Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: "Take 5 #1" Ask the Devs - Question submission thread! DEADLINE Wednesday, August 28!

"Take 5 #1" Ask the Devs - Question submission thread! DEADLINE Wednesday, August 28!

Arrow "Take 5 #1" Ask the Devs - Question submission thread! DEADLINE Wednesday, August 28!

Moderator Edit:
    Take 5 #1 has now been completed. The developers responses to the top 5 fan questions can be found here: http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/Take-5-QA-1

A discussion thread around this event has been created here: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=139168
    ------------------------------

Hey guys,

This week we’re kicking off something I like to call “Take 5”, a regular dev Q&A segment hosted right here on the official THIEF forums. The plan is to hold a new Take 5 Q&A session every month*, where you guys can submit your THIEF questions to the dev team.

For every Q&A session, I’ll select the 5 best questions and have the appropriate Thief developer answer them.

A few quick ground rules:

• Users are limited to submitting a maximum of 2 questions per Take 5 Q&A session.
    • Please check the official Thief FAQ document HERE before posting, and avoid posting duplicate questions to your fellow users.
    • Please keep this thread on-topic, with posts containing question for the Thief developer team only.
    • To maximize your chance of having your question selected, please ensure your questions are articulate, well thought-out and clearly stated.

Example:
    Good question:

I really enjoyed the recent story trailer, and I’m curious to learn more about the Preacher. Why is a Preacher leading an uprising?

Bad question:
    Holy crap I just saw the new trailer and there was so much to look at lol! I liked Garrett and the city but I’m not sure about the lamps but I gess every street needs lights hahaha! Whats the deal with this preacher guy and does he like tacos? I bet he likes tacos. The whole uprising thing just seems really scary and I wouldn’t want to be involved so why is a preacher involved? Geez I just really gotta know eeeeeeek!

-------------------------------
    Deadline for questions submitted for this session is the morning of Wednesday, August 28 (EST).

*Schedules permitting!

OK, here's a couple questions I have:

Can you tell us anything about the new factions? What part will they play in the new Thief, and will they play similar roles to the original ones? Or will Thief be dropping the previous theme of the conflict of technology and magic in favour of something new?

How much focus will you be placing on next-generation technology? Will any concessions be made to the overall design of the game to accommodate the graphics?

1.) What do you consider the "pillars" of the Thief franchise and how are you bringing those pillars forward into Thief?

1.) Some of the most memorable Thief levels (Return to the Cathedral and The Shalebridge Cradle) are absolutely terrifying. Does Thief have any frightening levels or areas?

2.) Looking Glass Studios had a clear design ethos of using simulated systems to create emergent gameplay (a tradition that lives on at places like Arkane and even Rockstar). Does Eidos Montreal have their own design ethos or credo, and if so, what is it?

Thanks!

edit: done and done. Thanks for the heads up, b1skit.

Originally Posted by ResonanceCascade
    1.) What do you consider the "pillars" of the Thief franchise and how are you bringing those pillars forward into Thief?
    AWESOME question, thanks! FYI, I've got a podcast that will be released this Friday (30th August) that already addresses this topic specifically, so feel free to edit your post and ask something else to maximize your chance of having your question selected!

Sorry if these are a bit long.

1. Thief 1 was made with limited technology and resources, so it wouldn't have been possible to properly animate all the possible actions of a first person character in a realistic immersive way, so Looking Glass put all their effort into making the control smooth. Deadly Shadows wanted to improve on that, by combining that smooth control with full body awareness animations, only succeeding half-way. So, was there a version of Thief 4 at some point that tried to take that process of evolution to its conclusion and properly reconcile control with the animations? I remember hearing about an initial version of the game that was entirely 3rd person and completely different.

2. As well as there being a very complex visiblity and detection system in Thief 1 that took many factors into account, footstep noise volume had a similar system. You could run, which was the loudest and fastest. You could walk, which was quieter and slower. You could crouch and move even slower and quieter, and you could crouch and walk, which was the quietest and very slow. How is footstep noise volume regulated by the player's movement speed and stance? What about swooping?

Was playing the first 3 games, in their entirety, mandatory before they began developing Thief 4?

Were there regular meetings about what was said in this forum, and how significant was what we talked about in this forum, when the developers were making decisions about Thief 4?

I assume our questions in this old thread are treated as separate questions and are still in the running to be answered someday, so I won't repeat mine: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=138332

1) Are all the campaign levels in the new Thief pretty much the same size as the old Thief games, with the same number of missions?

2) Do AI have a hive mind when alerted, or does word of your presence/carelessness have to travel by word-of-mouth where they have to be within ear shot of each other?

1. What was your main target when you decided to go with contextual movement (jumping + rope arrow)? Why did unrestricted movement not fit into your picture of a Thief-game?

2. I would like to hear some details about the "swoop". Does it make any noise at all?

1. Will we be getting Garrett's backstory in the beginning of the game in the form of gameplay or a cutscene, or will this information be revealed as the game progresses, if such information is relevant to the game at all?

2. What kind of other enemies can we expect to see in the game aside from City Watch officers?

1.In the first trailer Garrett is seen to be looking at a pocket watch,will we be able to use this in the game and for what reasons.
    2.Why is the Thief Taker General called that,or is it just a made up name for him.
    signature image
    I am the shadow on the wall.

1. How does the dev team define the genre of the new game? Is it supposed to be an immersive sim as the previous Thief games? If so, how is it reflected in the design?

2. I'd like to know more about the city hub. Will our actions affect it? Does it change with time? Do side missons that take place in it have branching? Will there be a dialogue system if we're to deal with its inhabitants? Any new info.

@b1skit If a question isn't in answered in the episode, might it get answered in a subsequent one, or do we need to resubmit the same question again in the next thread for that to happen?

Originally Posted by DarknessFalls
    I assume our questions in this old thread are treated as separate questions and are still in the running to be answered someday, so I won't repeat mine: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=138332
    Was about to say the same thing. I think some of those questions got answered in the forum FAQ, but the video talked about never emerged.

1. What does the experience/leveling system add to the game?

*EDIT: removed my second question, I'm sure I can think of a better one.

Will the grittiness of the reinvented setting leave room for Benny-esque moments of goofy charm?

Here are my questions:

- Will there be any help for colorblind people?

- How will the save system work? quicksave+saves, checkpoints...

Thanks b1skit (and devs)! This is a great idea.

1) Can you give specific info on the differences between difficulty levels (Normal, Hard, Expert)? In the first three games, higher difficulty meant more objectives, more restrictions, and occasionally new areas to explore. Can we expect something similar in the new game?

2) Is there any update on the possibility of modding/editing tools being released with the game (or sometime afterward, a la Deadly Shadows)?

Now this is better community engagement.

1. Have the developers given any thought to replay value? Are there enough alternative routes/ secrets/ consequences for actions etc. to make replay worthwhile?

2. I'll second the request for info on modding tools. I think a promise in this area would go a long way to placating the old school fans... which may then lead to a more positive atmosphere on the forums.

1) One of my favorite strategies for evading guards was to shoot a rope arrow into the ceiling and climb out of sight (A very handy strategy in Thief 2's Masks stage; Spider-man, eat your heart out!), is this still a viable option in the new game?

2) Will this "old school" mode I keep hearing about disable third person take downs? Please say yes. I don't want to line myself up for a first-person black jacking from mid-air only to dramatically be pulled into a cinematic to watch a guard get choke slammed instead.

1. Which HUD elements and helpers will the player be able to disable? The ones in question:
    - Guard awareness level (displayed over the guards head)
    - "press x to jump"
    - indications of being near enough to pickpocket
    - "press a for takedown"
    - xp gain notification

2. Can you give a thorough explaination of the "Old school/hardcore" mode? What part of the HUD and gameplay is changed when switching to this mode?

1) Could you go into detail on how the contextual actions actually work?
    Few helping/specifying questions related to this to give an idea what I'm after: 1.1) Do you have to seperately define jumping spots while building a level or 1.2) are the contextual actions rather based on different variables such as level geometry and player's position etcetera. Or something else?

2) I'd like to second auricgoldfinger's question about the experience system.
    And, regarding that, I'd like to know if you could consider the old-school mode disabling the XP system entirely.
    ~You reap what you sow~

Originally Posted by DarknessFalls
    Originally Posted by auricgoldfinger
    Was about to say the same thing. I think some of those questions got answered in the forum FAQ, but the video talked about never emerged.
    Good point guys. I didn't mention it, but I was planning to use that thread as a backup for this thread in case we didn't get enough submissions (but it seems that won't be necessary!). It's my bad on that previous thread - I was intending to use it for a community video but ended up getting pressed for time (it's been crazy for me - apologies).

I know that several of the questions have already been addressed in the time since that thread, but please, feel free to resubmit your questions here if they're still outstanding!

Why did you reboot and change a game instead of launching a new, similar IP (did you consider doing that)? In what way will the new title enrichen the franchise?

Since the hands are going to be such a big part of the game, will people be given the option of making Garrett right or left-handed?

1) Will there be touches of (sometimes Monty Python-esque) humor in the game? Or will it be completely dark?

2) When will we get to see the rest of the E3/gamescom demo?
    The admins who got to play the demo at E3 and even Steven Gallagher said that interesting things happen in the second half of the demo (which we never got to see, but were supposed to "see in the coming weeks").
    signature image

1) What themes are explored in the story?

2) Lots of games seem to do the combat-or-stealth thing these days. Seeing as Thief is built around sneaking, are you able to have any new cool gameplay/scenarios/etc that you wouldn't be able to have in those other games?

Thanks for all your hard work, can't wait

1) How big is the smallest level in the game? Is it without in-game loading?

2) Will there be a demo released? If not, why?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last