View Poll Results: Will you be buying THIEF?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. Absolutely not.

    35 27.56%
  • Not likely.

    43 33.86%
  • Probably.

    25 19.69%
  • Yes, absolutely.

    24 18.90%
Page 3 of 8 First First 1234567 ... Last

Thread: From what you have seen so far... Will you be buying THIEF?

From what you have seen so far... Will you be buying THIEF?

  1. #51
    Anyone find it amusing 40% of the people posting in the Thief forum aren't going to buy the game? Wish I had as much free time as them.
    Dwight Schrute: Every weekend I volunteer at the local animal shelter and they need a lot of help down there. Last Sunday I had to put down a hundred and fifty pets by myself.

  2. #52
    Originally Posted by ⓣⓐⓕⓕⓔⓡ
    Anyone find it amusing 40% of the people posting in the Thief forum aren't going to buy the game? Wish I had as much free time as them.
    They care about the series and want to get the message through to the developers. It's not always pleasant to complain about something, but at least the devs know how we feel...although to be honest, none of this should be a surprise considering we've been saying what we would like to see in a new Thief game for years now.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The highest ground...
    Posts
    23,047

    We all care about the series. The trouble is... we shouldn't expect to have everything we ask for, agreed? There has to be a little give-and-take otherwise the devs have no room to move and be creative, imo.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

  4. #54
    the poll doesn't look very good so far... someone must tell it.
    more than half of the votes are for - no buy -

    doesn't look very promising

    i am surprised by the current results
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Sterlin0?feature=mhsn
    look around and see what you can see...

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The highest ground...
    Posts
    23,047

    I think it is far too early to rely on the accuracy of a poll asking if you are going to buy Thief.. It was the same thing with DX;HR, many stated they wouldn't buy it because of this or that. Guess what... they changed their minds.

    So, I'm not too surprised about the result so far, plus this poll was created before E3 and there were many questions still unanswered at that time. Now that we know a lot of elements can be turned on/off and that the screen shroud and HUD is WIP, people may or may not vote differently now.

    We need ANOTHER poll a little later down the line. Time changes everything... for better or worse.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

  6. #56
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Montrealing all over this place
    Posts
    3,041
    Realistically, the Not Likely category, currently the most "popular", is also the most likely to change to a Probably.

    This poll cruelly lacks an "undecided" option, which I'm willing to bet would take the toll over both "probably" and "not likely".

    I also think many here are hoping for a few limited key modifications, and this is our way of saying so to the team. I think the Ultimate Edition of HR, with its modifications suggested by the players before and after release, should be a lesson to this team. We were right about the Boss Fights, and your sister team changed it post-release. We whine a lot, and shoot in all directions, but there is wisdom to be found on this board. One just needs to be patient, and look thoroughly.

    Contrary to what some ill-intended people may think, the gamers here know what they want and like. Sometimes it's complicated to express properly, and it's always impossible to gauge with focus group-like feedback. Engineering is a complex process, which requires a complex feedback approach.
    To lose one parent, Mr Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The highest ground...
    Posts
    23,047
    I agree.
    Yeah, I was not a fan of the highlight or boss fights in DXHR.
    Also not a fan of the ending(s) either.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,186
    Originally Posted by Viktoria

    We all care about the series. The trouble is... we shouldn't expect to have everything we ask for, agreed? There has to be a little give-and-take otherwise the devs have no room to move and be creative, imo.
    This is partly a response to what you've said, and also an opportunity to slip in a general response to that translated russian interview I read recently.

    I disagree that there's no room to be creative if they kept 100% true to the existing canon. It was already a setting ripe with endless possibilities and new stories if you use a little imagination, without any need of changing the particulars. Otherwise how do people come up with fan-fiction, while being meticulously consistent in tone and setting to what came before? If amateurs can do it, so can professionals.

    Also never understood what is meant by "bring to a modern audience" as far as character design and setting goes. If they had presented us with an unchanged design from Thief 1 nobody who hasn't seen Thief before is going to look at Garrett/the city/factions and go 'that's so 1998.' Rather I imagine what they would think is "this is awesome, really cool, I've never seen anything like it." What, am I wrong?

    I sense they don't put the old Thiefs quite on high a pedestal as I do. I'll proudly admit that I think Thief 1 is more a 'work of art' than any other game I've ever played (which may change one day-- in fact I hope so). This is just this one man's opinion of course. I believe these guys think they can top the old stuff; they say they're 'updating' it-- implying there's some inadequacy of the old games where it has (artistically) aged poorly. Is there something I'm not seeing and it really has? Tell me if you think so.

    It would be nice if they had hired people who had gone "You know what, there's nothing I can do to improve this aspect of Thief; let's leave it alone". I would respect someone for thinking that way. Not because I just want more of the same because it's the same, but because it really is that good. Steven Gallagher refers to his work as "more mature". What does that say about his view of the old games?

    Gameplay-wise, though, this Thief could still be the best yet, even with the stuff I have misgivings about. I'm looking forward to it.

    Originally Posted by FrankCSIS
    Realistically, the Not Likely category, currently the most "popular", is also the most likely to change to a Probably.

    This poll cruelly lacks an "undecided" option, which I'm willing to bet would take the toll over both "probably" and "not likely".
    Or 'maybe'.

    I can't see myself paying full price for it. Last time I did that was with Dragon Age (lured in by the comparisons to Baldur's Gate), and what a disappointment that was. Plot is probably important to this game so i'm not sure if i'll be looking at playthroughs on youtube to help inform me, as I've done with some other games (I've dodged a few bullets doing this).

  9. #59
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Montrealing all over this place
    Posts
    3,041
    It was already a setting ripe with endless possibilities and new stories if you use a little imagination, without any need of changing the particulars. Otherwise how do people come up with fan-fiction, while being meticulously consistent in tone and setting to what came before? If amateurs can do it, so can professionals.
    I don't disagree with anything said in your post, but I think this particular bit would require a little more work than you suggest.

    Their issue, no doubt, was to present the same character to their new audience, in the potential few millions, all the while not being redundant to the old players.

    In the case of superheros, this was achieved by revisiting the exact same background story, but from another angle. This works well, sometimes, because of the decades of cumulative material the film makers could work with, without ever changing too much to the lore. Thief has a linear story, which always progressed in a single direction. It is a very rich world, but Garrett himself leaves little room to be re-introduced from another angle, all the while respecting the material to a T.

    It's not impossible of course. Things rarely are, especially in creative terms. I just think keeping Garrett, introducing him to new players and keeping true to the old, would require some truly good writing skills. Whereas it's a lot easier to keep some of his features, and re-visit everything else with your personal twist on things.

    There is, of course, a third option, which is not to be neglected. Star Wars : Episode 4, played the card that everyone ignored what came before, and simply went along with the events. This is not a process used often, and it works really, really well. Technically, they did not need to "introduce" Garrett to their new audience. They could have simply brought them all with him along for the ride, fleshing out the character as they go, not through his background story, but through his actions.

    Edit:

    I can't see myself paying full price for it
    Ah but the poll does not mention when and for how much. Unless it is implicitly saying "At launch", to which I must change my answer. I agree with the "maybe". It's the best answer yet, and it's nowhere to be found in the poll.
    To lose one parent, Mr Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness

  10. #60
    Originally Posted by sterlino
    the poll doesn't look very good so far... someone must tell it.
    more than half of the votes are for - no buy -

    doesn't look very promising

    i am surprised by the current results
    Pretty sure most of the people who voted "no" did so in an attempt to communicate they're not happy - so therefore they will buy the game on launch week regardless since it's far too late to complain.
    Dwight Schrute: Every weekend I volunteer at the local animal shelter and they need a lot of help down there. Last Sunday I had to put down a hundred and fifty pets by myself.

  11. #61
    Originally Posted by ⓣⓐⓕⓕⓔⓡ
    Pretty sure most of the people who voted "no" did so in an attempt to communicate they're not happy - so therefore they will buy the game on launch week regardless since it's far too late to complain.
    Not me. Even if it's too late, which it isn't considering that the game is in a pre-alpha state, then I still won't buy it until I see significant changes. If they do change the things I don't like, I'll still remain skeptical and rent the game before a definitive purchase.

  12. #62
    Originally Posted by ⓣⓐⓕⓕⓔⓡ
    Pretty sure most of the people who voted "no" did so in an attempt to communicate they're not happy - so therefore they will buy the game on launch week regardless since it's far too late to complain.
    I didn't vote "no" to communicate that I'm not happy. I've done plenty of that in other ways. I voted "no" to communicate that I'm not buying it.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The highest ground...
    Posts
    23,047

    The only poll of any serious interest to me (on this issue) would be the one a couple of weeks before release date.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

  14. #64
    Originally Posted by ⓣⓐⓕⓕⓔⓡ
    Pretty sure most of the people who voted "no" did so in an attempt to communicate they're not happy - so therefore they will buy the game on launch week regardless since it's far too late to complain.
    Well, if the game is pre-alpha like they say...then there is still plenty of time for some decent changes. I voted no to say I am not buying it.

  15. #65
    I think I will, but probably not at launch depending on the release date.

    Looking at most yet-to-be-released games, Thief seems to be the only game to have what I look for in a game:
    Stealth, multi-path levels, many different tools to use and experiment with and high replay value.

    So it's a probably for me.

  16. #66
    Probably, but definitely not paying full price for it. I'll wait for a good discount.
    signature image

  17. #67
    As more information and gameplay that's divulged, I find the answer slides further and further into an outright 'No'.

    It's not even the changes. It's that, even taken on its own terms, this looks and plays like a bargain-basement Dishonored clone. A game I didn't like at all.

    Romano's god-awful performance doesn't help, though.
    signature image

  18. #68
    Originally Posted by xAcerbusx
    As more information and gameplay that's divulged, I find the answer slides further and further into an outright 'No'.

    It's not even the changes. It's that, even taken on its own terms, this looks and plays like a bargain-basement Dishonored clone. A game I didn't like at all.

    Romano's god-awful performance doesn't help, though.
    Absolutely. I think there has to come a stage quite soon where people who care about the truly open , free and intelligent playstyle of the real thief games actively start discouraging others from purchasing this.

    For me, I think it was "40 xp headshot" that was 'the straw that broke the camel's back.'

    I was like " ARE... YOU ...KIDDING?, Right that it, no more, Im out."

    Enough of this. It's ridiculous. It's. just. not. Thief.... ( No matter what positive spin / propaganda you hear from Eidos... or the mods.) .... by ANY stretch of the imagination.
    "Why isn’t the game designed as a Thief game first, but with a casual mode option if you think its too difficult?"

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The highest ground...
    Posts
    23,047
    I enjoy open, free, intelligent playstyle too but wouldn't dream of discouraging others from purchasing Thief. I believe the majority of people are intelligent enough to make up their own minds based on the facts before them.... and, from what I gather, most are willing to wait for further information as the game is far from complete yet and we've seen so little.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

  20. #70
    Originally Posted by Viktoria
    I enjoy open, free, intelligent playstyle too but wouldn't dream of discouraging others from purchasing Thief. I believe the majority of people are intelligent enough to make up their own minds based on the facts before them.... and, from what I gather, most are willing to wait for further information as the game is far from complete yet and we've seen so little.
    We have seen little in terms of the different levels..... but in terms of the game mechanics and the style , I think we have seen quite a decent amount.

    Its been been insightful enough into the development direction taken by EM.

    And the majority of people on the forum here (as well as a sizable chunk of the gaming press ) are quite rightly dissatisfied - if not angry... because Thief wasn't like other games. It wasn't supposed to be. It was different. And now the reboot has the feel of just another console game. ( QTE, takedowns, animations, XP points, big explosions etc...)
    "Why isn’t the game designed as a Thief game first, but with a casual mode option if you think its too difficult?"

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The highest ground...
    Posts
    23,047
    If this is what you conclude, then that is your prerogative, of course. I don't do disappointment or anger; instead tend to remain open-minded when it comes to creativity. Whilst I am happy to read another person's opinion or review, I tend to steer clear of drawing conclusions or relying on speculation. I just have to experience for myself... it the way I am.

    EM told us this game was a reboot and so I expected to see differences. I'm not totally against the direction, animations, big explosions and takedowns etc... it all depends on how it is implemented. We shall see.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

  22. #72
    Originally Posted by Viktoria
    If this is what you conclude, then that is your prerogative, of course. I don't do disappointment or anger; instead tend to remain open-minded when it comes to creativity. Whilst I am happy to read another person's opinion or review, I tend to steer clear of drawing conclusions or relying on speculation. I just have to experience for myself... it the way I am.

    EM told us this game was a reboot and so I expected to see differences. I'm not totally against the direction, animations, big explosions and takedowns etc... it all depends on how it is implemented. We shall see.
    I envy you. I wish I could remain positive after everything I've seen so far.

  23. #73
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,412
    Originally Posted by Viktoria
    If this is what you conclude, then that is your prerogative, of course. I don't do disappointment or anger; instead tend to remain open-minded when it comes to creativity. Whilst I am happy to read another person's opinion or review, I tend to steer clear of drawing conclusions or relying on speculation. I just have to experience for myself... it the way I am.

    EM told us this game was a reboot and so I expected to see differences. I'm not totally against the direction, animations, big explosions and takedowns etc... it all depends on how it is implemented. We shall see.
    Indeed. Execution is what is important.

    When I read people being critical of the game because of the inclusion or exclusion of a specific feature or universe trait, I'm reminded of Bioshock: Infinite. Great game, but the majority of the things it does wrong are because someone, at some point, likely felt they had to include an element from Bioshock 1 in service to a brand name rather than if it made sense in Columbia.

    Vigors make next to no sense narratively, mechanically, and aesthetically in Columbia, but are there likely because "It ain't a Bioshock game without plasmids." Scrounging dumpsters for supplies makes sense in Rapture, however in Columbia it's bizarre because it's still a fully functioning city. Why do you think so many memes popped up with Booker stuffing his face with everything he sees? Because players recognize that it's weird, even if they are subconsciously recognizing it.

    Execution is what matters. It's why this whole idea that it's not a Thief game if it has/doesn't have "X" falls flat with me until I see how it's implemented aesthetically, narratively, and mechanically.

    For example, I'm still on the fence on whether I will use Focus in the game. I've seen how it works aesthetically, mechanically, and I've had hints as to how it works narratively. But each of these is an integrant of Focus, and for final judgement I'll need the whole picture. How does Garrett get this ability? What role will it have in the plot? If the plot explanation for the mechanic doesn't sell itself, then meh. I'll take comfort in the fact I don't have to use it.
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

  24. #74
    Originally Posted by Viktoria
    If this is what you conclude, then that is your prerogative, of course. I don't do disappointment or anger; instead tend to remain open-minded when it comes to creativity. Whilst I am happy to read another person's opinion or review, I tend to steer clear of drawing conclusions or relying on speculation. I just have to experience for myself... it the way I am.

    EM told us this game was a reboot and so I expected to see differences. I'm not totally against the direction, animations, big explosions and takedowns etc... it all depends on how it is implemented. We shall see.

    Im a generally upbeat , never say die person.... but I also like to be perceptive and realistic.


    And I also think creativity is a wonderful thing. But it depends WHAT you create. lol

    I mean someone created American Pie 4 and Step Up 2 but they are utterly terrible films.

    Someone created Apple hooch alco-pops.... and someone created cocaine and landmines.

    And the word I used was 'dissatisfied'..... (not disappointment as you quoted but yes I am disappointed as well) I admire your outlook on the world but....

    If you can see what seems to be a once brilliant product being transformed into a predictable / more limited + shallow product ...well... you would be crazy not to be dissatisfied.
    "Why isn’t the game designed as a Thief game first, but with a casual mode option if you think its too difficult?"

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The highest ground...
    Posts
    23,047
    Originally Posted by DrunkenGuard

    And the word I used was 'dissatisfied'..... (not disappointment as you quoted) I admire your outlook on the world but....

    If you can see what seems to be a once brilliant product being transformed into a predictable / more limited + shallow product ...well... you would be crazy not to be dissatisfied.

    Apologies for misreading that word and please substitute for the right one. My point would still stand though... I don't yet feel dissatisfied either about anything that "seems to be" - I need to play the game to feel that in all certainty. I was stoked to play DS but it was a huge disappointment for me.... so, you know, I can only fairly judge the finished product.


    Originally Posted by KalashnikovAli
    I envy you. I wish I could remain positive after everything I've seen so far.
    'Everything' would be incorrect. I have expressed concerns similar to those of others; but as much can be turned off or is WIP, I am not unduly worried at this point in time so that is why I don't continue to express concern in numerous posts..

    Anyway, its not really about positivity (or negativity) as neither view is balanced, but one is less unwise. Keeper annals.
    So, I choose the path I consider to be the less unwise. Disappointment, disatisfaction or anger are unwise to me (at this point in time).. so I just hover in the middle ground... and wait and see.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Page 3 of 8 First First 1234567 ... Last