Page 2 of 30 First First 12345612 ... Last

Thread: Fan/player reviews - reactions (Spoilerific)

Fan/player reviews - reactions (Spoilerific)

Originally Posted by Astro
    Hilariously inept, inelegant design even in the very first two minutes of the game.
    The controls are too and well they work when they want to work. Then there's the button mashing to open a window I mean come on seriously we have to mash a button to open a window, WTF for. So far TDS is a Thief masterpiece compared to this.

I have had no problems with controls. I suggest people to play half hour or so with all options on and then disabling the ones they don't like so you know when to bash the action button and when to hold it down. I have to say that button mashing for opening the windows IS annoying. Level design is good imo, but levels are much smaller than in older Thief games which is a shame. There's lots of those 'checkpoints' that won't allow you to go back where you came from when you pass them.

Really? I can't agree with that at all. I can't tell you how many times I've been near a corner and tried to grab some nearby loot, only to accidentally go into peak mode. Or been hiding a box, ready to swoop away once the guard turns around, only to accidentally climb up the box instead and practically shout "I'M OVER HERE, COME GET ME!"

This game has had some good missions and fun stealthing so far, but there is no way to put a positive spin on the contextual controls. They are everything we were afraid of and they hamper the game at every turn.

I guess we have a bit different playstyles. When I started playing Thief, I was spotted a few times just the way you descripe, but then I became more careful with what I press and when and everything works fine. I also think that contextual controls is the 2nd best control mechanic, but it doesn't bother me at all anymore.

Originally Posted by Al Bobo
    I have had no problems with controls. I suggest people to play half hour or so with all options on and then disabling the ones they don't like so you know when to bash the action button and when to hold it down. I have to say that button mashing for opening the windows IS annoying. Level design is good imo, but levels are much smaller than in older Thief games which is a shame. There's lots of those 'checkpoints' that won't allow you to go back where you came from when you pass them.
    Yeah the level design is ok but it's too linear. I kept getting spotted because swoop wouldn't work, Press the button to do it and it just keeps walking straight out into the lit area. There's also the problems noted above by ResonanceCascade

After I played 6 hours I can say this: I can pass over bugs, I can pass over small maps, I can pass the storyline but I cant pass over liberty of movement like free jump, liberty to shoot rope arrows on any piece of wood, the background music and sound that in previous games gives Thief world atmosphere like Brosius did, really don't know who composed the music but sure is not Brosius. So Thief was based on free movement, exploring any corner possible. In my opinion a 7.5 is fair, the game must survive with all those lacks, and hope in the future the theam hear and feel Thief fans needs, not CSTRIKE players. For me Thief was the firs game that touched my soul and that nothing will change. I apologise for my bad English but that's all I know

Respect for the team.

Well Done Eidos & Nixxes

Europe should be able to sneak into the game now...hopefully we can get their opinion...especially Viktoria's as I know she has been panting and drooling to taff around this reboot for years.

My opinion is, Well Done Eidos & Nixxes. The install went smoothly and the game launches and plays smoothly and I've tweaked the performance so that it's above what I really should be playing and it's still a very pleasant experience. The control are very nice too with a couple of exceptions such as Thief forgetting my Invert Y-Axis ON Setting and requiring the Use and Swoop keys to be double clicked. In fact, the control problems have prevented me from playing through with Ironman turned ON during my first play through because the first time I was required to use swoosh I got caught because pressing the space bar while moving didn't do anything and had to start over...and I failed again when I tried to hold the space bar down...and didn't succeed until I figured out that I had to press the space bar twice like a double click thing. Same problem with the Use key for opening windows...have to click the key twice.

I am also playing through with No Alerts ON which means Garrett cannot be detected; however, in Chapter 2 Thief is requiring that Garrett be detected and thus failing the mission.

However, I am really enjoying returning to The City and spending time as Garrett. I think I will have a lot of fun...as soon as the forced detection in Chapter 2 is fixed so I can proceed into the next area.

I'm really surprised how little I'm enjoying it, even with my low expectations. I haven't found anything that I like yet, but one thing that particularly bothers me is how the thievery works, which is a pretty big issue in a game called Thief. Burglarables are strewn about everywhere and swiping them one at a time makes me feel like I'm playing Borderlands with a mod that makes a repetitive animation play each time I go to pick something up. It's even worse when drawers are involved, which they often are. As a whole it's not so much a hunt for secrets as it is picking up a series of obviously placed items which instantly convert into a tiny, unsatisfying quantity of gold. I have to wonder how much play time has been extended by making the game needlessly dense with loot. Well, it's probably not long, but it sure does feel like it.

Originally Posted by auricgoldfinger
    Focusing specifically on the between-mission hub and the side-content, how do people find it? Is it more liberating than the main campaign missions as people have said? Is it hard to navigate due to everywhere looking the same? Is it repetitive in that many houses are painting/safe, endless drawers full of trinkets and traps disabled with wire cutters, or is there some variety? Are some of the houses occupied and how often? Does it get old fast to loot these places or is it addictive? Can you stumble upon missions in the city hub, or do you have to go through Basso to get any of them?
    Bumping my question. Anyone got an answer for it?

I've played about 2 hours worth of the hub. So far it's a definite improvement over TDS. It's larger, more detailed, and more atmospheric.

Out of the few sidequests I've done, they've been simple. Go here, pick something up, the end. The stories connected to the quests are actually interesting though.

You mention that many of the houses are empty and so far I've found that to be true. I think someone else pointed out that while you can hear residents when you're inside a house, their voices are coming through a wall and you're never actually in danger of being caught. Realizing that does kill the suspense a bit.

I haven't really felt compelled to explore the city outside of the path I take to get to the next mission but there have been some cool secret nooks that I've stumbled upon. If running around a large city and finding all the loot is something that appeals to you, this city hub will deliver. Personally, I would have been just as happy without it. Walking between missions doesn't really do much for me, especially when it comes at the cost of mission briefings like in the previous games.

Originally Posted by scumm
    I've played about 2 hours worth of the hub. So far it's a definite improvement over TDS. It's larger, more detailed, and more atmospheric.

Out of the few sidequests I've done, they've been simple. Go here, pick something up, the end. The stories connected to the quests are actually interesting though.

You mention that many of the houses are empty and so far I've found that to be true. I think someone else pointed out that while you can hear residents when you're inside a house, their voices are coming through a wall and you're never actually in danger of being caught. Realizing that does kill the suspense a bit.

I haven't really felt compelled to explore the city outside of the path I take to get to the next mission but there have been some cool secret nooks that I've stumbled upon. If running around a large city and finding all the loot is something that appeals to you, this city hub will deliver. Personally, I would have been just as happy without it. Walking between missions doesn't really do much for me, especially when it comes at the cost of mission briefings like in the previous games.
    Thanks for the summary. Like everything else about the game it sounds to be a mixture of good and bad.

Mostly agree on the OP's points. Very goo review.

Main good points:

1. good atmosphere
    2. Stealing stuff is fun as hell
    3. Good "neutral-to-every-playstyle" rating system
    4. Focus on Stealth (though I would have liked a tool to escape properly out of a fight or stun 1 or 2 enemies so I can knock them down and continue "saving the situation" if I messed up a little)
    5. The fun mini-games
    6. The customization of difficulty

My main problems:

1. The linear level design. Nr. 1 gripe for me
    2. The restrcitions on tools (rope arrow)
    3. No free Jumping
    4. The mediocre - bad story
    5. Wasted potential in terms of side characters (not fleshed-out enough)

About hub... The hub is chopped into several fairly large portions separated by loading screens. There is maybe a few hundred gold's worth of loot in each of these big areas. There's a few citydwellers and some guards walking on the streets. Houses, or more precisely the rooms, that you can loot are all empty of npcs. Basically, hubs are places where you can get money and collectibles (bleh), if you are patient enough to search every nook and cranny. There are also some 'puzzles' where you have to find the right beam for your rope arrow or then you have to find some switch and possibly shoot it with a blunt arrow. All in all, it's boring. Missions are the interesting stuff in Thief. Hub is just an unnecessary filler.

My honest review

"Truth is treason in an empire of lies", I am reminded by Keeper Ron Paul, and I think that pretty much sums up the introductory to my review of Thief and that I have just now committed treason in the eyes of so many by telling the truth about this newest game release. I know it doesn't boast well to many people, but my 3rd day into playing Thief, what I have found is that this game genuinely reflects the environment that the developers were put through.

It reminds me of a game that had potential, but suffered a fate not very indifferent from John Romeros Dai Katana and yes, even Duke Nukem Forever...

My biggest complaint since I have been playing this game has been that I feel a claustraphobia that I didn't have even when I was playing Deadly Shadows. (Even giving the restrictions that the Unreal 2 Engine imposed, it still managed to take two steps forward but with one step backward) Thief: Deadly Shadows was a gem that was cut a little rough around the edges, but a gem nevertheless. But back to my complaint.

The claustraphobia doesn't necessarily result from the physical layout of the missions, but rather the user interface. I felt a great liberation in what I could physically do in all thief games and this game makes me feel like I am walled in entirely, forced to follow the linear gameplay of context based "options".

And this right here is the polar opposite of what the developers of the original thief series did. Even in 1998! The programming, logic, and freedom of movement feels more fluid and more forgiving than this game, and that is a crying shame.

2nd, the story is simply not the intellectual marvel that dictated the original trilogy, the struggle between order and chaos, and the hands that try to manipulate both in secrecy. It was genuinely well thought out and cohesive.

Fast forward to 2014 and what we are given by Eidos Montreal is not the diamond that was perfected with alot of organized pressure, but is more or less a hoshposh of misguided ingredients that make up a kinda tacky sauce, which served on the plate with a complementary 10 dollar gift certificate for a dominos pizza. (Apparently the two flavors go together if the spices or right, lol)

To finish, as I relunctanctly complete the third mission, I forget that I am playing thief, because what this game is just isn't Thief. I would rate it a 3 out of 10 given when you put it up against stellar classics like Thief 2: The Metal Age, and I would rate it a 6 out of 10 when considered as a standalone game that should have been titled like "Shadow Thief: The Legend of the Primal"

I think I would have rather seen a Thief game that was built from the ground up as a prequel, perhaps playing as a Keeper involved in the collapse of the old city, or as a youthful garrett leading up to his defiance of the order. There you would have had the liberty for an interesting plot, but allowed some cohension that reinforced and built on the original atmosphere and mythos...

One thing I know, and this will probably earn me an infraction or at the least, this thread will be deleted for being too negative, and it is this, Thief is indeed a diamond, and this game falls far short of even being a gem of any grade...

I hope this game doesn't end the franchise forever, I personally feel that if the sales are good, and they get another shot at it, that the next game will be pioneered absent of the production strifes and dramas and I believe they might get the mark right.

Go back, play the PC games, and see why so many games are taking one step forward and two steps back. Them old cats' in the 90's, given their technological restrictions, really knew how to make a game that was immersive and that pulled you into it...

Why would it be removed or baned?

I just have the image of Bane coming into the forum all juiced up on venom and physically removing this thread.

Anyway, I think the unfortunate fact is that this will indeed end the franchise forever. Unless we get a big sales surprise next week, this is looking to be one of the biggest financial flops of the year. This game was clearly VERY expensive to produce, and if it breaks 2 million sales between all 5 platforms, I'd be pretty surprised.

I think the game's greatest sin is that - whereas Deus Ex: Human Revolution was steeped in passion and love for the previous two DX titles - I don't get any of that sense while playing Thief. A few hamfisted little references in dialogue ('Back when I worked for Lord VanVernon...' and 'What's a taffer? Sounds stupid...') but apart from that, virtually nothing about this game feels like anything but a complete, callous dismissal of the DNA of this series.

If the game had been built from the ground up to be a Thief title... stealth would work better! But no. The team had to fuss around with Uncharted-style parkour segments, slow-mo bullet-time takedowns and every other misguided modern gaming trope. Tropes that gamers are growing tired of, in case the lackluster scores for this game weren't already an indication of that fact!

Thief 4 is a game that is trying to be 'cool' and 'hip'. But its idea of 'hip'... hasn't been 'cool' since 2008.
    signature image

Battlestations: Midway Lieutenant Commander
    I see no reason for infractions, ban or post delete. It is your opinion.

It is a REBOOT, it's not meant to be like the first two games!
    Dwight Schrute: Every weekend I volunteer at the local animal shelter and they need a lot of help down there. Last Sunday I had to put down a hundred and fifty pets by myself.

Originally Posted by ⓣⓐⓕⓕⓔⓡ
    It is a REBOOT, it's not meant to be like the first two games!
    Okay, but it still isn't a very good game, as the original poster wrote.

Being a reboot just pushes it further back the causal chain. It still excuses nothing.
    "The chief problem is that once you take the name of a beloved franchise, you're assuming responsibility for upholding its legacy". -AusGamers Thief review

Originally Posted by Astro
    Okay, but it still isn't a very good game, as the original poster wrote.
    I said it was not great and that it did not achieve what the originals could, but I never said that it was a bad game either. I would not even say that it is a mediocre game. It is a very mixed bag: pieces of greatness, brilliance and goodness mixed with okay stuff, bad things (some are very bad), and confusing things. The good still outbalances the bad though (IMO), but does not let the game be what it could and should be. It's a goodish game, but not quite there yet, it has too many flaws. I would not recommend anyone to buy it immediately and without a second thought, but I would not stop or dissuade anyone buying it, since I had a good time with and I find it enjoyable and fun, and also I think that the reboot has potentital. I think everybody should make up their own mind about it, and I gladly read other's takes on it, be it negative or positive.

Originally Posted by IHaveReturned
    Being a reboot just pushes it further back the causal chain. It still excuses nothing.
    The point is the game isn't trying to be the original two games, slag the game off all you want for how it plays, but no one should act like they were on the dev team and knew what the final product was aiming for.
    Dwight Schrute: Every weekend I volunteer at the local animal shelter and they need a lot of help down there. Last Sunday I had to put down a hundred and fifty pets by myself.

Originally Posted by Cody Strife

*snip*...

I hope this game doesn't end the franchise forever, I personally feel that if the sales are good, and they get another shot at it, that the next game will be pioneered absent of the production strifes and dramas and I believe they might get the mark right.

Go back, play the PC games, and see why so many games are taking one step forward and two steps back. Them old cats' in the 90's, given their technological restrictions, really knew how to make a game that was immersive and that pulled you into it...

Although I don't find this game so bad as you do, I agree with some of your points very much. Great review! Thanks for sharing. And I absolutely agree with the highlighted part.

Originally Posted by GimmeDaGun
    I said it was not great and that it did not achieve what the originals could, but I never said that it was a bad game either. I would not even say that it is a mediocre game. It is a very mixed bag: pieces of greatness, brilliance and goodness mixed with okay stuff, bad things (some are very bad), and confusing things. The good still outbalances the bad though (IMO), but does not let the game be what it could and should be. It's a goodish game, but not quite there yet, it has too many flaws. I would not recommend anyone to buy it immediately and without a second thought, but I would not stop or dissuade anyone buying it, since I had a good time with and I find it enjoyable and fun, and also I think that the reboot has potentital. I think everybody should make up their own mind about it, and I gladly read other's takes on it, be it negative or positive.
    Not very good doesn't mean "bad", it means not very good.

Page 2 of 30 First First 12345612 ... Last