Thread: FPS issues (avg 6.4).

FPS issues (avg 6.4).

Unhappy FPS issues (avg 6.4).

Hi,

Having major FPS issues, starting from the logo splash screens and going into the menu. Did a benchmark test and got an avg of 6.4fps. I put the game on low settings (running at 1920 x 1080) and got the same issue. Verified integrity of game cache and it's fine.

I know I got the minimum specs, but still should work IMO. All other new AAA games work fine at medium settings.

Please help. Thanks.

Here are my specs.:
    - CPU: Intel Core Duo E8400 3Ghz
    - 4gb RAM
    - GPU: Nvidia GTX 285 with latest drivers (334.89)

Thief.log:
    08:51:43:370 (0936) > THIEF (64-bit)
    08:51:43:405 (0936) > ==============
    08:51:43:417 (0936) >
    08:51:43:429 (0936) >
    08:51:43:442 (0936) > Memory statistics:
    08:51:43:454 (0936) > Total RAM = 4.0 GB (4094 MB)
    08:51:43:467 (0936) > Avail RAM = 1.8 GB (1826 MB)
    08:51:43:489 (0936) > Total virtual memory = 8192.0 GB (8388607 MB)
    08:51:43:500 (0936) > Avail virtual memory = 8191.7 GB (8388332 MB)
    08:51:43:512 (0936) > OS = Windows 7 (build 7600)
    08:51:44:249 (0936) > [audio] TrueAudio unavailable
    08:51:44:275 (0936) > [audio] Convolution Reverb Option = SOFTWARE
    08:51:45:169 (0936) > [Render] D3D reports feature level 11 is _not_ supported. Feature level: a000
    08:51:45:382 (0936) > [Render] Initializing NxRenderer
    08:51:45:408 (0936) > [Render] NxApp successfully created
    08:53:41:014 (0936) > [audio] Convolution Reverb Option = SOFTWARE
    08:55:09:030 (0936) > [Benchmark]: Benchmark started.
    08:55:11:213 (2132) > [Benchmark]: Benchmark delay expired; starting statistics capture.
    08:58:01:529 (0936) > [Benchmark]: Benchmark stopped.

Try running the game using the executable in the Win32 folder, even if your system is 64 bit. A few people seem to have horrible fps/lag when running the game that get's resolved by running it in the 32 bit mode. And maybe lower resolution a bit.

Thanks Duncan.

Still having the same issue. Tried running 32 and 64bit versions and lowered resolution to 1024x768. No luck.

What's odd is that the task manager shows that thief is running 99% CPU as of the moment I load the game (even when the screen is black). Stays at 99% in the menus.

Put everything at low...no luck.

First game this happens to me. My rig's a bit old, but I never had to lower any settings to the minimum in other recent triple-A games like Bioshock for e.g.

I'm running an athlon ii x2 250, which is probably not to far off of yours and I get similar performance. ~12fps average on the benchmark with drops to 6fps and a little better on the prologue.

I haven't tried running the 32 bit exe instead yet.
    I run 64bit windows 8, maybe 32 bit windows would run the 32 bit version slightly better but it's not really worth an os reinstall.

To be fair we aren't really slinging "high performance" dual core cpus any more, that's probably more like the budget Pentiums and i3's.

Maybe the game is just taxing on the cpu with some particle effects, physics and maybe draw distance?

Too bad there don't seem to be many options to tweak the cpu side of things.

I should also mention that I have an hd 6950 gpu and all settings set to lowest at 720p, so a gpu bottleneck seems very unlikely.

Originally Posted by Hyger
    - GPU: Nvidia GTX 285 with latest drivers (334.89)
    285 does not support DX11, I am surprised you can even run the game in the first place. I guess Thief is DX10 enabled too?

Regardless, with my 780 I get 68 average FPS on the benchmark all maxed out except SSAA at Low and DoF at Normal. (1920x1200 and 100 FoV too, though not sure if FoV affects the benchmark)

The 780 is at least 4x more powerful than the 285, so, considering that and your CPU (of which the game really needs a quad core), I'm not surprised your framerate is abysmal.

Lower your resolution to 720p or something, turn everything off, and maybe you can play it at 30FPS. Otherwise, consider upgrading your system; it's quite old and not suited to current gen gaming anymore.

If you really think you should have better performance, then continue looking for an issue, but I feel you're overestimating your old system; regardless of the fact that it was high-end at the time.

Originally Posted by DAOWAce
    285 does not support DX11, I am surprised you can even run the game in the first place. I guess Thief is DX10 enabled too?

Regardless, with my 780 I get 68 average FPS on the benchmark all maxed out except SSAA at Low and DoF at Normal. (1920x1200 and 100 FoV too, though not sure if FoV affects the benchmark)

The 780 is at least 4x more powerful than the 285, so, considering that and your CPU (of which the game really needs a quad core), I'm not surprised your framerate is abysmal.

Lower your resolution to 720p or something, turn everything off, and maybe you can play it at 30FPS. Otherwise, consider upgrading your system; it's quite old and not suited to current gen gaming anymore.

If you really think you should have better performance, then continue looking for an issue, but I feel you're overestimating your old system; regardless of the fact that it was high-end at the time.

Yes the game does support dx10. If a gtx 285 can't run it then eidos needs to work on the minimum specs. It's very likely the cpu side of things which the op seems to have confirmed already with the cpu usage percentage.

Your gtx 780 is running dx11, so of course there will be a performance hit (big or small) for dx11 features.

Dx10 should be easier on a card without tessellation and other dx11 effects.

And the op already tried a lower resolution.

Originally Posted by Mik James
    the op seems to have confirmed already with the cpu usage percentage.
    Didn't see his second post.

Yeah, there's nothing that can be done to get the game playable short of a CPU upgrade. His current CPU is heavily bottlenecking his 285, which would get more life out of it if the CPU was upgraded.. but at that point even the new GTX 750 (and Ti variant) is a better option, it'll perform better, support DX11 and run quieter, cooler, and consume far less power.

Hyger, you can try running this free utility and hoping it helps: http://www.lucashale.com/timer-resolution

If not, then you must upgrade your CPU; or preferably your entire PC, as it's not an efficient use of money to just drop in a more powerful, outdated CPU then be forced to live with a mediocre system again until you do a full blown upgrade. I made that mistake in the past; never again.

Originally Posted by DAOWAce
    If not, then you must upgrade your CPU; or preferably your entire PC, as it's not an efficient use of money to just drop in a more powerful, outdated CPU then be forced to live with a mediocre system again until you do a full blown upgrade. I made that mistake in the past; never again.

Unless you could find an old core 2 quad or something that would work in the same mb socket for like ~20$.

I'm contemplating doing the same if I can find an old phenom quad core.

It all depends on how good Thief is with 4 cores though. And it might give you a performance hit in less threaded apps.

Would someone mind helping me out here, too? I'm unfamiliar with a lot of tech talk (what does "CPU bottleneck" mean?), but I ran DxDiag and got the info below.

The game runs like butter when I first boot it up, but only for a few minutes, after which it slows to a crawl, and becomes a literal slideshow during any cutscenes. As far as I'm able to tell, everything is solidly above the minimum specs, but the game is essentially unplayable: I ran the in-game benchmark and it averaged out at about 4 FPS.

I had a very similar experience wit the DX:HR Director's Cut (the original runs beautifully at maxed out everything): smooth for a few minutes, burns out thereafter. No other games give me this problem - Witcher 2, Bioshock Inifinite, Crysis 2 all are playable at solid FPS with maxed-out graphics (or nearly).

I won't be heartbroken if I can't run the game, since it's apparently not very good (I caved and ended up buying it because I couldn't bear not seeing for myself), but I really like to, you know, see it for myself if possible.

Many thanks for any help or thoughts.

Specs:
    CPU: IntelCore i7-2820QM CPU @ 2.30GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
    RAM: 16GB
    Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 485M
    Driver Version: 334.89

THIEF is apparently very CPU hungry - a dual-core just doesn't seem to cut it, hence having one causes a performance "bottleneck". Upgrading to a quad-core CPU would clear the bottleneck and also let the GPU perform better! For people sporting AMD cards, thr upcoming Mantle patch for THIEF will ameliorate or outright fix these CPU bottlenecks, but I'm afraid NVIDIA users are a bit more unlucky.

Fear not, however, because PCGamingWiki might soon have some tweaks and hacks available to fix almost any issue: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Thief_(2014). Be sure to bookmark this webpage and keep referring to it in the coming days!

Pillowman, I answered your question in your dedicated thread. Check it out for possible solutions to your problem!
    "When the progress of time ceases, the evil one will be pointed out for all to see."

With my old GTX 260, the game is actually running pretty well. Much better details snd framerate than I thought I'd be seeing. Granted, I'm no uber graphics aficionado, but the textures and details are looking pretty good. I guess my RAM and CPU are picking up the slack pretty well.

Now if my CPU coukd fix the contextual controls, shroud, AI alert music, and cramped labyrinthic city streets, that's be sweet

What's you cpu df?

My cpu is quad core, 1st gen i7 930, as against the OP I think I may not get bottlenecking:

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core2-...el-Core-i7-930

My GPU is a 5870, so looks like I might fair well:

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-58...eForce-GTX-260

BTW, whoever mentioned mantle being the AMD card holders saviour... isn't that only for people with the latest r7 and r9 cards that support mantle, so, for example, I don't think my 5870 will receive any benefit from the mantle patch.

I kinda thought the minimum specs would be minimum playable (i.e. what I would call "runnable"... so "your machine can run it"), but it would appear the minimum specs are more like what will "allow you to load in to the menu screen"

In fairness dual core non-"i-class" (i3 i5 i7) cpu's are pretty damn ancient now... and eidos did state "high end PC's".

All I want is reasonable texture detail at 1920x1080 with 30fps. I see that is a bare minimum.
    Thief 5 creation instructions: Play thief 2, play again, pay UDK4 or idTech 6 licence, employ engine programmers who are able to code jumping physics, listen to fans not ubisoft

Originally Posted by taff
    BTW, whoever mentioned mantle being the AMD card holders saviour... isn't that only for people with the latest r7 and r9 cards that support mantle, so, for example, I don't think my 5870 will receive any benefit from the mantle patch.
    Unfortunately, only AMD 7000-series GPUs, featuring the Graphics Core Next architecture, or higher will be able to run and benefit from Mantle. Sorry!

Originally Posted by taff
    It would appear the minimum specs are more like what will "allow you to load in to the menu screen".
    That's exactly what they are - the bare minimum specifications required to run the game at all. This includes just browsing the in-game menu screens and they most certainly do not refer to playing the game at 1080p and 30 fps.
    "When the progress of time ceases, the evil one will be pointed out for all to see."

Well I've tried everything from very low settings with 1024x768 to even re-installing the game (20gb, although I knew it was a shot in the dark)... Yeah, I know my CPU's most probably the bottleneck. Still baffles me that I can play any other AAA game fine. Could it be that Thief is the spark plug for a new rig? Probably...