Thread: THIEF - Voice Actors/Cast & Game Characters - General Discussion

THIEF - Voice Actors/Cast & Game Characters - General Discussion

Originally Posted by auricgoldfinger
    Maybe Erin is the in-game symbolisation of those taffers who 'don't play correctly' or treat the game like an action game.
    That'd be awesome... like an ongoing yet short embedded tutorial on how NOT to play Thief. Garrett commenting in cutscenes/briefings on how she needs to be more patient, stealthy and to not kill, etc.

Seeing her get in trouble a couple times by not being careful and then paying the ultimate price could be subtly great. Unfortunately, for better or worse, unless she somehow triggers the downfall of the building and, thus, her own demise, I don't see that thought/idea you have being on the forefront of EM's mind when they devised her story arc.

Originally Posted by DarknessFalls
    That'd be awesome... like an ongoing yet short embedded tutorial on how NOT to play Thief. Garrett commenting in cutscenes/briefings on how she needs to be more patient, stealthy and to not kill, etc.
    "Surprise!"
    "Finesse."

1.) Ok, because a burly super-hero type would be inappropriate, they decide to pull a u-turn into androgyny? Are those really our only options?

2.) "Garrett takes her under his wing and is determined to make her a master thief." Hmm, I guess I can kind of buy this as a personal vanity project of Garrett's, but it really doesn't ring true to the character we know. Yes, it's a reboot and apparently that's shorthand for "the old Garrett wasn't worth reviving in anything but name", but with all the fulsome spin-doctoring regarding franchise DNA, you'd think they would at least retain some of the original characterization.

Ohh man, this is really one big mess.
    What Plat said.
    There was actually a thread about Garrett "taking some one under his wing" a few years back. The main conclusion was more or less that it didn't make any sense at all. Even with pseudoGarret it still doesn't make sense. Why ohh why would he waste the time and risk with a street brat?

One thing which I really miss in this article is the improtant aspect of the unknown. Much of Thief 1 is steeped in mystery. Leaving parts of characters and the story without a complete explaination gives room for imagination, discussion and that longing for another piece of the puzzle. Keeping people fascinated and curious. It is true that the player has the priviledge of Garrett's thoughts. These were the pieces of the puzzle that is Garrett. A strong aspect of our protagonist is the fact that we know quite little about him. Sure, there is no problem giving a glimpse of the other aspects of Garrett like when we have seen him scared, but by giving him this cheap setting of a pointless ward not only removes a great part of the mystery, but also limits the character to very simplistic emotional reactions.

Why take away the mysteries EM? Is the possibility of forum discussion where people are puzzling with fragments of information that frightening to you?
    People are curious by nature, why not use that instinct?
    Why are people discussing Garrett years upon years since the last release?
    Because we were handed a puzzle, not a cardboard drama story.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/21/464...-gamescom-2013

Is this true?

Facepalm....double facepalm. What a bunch of crap.

Contrarian's ego is going to have its own gravity pull once he hears of this!

PS:

Garrett wakes up in a city crumbled under corruption, greed and an unjust rule. His friends tell him he has been gone for one year. And this is where the Garrett of Eidos' Thief begins.
    Plot twist: Everything past this point is a dream!
    To lose one parent, Mr Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness

Originally Posted by FrankCSIS
    Contrarian's ego is going to have its own gravity pull once he hears of this!

PS:

Or perhaps he's reliving his past life as an assassin thief encoded in his genetic memory.

Originally Posted by FrankCSIS
    Ooh, and Garrett wakes up 1/2 the way through the game in a land filled with glowing mushrooms, burricks frolicking in the poppy fields, a simplistic bow in hand, Tesla-powered contraptions dotting the landscape, elite becoming mechanists & nobles, Gravens becoming Keepers, Jenivere becoming human, and him freely jumping all around!

kinda reminds me of clive barkers undying years ago
    There is no Garrett, only Zuul!

They don't look too happy! Poor folks.

I like the family one better and like that the kid is holding a gear Still not finding the costumes (era and/or style) fitting to what I wanted to see in a Thief sequ- ..errr...reboot, but maybe it will grow on me more after playing the game.

I kind've like the Charles Dickens setting outside of Thief; I'm just not used to it for Thief... yet? And with the entire City likely fleshed out in this style, I'm fearful that there won't be much departure from it, unlike the earlier games with a variety of environments, colors, styles and (seemingly) distances traveled. I got tired of the setting in Dishonored lasting the entire game. That's one thing I like about Uncharted... the variety of places traveled in any given game.

Ooh, I can't wait, though, if there are moments in the game where there are seasonal and weather changes... snow in a Charles Dickens land, 1800s gas lamps, warm glow (hopefully) of home and shop interiors, smoke bellowing from chimneys and such during winter sounds lovely. Sadly, there probably won't be too many moments of people just being joyful in the streets (not sickly) in the winter time, though. November mist/rain in the same setting is also appealing to me for some reason. Must take me back to some old Disney movies of old London or something. I hope the cold gray/blue/teal filter isn't on the entire game.

I kind've like the Charles Dickens setting outside of Thief; I'm just not used to it for Thief... yet? And with the entire City likely fleshed out in this style, I'm fearful that there won't be much departure from it, unlike the earlier games with a variety of environments, colors, styles and (seemingly) distances traveled. I got tired of the setting in Dishonored lasting the entire game. That's one thing I like about Uncharted... the variety of places traveled in any given game.
    Yeah, they seem to have brought it forward several centuries, stylistically speaking. I always thought Thief had kind of a Hieronymus Bosch thing going, but I agree this has more of a Dickensian look. No complaints here, I like it, it's just different.

Don't like this art style, it just screems "Dishonored" in every way. Why does the people in this city have to look like this? Too cartoonish if you ask me.

Ooh, and Garrett wakes up 1/2 the way through the game in a land filled with glowing mushrooms, burricks frolicking in the poppy fields, a simplistic bow in hand, Tesla-powered contraptions dotting the landscape, elite becoming mechanists & nobles, Gravens becoming Keepers, Jenivere becoming human, and him freely jumping all around!
    It all sounds so idyllic - especially those frollicking burricks! Maybe Ramirez owns a ranch outside of town?

Lol! A burrick ranch. Too funny!!

Originally Posted by Statue
    Don't like this art style, it just screems "Dishonored" in every way. Why does the people in this city have to look like this? Too cartoonish if you ask me.
    Don't be hasty Statue, if you have steampunk, you must have gritty and sullen steampunky people with 19:th century inspired clothing, otherwise the gamer kids may be confused and refuse to play the game.

What's that? Having an original mystical late medieval inspired setting with steampunky influences as a contrast? Now that might be very confusing. People may be paralyzed by the strain of dealing with heavy artistic stuff like contrast. ~

I don't mind having shades of this, I very much like some of the hairstyles and the grime. But it would be even more interesting to throw in some medieval or renaissance shades too, and create a more interesting mash up of culture. This is very much Victorian Britain, maybe throw in some touches from other cultures and time periods too?

I generally think reboot should be an opportunity to by and large go back to the start and add a few twists, rather than add in the old stuff after making the new as it were.

Like change one or two things about Garrett's character and then let that ripple through your new story, not add bits of the old to a new.

Originally Posted by Statue
    Yeah. Very 'Dishonored' by way of 'Fable'.
    A far cry from the David Lynch-inspired original art design.
    signature image

Eh. Dishonored had a more... art-y? look. Also, dishonored was less victorian and more victorian/renaissance hybrid (The official word I think in Dishonored is they made it to the renaissance then suddenly discovered whale oil and started rapidly moving to industrial age).

Looks generic. I'm not sure about what to be excited here. A balding man and a grim-looking family in simple clothes. I wouldn't look twice at this if it wasn't related to Thief. And I thought that concept art is usually revealed to show something interesting.
    Also I would't say that it is Dishonored-like. Dishonored had crazy Japan-inspired Overseers, whale oil industry, magic and tallboys. I am yet to see something as unique in the new Thief. And this concept art makes me doubt that there is something interesting in the game's setting. So far it looks like we'll have only the slightly exaggerated grimdark Victorian London, we've seen in a ton of fiction before.

Don't really see anything interesting about these images, just a couple of generic scowly-faces.

Winchester brothers would have a blast with the Family Northcrest painting!
    To lose one parent, Mr Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness

Originally Posted by Triangletooth
    I generally think reboot should be an opportunity to by and large go back to the start and add a few twists, rather than add in the old stuff after making the new as it were.

Like change one or two things about Garrett's character and then let that ripple through your new story, not add bits of the old to a new.
    Yeah... I was thinking after watching the Uprising trailer that maybe Stephen Russell's voice wouldn't have fit the grimmer tone of the reboot as well as Romano's does. He was amazing when the game was a bit more light-hearted, with Benny the Guard etc., his voice added a sense of comedy that contrasted with the moronic guards that perhaps wouldn't fit so well in a game with a grittier tone. I don't know. Just opinions, I know that there are many others that would disagree with this, but I think the change in tone of the game justifies the change in voice actor far better than the statement about the voice actors doing the mocap ever did.

hahahah the general guy reminds of the bill the butcher from gangs of new york

Originally Posted by knox140
    Yeah... I was thinking after watching the Uprising trailer that maybe Stephen Russell's voice wouldn't have fit the grimmer tone of the reboot as well as Romano's does. He was amazing when the game was a bit more light-hearted, with Benny the Guard etc., his voice added a sense of comedy that contrasted with the moronic guards that perhaps wouldn't fit so well in a game with a grittier tone. I don't know. Just opinions, I know that there are many others that would disagree with this, but I think the change in tone of the game justifies the change in voice actor far better than the statement about the voice actors doing the mocap ever did.
    yes, that's justifies better. Yet, Russell's main role was Garrett's voice, not Benny's.

Page 4 of 15 First First 1234567814 ... Last