Thread: Fan/player reviews - reactions (Spoilerific)

Fan/player reviews - reactions (Spoilerific)

Thank you EM for improving the Thief franchise!!!

Long time Thief fan and I must say this is exactly what the franchise needed

Too often in the old games I would get so frustrated at all the keys used just for movement. Multiple actions for one key definitely cleared that up and sometimes when I want to grab something on top of a crate I will instead sticky into the lean animation which I personally find keeps me on my toes! You just never know what's going to happen when you hit that key!

Another thing I am pleased you guys added is the improvements in simplifying the jump mechanic. I jump only when I have to now granted it is approved by design which is often indistinguishable from times that I can't but again I appreciated the tension in not knowing if the game mechanic is going to do what I think it is. Bunnyhopping is not a reason for free jumping and I'm glad that wasn't included.

The lean mechanic you guys nailed on the head. The only times I ever needed to lean was when I was right up against a wall. In the old games I would sometimes be tempted to lean slightly further away from the wall to get a safe glance around the corner or to look down at an angle but that was a bad habit and serves no purpose in a game these days! I used to play quite dynamically but now in my old age I find simpler more straightforward ways much easier on my hands.

Sound was phenomenal and I don't know what all the people on here are complaining about. Sound propagation is not needed in a stealth game because all you really need is to be able to avoid sight cones of your enemy and some very shiny graphics! I found the tri-mechanics of sight, sound, and player movement around the environment a little too demanding in the old games and I found the trimming down by mostly eliminating sound quite a relieve. Could you imagine having to sneak around with sound a factor with those old creaky boards everywhere! Not me no thanks! I found this area again was improved for the better because puddles and birds are easy for me to look out for instead of creaky boards. +10 points for making sound pretty much a non factor allowing me to solely focus on avoiding the guards line of sight.

Most of all I was just really overwhelmed with how well the graphics turned out and to be honest it really stole the show so to say Gameplay is really secondary for me so as long as the graphics are really good. I feel like a lot gameplay was slimmed down for a sleek new installment allowing me to pretty much relax and just enjoy the cinematic ride There is more that I liked such as the trinary light gem, shroud, ect but you guys don't need me to tell you how well those added to gameplay.

Well done EM!!!

Originally Posted by Advocate

Too often in the old games I would get so frustrated at all the keys used just for movement. Multiple actions for one key definitely cleared that up and sometimes when I want to grab something on top of a crate I will instead sticky into the lean animation which I personally find keeps me on my toes! You just never know what's going to happen when you hit that key!

Another thing I am pleased you guys added is the improvements in simplifying the jump mechanic. I jump only when I have to now granted it is approved by design which is often indistinguishable from times that I can't but again I appreciated the tension in not knowing if the game mechanic is going to do what I think it is. Bunnyhopping is not a reason for free jumping and I'm glad that wasn't included.

The lean mechanic you guys nailed on the head. The only times I ever needed to lean was when I was right up against a wall. In the old games I would sometimes be tempted to lean slightly further away from the wall to get a safe glance around the corner or to look down at an angle but that was a bad habit and serves no purpose in a game these days! I used to play quite dynamically but now in my old age I find simpler more straightforward ways much easier on my hands.

Sound was phenomenal and I don't know what all the people on here are complaining about. Sound propagation is not needed in a stealth game because all you really need is to be able to avoid sight cones of your enemy and some very shiny graphics! I found the tri-mechanics of sight, sound, and player movement around the environment a little too demanding in the old games and I found the trimming down by mostly eliminating sound quite a relieve. Could you imagine having to sneak around with sound a factor with those old creaky boards everywhere! Not me no thanks! I found this area again was improved for the better because puddles and birds are easy for me to look out for instead of creaky boards. +10 points for making sound pretty much a non factor allowing me to solely focus on avoiding the guards line of sight.

Most of all I was just really overwhelmed with how well the graphics turned out and to be honest it really stole the show so to say Gameplay is really secondary for me so as long as the graphics are really good. I feel like a lot gameplay was slimmed down for a sleek new installment allowing me to pretty much relax and just enjoy the cinematic ride There is more that I liked such as the trinary light gem, shroud, ect but you guys don't need me to tell you how well those added to gameplay.

Well done EM!!!
    I see what you did there.

Not a very cool thing to do, but I bump. I'm sure that there are a few people in these forums who'd share their reviews about the game and haven't done yet.

Plus this thread is missing a Viktoria and a Master Taffer review... ...khmmmm...

I'll get around to it once I get around to it. I'm a full time worker on top of a full time student, so I don't ahve a lot of free time.
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

Originally Posted by Master Taffer
    I'll get around to it once I get around to it. I'm a full time worker on top of a full time student, so I don't ahve a lot of free time.
    I hear you. I'm a full time worker too. Take your time, I was only pulling your legs.

Well cut it out. I need my legs. I use them sometimes...
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

Originally Posted by GimmeDaGun
    Plus this thread is missing a Viktoria and a Master Taffer review...
    I have yet to complete the game.
    Just like MT, I don't have a lot of spare time and what I do have is spent playing the game in a slow and stealthy fashion... just like I always do.
    I won't change; I consider this to be one of my good habits in life... I have far too many bad ones.

I write my reviews after the fact; not before. I've been taking notes as I go along; so when I do finally post my thoughts and score the game; all my personal likes and dislikes should be well documented.

signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

I've posted some of my thoughts in another thread but I'll be honest, I still don't get it.
    In my personal opinion, it's irrelevant whether or not the game is any good, it's whether it can be considered a true part of the Thief series? And I don't see how it can when the main protagonist isn't even the same person, but is only so in name. Oh wait, I forgot, it's a reboot.

I'm not saying Thief has to include the actual Garrett anymore, (although I'd prefer a continuation) as the original trilogy could have ended Garrett's story and we could have moved forward into a new chapter of this world and new characters. But by EM continuing to use "Garrett" makes a mockery of all that went before. I feel that EM has been disrespectful to what TTLG created.

I'm tired of hearing about EM's nods to the originals, they don't make a blind bit of difference. I ask you, if they weren't in the game, would people still FEEL they were in the Thief universe? This was only a Thief game in name.

I've heard it said that Thief is all about stealing. Really? I thought it was all about Garrett and the world he lived in. I thought it was about exploring this world using stealth within the evolving story.
    I didn't care about the general stealing in this world as it rarely seemed important and was so repetitive it killed any fun.
    I feel EM wanted a game with the stealing aspect as the main draw for the new gamers. If this was the case then they should have just created a new IP. But no, they had to give us their 'vision'.

Hmmm... EM's reasons for not employing Stephen Russell? To alot of people, he was Garrett. His delivery of lines made you understand the complexities of the character. But hey, it's their reboot, so it's not actually Garrett.

I guess there's no point in deliberating on the bad mechanics, sound propagation, story, action sequences, AI, dialogue, small linear levels, lack of freedom & exploration etc etc as it's been done to death. And yet people still think it's great.

It felt from the start of this reboot that it was never going to feel like I was playing Thief. I was so disappointed but I continued because I wanted it to be a good game in it's own right. Two of the best factors of the originals were the large areas for exploration & sound. These two alone should have been focal points for the devs. To get it so badly wrong is unforgivable.
    This game seems like it was released unfinished and they knew it. Or even worse, if this was the game they wanted to release.

This is 2014, good graphics are standard now, or so they should be. It's the only positive I have about the game, plus the customization which I applaud them for, even if it did not work properly for some people.

If you do get your sequel, let's hope you don't have to wait many more years. And this time, they understand that a rail game with bad mechanics and design won't suffice.
    Bottom line for me, this game was devoid of real freedom and exploration, and lacked any charm or soul.

Genuine apologies to those who enjoyed the game. I know some people will curse my views but this has just been a personal rant from someone who wanted to experience a new Thief on today's systems. It just didn't happen for me.

I have a simple job planned for this evening....

Originally Posted by Advocate

Well done EM!!!

Ahhhhh. relief.......anyway.....I definitely can't wait to read and critique all of the MOD and ADMIN reviews.

It'll be a fun day for all.

Originally Posted by NightStorm
    Genuine apologies to those who enjoyed the game. I know some people will curse my views but this has just been a personal rant ....
    No need to apologise for sharing your opinion... and no need to change your views for the benefit of others.

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
    anyway.....I definitely can't wait to read and critique all of the MOD and ADMIN reviews.
    Reviews from a "MOD" are no different from reviews from any other fan... so I hope you don't get too excited for no real reason.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
    Ahhhhh. relief.......anyway.....I definitely can't wait to read and critique all of the MOD and ADMIN reviews.

I don't know why the mod/admin thing makes much difference, but here's Jerion's review.

http://mistahkay.tumblr.com/post/780...88381481237582

Originally Posted by spyhopping
    I don't know why the mod/admin thing makes much difference, but here's Jerion's review.

The reason (in my case) is simple: You are the ones who've been around here for the longest time. So your dedication and love for Thief (the whole franchise) is unquestionable. Basically you are the ones who waited (actively) the longest time for this game. It'd be nice to hear what you think about it after such a prolonged period of anticipation and excitement. Call it curiosity. Certainly it would not change my opinion about the game.

Originally Posted by NightStorm
    *snip*

Genuine apologies to those who enjoyed the game. I know some people will curse my views but this has just been a personal rant from someone who wanted to experience a new Thief on today's systems. It just didn't happen for me.

I have a simple job planned for this evening....
    No need to apologise for your review. It's your opinion and it's just as valid as anybody else's. It was a nice read even if I disagree with it. I'm sorry that Thief did not meet your expectations and could not give you the enjoyment and entertainment you anticipated from it. Maybe the next game.

Originally Posted by spyhopping

Wow, Jerion hit the nail on the head for me, for the most part. I feel the same way about the game, only Jerion managed to word it in a much better way than I could. Great review!

You dissappoint me EIDOS

Having played thief games before Let me first say that the dialogue rates an F-, characters that repeat the same lines over and over every couple seconds? Are you bloody serious? Worst I have ever encountered in any game. Then the lack of effort they put into the game, stealing dozens of pens, letter openers and tea cups etc. Really? What a complete lack of effort and imagination. With the technology available and the open sandbox worlds such as Fallout and Assassin's Creed I expected far more than the small maps presented. It is supposed to be a city not a small village. Though the rooftop mazes were a nice touch there could have been a few bow guards up there to keep it interesting. Making Garrets mechanical eye a limited use ability was also a foolish gimmick. Then there is the insulting lack of continuity with almost no reference to the pagans or hammerites or keepers. Even as a reboot they should have made honorable mention out of respect if nothing else. And why a reboot at all?

The reason (in my case) is simple: You are the ones who've been around here for the longest time. So your dedication and love for Thief (the whole franchise) is unquestionable. Basically you are the ones who waited (actively) the longest time for this game. It'd be nice to hear what you think about it after such a prolonged period of anticipation and excitement. Call it curiosity. Certainly it would not change my opinion about the game.
    Perhaps that applies to Nate and Julie, but I'm not a Thief fan. I like it well enough, but I probably have less invested in the franchise than most of the regulars here. I'm certainly the least Thief-oriented person of the four active EM moderators. Glad you enjoyed reading my thoughts on the game.
    Make a cup of tea. Enjoy a nice cheddar. Always bring a towel.

Originally Posted by Soul_Venom
    Having played thief games before Let me first say that the dialogue rates an F-, characters that repeat the same lines over and over every couple seconds? Are you bloody serious? Worst I have ever encountered in any game. Then the lack of effort they put into the game, stealing dozens of pens, letter openers and tea cups etc. Really? What a complete lack of effort and imagination. With the technology available and the open sandbox worlds such as Fallout and Assassin's Creed I expected far more than the small maps presented. It is supposed to be a city not a small village. Though the rooftop mazes were a nice touch there could have been a few bow guards up there to keep it interesting. Making Garrets mechanical eye a limited use ability was also a foolish gimmick. Then there is the insulting lack of continuity with almost no reference to the pagans or hammerites or keepers. Even as a reboot they should have made honorable mention out of respect if nothing else. And why a reboot at all?

I think that the reason behing the reboot is pretty simple: The story of Garrett (the old dude) was quite over at the end of TDS. The story came to a full circle. He embraced his destiny and became "the one and true keeper". In the ending cutscene where he caught that child stealing from him, he introduced himself as a keeper. Plus Garrett pretty much destroyed the keeper order and destroyed the glyphs and scriptures. He unleashed the unwritten times, the dark age. It was a satisfying conclusion for the Keeper-trilogy. Also lets not forget that by that time Garrett was not very young anymore.

The ending of TDS gave way to something fresh and new in the Thief universe. EM chose this path, which I find a rather clever move. They tell a story about the power behind the glyphs and the mystical balance which was guarded by the keepers, but it is set in the distant future (400 years later) with another master thief, a completely different character (who's also called Garrett). This opened up new opportunities within the same setting and lore. So this game is a blank slate which is not so blank after all, since we come accross the marks of the past quite often in the new game which connect it to the old trilogy, also the main plotline is somewhat related to the past events. The game gives us a pretty believable timline and history for the past few centuries which set up the new age where the current events occur.

Also, I'm glad that they dared to move forward instead of making the game into a nostalgia act and by that butchering the great and complete original trilogy. It would have felt contrieved. This way they respected the source material and in the mean time paid homage to it.

The Hubworld is a nice addition (and while it is not grand, it is big enough), but it would have been nice if we could visit some portions of the other districts of the City too.

Yeah the audio issues are bad, I agree with you on that one. Plus they could have made more complex and less linear levels which could allow more player freedom.

The story of Garrett was far from being over. I was really excited to see a sequel. Reboot news was disappointing enough. And seeing what EM did is more depressive.
    I really hope that game won't sell enough. I want a proper Thief 4 game, and EM proved that they can't do that.
    "Not all shadows are cast by light, some are cast by darkness."

Originally Posted by Hamadriyad
    The story of Garrett was far from being over. I was really excited to see a sequel. Reboot news was disappointing enough. And seeing what EM did is more depressive.
    I really hope that game won't sell enough. I want a proper Thief 4 game, and EM proved that they can't do that.
    This is a proper Theif game (whether it is the best or not or good is up to the individual player to judge), only it is not a direct sequel. Also, have some class pal. You are talking about years of work here and it's not a bad game even if you happen to dislike it. Wishing that it should not sell is not nice at all. Many people worked hard a lot on it and they deserve some degree of relief and feeling of accomplishment. Also there are quite a few of us (yeah even old Thief fans) who want a sequel for this game for varying reasons: one of them is that we want the devs to show us that they can bring it to a whole new level, even achieving greatness with a sequel. And these guys proved that they indeed can do it, since they managed to deliver a good and enjoyable Thief game (even if it has quite a few issues and flaws) despite the development hell the game went through.

Plus as I said it is not a complete reboot, It is a sequel set in a later age of the Thief universe. They were quite straightforward about it during the marketing campaign. If you don't like the idea, then don't buy it. If you bought it, well, you knew that it was going to be a reboot of some sort.

But hating on this game just because you want a direct sequel to an already finished and complete trilogy... well... I just don't get people.

Originally Posted by Jerion
    Perhaps that applies to Nate and Julie, but I'm not a Thief fan. I like it well enough, but I probably have less invested in the franchise than most of the regulars here. I'm certainly the least Thief-oriented person of the four active EM moderators. Glad you enjoyed reading my thoughts on the game.
    Yeah it was a nice review and I have similar feelings about the game. I'm an old Thief fan myself, but I'm not a purist or a "hard core" fan.

This is a proper Theif game (whether it is the best or not or good is up to the individual player to judge), only it is not a direct sequel.
    I think it's a Thief inspired stealth game, but it's definitely not what I would call Thief proper. It's an almost entirely different approach to how the original games let the player explore and breath within the world. There is far too much taking the player out of the world to 'show' them stuff and not enough 'leaving the player alone'. I like what Randy Smith said in the RPS video stream, "trust the simulation". EM did not do this and in my opinion that runs contrary to what a Thief game should do.

Originally Posted by New Horizon
    I think it's a Thief inspired stealth game, but it's definitely not what I would call Thief proper. It's an almost entirely different approach to how the original games let the player explore and breath within the world. There is far too much taking the player out of the world to 'show' them stuff and not enough 'leaving the player alone'. I like what Randy Smith said in the RPS video stream, "trust the simulation". EM did not do this and in my opinion that runs contrary to what a Thief game should do.
    Again, it's up to each Thief fan to judge whether it is a proper Thief game to them or not. What makes Thief anyway? I think there's no general consensus about that except for the basics. Each Thief fan would list different things concerning what makes a Thief game a true Thief game (to them).

To me it is a proper Thief game, but it is one with a different approach. Yeah, I wish to see some of the old Thief mojo to come back for the sequel myself, and it is definitely not my favourite of the four, but I won't deny that it's a Thief game, since it is.

There is no denying that it is a stealth game named Thief. Don't really have time to elaborate at the moment, but maybe later if I'm feeling up to it.

Originally Posted by Hamadriyad
    On the contrary, there are plenty of moments in this game that prove they CAN do it. The game overall is let down by a number of problems, but I think there are some really good times where it really feels like Thief. With a few cosmetic changes, less linear level design, the reintroduction of the lore, and a better movement system, I think the game would have real potential to be up there with the originals.

Page 12 of 30 First First ... 2891011121314151622 ... Last