Page 3 of 3 First First 123

Thread: "OPEN FOR BUSINESS" - THIEF Merchants/Traders & City/District Map - All Discussion

"OPEN FOR BUSINESS" - THIEF Merchants/Traders & City/District Map - All Discussion

@NyteSama - I agree, that one is definitely one of the worst of the bunch, and there are a couple others like that, but for the most part, the maps almost always provided at least some useful information to go on. And they were realistic, as Garrett was usually bribing a servant, not a cartographer, on what the layout of the place looked like.
    "I can see only one good thing coming from a Thief 4. Mark my words on this one. It will make people love Deadly Shadows." -Digital Nightfall (4/4/2008)

Loved the old style maps simply because they gave you an idea of what was there and not a complete and accurate detailing of every single location. It meant that you had to use your head a little more.

Hopefully the minimap can be turned off, I detest follow the arrow games.

Was it confirmed somewhere we could turn off the mini-map?
    Dammit... I can't remember now.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Originally Posted by Viktoria
    Was it confirmed somewhere we could turn off the mini-map?
    Dammit... I can't remember now.
    I'm pretty sure it was
    I believe nearly everything on screen could be toggled off

Originally Posted by Meji
    Loved the old style maps simply because they gave you an idea of what was there and not a complete and accurate detailing of every single location. It meant that you had to use your head a little more.

Hopefully the minimap can be turned off, I detest follow the arrow games.
    Mini-map and waypoint icons can be turned off. You toggle the mini-map via the 'down' on the D-pad for consoles, for instance. The waypoint icons are via a setting in the menus.

That said, there isn't really a normal parchment map + compass system that you're used to using in T1/T2; so I hope you don't plan to do that. Sure, you'll find some parchment maps, but they're more for generic show, like a neat inventory item to look at, instead of a map you can use in a T1/T2 functional way to navigate yourself. Besides, you progress through the levels more linearly than before, with various points-of-no-return as you make your way through levels, completing various steps. So, there's less need for a map. I presume that's why you can toggle the map off and why there's no parchment map alternative... it seems like not looking at the mini-map to find your way won't be a huge issue. One can only hope Thief 5 will let us regain some of our IQ points in this regard.

I agree as the useless mapping system goes, but I don't believe there will be another Thief game (at least from Eidos) in the nearest ten years or so.

City Map

Is there a detailed city map that shows the entry/exit points to the various parts of the city? I seem to spend 50% of my time working out how to get another part of the city. I wish there was simple roads that lead from A to B! Urban planning, aside

Im with you on that one. Map is a mess. Also, do you have any clue why I cant find the side missions on the map? Ive done 3 story missions and cant find ANY side missions

I did three of them, too. And the dude keeps telling me to come back later - my guess is they will be avail later in the game.

Page 3 of 3 First First 123