Thread: Thief PREVIEWS! Links & discussion -NEW: Latest previews February (Beware Spoilers)

Thief PREVIEWS! Links & discussion -NEW: Latest previews February (Beware Spoilers)

Originally Posted by Pillowman
    http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/...w/#more-148437

Nothing hugely new here. Some nice elaboration on the kind of conversations we'll be overhearing - even if Benny's not there, my fears that the game will have a dearth of humor are somewhat assuaged. But a few quotes are likely to set some people off here. Case in point:

"Even though he’s not the same character from existing titles..."

Sigh. I wish EM would just let Gallagher do his thing and take over the PR for this game. I have faith in Stephane and the team, but the guy can't seem to resist planting his foot squarely in his mouth at every available opportunity.
    Yeah, I saw that earlier today. Wasn't sure if b1skit was going to post it or not so I didn't. I get the feeling that this article was much more orientated at the modern audience, people who know nothing about the game and don't really care enough to go to the forum to read the Take 5 articles, whereas the kinds of things we see on the forum are done for us (Take 5, podcast etc.)

There were a few problems I had with it. Firstly, when they were talking about lethal and non-lethal (I got the impression that the guy writing the blog got this series confused with Dishonored a bit), did they mean "knocking out guards and not knocking out guards"? Because lethal and non-lethal DOES sound like Dishonored, and doesn't really fit with what we've seen so far. As far as I can tell, the only way to kill guards we know of is with broadheads and fire arrows, and in combat (?), and we on'y get something like 6 broadheads per level, and only one or two fire arrows (can't remember the exact number). All the takedowns seem to be just knocking them unconscious.

The light bar information concerned me, as well. Is there still going to be a light gem on screen? Because looking at the light bar would involve looking away from the screen which could get distracting. Also, the light bar is on the back of the controller, meaning you'd have to tilt the controller forward every time you want to see your visibility, which is annoying. I really don't see the light bar as anything more than a gimmick, to be honest. It'll probably fade out of use from PS4 games in a few months, like the six-axis did for the PS3. If the light gem is actually going to be on the screen, as we saw in the E3 demo, then who would think that the light bar is a viable alternative, past gimmick status? It has no benefit and a number of drawbacks from the light gem being on the screen. I guess we still have the shroud.................................... :/

And I don't mind takedowns, in fact, I actually really like them (I know I'm not the majority here), but I do think they would be better in 1st person. I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind having them in 3rd person. For a game that focuses on immersion, choosing 3rd person takedowns over 1st person is a bit of a strange decision.

At least we haven't heard anything about the stupid "blowing into the mic to blow out candles" thing. The only good thing from that article is the eavesdropping, I think. But nothing too serious, I understand that we weren't the main target for this article, so obviously not everything can be tailored to our wants.

Originally Posted by Viktoria
    I read the whole statement. The inner Garrett sounds intact to me.
    Which bit are you missing?
    Nothing for me - I trust Gallagher enough to maintain what I like about Garrett.

It just makes me sigh preemptively when Stephane says things like "it's not the same character" when EM have been hammering home that it is the same character since the first press release. There's already enough hissing from disappointed fans who think Garrett has been incorrigibly altered for the worse - Roy's doing himself no favors by saying point-blank "it's not the same character," even if that's not exactly what he means. He doesn't have a lot of tact or a great way with words. Possibly to do with English being his second language - which isn't something I hold against him at all.

I just wish, in empathy, that EM would get someone else to handle the lion's share of press stuff so that they don't accidentally dig themselves into a hole. I like the devs very much for the most part - I don't want to see them get lambasted simply because they stumbled over words that aren't in their mother tongue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mqB4NTkiyU

Preorder Thief now to get the exclusive Bank Heist mission.

Originally Posted by Astro
    You have got to be kidding me...

I don't get irritated by any of this in the slightest now. It's too disassociated with anything else in the franchise for me to recognize as a Thief game, and I say that without a trace of bitterness: I just don't see Thief in any of this. It's like watching a crap new IP surface, but instead of just being apathetic as I would be towards a crap new IP, I enjoy watching it pathetically writhe in agony as it becomes closer and closer to the jokes made by 4chan before anyone knew much about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mqB4NTkiyU

Preorder Thief now to get the exclusive Bank Heist mission.

I called it. They took out a part of the game to sell it separately, or to incentivise blind purchase. This is kind of a confirmation that they have no confidence in their product. They need to be able to sell their product before anyone has the opportunity to form an opinion about its actual quality or lack thereof. Probably the latter. There would be no need to trick people into buying a good product, would there?

Food for thought: Which one indicates a good product that the devs want to market to interested players, and which one indicates a bad product that they need to scam players into buying? Putting extra development resources into separating a single mission to be used as a free demo, or putting extra development resources into separating a single mission to be used as a pre-order perk? Which is the one the devs can't wait to show you, and which is the one they don't want you to see before paying for it?

This is a good preorder incentive trailer, thanks for posting.
    It really sets the scene and presents the challenge very well and should attract new interest / new fans to the franchise... and that can only be a good thing, imo.

signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Originally Posted by Astro
    That looks and sounds awful.
    signature image

You guys must be having a laugh. I can't wait to get the loot, track my time and beat my friends. We're going to have a whale of a time doing all of those things I just said.

Wow, this reeks of desperation. They really are in trouble.
    Also:

http://kotaku.com/5909105/stop-preor...o-games-please

I really can't understand how any mature and thoughtful gamer can be even slightly encouraged by this cheap marketing gimmick. The whole ethos is the polar opposite to what I look for in games...and it shows who their target audience is - children and COD fans. Not thief fans.

Originally Posted by Jefferthefrog
    I really can't understand how any mature and thoughtful gamer can be even slightly encouraged by this cheap marketing gimmick. The whole ethos is the polar opposite to what I look for in games...and it shows who their target audience is - children and COD fans. Not thief fans.
    Don't blame EM for this- these kinds of decisions come from the publisher, since that's where most of the money's going to anyway. Blame Square.

It says nothing about the target audience, either. All it says is that they're a company. Companies want to make money, so they give preorder bonuses as incentives for people to essentially buy the game before any reviews come out. Believe me, if LGS was still around, they'd be putting out pre-order bonuses as well.

Indeed, maybe it's a sign of the times. Either way, our present culture sucks! Maybe indie games really are the way forward...when has a revolution ever come from a majority?

I agree with you- preorders should be stopped. Or, preorder bonuses should come from the retailer, not the development studio. For example: Game in the UK does a reward card scheme where you get points for every purchase. Preordering a game gives you double reward points. That way, you get rewarded for preordering instead of punished for not preordering.

Still though, I think blaming Eidos for this is unfair when really, they had no choice in the matter. It's either put in preorder bonuses or don't get funding from your publisher.

Indie games are definitely the way forward! It seems to be the only place in gaming where the focus is on innovation rather than how many polygons you can cram into an NPC.

Publisher does what publisher does.

My insignificantly little position is the same it's always been. No demo? No preorder.
    To lose one parent, Mr Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness

I've read somewhere that demos make sales drop, according to publishers' statistics (it was Ubisoft, I believe), so, I guess, we won't get much demos anymore.

Originally Posted by Viktoria

It really sets the scene and presents the challenge very well and should attract new interest / new fans to the franchise... and that can only be a good thing, imo.
    Yes, they need new fans badly since there are obviously no more than 2 old fans that are still positiv about the reboot. You and MT

You can't honestly believe what you say there is true?
    There are plenty who remain positive or neutral (or, to put it another way, not hating on everything we've seen and heard). You only have to read posts on this forum and on other sites.

Returning to the only valid point - new fans is always a good thing. It may inspire them to go back and discover the originals and, who knows, they may even become the next generation of fan mission makers.
    signature image

Of course i was joking. But there might be a grain o truth to it

Even i haven't given up all hope for the game, i just can't share your enthusiasm about every single thing that is revealed.

Originally Posted by deadoptimist
    I've read somewhere that demos make sales drop, according to publishers' statistics (it was Ubisoft, I believe), so, I guess, we won't get much demos anymore.
    Why do you think that is? Could it be that people playing the demo are finding out that the game is not worth their money? That sounds like it's entirely the developer's fault. If your game doesn't seem to be worth the money, there's something wrong with your game.

Actually, disregard that. There's no way statistics on that subject could exist. The real-world scenarios of a demo being released and a demo not being released are mutually exclusive. You can't collect data on both for comparison. You can only compare a game with a demo to a different game without a demo, which makes the comparison inaccurate by default. If it would be possible to determine that demos are causing sales to drop, then it would also be possible to prove that piracy doesn't affect sales. You can't do either. Piracy is possible, so it isn't possible to collect data on a scenario where piracy isn't happening, for comparison.

Originally Posted by NIB

Even i haven't given up all hope for the game, i just can't share your enthusiasm about every single thing that is revealed.

LOL, I would hardly call it "enthusiasm". That suggests I'm jumping up and down for joy.
    I'm really just open and neutral... so a different mindset to the one you imagine I have. To put it another way, I'm not hating on every single thing revealed.
    signature image

I am genuinely really excited for this game. The last game I felt like this for was Bioshock Infinite. Sure, there are a few things that if I were in the brainstorm session, and they had asked the question "how can we make this appeal to old fans as well?" I would have slapped them over the head for, and I think I would have sneaked into Stephane Roy's bedroom and torn the word "immersion" out of his dictionary at some point, but it's been so long since we had a really great pure stealth game. Dishonored was fun, but it had a big focus on combat that put me off it a little. In the end, do we play games because they look fun? Or because they have the voice actors we really like? And this looks fun, complex, and interesting.

If it IS a good game, then fans of the old ones who refuse to play it will just be missing out. Their loss.

Well, with this preordering gimmick, it looks like I'll be buying it used when the "Complete Edition" or "Ultimate Edition" or "Game of the Year Edition" or "Platinum Hits Edition" becomes available.

I'm fully aware that preordering is a tactic to entice the buyer to buy new, thereby putting money into the pockets of the publisher instead of a 3rd party.... but just as I can't justify paying full price for a new car that doesn't come with a radio, interior lights, rear seats, and a horn, I can't justify paying full price for a game that has parts withheld. I'm quite sure they're sitting on several DLC missions, too.

Not faulting anyone here, business does what business can get away with. More power to them if hundreds of thousands of people jump to preorder. More power to them if millions of people are content with a 10 hour game (not insinuating Thief is 10 hours...merely an example). Next time, I'd make a 9 hour game.

Sigh

What are you guys actually trying to achieve with all this whining? As I said some months back, if you want a true old school thief experience in a semi-modern engine, download the dark mod for free, or better yet spend some time ( like I did ) actually learning how to create levels and do it yourself.

We've known since the start that this is a reboot so won't be absolutely the same, I'm willing to forgive, especially if a level editor emerges.... As for pre-orders, that's just modern business practice, get over it!

I am "over" the preordering epidemic. I accept this disease exists, but am fully inoculated against it.

Whether a level editor emerges or not, it will not be free. It will most assuredly cost something. Which is another sign of the times: pay to play, DLC, pay full price to get bonuses, etc. Not important to me though, and I'd venture a guess that it's not important to 99% of the buyers. I want to play games, not design them.

As for the Dark Mod, I'd download it while it lasts. Thief, and all things related to Thief, is owned by Square Enix. It's well within their rights to prevent the Dark Mod from ever being downloaded again...even if it's for free. If SE wants to play tough, they could have that website shut down.

In a vaguely similar situation, recently, the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce forced some blogger to remove a photo of the "Hollywood" sign from his blog because that sign is copyrighted and may not be used for any promotion purposes unless the Hollywood Chamber gives consent. The guy sued, saying he was not making any money off its use because all he did was have a personal blog. He lost. Pay the image fee or remove the photo.

Not saying SE is going to play hardball, but they could, once Thief is launched.

Page 34 of 105 First First ... 243031323334353637384484 ... Last