is this entrapment into the routes the devs intended that constitutes a giant reversal from all three of the original Thief games and, in my opinion, the much better Deus Ex 3. I have to figure out how the devs wanted me to solve a problem in order to advance. Sure, I can choose Predator, Opportunist, or Ghost, but I still have to stick to something they planned. The entirely context-based movement system they devised makes it so. The beauty of the originals and DX:HR was that the system gave me enough freedom to solve problems in ways I can guarantee the devs didn't anticipate. That freedom was successfully removed from THIEF in its entirety, and it chafes at me every time I try to get into it.

  15. #715
    I just started playing "Thief" again after about a five month hiatus and I have to say that I'm enjoying it as much as ever.

    First and foremost, what I find truly exceptional about this latest iteration is the overall atmosphere it employs. The dark, suffocating ambiance is absolutely intoxicating. I can get lost for hours on end scouring the murky depths of the filthy streets, as well as gliding silently along the rooftops of the plagued and battered city, all the while encountering a wide array of scoundrels whom you never know if you can fully trust.

    I certainly could go on and on with a litany of items that bring me out of the immersion, chief among them being the inordinate amount of load screens, but these aren't so intrusive that make me want to cease playing or disrupt my enjoyment of the game.

    I certainly hope we are treated to another "Thief," with this version of Garrett, in the near future. The foundation on which Eidos can build is strong indeed!

  16. #716
    Originally Posted by Griswold123
    I just started playing "Thief" again after about a five month hiatus and I have to say that I'm enjoying it as much as ever.

    First and foremost, what I find truly exceptional about this latest iteration is the overall atmosphere it employs. The dark, suffocating ambiance is absolutely intoxicating. I can get lost for hours on end scouring the murky depths of the filthy streets, as well as gliding silently along the rooftops of the plagued and battered city, all the while encountering a wide array of scoundrels whom you never know if you can fully trust.

    I certainly could go on and on with a litany of items that bring me out of the immersion, chief among them being the inordinate amount of load screens, but these aren't so intrusive that make me want to cease playing or disrupt my enjoyment of the game.

    I certainly hope we are treated to another "Thief," with this version of Garrett, in the near future. The foundation on which Eidos can build is strong indeed!
    I do agree about the atmosphere which I also liked. I did not like the long loading periods whenever I had to jimmy a window open or had to go back into that same window and find it's closed again!

  17. #717
    Yup, "Thief" has definitely pulled me into its snare once again. Maybe it's just because it's been dark and gloomy where I live the past few days that I find that I'm unable to free myself from The City's icy cold grip, or I'm just in the mood for some good old fashion shadow sneakin', but I just can't seem to put this game down lately. I love games that can match the mood and atmosphere of daily life (in a good way), and right now "Thief" has that going on in spades.

    A bottle of pinot noir, living room curtains drawn, lights turned out, headphones on, below freezing temperature outside with light precipitation and “Thief” booted up is gaming heaven for me right now.

  18. #718
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1
    Indeed, there is something that keeps me returning into the City - I have never passed chapter 5, as I keep restarting and fiddling with the options, but I am close to 90 hours even so and my last "playtrough" (haha) is definitely the most tense one - disabled kills and knockouts really do make a change... However, I finally decided to leave objects highligting on and prices low, the latter because those rope arrows are needed now and then and the bluish light deflecting on distant ropes and ladders is a bit immersion breaking, but the knowledge about these escape routes in advance makes my game much more fluent and fun - there is something deadly attractive about running away from Eeelbiters, quickly switching from alleys to rooftops and back:-)

  19. #719
    I've made my thoughts on this game quite clear in THIS thread:

    http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/sho...=147744&page=2

    Short version: This game is "Thief" in name only, and it is clearly done by people with little to no respect for the original games. It was not fun to play. The characters were not fun to watch. The audio design was shoddy at best. The voice acting was abysmal. There was little to no freedom to go where you wanted, which is what stealth games are about.

    And from the start, Eidos had no intention of listening to our suggestions, even years before the release. They had plenty of time to fix all the problems we are talking about now, and they completely ignored the fans who pointed out the flaws.

    I used to love the Thief series. But this game has tainted it. It has turned my love of the series to ashes in my mouth. It's even difficult for me to play the old games, knowing what it would eventually turn into.

    In fact, I also used to love every installment of Final Fantasy, another Square-Enix property. But when 10 came around, the series became less an rpg, and more a story on rails. Kind of like Thi4f. I stopped playing the games when I couldn't be bothered to actually finish 10, because the characters were so boring.

    I was actually considering buying the old Hitman games, because of the stealth gameplay. But after Hitman: Absolution's reviews, I decided my money was better spent on a meal at Costco.

    I made an account JUST to voice my opinion on this game in hopes that the devs and their publisher overlords would see it. But they don't seem to value criticism and suggestions like they should. Well, perhaps they will understand this:

    Square Enix is a relic from the past. A dying star that once shone brightly, but now only destroys everything around it.

    Therefore, I will never again buy another Square-Enix game, no matter what the franchise. Not Thief, not Hitman, Final Fantasy, Deus Ex, Bravely Default, Dragon Quest, or any other property of theirs.

    Perhaps I might reconsider this standard in the future, if I see a Thief game that is actually faithful. But as long as they're taking THIS path with the Thief series, I will not be a customer.

  20. #720
    I'm 44 years old and really enjoyed playing the original "Thief" trilogy when they first came out, but for one reason or another none of them held as much replay value to me as this new iteration does. Why? Because this time around I find the atmosphere and story more compelling than any of the first three. It sounds crazy, I know, but it's the truth. I need a storyline that can keep my attention and this one does just that. Garrett, Erin, Orion, Basso, the Thief Taker General and the Barron are intriguing enough characters that I feel invested in their outcomes, good or bad.

    I never looked at this version of the franchise as a direct sequel to the first three. From the moment it was announced that this Garrett wasn't the same as the old Garrett I decided to approach the new"Thief" with a fresh perspective and I kept my mind open to new possibilities, and I was rewarded.

    I can certainly understand fans' disappointment with the fact that the series was taken in a new direction, but again, I've enjoyed the new take. I just finished my third play-through and am already looking forward to my fourth.

  21. #721
    Originally Posted by Griswold123
    I'm 44 years old and really enjoyed playing the original "Thief" trilogy when they first came out, but for one reason or another none of them held as much replay value to me as this new iteration does. Why? Because this time around I find the atmosphere and story more compelling than any of the first three. It sounds crazy, I know, but it's the truth. I need a storyline that can keep my attention and this one does just that. Garrett, Erin, Orion, Basso, the Thief Taker General and the Barron are intriguing enough characters that I feel invested in their outcomes, good or bad.

    I never looked at this version of the franchise as a direct sequel to the first three. From the moment it was announced that this Garrett wasn't the same as the old Garrett I decided to approach the new"Thief" with a fresh perspective and I kept my mind open to new possibilities, and I was rewarded.

    I can certainly understand fans' disappointment with the fact that the series was taken in a new direction, but again, I've enjoyed the new take. I just finished my third play-through and am already looking forward to my fourth.
    You've already said this GriswolfonetwoTHREE TIMES. I don't know if you're trying to balance out the negative reviews with several copies of a good one, but it's not working, and it frankly looks suspicious and almost scripted(kinda like the game itself). Hell, your postive comments sound like commercial taglines. "Thi4f is so amazing. It's like drinking unicorn giggles!"
    Last edited by Shadowrabbit; 16th Jan 2015 at 06:39.

  22. #722
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The highest ground...
    Posts
    23,047
    Shadowrabbit, please try to respect other peoples' opinions without convincing yourself there must be some sort of conspiracy going on.
    Its a FACT that a lot of people enjoyed the game. Deal with it.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

  23. #723
    Originally Posted by Lady_Of_The_Vine
    Shadowrabbit, please try to respect other peoples' opinions without convincing yourself there must be some sort of conspiracy going on.
    Its a FACT that a lot of people enjoyed the game. Deal with it.
    I don't deny that "a lot" of people enjoyed the game. But "a lot" of people doesn't equal "most." Five percent of a million people is still "a lot of people." But I won't waste my breath.

  24. #724
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The highest ground...
    Posts
    23,047
    A lot would mean more than the number of people who really hate the game... such as yourself.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

  25. #725
    Originally Posted by Lady_Of_The_Vine
    A lot would mean more than the number of people who really hate the game... such as yourself.
    Sure, Vik. Whatever you say.

Page 29 of 30 First First ... 19252627282930 Last