Thread: Fan/player reviews - reactions (Spoilerific)

Fan/player reviews - reactions (Spoilerific)

Originally Posted by knox140
    I'll download and give it a try tonight

"Exile" you mean?
    I would recommend you keep notes and your own little map.... this mission really is a challenge.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Originally Posted by GimmeDaGun
    I managed to do it without being detected and without knocking out anyone. I collected all the loot also. To me it was a pretty satisfying mission.
    Nothing wrong with the mission itself, but just getting there is a prime example of what a (unnecessary) mess the hub is.

Funny thing happened: I was scrolling thru my inventory with mouse wheel while next to a cabinet on my right and when I scrolled over the inventory bottle for the 2nd or 3rd time, it went in my hand and because inwas so close to the cabinet it crashed on the cabinet and alerted the guard. Sigh. A technical issue, if you ask me. I'd feel sorry for an Ironman just trying to get to their water arrow or something and have this happen.

EM should mark the transition zones on the map an make everyone's lives simpler for navigating the hub. Shouldn't have to reference an out-of-game map a fan made or walkthrough.

There were a few burrick heads at one of the client missions. Very unimmersive seeing a dinosaur in a video game set in this time/era.

I saw a glowing glyph on a wall in some back room in the hub that just disappeared when I got next to it. What was the point?

so i finally finished the game last night. why did it take me so long i hear u ask. well, when you only get between 10 secs and 2 mins playtime before a crash, u find yourself playing the same parts over and over. and when u cant get passed a cut scene for a few days cause it keeps crashing, that doesnt help either!

so before i give my opinion on this thief game, its fair to say my experience was seriously stunted with interruptions due to crashes and to that end, i only ended up playing probably the minimum required to complete it. i didnt explore everywhere as i found it too frustrating due to crashing.

thinking about my experience, it will sound very negative, but despite its many flaws and faults, i still liked it simply because it was a new thief game and after 10 years of waiting i would of pretty much accepted anything!

so to open up with, boss fights. i had previously ranted about the TTG fight in this thread. so not to cover old ground i would simply summarise this as "NO", "WRONG", and "DONT".
    that said, then there is the erin fight. to be honest, it confused me. and to be honest, the entire game plot confused me, mainly due to the constant crashing, i simply lost the plot with what was happening.
    so the first few times i stood there and she did whatever it was she was doing to me (i dont know, some sort of primal zap thingy) and i got fried. Then I figured out I had to collect the stone fragments. So a few tries of that, and I got it to work, got them all. And then what, she kinda just gives up and I walk over and she begs for death. Wtf?
    And if I had part of the primal in my eye, I don’t recall yanking it out to combine it with the other bits, or did I miss that also ? and what was with the ironical “garrett im slipping”, in that voice , taunting you like she was having a go at you for letting her go at the start of the game, only to end up actually having to say it again cause she was “slipping” off the boat. Talk about bad karma and deja vu. And was it necessary to lead you into the back of the boat past the frozen in time guards just so u could touch her a few times to then have to go back out to the same spot past the now transformed guards into freak things ? that seemed unnecessary.

So we have 2 boss fights, the TTG that I found virtually impossible, then the erin one, which kinda made no sense to me and brought meaning to the phrase “sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me”. Well miss, looks like I just nuked your super powers with 3 bits of glow in the dark stone, even though I left a part in my eyeball, it still seems happy to think its now all completely reunited.
    Thief – boss fights, no. end of story. Do not repeat, do not replicate. Do not do again!

Ok moving on………………….

Contextual jumping. NO!
    I felt like I was on a rail like a mad mouse carriage when on those outside wooden ledges. U could run to the edge knowing u wouldn’t fall off, u just hit the invisible glass wall. Then run along and turn with on the correct spot to cross the narrow beams. It took the challenge away from trying to jump some gaps. And at times, some places that appeared quite narrow I found myself falling to my death, and other wide looking gaps, garrett seemed to jump with ease. I never knew which was which. And the same for jumping up objects, if it didn’t have the friendly “look here at the white scratchy stuff” or a grate for the claw to grip to, at times I didn’t know if I could jump up stuff. I would get to a crate or a bookcase or railing, something, anything, and at times, it looked massively high, but I could climb it, yet others, it felt like I was at eye level, and I couldn’t.

money - I was playing with the “make stuff super expensive and not a lot of stuff lying around” setting. Now I know that was my choice but I didn’t realise how that would effect the game in a bad way. When I went to the foundary, before I left I had gone to the crippled burrick and bought some supplies, but due to my lack of funds , I couldn’t afford the wrench tool. I found a spot in the foundary with loot under a stair case that I couldn’t access as I had no wrench tool. That annoyed me. Players should have been able to access anywhere without a wrench tool. Im sure there were other sections like that I missed in the same situation.
    And really, if someone wanted to charge me 200 (or was it 250) just for a scalpel to cut out artwork, id tell them to $%%% off. Hey, im garrett, im sure I could just steal a razor somewhere. I would liked to have him steal the razor, wire cutters and wrench elsewhere, not pay for them.

Fog – way too much. I edited the ini file or whatever it is to remove it or reduce it, not sure what it did now, and it was still too much. I can almost understand outside maybe, but inside? At eastwicks, I thought the place was on fire!! Was way overdone.

Getting caught. Garrett is the master thief, never seen or heard. Lost count of how many times I ran into the TTG. That shouldn’t of been happening so often. And the guards at eastwicks study, there was another example. Im sure there were others but it felt like I was being found with no choice regulalrly. Another example, the freaks in moira on the level change.

Better chuck in a good point. The hands feeling the pictures for a switch. Great, loved it. True to life.
    Peaking thru key holes and walls. Loved that also, though on pc, I would of liked to hold up down left right to look around, not swish the mouse halfway across my desk to change the view about 1 cm. I was violently swishing my mouse around to go all the way from left to right whereas a simple hold left and u pan slowly left would have been better.

Same with the crow bar. Any thief worth his salt busting into a home has a crow bar. I would of liked just to hold E on the pc to pry the wind, not tap E a bunch of times. That’s a console stupidity thing I hate on pc gaming,

Level changers. Consistant please, that’s what I want. I liked the look of the floating glowing things. Why couldn’t they all be those ? I found myself going thru a window at times to find I had changed maps and didn’t intend to. Also, when first on the way to erins hideout, there was on of those “slip between the crates and move a beam “ level changers. So im following my map and I get a dead end, expecting to see a glowing level changer. Took me ages to figure out the “slip between the boxes”thingy. They should of all been the same to avoid confusion and accidental map changing.

Exploration – now I know I said I only ended up playing the mimimum just to complete the game exploration wise as it crashed so often I was too frustrated to play any other way, but the city to me fault to closed in, and despite it looking like u had many ways to get somewhere, often it was illusion and u got rail roaded into a preset path. In missions I pretty much always felt like there was only one way to go despite it supposed to be several ways a lot of the time. And things like secrets up high requiring a rope arrow. I ignored them in the end. Who wants to shoot a 500g arrow up to a attic to only get a 20g hand mirror. Garrett likes to steal stuff but he has a better grasp of economics than that im sure. Solution for exploration in that sense of the game is 2 fold for me. 1- let is retrieve rope arrows as like in previous games, or 2, put a grate up there and have garrett throw the claw up and hook onto it. Then he can climb up, loot, rapell down, and yank the hook out. Personally, I liked the idea of the claw being thrown in 3rd person and swinging over with it, and repelling down with it, if it was used in 1st person, would have been great. The claw was underutilised in that manner, he only used it to hook onto stuff to climb, the rope part should of come into play more.

Time for another good point. The bow. Not that I use it a lot, in fact very little but I liked the fold out bow design. I can see it being more practical than a long wooden bow like previous games.

Knocking out guards. So I had object highlight on but when I blackjacked a guard, I found it hard to know when I was close enough to grab the body to drag away. They didn’t highlight, and it didn’t matter how close u where if u were crouched, u had to stand up, just to bend down to grab the guard. I often got caught by others messing around trying to grab a guards body. Also, sometimes, they would fall into my arms and not the ground, and I don’t know how or why. Was easy to drag them away when you already had a hand on them.

The blackjack should have been a selected weapon along with the arrow types, just as the throwable was. Having it a separate key was annoying. As was having a “take down “key. For pc, I would like just left button – fire (or swing in blackjack case), right button – melee

I cant comment on the combat system, I never fight. If I get busted, I reload. Im a sneaker, not a fighter.
    I cant comment on focus either, I didn’t use it. I kind of imagined the focus ability and zoom being the fact he had a super powered primal enhanced eyeball.

Dialogue – too repetitive. And I found an occasion where someone was having a conversation, a guard, and I triggered and alert, and mid sentence, he stoppe d his talk and started an alert dialogue, but it was a different voice actor. Was most odd. Was like eavesdropping on han solo having a casual conversation then suddenly his voice changed to darth vader when he suspected I was around. It was that kind of dramatic change. Some of the scripting was pretty bad, all that “mind your surroundings” blah on the rooftop run at the start was woeful. As much as I wanted SR to return to voice garrett, in the end, romano was a fairly similar voice and I could deal with it. It certainly wasn’t constantly grating on my during the game “that’s not garrett”. The swearing and general tone of the game was out of place for me. Its not the city I know in the other games. I get they where trying to make a place that was desperate and hopeless and disease ridden, grotty , filthy, but all that %^$# this and that and some of the conversations about pinch c%%ks etc, was a bit over the top. Don’t get me wrong, im no prude, I swear like a dock worker, but to me, this felt odd. And really, I miss TAFFER!!!!! It’s as thief as a blackjack.

The quick parts of the game, rooftop run at eastwicks, the bridge fire. Hated them. Eastwicks firstly for being caught with no choice, and the bridge part, yeah, I love picking a lock while burning to death. Half the challenge of thief is taking your time, knowing when to move and showing patience. U cant be patient in a burning building!

I did enjoy a lot of the animation in the game, the wire cutting and wrench tool stuff, the razor blade cutting out the artwork.

I found the maps confusing and not very helpful.

Im sure there is other stuff to mention but at this point, I think that will do.
    Overall, despite the constant frustration of the crashing, and the many issues I have with the game, I still enjoyed slipping into garretts shoes once again.
    I just hope that if there is a sequal, that a lot of the issues and concerns we had with this are addressed.
    There is no Garrett, only Zuul!

Originally Posted by zhunt
    so to open up with....
    My friend, no offense intended but would you please take some time to format your post? I would really like to read it but it's incredibly hard to do without proper punctuation and sentence structure.

Split it up in to paragraphs or something. Please. Makes the sharing of thoughts much easier.

Originally Posted by New Horizon
    but it's incredibly hard to do without proper punctuation and sentence structure.
    Split it up in to paragraphs or something.
    I wouldn't describe as incredibly hard.
    The punctuation and paragraph spacing isn't perfect, no, but his points can still easily be understood without too much difficulty.
    I would say it just requires a little more effort from the reader.
    signature image

My friend, no offense intended but would you please take some time to format your post? I would really like to read it but it's incredibly hard to do without proper punctuation and sentence structure.

Split it up in to paragraphs or something. Please. Makes the sharing of thoughts much easier.
    yeah sorry. I wrote it in word and when I copied it over it stuffed all the formatting. I didn't mean to post it yet, thought I hit preview. meant to fix it but was at work and hadn't got back to it

hope that's a bit better now (broke it up a bit)

Originally Posted by Viktoria

I would say it just requires a little more effort from the reader.
    If by effort you mean eye strain, then yes I agree.

Sorry, but my eyes aren't as good as they used to be and straining isn't enjoyable.

Thanks for making things a bit clearer zhunt.

Sorry, but my eyes aren't as good as they used to be and straining isn't enjoyable.
    Effort can mean many things. Its like solving a puzzle.
    In this case, I would have copied/pasted his post into a document, changed the text to a bigger font and added paragraph spacing.
    signature image

Thanks for making things a bit clearer zhunt.
    hehe, none of our eyes are as good as they used to be.
    speaking of eyes, the primal freaks. am I the only one who thought of the film clip to bonnie tyler "total eclipse of the heart" when they first saw them?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcOxhH8N3Bo

FOR THIEF DEVS TEAM

i just wanted you guys to know that THIEF is my third game in my life that i regret buying, (first is SLEEPING DOGS and the second is REMEMBER ME)
    it's because of the bad story and the terrible sound and gameplay bugs, i think thief is the number 1 game in history in bad sound category (bugged and bad as quality)

bro no one forced you to buy the game i bought it for ps4 and for pc also planning it to buy for x360, ps3 and xone to make sure that more sales are coming in and we see a sequel if you dont like the game and registered here to complain about it you probably need to learn some tact
    bro in eidos i trust

bro edgy very very edgy relax and enjoy the game like we did
    bro in eidos i trust

Originally Posted by zwanzig_zwoelf
    bro edgy very very edgy relax and enjoy the game like we did
    i platinumed the game just to make my mony worth but i'll be damned if i enjoyed 5 minutes of this game

bro relax i enjoyed the game and i will support it to make sure eidos will be happy i really want a sequel or some dlcs its a pity you didnt enjoy it perhaps super mario is more your taste?
    bro in eidos i trust

bro relax i enjoyed the game and i will support it to make sure eidos will be happy i really want a sequel or some dlcs its a pity you didnt enjoy it perhaps super mario is more your taste?
    no dude, what i enjoyed is inFAMOUS SS, KILLZONE SF, AC4, BF4 i even enjoyed KNACK more than Thief

bro these games are boring try beyond two souls instead
    bro in eidos i trust

awproject is allowed to feel negative and disappointed about the game.
    We ask that people respect his opinion and accept it.

Some posts deleted. If you wish to participate in personal bickering please take it to PM.
    signature image

Originally Posted by awproject
    no dude, what i enjoyed is inFAMOUS SS, KILLZONE SF, AC4, BF4 i even enjoyed KNACK more than Thief
    Uh, just the kind of games I'm not into (no offence, to each their own), but I agree with you about Thief being buggy and the story-telling (not the story itself) is pretty lacking and incoherent. Despite all it's shortcomings I enjoyed the game and would definitely support the idea of a sequel.

A tip: Before you buy a game, visit its official forums and read/whatch some fan-reviews and professional reviews. Buying a game blind nowadays is a pretty bold act.

bro these games are boring try beyond two souls instead
    I would not say that they are boring. They fulfill their purpose. They entertain. Whether they are the kind of games you enjoy is another question. These are not the kind of games I play (except for AC4, but I still haven't finished that one, since I find it a bit dull, unlike its predecessors, maybe except for Revelations), but they have high entertainment value. To each their own.

A tip: Before you buy a game, visit its official forums and read/whatch some fan-reviews and professional reviews. Buying a game blind nowadays is a pretty bold act.
    Thieves are getting bolder, they say. Going about armed...just as happy to murder as steal a loaf of bread... I pre-ordered Thief. :P

I would not say that they are boring. They fulfill their purpose. They entertain.
    Well... Knack doesn't

Originally Posted by knox140
    Well... Knack doesn't
    I wouldn't know since I never played that one...

Well, I've finished the game (48 hours) a few weeks ago, and I should say that I'm very glad I didn't buy it (I played it via Steam Family Sharing though). Please don't flatter yourself - this game is definitely the worst Thief installment ever, and I'm sure you guys at EM know why. I don't know what exactly did you do all these six years of the development, and frankly I don't care. You've screwed up. Frustrating, eh? Sorry, but in this case I prefer to say what I really think.

Originally Posted by MoroseTroll
    ..this game is definitely the worst Thief installment ever, and I'm sure you guys at EM know why.
    Its unlikely that the devs would agree with you as I believe they are very proud of their work on Thief.
    I personally disagree this is the 'worst Thief installment ever' as I find this to be a much more enjoyable game to play than TDS.
    My review goes into more detail - personal likes/dislikes will always be subjective.

I don't know what exactly did you do all these six years of the development, and frankly I don't care.
    If you don't care; then how do you allow yourself to understand the gears and cogs of game development?
    As far as I understand, game development is a very long process.

Also, it hasn't been six years.
    Thief was officially announced in April 2009 under the working title Thief 4. That is five years.
    The development team was initially kept small and the game remained in concept phase for a long time.
    The exact length of time is unknown, but if we allow up to a year, that means development "proper" began in 2010. That calculates to four years.
    signature image

I recall the studio head at the time saying that the game was in development prior to the official announcement. So MT is probably pretty close when he says 6 years. Regardless of the different stages of development, they all still count in the final tally.

Page 20 of 30 First First ... 10161718192021222324 ... Last