Page 25 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: Xbox One & PS4

What a disgrace:

Petition to bring back DRM policies for Xbox One

THOUSANDS of people have signed a petition urging Microsoft to re-instate features for the forthcoming Xbox One console that were removed following an angry fan response.

The petition, entitled Microsoft: Give Us Back The Xbox One we were promised, has appeared on Change.org and received over 9,000 signatures.

It is calling for Bill Gates' firm to re-adopt policies which allowed users to buy, share and re-sell games online albeit under heavy restrictions.

The policies for the console, which was announced at gaming exhibition E3 in June, were soon afterwards revoked following widespread outrage from gamers.

The petition says: "This was to be the future of entertainment. A new wave of gaming where you could buy games digitally, then trade, share or sell those digital licenses.

"Essentially, it was Steam for Xbox. But consumers were uninformed, and railed against it, and it was taken away because Sony took advantage of consumers uncertainty.

"We want this back. It can't be all or nothing, there must be a compromise."

The now defunct policies received a strongly negative response from Microsoft's customers due to heavy restrictions unheard of in the gaming industry.

Initially the console required gamers to log into the internet once every 24 hours and they didn't buy games in the traditional sense - just licences for the game.

Instead of buying a game which is run of a disc, it is installed to the hard disk with the user logging onto the internet every single day to authenticate the license.

As a result, Xbox One owners would be unable to lend games for their friends to play.

And the pre-owned game industry would be controlled by Microsoft with customers able to sell their license online but only once.

The benefits were that users could play any of their games (which were stored in the cloud) as long as they were logged into their Xbox Live account.

The restrictions are a form of Digital Rights Management (DRM), which Apple adopt with the iTunes store and Valve use of their Steam gaming service for PCs.

The policies sparked widespread outrage from gamers, with Sony adopting none of the similar polices for their upcoming Playstation 4 (PS4).

Market anaylsts were predicting the PS4 would as a result widely outsell the Xbox One, and shortly after the policies were announced Microsoft revoked them.

In an official statement, former President of Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business Don Mattrick outlined the reasons for the U-turn.

He said: "While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content.

"We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds."
    source

Quote Originally Posted by St NightRazr View Post

Poor Wayward Souls
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    You guys are nuts.

Nearly 600 posts complaining about XB1 and MS's evil corporate ways, then an open source console finally comes along and you guys mock and dismiss it before it even had a chance.

I converted. Ouya looks quite cute after seeing a preview of it after release. Still not that hyped about it, of course.
    signature image

Fact: people simply love to hate Microsoft. I understand some of the WTF reactions to Microsoft's decisions and actions over the past few years, but they are a decent company, regardless of what people say. Just because they don't cater to your (as an individual) every desire, doesn't make them a crappy company. Despite popular belief.

(click image to enlarge)

Quote Originally Posted by Daftvirgin View Post
    Question. Just how frakking stupid are these petitioners?

Although I haven't watched either of the two rant videos in their entirety, I'm inclined to agree with the sentiments of Black Buster and the guy after him.

Tell me that this petition is not another stupid joke?

The second ranter had it right the first time: Xbox FANBOYS!
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    Fact: people simply love to hate Microsoft. I understand some of the WTF reactions to Microsoft's decisions and actions over the past few years, but they are a decent company, regardless of what people say. Just because they don't cater to your (as an individual) every desire, doesn't make them a crappy company. Despite popular belief.
    They're not all bad, but how they deal with the Xbox brand is what I don't like. Windows, etc is fine with me cause they're usually better at handling it all. Shame though that everything they have is really falling on it's face right now. Windows 8, Windows Phone 8 struggling, Surface and now danger to the Xbox brand.

I just kind of want to see the xbox brand be outshined by PS4 outside of that, I don't mind, personally.
    signature image

windows 8 is another dumbass mistake they made: why would you alienate every PC user and implement a touch-based UI on PCs? I get that they want to unify their products with a single GUI, but they could at least give us the option to disable this metro crap.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martok View Post
    Question. Just how frakking stupid are these petitioners?

Although I haven't watched either of the two rant videos in their entirety, I'm inclined to agree with the sentiments of Black Buster and the guy after him.

Tell me that this petition is not another stupid joke?

The second ranter had it right the first time: Xbox FANBOYS!
    I am astounded by this petition. It's completely bats**t that this is out there. They keep assuming that Xbox digital would be just like Steam. But that's just it, it's just an assumption. And we all know what happens when ones assumes

But as far as BlackBuster goes, I can't take anything he says seriously. Not a single thing. I've seen plenty of his videos, and he's a blatant fanboy. His bias just oozes from his pores. It's not just his criticisms of Microsoft themselves, but he jumps on any chance to discriminate and just outright demean the Xbox user base.

And that's to say nothing of his over the top and absurd delivery of his rants, that makes any statement hard to take seriously.

That Shokio guy on the other hand, yeah it seems like the two are saying the same thing, but Shokio does it with more class, and far more intelligence. He shows (from what little I've seen at least) how to make a balanced argument accounting all sides with a civil and level headed demeanor. +5 to that dude.
    signature image

BlackBusterShow is supposed to be entertaining, not to be taken seriously (anti-xbox one news channel lol) but he does bring up some interesting arguments though.

Shokio is a cool guy
    signature image

Yeah, one was meant to me more entertainment and gas, and the other was obviously a bit more eloquent (if still vulgar in some verbalisms).

And there's some stupid notion out there that this petition was started by a bunch of PS4 fanboys who simply are trying to drive M$'s already putrescent name into the ground (as if it can go any further).

BTW, (and this not any blame on DaftVirgin), but do not attempt to look at the first link he posted. I am now getting warnings from my Kasperski Anti-Virus software. Something's changed in the last little bit...and not for the good.

i was amazed my self to read this news about people wanting this crap back. what part of the limitations and restrictions dint they understand?

lol at the black buster
    signature image

Yeah, one was meant to me more entertainment and gas, and the other was obviously a bit more eloquent (if still vulgar in some verbalisms).

And there's some stupid notion out there that this petition was started by a bunch of PS4 fanboys who simply are trying to drive M$'s already putrescent name into the ground (as if it can go any further).

BTW, (and this not any blame on DaftVirgin), but do not attempt to look at the first link he posted. I am now getting warnings from my Kasperski Anti-Virus software. Something's changed in the last little bit...and not for the good.
    It's a link to the actual petition

Your anti-virus must suck because I get no such warnings from mine
    signature image

~ signed

windows 8 is another dumbass mistake they made: why would you alienate every PC user and implement a touch-based UI on PCs? I get that they want to unify their products with a single GUI, but they could at least give us the option to disable this metro crap.
    I think I read somewhere that you can.

BlackBusterShow is supposed to be entertaining
    Emphasis on "supposed to", I guess. I couldn't stand more than 10 seconds of him...

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

~ signed

I think I read somewhere that you can.
    I tried and I was only able to do it with 3rd party software. It's either free (and rather crappy) or paid.

Emphasis on "supposed to", I guess. I couldn't stand more than 10 seconds of him...
    I find him entertaining, but his rants get rather boring once you watch a couple of his videos.

But hey I can't stand MLP.
    signature image

It's a link to the actual petition

Your anti-virus must suck because I get no such warnings from mine

I know...and I had access to it for a short while to check it out, and then Kaspersky started putting up an alert when I tried to access it later.

Maybe it's your anti-virus that sucks.

I know...and I had access to it for a short while to check it out, and then Kaspersky started putting up an alert when I tried to access it later.

Maybe it's your anti-virus that sucks.
    oghe snNqazpp mrty anghti-)xvirdssdus wwddentd n,M:uttts

Nah just kidding
    signature image

oghe snNqazpp mrty anghti-)xvirdssdus wwddentd n,M:uttts

Nah just kidding

For a moment, I thought you wuz possessed.

Great reply, btw.....took me a moment to sort out what you said, but that was funny as hell. Well played, sir. Well played.

You'd make an excellent Tomb Raider
    signature image

Xbox One's Kinect will be able to read you like a book.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/...future-of-xbox

Cool...... or creepy?

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Well, it certainly does sound creepy....but, I also end up thinking on this term:

The 3D animation app I use, called iClone, has the ability to use the current Kinect as a mocap device, of sorts. It will read your body movements from the front, and interpret them as best it can so you can create custom animations without having to keyframe or MixMotion everything. It's still pretty much in its infancy though, so I stick to good ol' fashioned key-framing and MixMotioning by mouse.

Cool...... or creepy?
    I'll just keep on gaming in mah underwear, thank you very much
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by adobeARTIST View Post
    I'll just keep on gaming in mah underwear, thank you very much
    Underwear? Why so prude?

C'mon man, live a little!

Underwear? Why so prude?

C'mon man, live a little!
    hmmmm... come to think of it...
    signature image

Think of all the nudes y'all can get if someone managed to hack an xbox and be able to view the gamer via kinect remotely. You'd be caught in the nude. Keep dem undies on, tbh.

Cool...... or creepy?
    The NSA definitely find this cool.
    signature image

lol I bet.

Hmmm....shouldn't laugh, really. You just know it's gonna happen

I would just keep Kinect disabled unless it's required for Kinect only games, etc where I'll be properly prepared to play them and Microsoft won't be catching me off guard.
    signature image

Page 25 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast