Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Spoilerish] Did anyone actually care about Sam?

I cared about Sam.
    I cared about most of the characters, except Whitman etc.
    They should have worked better on the other characters though.
    It felt numb or something.

I want Sam to come on the next adventure and you learn more about her.
    signature image

Did anyone actually care about Sam?
    I was waiting for her 'Death Scene' but...

IT DID NOT HAPPEN.
    *starts crying and sobbing*

Quote Originally Posted by BinRaider View Post
    I totally wanted Sam to
    It would've been very TR4-ish!

I would hope for DLC where Lara is forced to kill Sam, cause Himiko actually managed to transfer into her but was delayed because the ritual was interrupted. Or maybe start the next game with it.

I did care about Sam :3 She was like my BFF And I...

Quote Originally Posted by Weemanply109 View Post
    OMFG! Same here. It was an amazing surprise! I hope Sam becomes her sidekick for coop adventures in the sequel! <3
    I don't think she will bring people she loves to her expeditions anymore :|

I wouldn't like the idea of watching my friends being killed while trying to saving me from some crazy smelly dudes. >.>

I personally cared about all the characters, Dr. Whitman... not so much.
    But like SpringAwaken said, I also don't think that Lara will risk the lives of the people she cares for in her other adventures. However, it would be cool to see some of the characters with Lara in the sequels.
    signature image

I mostly care about Reyes ._. She looked soo real :3 I thing I'm in love with her lips lol.

Lara is written as a smart, bright and trained adventurer and Sam is a dumb party girl studying the arts/film. It seems like Sam is ment to be 'ying'' to Lara's 'yang'.

Actually, I have a hard time believing that Sam and Lara were friends to begin with or is this intended to be some brain+bimbo stereotype match up?

Sam isn't dumb. I liked her in the flashback videos and her journals. Especially her dealing with Whitman.

Quote Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
    Yeah I cared about Sam.
    The way I expected the game to end (and the main reason Lara became 'battle hardened') was;

^Laura? ._. Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by SpringAwaken View Post
    ^Laura? ._. Seriously?
    Yes, I suck. (For some reason, I always think of the pronunciation 'Laura' even though there's no 'u' - it wasn't until that other woman.. Reece? pronounced her name I was like "Why the hell does she pronounce it that way?" then I realised they *all* do it - hers is just the most enunciated.) I'm not a long-time series player - I rented the first two and played them a bit (but I couldn't figure out the 2nd one at all - I was stuck in the swamp at the beginning and couldn't seem to progress anywhere) so this game really is my first 'real' experience with the series.

I actually *caught* the mistake when I typed her name inside the spoiler, but not outside.

One more thought (regarding how I *thought* the game would end, above)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin White View Post
    Yes, I suck. (For some reason, I always think of the pronunciation 'Laura' even though there's no 'u' - it wasn't until that other woman.. Reece? pronounced her name I was like "Why the hell does she pronounce it that way?" then I realised they *all* do it.)

I actually *caught* the mistake when I typed her name inside the spoiler, but not outside.

One more thought (regarding how I *thought* the game would end, above)
    Reyes and Himiko, Not Reece and Himeko

Quote Originally Posted by Sandoc View Post
    I'm starting this thread because saving Sam was meant like it should be the central part of Lara's motivation to go through most of the adventure. However, for me at least, Sam felt like some stranger I was never really given the chance to get acquainted with.
    Aye.

It's a problem with all of the characters of the endurance crew, not enough effort is made to make you care for any of them. I wish they'd given everyone the same attention and time as they gave Whitman and Mathias.

I totally wanted Sam to
    Actually I thought that was plan B and very likely to be executed. Plan C was similar, but

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    The staff just received a report about this thread title being a spoiler. I'm sorry but I don't see how this title is a spoiler. Also, I wouldn't know how else to name it while still being descriptive enough.
    It could be, though. Think about it, the title says "Did anyone care about sam", the use of the word "did" instead of "does" could suggest to oblivious players that Sam was killed since it suggests past tense. Well, I see the sense in it anyway.

I totally wanted Sam to
    Nice idea if the game's story was in the sequel, but sadly this would've distracted from Lara's self-discovery at the end, imo.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    The staff just received a report about this thread title being a spoiler. I'm sorry but I don't see how this title is a spoiler. Also, I wouldn't know how else to name it while still being descriptive enough.

It could be changed to something as simple as 'About Sam' or 'Sam and me' (with a spoiler tag).

I do wish there were a few more videotape scenes, something showing us just a bit more of Lara and Sam's connection. Even just one more scene would have been nice somewhere around the middle of the game. The videotape flashback thing felt like it was started but then didn't quite reach its potential or didn't have its own conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by pidipidi39 View Post
    I HATED Whitman.
    Heh, this is what I tweeted when I got to a certain scene...

signature image
    My Fansite: TombRaiderHQ.com

I cared about Sam a lot, actually. I liked her character and personally, I thought Lara lost enough with...

(click image to enlarge)

Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    I cared about Sam a lot, actually. I liked her character and personally, I thought Lara lost enough with...

We new about her father but she said nothing about her mother.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.

I felt like Sam was missing from the game quite a bit. She was a stranger in the story and I didn't form an attachment to her.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnaBass View Post
    We new about her father but she said nothing about her mother.
    In Lara's biography (detailed in the strategy guide and posted here on the forums) it says that since she was young, she travelled with her parents on archaeological expeditions and on one of those expeditions, they vanished and were presumed dead.

(click image to enlarge)

Quote Originally Posted by Relight View Post
    I do wish there were a few more videotape scenes, something showing us just a bit more of Lara and Sam's connection. Even just one more scene would have been nice somewhere around the middle of the game. The videotape flashback thing felt like it was started but then didn't quite reach its potential or didn't have its own conclusion.

Heh, this is what I tweeted when I got to a certain scene...

I don't think video-tape sequences were actually good story-telling - they felt kinda lazy and didn't make me feel attached to any of the characters. If anything, what would've helped would be some more "cooperative survival" missions - kinda what we had with Roth - though he was too much of a "generic mentor figure", so his assistance felt a bit deus ex machina.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandoc View Post
    I don't think video-tape sequences were actually good story-telling - they felt kinda lazy and didn't make me feel attached to any of the characters.
    How exactly did they feel lazy?
    It was a way for the player to get a better insight into some of the characters and see what lead to the voyage. I honestly don't think we were intended to be attached to any of the characters aside from Lara - it's all about her and seeing how her friends' deaths affect her is channelled to us as we care about her.

(click image to enlarge)

When I read the "spoilerish" title of the thread, I had to hurry through the final 20% or so of the story to find out what happened to her. That should be a partial answer to your question.

One reason is, I'm very succeptible to a pretty face, even a digital one, and I'm sure I'm not the only one in this fandom who feels this way. Never thought I'd see a NPC in a TR game that could compete with Lara in the looks department.

That shallow reason aside, like most in this thread have said, I cared about Sam because I did feel like I got a sense of how important she was to Lara and of the history they had together. Actually, I did end up caring quite a bit about all of Lara's crew, between cutscenes and the documents scattered around the island (like the BioShock games, they helped flesh out the characters and their backstories a lot).

If I don't survive, none of us will.
    signature image

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast