Page 50 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1590

Thread: Xbox One & PS4

Quote Originally Posted by pidipidi39 View Post
    Thank you again.
    I've thought about it though and I've decided to stick to PC gaming. I wouldn't really use a console that much and 2 games a year aren't enough for me.
    Sounds good - you have to do what suits you best. Hopefully I was able to help you make the decision.
    signature image

If any of you are in the Xbox Preview Program and are running Windows 10, try out the game streaming to PC - it's fantastic!
    Run the Xbox app and plug your Xbox controller into your PC. There's a quest explaining how to do it in the Preview app.
    signature image

thats something that makes absolutely no sense to me... if you have a pc and a xbone, why stream video of the game to the pc?? seems to me to be the most useless feature ever invented....

Quote Originally Posted by medievil1 View Post
    thats something that makes absolutely no sense to me... if you have a pc and a xbone, why stream video of the game to the pc?? seems to me to be the most useless feature ever invented....
    Your not just streaming video of the game, you are actually playing the game on your PC from your Xbox.
    Its Saturday night, the kids want to watch the TV, I want to play the Xbox. No problem! We can do both. I stream the Xbox to my laptop and I can still play it while they use the TV.
    Alternatively, I want to play the Xbox in another room. No need to lift and shift it, just open the laptop up.
    Not for everyone I admit, but not useless.
    Last edited by Tecstar70; 4th Jul 2015 at 17:07.
    signature image

Probably want to get their footback in the door of pc to start a new games for windows live, try to peddle their online subscriptions to us again. They are pushing that stuff pretty hard with windows 10 and artificialy locking lots of things behind it like dx12, fable legends and the new version of minecraft (same as they did with halo2 on vista)

Yeah I really don't see the value, why stream a laggy controller input delay version of ryse, dead rising, fable, gears, titan fall or tomb raider etc when you can just play it natively on the pc itself at higher settings for cheaper. Same with PSnow, can't just stream it like a movie because games rely on player interaction. Lara jumping too late over a spike pit due to input delay is not going to make an enjoyable experience.

Actually Larafan1996, it works flawlessly with a decent network connection.

OK, I get it. MS haters in the house. Pardon me for the suggestion of them doing anything good
    signature image

Little update on the PS4. Got the chance to check the manual last night and no, there is no mention of needing the net to watch blue ray dvd anywhere in it. And when not connected to the net you are unable to check your trophies list. You can still earn them in games, you just can't actually see your list of what you've got and for what games. Not a big deal, but very strange. So if you're a trophy nut, once you hook it up to the net, never unhook it.
    --->Winter's YouTube <--- Currently Serving 'TR:A'
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by WinterSoldierLTE View Post
    Little update on the PS4. Got the chance to check the manual last night and no, there is no mention of needing the net to watch blue ray dvd anywhere in it. And when not connected to the net you are unable to check your trophies list. You can still earn them in games, you just can't actually see your list of what you've got and for what games. Not a big deal, but very strange. So if you're a trophy nut, once you hook it up to the net, never unhook it.
    didn't know this was in question.. you do NOT need internet connection to view blue-ray.. I know first hand...as for trophies.. I think it may depend on settings... if you have it set to keep them on the cloud or locally.. not 100% positive as trophies, like xbox Gamerscore thing is totally useless.. would imagine only the kiddo's wanting to brag pay attention to that stuff

didn't know this was in question.. you do NOT need internet connection to view blue-ray.. I know first hand...as for trophies.. I think it may depend on settings... if you have it set to keep them on the cloud or locally.. not 100% positive as trophies, like xbox Gamerscore thing is totally useless.. would imagine only the kiddo's wanting to brag pay attention to that stuff
    Initially, yes you do. You have to download some update to use it. After you've done that tho, no you don't.

Yeah, the trophy thing could be because I logged in to PSN while I had it hooked up, but even after selecting "disconnect from psn" option I can't see the list. It just tells me "error. Log in to psn" so I guess if maybe you've never logged in to psn it's fine. Like I said, not a big deal, but strange.

EDIT: where are you seeing this save to cloud or locally option? My understanding is everything is saved on the drive automatically and you can choose to back it up online. I see nothing that disables saving on the drive.
    Last edited by WinterSoldierLTE; 5th Jul 2015 at 01:21.
    signature image

Nextgen is tricky business. But i think either system can handle whats given within reason. I find myself a bit frustrated with this "season pass" bit. It feels like a weak excuse to make us pay more to enjoy our games. I honestly hope it goes away like a bad dream soon because its hurting developers and us as consumers.

All the sub-systems are based around apps, so to play a Blu-ray you use the Blu-ray app. They are not built into the main system software like before. This means that they can be updated independently. If it is found an update is required for that app then you need to install it before using it, although to know you need an update you have to be connected to the internet so shouldn't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by kadosho View Post
    Nextgen is tricky business. But i think either system can handle whats given within reason. I find myself a bit frustrated with this "season pass" bit. It feels like a weak excuse to make us pay more to enjoy our games. I honestly hope it goes away like a bad dream soon because its hurting developers and us as consumers.
    Season passes are part of the bigger paid DLC problem and they will only go away if people don't buy it or it affects the main game sale. The season pass for Batman AK is £33. Now I love this game but I am not paying that for a season pass. I only paid £35 for the game!! I will wait until I can get it for at least half that price some time down the line. It will allow me to go back to the game later and get a bit more out of it.
    signature image

All went downhill right from the begining of dlc, you have these achievement/trophy things now instead of real content. Costumes, characters and maps, stuff that you used to unlock by actually playing the game well now they are cut out and you have to buy them ontop of the full price (that or they are pre order/console exclusive only things). Want that new costume for Lara? Time to pay up again.

Customers only have themselves to blame though, they have bought these online subscriptions from microsoft and now sony for 10 years that consist of absolutely nothing (the features they sell are no different than that which are provided on steam, gog galaxy, origin etc for free).

People call the games they have recently added to them "free" when they are anything but that so companies know they will go along with any old rubbish they say. How it was done in the past was something like Baulders gate, an expansion almost as big as the full game for half the price and now after dlc... Destiny "expansion" 4 times smaller than the full game for the same price as the game itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Larafan1996 View Post
    All went downhill right from the begining of dlc, you have these achievement/trophy things now instead of real content. Costumes, characters and maps, stuff that you used to unlock by actually playing the game well now they are cut out and you have to buy them ontop of the full price (that or they are pre order/console exclusive only things). Want that new costume for Lara? Time to pay up again.

Customers only have themselves to blame though, they have bought these online subscriptions from microsoft and now sony for 10 years that consist of absolutely nothing (the features they sell are no different than that which are provided on steam, gog galaxy, origin etc for free).

People call the games they have recently added to them "free" when they are anything but that so companies know they will go along with any old rubbish they say. How it was done in the past was something like Baulders gate, an expansion almost as big as the full game for half the price and now after dlc... Destiny "expansion" 4 times smaller than the full game for the same price as the game itself.
    Don't understand what achievements and trophies have to do with paid DLC. Also what has PSN and XBL got to do with paid DLC? Isn't that just your anti-console view coming into it? Subscriptions pay for servers and online services. What services do you get for free on Steam etc that are paid for on consoles? Out of interest, does anyone provide dedicated servers etc for a PC gamers or is it all done P2P?
    signature image

Those trophy and achievement unlocked have become a substitute for actual content though. More often than not getting to the end of the game now rewards you with one of those pop ups, sends you back to the mainmenu with some concept art at best for your prize where they have a dlc category selling the things you should have just unlocked.

I don't think I am anti console I love many console games from nintendo, playstation and xbox (project gotham is my favorite racing game), I'm just anti business screwing over the consumer. I don't see the need to rationalise buissness deals because I don't work for these companies and I hold no alliegence to any of them. I find the way people support them over their own interests odd.

The PSN/XBL thing has to do with customers justifying the value of something once they pay for it, they feel the need to defend it once they pay which is what has happened with dlc aswell. Ask yourself what does a “service” like gold or plus offer? Here is what they say on the official gold page

online multiplayer
    free games with gold
    exclusive discounts and deals with gold
    smart match
    parties and voice chat
    home gold

So that's playing online that's free, free games with gold which aren't actually free, paying for discounts lol (things like steam sales happen all the time again free), match making free again, parties and voice chat is free, family sharing of your game library across computers is also free.

Regarding dedicated servers, the biggest game in the industry doesn't even use them properly, the best it's done is a hybrid of p2p/dedicated servers. Interestingly when sony wasn't charging for online they were actually providing dedicated servers for their first party games on ps3 so the whole you get what you pay for thing kind of goes out the window.

Well on PC games companies like EA, ubisoft, square enix and so forth provide the same mix of p2p and dedicated servers as consoles (and pc players can also host their own servers if they like aswell). When you play titanfall on xbox it is the same kind of azure dedicated servers that they providing on PC, people playing final fantasy 14 with those on PC can do so because they are on the same dedicated servers, when people play street fighter 5 on ps4 next year they will be fighting people on PC crossplatform because again they are on the exact same servers. One side simply pays for the privilege while the other does not.
    Last edited by Larafan1996; 5th Jul 2015 at 15:08.

I disagree with your point about achievements/trophies being a substitute for content. I rarely unlock things because of achievements. As far as I know there are only a few games that do this. What they do do is challenge me to play games in different ways, or go for different goal within games and to some degree extend the life of the game if I choose to get them.

I get the point your making about PSN and Gold, although it is worth noting that Games with Gold was not an original feature of Xbox Live Gold and so in my mind they are free in that respect as MS didn't chae more because of GWG. Where they are now not free is that for Xbox 360 once you have downloaded a GWG game it is yours forever regardless of your XBL membership where with the Xbox One you have to have a Gold membership to continue to play them, but I thank Sony for that. When they started charging for PSN they justified the cost with providing "free" games to subscribers. Again if your PSN sub lapses you can't play the game.

XBL online features also had (have?) a better reputation than Sony's and that was attributed to the fact that XBL subs were contributing to that stability. I am not in a positon to categorically confirm this though and I don't know if Sony's has improved since they started charging.

So with PC games who is ultimately paying for the dedicate servers then? How are they financed?
    signature image

Those kind of challenges you mention already existed before though, something like "Complete Nepal with all silver rewards" in the past used to get you a new costume or something now nothing but some little text on the screen. Look at all the costumes in legend (you can even play as amanda), there's only like 6 in the reboot and you have to buy everyone They are also really immersion breaking, that silly noise plays and it flashes on the screen and it's like well that's completely ruined the atmosphere the game makers created.

Online multiplayer is financed same as on console really. If it's dedicated servers probably the publisher of the game like EA with battlefield or the new star wars (gives them more control allowing them to eventually pull the plug to try and force people to buy the next game in the series), if p2p like most games are it's actually the players themselves with our own internet connection.

Having played all 3 I can honestly say there is no difference in quality now (ninty is still years behind though). I think if they had a policy of dedicated servers for every game on the platforms I would definetely see the value in a sub but since we the players are hosting the games (on the internet connection we already paid for) more often than not they are basically game rental services.

Which are pretty good actually but they don't need to be hitched on to the online gaming to gain more sales (playstation plus was just fine on ps3 without the online multiplayer bit), that's simply taking advantage of consumer trust, most whom will believe Sony & Microsoft are actually providing those dedicated servers across the board giving them a better service in exchange for the subscription.

Trophies, yeah. I personally dig them. I'm really not sure why. As Tecster said, it can give you a different approach to your playstyle most times which can be loads of fun, depending.

And in the case of 'Alien: Isolation' it can give you a tremendous amount of relief that certain stages are over when those ones you get for completing a chapter pop up. Man alive, that was a welcome sound in that game. Especially for level 12. *pting!* "Whew! Got away from that beast at last..."
    signature image

Trophies, yeah. I personally dig them. I'm really not sure why. As Tecster said, it can give you a different approach to your playstyle most times which can be loads of fun, depending.

And in the case of 'Alien: Isolation' it can give you a tremendous amount of relief that certain stages are over when those ones you get for completing a chapter pop up. Man alive, that was a welcome sound in that game. Especially for level 12. *pting!* "Whew! Got away from that beast at last..."
    Yes, me too. If you've been trying to get through something for a while and you get that sound and notification it can be a fist pump moment!
    signature image

I disagree that achievements are substitute for rewards, though it's an interesting perspective. Many games still give you rewards for beating the game, or doing something out of the ordinary.

From what I understand, games are required to have these achievements/trophies in order to pass certification on XBox Live and PSN. It's not the developer pulling stuff out to make money, it's the platform vendor demanding it to allow passage.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Tihocan View Post
    ...or doing something out of the ordinary.
    I do have to admit those are my favorite kind. Especially when it's for something that's just so bizarre. Like 'Slender: The Arrivals' trophy "I'll just take this... I guess?". Cracked me up.
    signature image

I do have to admit those are my favorite kind. Especially when it's for something that's just so bizarre. Like 'Slender: The Arrivals' trophy "I'll just take this... I guess?". Cracked me up.
    Or playing Murdered: Soul Suspect - "You possessed the cat"
    signature image

Does anyone know how to copy photos onto a ps4? Is it even possible? I tried last night using a burned data disc and my ps4 wouldn't read it. Said it was an unsupported disc type.
    signature image

Does anyone know how to copy photos onto a ps4? Is it even possible? I tried last night using a burned data disc and my ps4 wouldn't read it. Said it was an unsupported disc type.
    Unless they have changed it, you cant: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Sony-...D-463462.shtml

EDIT: Nope, doesn't look like they have changed it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlaySt...ystem_software
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Tecstar70 View Post
    Unless they have changed it, you cant: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Sony-...D-463462.shtml

EDIT: Nope, doesn't look like they have changed it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlaySt...ystem_software
    Ah, man that's a bummer. Thanks.
    signature image

Some excellent questions here, and some that I've wondered myself over the last few weeks I've spent with my PS4...

signature image

Page 50 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast