Page 4 of 11 First First 12345678 ... Last

Thread: THIEF - "HELP!! I'M STUCK !!!!" - General Community Q&A Thread - Warning: Spoilers!

THIEF - "HELP!! I'M STUCK !!!!" - General Community Q&A Thread - Warning: Spoilers!

Originally Posted by WrittenByMatthew
    Ok, I'm trying to find several chapter replay points. Can anyone tell me where the replay point for chapter 1 is? Also, I can't remember where the replay point for the second Vittori mission is, "Happy Medium." I have searched high and low with no luck and I can't seem to find an answer online anywhere either. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Edit: ^I've checked, this is definitely the right spot for Ch1^

Originally Posted by Knight5923

You sir, are an excellent human being, thanks

No, I'm talking about where in the city you go to replay a previously played chapter. I can't find chapter 1 and the second Vittori mission.
    Ah sorry my mistake. I can remember where the Bank Heist one is and that's about it :P

Currently on a 1050 Custom run for PC, meaning everything is on minus Iron Man. I had a 1005, however someone beat me to it. I have solved every puzzle, patrol and situation in Thief so far, however Ive come to a part which I believe is impossible in the current game.

Originally Posted by imMapex
    Currently on a 1050 Custom run for PC, meaning everything is on minus Iron Man. I had a 1005, however someone beat me to it. I have solved every puzzle, patrol and situation in Thief so far, however Ive come to a part which I believe is impossible in the current game.

Alright I figured it out myself. Since I dont know how to delete the above message and this also being the hardest thing Ive had to figure out in this game, Ill share how to do it.

Originally Posted by Knight5923

You are awesome my friend!! Any chance you remember where the Vittori mission "Happy Medium" is at? If not, no worries, you have already been a great help!

Update - I managed to spring left from the end of the pipe, by mashing all the control keys rapidly together and making a noise like "Mwahergharweoweahhg". It seems to be some combination of 'jump', 'move left/right' and 'forward', all at once or in some specific order. I can't figure it out, and now that I'm inside the foundry and saved, I don't have to.

Is it just me, or are the context-dependent controls really annoying? Open world bollocks. In an open world you should probably be able to jump when you feel like it, and not just when there's an environmental element to jump on to.

edit - I thought this would appear as a reply to my previous post, but it didn't. Clearly I'm about as good at forums as I am at jumping off pipes.

Stuck with some controls, hit an infuriating part of the game where you can't seemingly progress due to the control scheme? Try the following to see if it gets you moving again.

Activation and Interaction:

By default E (on PC) is the activate button. For passing through certain areas and performing certain feats you will need to press and hold down E. At other times you will need to tap E once or maybe continually tap it.

Jimmying opening a window requires you to first press and hold E to get the bar in and then to repeatedly tap E to lift the window.

If you are trying to pass down a tight alleyway/gap press and hold E to initiate the sequence. If you encounter a big lump of wood in the way you need to continuously tap E to get it moved.

E is for peeking around corners at context sensitive locations, please be aware that if there is some loot nearby it could default to a loot action instead and expose you when you don't want to be exposed and vice-versa.

Movement
    When trying to jump down from an area there are a few ways to do it. Walk to the edge and tap the space-bar to drop, if that doesn't work, press W at the edge so you lean over then tap the space-bar to drop. If that doesn't work try hitting the X button.

Sometimes you need speed to make a larger jump in this case get yourself into a standing position, hold the left shift key and W to start sprinting forward then as you near the lip from where you want to jump hit the space-bar. This can allow you to jump gaps you otherwise cannot make.

If you want to mantle something (that is to climb atop of - such as a bookcase) press and hold the space-bar to mantle up.

The X button (on PC) causes you to fast drop down ropes and ladders. It can also allow you to jump down from various areas. If you have reached a point where it seems you should be able to jump but cannot - try pressing X instead of the space-bar.

When approaching the climbable grates with the climbing claw, move towards them and hit the space-bar to initiate the climb.

Swoop is initiated by pressing the space-bar and a directional key. If you use the mouse to control your view you can in effect swoop around a corner as long as it is done during the swoops effect. Sometimes hitting the space-bar to swoop results in nothing occurring, you can swoop multiple times in a row. If you are crossing a noise making surface you will make the appropriate noise. But if you flit from a shadowy area and terminate your swoop in shadows they don't seem to notice unless they are too close.

Tools
    Default to E to use at the appropriate places.

Lockpicking
    Use the mouse to position the picks and when the circle is highlighted in white click E to progress to the next tumbler. If you hit E when it is not in the correct position it will generate a noise which can attract a guard.

How to navigate traps

Weaponry
    If you need to put the Bow away click the right mouse button.

To Draw the bow quickly hit the left mouse button.

To strike something with the Blackjack hit the R button.

Q is the default "takedown" button.

A throw-able object is defaulted to the 0 (zero) button.

Arrows are assigned numbers 1 - 8 and the mouse wheel can scroll through them. Whatever arrow you last had selected before you put the bow away (with right click) is the one that will come up by default when you left click to draw your bow. This can be bypassed by hitting the appropriate key (such as 8 for rope arrows) this will draw the bow with the corresponding arrow type..

Food for health is the H button.

tools [spoiler?]

This may be a very stupid question, but where do you buy tools? Wrench, wire cutters?

I guess the answer could contain spoilers so look at your own peril.

Originally Posted by Ascalz
    The bank heist DLC

Not sure if you figured it out yet,

PC User
    Can somebody please tell me which of the following things is happening:
    1. I am an idiot and I'm in some kind of level where not being able to use the bow is part of the story
    2. I am an idiot and left mouse button doesn't work the bow (and mapping it to the left mouse button also doesn't work the bow)
    3. I am an idiot and you can't use the bow when you're stood/crouching/in the light/in the dark and I haven't tried the right combo
    4. There is a bug that means I can't use the bow and so now I have to go outside and enjoy reality

I also can't throw the object I have or use the mouse wheel to cycle through arrows.

I don't even see the bow any more, it doesn't even draw an arrow.

You are awesome my friend!! Any chance you remember where the Vittori mission "Happy Medium" is at? If not, no worries, you have already been a great help!

Originally Posted by pattonesque
    PC User
    Can somebody please tell me which of the following things is happening:
    1. I am an idiot and I'm in some kind of level where not being able to use the bow is part of the story
    2. I am an idiot and left mouse button doesn't work the bow (and mapping it to the left mouse button also doesn't work the bow)
    3. I am an idiot and you can't use the bow when you're stood/crouching/in the light/in the dark and I haven't tried the right combo
    4. There is a bug that means I can't use the bow and so now I have to go outside and enjoy reality

I also can't throw the object I have or use the mouse wheel to cycle through arrows.

I don't even see the bow any more, it doesn't even draw an arrow.
    A few times I have loaded a game and not been able to use my bow or jump. it may be just that occurring. Do you have arrows for the bow at all? I've never tried but it may not draw at all if you don't have any arrows.

Thanks Meji, yeah I have tons of arrows but there is a very good chance I'm doing something dense. At first I thought it was because I only had a couple of arrows but then I bought some more and of different types, none of them work and I can't even throw my object. I tried restarting the game and then restarting the computer. I tried loading some previous saves but nothing worked. I suppose at least it's one less thing I can be distracted by!

Chapter 4: Great Safe - can't enter the other 3 combination #'s

I've
    and the game took me to a Great Safe. I have the combination document and I reset the safe and entered the first 3 #'s, but the game won't let me select the next 3 dials. I've tried everything that I can think of...there's a red light flashing on the left side...I suppose it's waiting for me to enter the correct combination, but I entered it. The game won't let me exit or move on...can't cancel out or anything...stuck...help!

OK...I found out how to proceed...looked it up on IGN...the combination is not exactly correct...

For those who are unable to complete the Chapter 4 pursuit with slow movement activated, see below. I'm posting this on my phone and haven't listed as "spoiler," but this information doesn't ruin the game.

I probably tried this 20+ times and like many others was convinced that this could not be completed with slow movement activated. What it takes:
    1st: Good timing with a combination of sprinting and swooping. I was "pulsing/tapping" my sprint in between FULL swoops and held in at others.
    2nd: NO rotation of view. Always be facing forward and swoop diagonally when needing to shift direction.
    3rd: Take the steps on the right going forward (not specific, but makes sense to people who are attempting this.

If all of this is done, you still run out of stamina at end, but a last swoop allows you to just barely make it. I don't remember if I did a "pulse/tap sprint" just before that last swoop. Hopefully this helps.

A story question (Spoiler)

Hi, im just in chapter III now, but still have questions, because i feel im missing some informations.

When i get the quest from Orion to obtain the book from hous of blossoms.. Garrets idea is... to get to Erins house to learn where it is.. so i thought he hopes for some information/indication to how find blossoms... but when he gets there.. he "meets" Erin, where she speaks about finding a key and bla bla.. then he founds a medailon... ant thats it.. when i went out.. Garret all of sudden knew that he needs to look for red lights.. When did he learned that?

Thanks

Im stuck at chapter three,

Has anyone found themselves in the same scenario and managed to solve it?

Originally Posted by lukketotte
    Im stuck at chapter three,

Has anyone found themselves in the same scenario and managed to solve it?
    Same problem here and any insight would be appreciated!

PS3 user, prologue safe, no matter where the lockpick is moved to or how much the indicator lights up, the pin can never be set.

Originally Posted by GQSmoos
    I'm having this problem too. I'm on PS4, however. Throughout the game that I've played so far, I've always pressed L2 to drop, but in these Air Ducts I have pressed every button on my controller and he will simply not drop down.

My only thought is to restart the game with Aerial Attacks enabled, but I don't really want to do that. Please someone tell me I'm just being retarded.
    GQSmoos,
    I'm seeing the same on PS4. I've tried using both L2 and the X button. Neither work. Seems PC users are using 'X' on the keyboard but I'm not sure what that maps to on the PS4 controller. It's really frustrating.

I can easily drop down using R1 to do a takedown, but I'm playing the game with no kills/no knockouts.

Have you figured out how to drop down? Thanks!

Originally Posted by Lightstorm
    GQSmoos,
    I'm seeing the same on PS4. I've tried using both L2 and the X button. Neither work. Seems PC users are using 'X' on the keyboard but I'm not sure what that maps to on the PS4 controller. It's really frustrating.

I can easily drop down using R1 to do a takedown, but I'm playing the game with no kills/no knockouts.

Have you figured out how to drop down? Thanks!
    I'm not sure what button it is on consoles, but dropping down with the X key on PC is also how you move fast down ropes and ladders. Is there a listing with the PS/Xbox controls for quick descending ropes and ladders like that?

Just figured this out

Originally Posted by GQSmoos
    I'm having this problem too. I'm on PS4, however. Throughout the game that I've played so far, I've always pressed L2 to drop, but in these Air Ducts I have pressed every button on my controller and he will simply not drop down.

My only thought is to restart the game with Aerial Attacks enabled, but I don't really want to do that. Please someone tell me I'm just being retarded.
    I pressed circle and it worked, something about canceling commands pc users were talking about. Try pressing L2, X, and O to get out of here.

Originally Posted by Undeviginti
    I pressed circle and it worked, something about canceling commands pc users were talking about. Try pressing L2, X, and O to get out of here.
    You...are a TV saver. I was close to throwing my controller through it. Not sure if this is a bug, but how in the HELL would gamers know to press the Cancel button, when you clearly use L2 to jump? I'd even say X for swoop would be a good choice as well, but CANCEL? Wow...

Thank you, thank you...

-Marc

Page 4 of 11 First First 12345678 ... Last