Thread: Fan/player reviews - reactions (Spoilerific)

Fan/player reviews - reactions (Spoilerific)

  1. #676
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The highest ground...
    Posts
    23,047
    I always thought the gold child just represented the next gen prototype of the children of Karras.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

  2. #677
    Originally Posted by Viktoria
    I always thought the gold child just represented the next gen prototype of the children of Karras.
    I was thinking about that too although they where pretty scary,like after you find out about the Cetus project in Karras room one gold child appeared behind me and scared me real good,I didn't knew what to do and I start running from him but the moment I've turned he was nowhere to be found,apparently he was running from me too

    and just a quick funny trivia that maybe anyone knew it,but when you go to enter the rooftop on Angel Watch there is a drunk guard and if you look over the edge you can see his friend down there dead(maybe because he was too drunk and felt down)

  3. #678
    *returns from the shadows*

    I've just started reading the app thoroughly.

    What I can say is this...

    The story DOES make sense and actually is perilously close to being interesting and good. But it is told TEERRRRIIBBBLLYY in the game itself. The stuff I know now makes me feel somewhat better:

    * How you betrayed Erin (You stole the book back for orion, brother of the baron)

    * Why there is a linkage between Erin and the house of blossoms (opium + primal)

    * What the foundry is "actually" for

    * What the ring and the book is for

    * What primal is and what it does (and what it does to people)

    * How the primal relates to previous games

    * Why the book is in the keeper library (and presumably/perhaps why the house of blossoms is built on top of the keeper library with opium plumbing)

    * What freaks are

    * What the gloom ACTUALLY is and what it is caused by

    * I haven't found solid evidence, but I think I actually UNDERSTAND what the hell the automatons are about (primal = power, primal + people = not good, primal + mechanical men = ????)

    * I understand the missing year and the POINT of the asylum and why it is as you find it in the game (although the night watchman still makes no sense?)

    I STILL believe the following however:

    * The way the story is TOLD in game is a disjointed mess

    * The ending is still a bit odd to me

    * The mechanics of the game is still UTTTTTEERRR SHHH*TTTEEEEE!!! PLEASE CAST CONTEXTUAL MOVEMENT INTO THE FIRE OF THE BUILDER'S BOILERS!!!!

    * The sound propagation IS BROKEN

    * There is CATEGORICALLY NO WAY IN HELL this game is better than thief 2. Master Taffer, you would have to construct the most perfect argument ever conceived in order to convince me otherwise... and so far you're a long way off.
    Thief 5 creation instructions: Play thief 2, play again, pay UDK4 or idTech 6 licence, employ engine programmers who are able to code jumping physics, listen to fans not ubisoft

  4. #679
    I could possibly agree with some of your points...except for the one that the story is "close to being interesting." I was bored and indifferent while playing, and standing here today, I can't even remember most of it. "Extremely uninspired" is the best description I could come up with for Thief 2014.

    And yeah, I'm comparing it to the originals, because everyone should.
    "I can see only one good thing coming from a Thief 4. Mark my words on this one. It will make people love Deadly Shadows." -Digital Nightfall (4/4/2008)

  5. #680
    Originally Posted by brethren
    I could possibly agree with some of your points...except for the one that the story is "close to being interesting." I was bored and indifferent while playing, and standing here today, I can't even remember most of it. "Extremely uninspired" is the best description I could come up with for Thief 2014.

    And yeah, I'm comparing it to the originals, because everyone should.
    You miss my point.... If you read all the literature available out there external to the game the story is actually almost not bad, BUT, the game "itself" *tells* the story in a very poor manner.

    Hence I actually agree with you
    Thief 5 creation instructions: Play thief 2, play again, pay UDK4 or idTech 6 licence, employ engine programmers who are able to code jumping physics, listen to fans not ubisoft

  6. #681
    Yeah, I agree with taff, the story isn't that bad if you just go off the companion app alone. The originals had a meh story as well (especially The Dark Project/Gold), but they told it much better than this game so we remember it more fondly

  7. #682
    Doesn't matter if there's story in a companion app. No such thing should be needed, and the information contained therein should not be considered part of the game when judging the story of the game.

  8. #683
    Originally Posted by argan1985
    Doesn't matter if there's story in a companion app. No such thing should be needed, and the information contained therein should not be considered part of the game when judging the story of the game.
    Especially considering how much information EM stuffed into the flavour text. With all the notes, diaries, documents, reports and newspapers you can find; you'd expect a more coherent whole with the worldbuilding. In reality, even the setting itself seems disjointed and messy, as though they couldn't decide what The City's main theme was supposed to be.

    As a note, I haven't read the companion app and don't plan to: if the main story in your game fails to grab my interest from the beginning, then I'm not going to go digging to try and discover more about characters I don't like or care for in the hopes that they might become more likeable.

  9. #684
    Originally Posted by argan1985
    Doesn't matter if there's story in a companion app.
    Not saying it does, just that it isnt the story writers themselves who messed up that particular part of the game imo.

  10. #685
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    95
    sounds like the story writers just tried to patch things up with the app, after they realized how bad things were - doesn't matter anyway, a game's story should be judged by a person's experience in the game world.

  11. #686
    I dont want to read tone of material to understand story better maybe app will help me get a better fell of story but why would i do that with a game thats not what i hoped it would be.Half life story was like that you had to read stuff on net to fully get the story HL was great so it didnt bother me Finished my second playtrough and had a bit more fun did a lot more exploring contextual moving,story,cty hub,stupid AI were huge problem but not as big becouse i was prepared for those things.Barons manor favorit level...Im done with Thief 4 maybe one playtrough in winter when snow takes away my wil for life

  12. #687
    Originally Posted by argan1985
    Doesn't matter if there's story in a companion app. No such thing should be needed, and the information contained therein should not be considered part of the game when judging the story of the game.
    Agree 100%

    Again, I am not defending the travesty of story -->"TELLING"<-- in the game.

    The fact that you basically "have" to buy the app and comics for the game to even make sense is a MASSIVE fail!!!

    If this was done with the intent to intrigue and capture the audience's curiosity, again, MASSIVE fail.

    As said above, one can only conclude that the reason why the game is, as is, is because they ed it up!!!!

    (enough "is"-es for you there? )
    Thief 5 creation instructions: Play thief 2, play again, pay UDK4 or idTech 6 licence, employ engine programmers who are able to code jumping physics, listen to fans not ubisoft

  13. #688
    Makes you wonder why they put so much effort into a companion app that the majority of the people who play the game will never read.
    "I can see only one good thing coming from a Thief 4. Mark my words on this one. It will make people love Deadly Shadows." -Digital Nightfall (4/4/2008)

  14. #689
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    95
    Originally Posted by brethren
    Makes you wonder why they put so much effort into a companion app that the majority of the people who play the game will never read.
    that's why i say the app was a patch job at the end. that's the only thing that makes sense - what's the alternative? paid DLC in the form of an app to understand the story?

  15. #690
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    15
    So, let me get this right.... Eidos Montreal kept advertising that although Thief would be a "fresh" reboot blah blah blah, giving all these interviews about the "DNA" of the game, we all understood wrong?

    The "DNA" of Thief is what? Non-lit areas in a map? Hiding in the shadows and surprise-attacking an enemy with the blackjack? Or was it the medieval setup?

    Cause, the first thing i remember when playing the tutorial on the 1st Thief, it was immediately clear to me (and i guess everyone who played the game) that one of the most important things in Thief is sound. That's the reason the 2nd thing you had to do was to sneak up to that guard without making any noise...

    But I can see that there IS a variety of opinions on these subjects. It's obvious that Eidos Montreal never felt that sound was part of Thief's' "DNA". It's obvious that the "DNA" was just the name of the game... It was all about misleading us who purchased the game to do just that and since there's a new Thief game in town, all is well...

    It's a pity actually.. I always liked the games Eidos released and Thief was (is) one of the best game trilogies i have ever played. And i have played a lot (i'm 39yo you see).. And no, I don't feel like Thief 2014 is a good game. All I can think is Duke Nukem Forever. I really cannot understand why Eidos ever released Thief. It should be "at peace" and should have not been disturbed....

    It's sad that Thief 2014 is such an embarrassment. And it's more sad that Thief 2014 carries the weight of one of the best video games EVER released.

    For me, Thief is the last game purchased from Eidos portfolio..

    Have a good day gentlemen/ladies

  16. #691
    Do people really hate the mission in the thieves guild? I don't. One of the reasons I think Thief II is the best in the series is because my favorite missions are big, open fortresses inhabited by humans with a lot diamonds to pinch, and it is one. I'm in total agreement that it has dodgy level design (a common annoyance of the original Thief) and it's crippled by that in conjunction with having objectives to find things which are very easy to not find when you're looking for them, but it's a pretty awesome power fantasy. A thief robbing the thieves, ideally without them noticing enough to try and stop you. I agree with what a lot of Master Taffer says about T2 but it's still my favorite 'cos it takes what I liked the most about T:TDP and tries to do it a lot more often. I don't want to thump burping dinosaurs on the head while fireballs chase me around. I don't want to run around The City. I don't want small, restrictive levels chock full of guards, juvenile writing, flat characters and gloomy, dull environments.

  17. #692
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,412
    Originally Posted by taff
    * There is CATEGORICALLY NO WAY IN HELL this game is better than thief 2. Master Taffer, you would have to construct the most perfect argument ever conceived in order to convince me otherwise... and so far you're a long way off.
    Considering that games are a subjective medium, it's your perspective against mine. I don't like Thief II (relative to the other three, I still like it quite a bit). If you hold it dear, that's your prerogative and I have no intention of telling you you're wrong; that would be foolish. Furthermore, I have no idea why you would care so much as to state that there is no condition in which Thief 2014 is better than Thief II. In matters of subjective taste, there is no such thing as something that is categorically better.

    I like Thief 2014 more than Thief II. I suggest you acquiesce that fact as it's your only option short of creating a parallel delusional reality in your mind. The latter option is a chore and a half.

    Originally Posted by Astro
    I agree with what a lot of Master Taffer says about T2 but it's still my favorite 'cos it takes what I liked the most about T:TDP and tries to do it a lot more often. I don't want to thump burping dinosaurs on the head while fireballs chase me around. I don't want to run around The City. I don't want small, restrictive levels chock full of guards, juvenile writing, flat characters and gloomy, dull environments.
    Then it sounds like you got what you wanted with Thief II. I'm happy for you. Twas not the case for me.
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

  18. #693
    Not really, honestly. Thief II is pretty dingy to look at with few exceptions, the plot is pretty average, it's unfinished and it doesn't seem as concerned with having an interesting universe so much as a political struggle that no-one cares about. Put the original and The Metal Age in a blender and then I'd be happy enough, though it would still contain a few unpleasant lumps.

  19. #694
    Apart from a few names of characters, city districts and arrows, THI4F has little to no contact with the original Thief games.

    Might the game have been a little better received if it had just changed the names of these few things and become a new IP? A new IP that was a ‘spiritual sequel’ to Thief?

    Imagine if the game had been called ‘Blackhand’ (the game’s own slang for a thief) and Romano Ozari’s Garrett was instead a new Garrett-like protagonist with a different name and history.

  20. #695
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,412
    Originally Posted by Chuffnubble
    THI4F has little to no contact with the original Thief games.
    Repeating it over and over does nothing to make that true.

    It's the same setting, same world, similar characters, same themes, same goals, same base gameplay mechanics. But because a few things are not identical, it's not Thief? By your logic, Knights of the Old Republic has nothing to do with Star Wars.

    If you don't like the new game, that's fine and your prerogative. But the intellectual backflips people are doing to say it's not Thief are just foolish. I'm a die hard Alien fan who despise the AvP movies, but I don't pretend they are not Alien movies simply because they're not in space and Ellen Ripley isn't in them. I just give my opinion that they're schlocky garbage and don't watch them.
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

  21. #696
    They didn't say it wasn't Thief, they said it had little to no contact with the previous entries in the series. That's different than saying it isn't Thief, IMO.

  22. #697
    Is it a sufficient review to say that I still haven't finished the game because glitches made chapter 6 so infuriating I ragequit to wait on a patch that still hasn't happened?
    A true professional doesn't leave a mess.
    My YouTube channel-Thief Ghosting videos!

  23. #698
    I gave my game away. What a piece of trash it was.

  24. #699

    Thumbs Down

    So Guys! What does yer think about this storyline here then??

    Well the storyline was all disjointed for me. One minute Erin was with you ..the next she'd gone with no co-ordinated info! Nothing to explain why she got captured in the first place and why you had to rescue her ????

  25. #700
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    55
    Originally Posted by argan1985
    I gave my game away. What a piece of trash it was.
    Recent patch. Were the audio issues Mantle/AMD only? Are the sync issues fixed? Are sounds that come from far away still sounding next to us? Are conversations still looping? Anyone else genuinely surprised there was even a seventh patch?

Page 28 of 30 First First ... 1824252627282930 Last