Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: "Take 5 #2" Ask the Devs - Question submission thread! DEADLINE Wednesday, Sep 11!

"Take 5 #2" Ask the Devs - Question submission thread! DEADLINE Wednesday, Sep 11!

Arrow "Take 5 #2" Ask the Devs - Question submission thread! DEADLINE Wednesday, Sep 11!

Moderator Edit: The thread has now been locked. A new discussion thread will be created once the Q&A has been completed, stand by!
    -------------------------------

Hey guys,

It's time for another "Take 5” dev Q&A, where you have the opportunity to ask your questions about THIEF directly to the dev team!

After the submission deadline has closed, the 5 best questions will be selected and answered by the appropriate Thief developer.

As always, few quick ground rules:

• Users are limited to submitting a maximum of 2 questions per Take 5 Q&A session.
    • Please check previous Q&A sessions (links below) and the official Thief FAQ document HERE before posting, and avoid posting duplicate questions to your fellow users.
    • Please keep this thread on-topic, with posts containing question for the Thief developer team only. Off topic posts will be merged or deleted as necessary.
    • To maximize your chance of having your question selected, please ensure your questions are articulate, well thought-out and clearly stated.

Example:
    Good question:

I really enjoyed the recent story trailer, and I’m curious to learn more about the Preacher. Why is a Preacher leading an uprising?

Bad question:
    Holy crap I just saw the new trailer and there was so much to look at lol! I liked Garrett and the city but I’m not sure about the lamps but I gess every street needs lights hahaha! Whats the deal with this preacher guy and does he like tacos? I bet he likes tacos. The whole uprising thing just seems really scary and I wouldn’t want to be involved so why is a preacher involved? Geez I just really gotta know eeeeeeek!

Deadline for questions submitted for this session is the morning of Wednesday, September 11 (EST).

Previous Take 5 Q&A Sessions:

Session #1
    Movement mechanics Q&A

*Schedules permitting!

It seems you really have a thing for tacos. And we don't have tacos here. Now I'm both intrigued and depressed about them. And also want some fastfood.

1. Can we change properties af a surface, like we could with moss arrows or oil in the previous games?

2. (edited) What's the deal with magpies? Besides Jenivere, I think I've notices a nest in the E3 demo, so it seems they're used as a reocurring motive.

1. Many modern games simplify all enemy types into a few generic classes and a single art direction and visual design, to make sure that there can be no confusion about what is a threat and what isn't. For example "Red is bad". So, will all the guards in Thief 4 be City Watch? Or do we see different security companies, mercenaries, PMCs and gangsters like in the previous installments?

2. Will the player use the City areas to travel to mission locations? If so, does that mean that all missions will then need to take place inside the limited urban environment of a small portion of the City?

Oh THIS is session 2? I just thought it was the response thread form session 1. I'll resubmit here.

What length missions are you aiming for? Are you going for huge (First City Bank) or more moderate (Bafford's Manor)?

Will there be any kind of horror element to this game like the Cradle or the Haunted Cathedral? With the admittedly grimmer tone I think it would be interesting to see. Plus I'm a self confessed horror addict

1) How varied will the environments be in Thief? The original games included varied environments like underground caves and ruins, forests, underwater areas, cathedrals/fortresses and of course city missions with various mansions, banks, and museums to explore.

I saw the Rope Arrow in action at E3 and I'm curious to know more about the Claw. What is it used for?

Thanks

1. Can you describe a little the balance of the "economy" as it affects the thief. Besides the cost of rare items, will there be other gold sinks?

2. Is there anything to give the player a sense of balance between item availability vs opportunities for use? What I mean is to prevent scenarios of hoarding special items only to have them all left over at the end of the game, or the opposite where items are freely used and then perhaps not available at a really useful point in the game.

I'll give it a shot...

I don't see a given topic like movement mechanics like there was for the first question series, so I assume questions to be submitted are just general? Here goes:

1. How much variation is there within a mission to make subsequent replays of the same mission somewhat different or unpredictable? For example, are guards' locations or patrol routes randomized in general, will sentry or patrol behaviour change depending upon whether guards detect clues in the environment (open doors, broken glass, missing guards, etc.), and/or do important item or mission progression locations change on different playthroughs?

2. This Thief game is built to stand on its own from the original trilogy, but are there any nods within the game to the past Thief games that players of the past Thief games will recognize? Recognizable characters, influencing events, readable texts, etc.

Originally Posted by Mik James
    1) How varied will the environments be in Thief? The original games included varied environments like underground caves and ruins, forests, underwater areas, cathedrals/fortresses and of course city missions with various mansions, banks, and museums to explore.
    Strongly seconded.

1) Apart from the dogs and guards we've seen, what other enemy types might we encounter?

2) A quick follow-up: will the different enemy types (assuming there are any) require different strategies to overcome? ie. Will some have better senses of sight/hearing? Will some require special equipment to neutralize (a la fire elementals from the original games)?

1) I was rather bored by the story trailer. The preacher doesn't interest me. At all. Where's Benny?

2) With all this doom and gloom, will there at least be a few glimmers of humor to break up the bleak looking atmosphere?

1) How much will our actions influence the larger environment around us? Will we hear conversations on the street about a heist we pulled off? Is there any morality impact like in Dishonored?

1. How does the XP-system work? How do i gain XP? What can be improved with XP points?

2. What are the major differences between the difficultys? Does the chosen difficulty impact the XP-system?

1. I was pleased to see that Thief was coming out for the next gen (PS4/XBoxOne) because I thought that there would be less compromises e.g: graphics and level sizes.

Now that the game is coming for PS3 and XBox360 I'm wondering: What gfx compromises or differences are there going to be in the current gen vs next gen consoles?

2. Will there be any consequences later on in the game related to playstyle earlier in the game? Such as being violent early on meaning more guards later, or being stealthy earlier on meaning more traps/automated security.
    I want your brain... to make his heart... beat faster.

Originally Posted by deadoptimist

2. Can you, please, give us more info on the city hub. What can we do there? Will there be fences, like in TDS? Will the new quests appear there during the course of the game? Will it reflect in some way our actions?
    This is a great question DO. FYI, we'll be talking about the city hub in detail in the next Thief podcast coming out the last Friday of this month - So if you'd like to submit an alternative question instead you can

Originally Posted by knox140
    What kind of things can you do in The City?
    Same thing here - But please check the rules here guys, no duplicate questions.

Originally Posted by Silshas
    I don't see a given topic like movement mechanics like there was for the first question series, so I assume questions to be submitted are just general?
    Yup, correct.

Edited my second question.
    If it is answered, the forum will be so angry at me for wasting the dev's time. But I am more than sure that it won't be chosen.

Originally Posted by deadoptimist
    Edited my second question.
    Nice one, thanks. Interesting question!

Originally Posted by Mik James
    Thirded. I was going to ask this very same question, so I thought it was worth emphasizing.

My questions:

1. Will the player be able to swim and/or travel underwater?
    2. What other stealth tools will be available to the player besides specialty arrows? (i.e. flashbombs, scouting orbs, mines, etc.)

With Garrett falling down with Erin and waking up in an unrecognizable City, does this mean the reboot is vowen into the plot, with old Garrett falling in the old City and new Garrett waking up in a twisted new version of it?

I know, I know, spoiler. But this seems like the kind of spoiler the devs would *want* leaked at this point.

OK, here are my two questions
    1. Will it be possible to turn of all the HUD via settings (including guard alertness indicator, light gem, key hints (if there are any), arrow count etc.)?
    2. The game has dogs. Can they smell Garrett? If so, is there an ability to block or change Garrett's scent to trick them?

1. I've heard a lot of people talking about jumping possibly being context based. Is that the case, or will we be able to jump freely?

2. I was excited to find that Basso was returning for this game. Will any other familiar characters be returning as well?

Originally Posted by Fletcher_Fox
    1. I've heard a lot of people talking about jumping possibly being context based. Is that the case, or will we be able to jump freely?
    Welcome to the forum, Fletcher. Movement was the topic of last week's Q&A, so check it out here: Link
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

Any hope of incorporating RPG-like elements in the new Thief game, such as character progression, optional missions, or free-roaming open environments? Thief 3 had some of these things and it added to the gameplay.

I have 2 questions...one i will repeat from the previous "ask the devs"

1. Will the game have swimming, or any underwater areas?

2. I am curious about the animals, such as "next-gen dogs". Will there be other animals, such as wild animals or other types of guard animals? (I also hope that the dogs wont always be caged, and when they are it will be due to a good reason)

How does the team feel about the games reception so far?

Question: It's obvious that Thief fans are a passionate group of people and want to see this game stick to the roots so, aside from different arrow types, what specific elements does this game have in common with previous entries in the franchise?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last