Page 2 of 2 First First 12

Thread: "Garrett is a regular guy with no superpowers." O RLY?

"Garrett is a regular guy with no superpowers." O RLY?

But Keepers use magic, Garrett doesn't. And there is no way that Trickster's third eye is a reference to Garrett's abilitities. Garrett's abilities is not magical, at least until TDS.
    "Not all shadows are cast by light, some are cast by darkness."

Originally Posted by Hamadriyad
    But Keepers use magic, Garrett doesn't. And there is no way that Trickster's third eye is a reference to Garrett's abilitities. Garrett's abilities is not magical, at least until TDS.
    He was just using the third eye as an example of how the devs would hint at certain things without making them explicity, to maintain an air of mystery.

It is not a secret that Thief universe is full of mysteries, and indeed Garrett is a mysterious character, like the City. But I will repeat, he doesn't have supernatural abilities.
    "Not all shadows are cast by light, some are cast by darkness."

Originally Posted by coolninja
    Or perhaps there is no magic. Before I get flamed just listen: If Garrett were to utilize the way that humans don't notice things unless their looking for them then magic is obsolete. Maybe the keeper compound is hidden because people don't want to see it if you can make something boring enough then it will drive the eye away rather than attracting it.
    I think the main problem with that is that there is no such thing. Yeah, you can keep some people from noticing some things about the world by making them seem mundane so that they don't stand out. No, you can't keep an entire city full of people from noticing a large building for hundred of years that way, nor can you make yourself undetectable one foot away from someone's face just by looking "boring" enough.

yet another detail you remembered about the keeper building that appeared which nobody ever noticed before ..It is also a very good example of clouding the minds of people like in that movie the shadow. I forgot about that one

None of us really claimed anything, and despite our efforts to explain the complexity and ambiguity of this question you came up with this remark...To claim that he has no powers at all is just your opinion, which is fine. But I doubt it would be so easily sustained in court because there is a lot more going on in terms of the supernatural that MIX with the worldly/practical way of things.

Garrett knows the benefits of hiding in plain sight. Mingle with a crowd and you are just part of the crowd and nobody notices you as an individual.

As a security guard in real life, I know that people find it hard to describe one individual from a crowd, even when one of them is strangely dressed. They saw a crowd of people and nothing more, it's like a senses overload. Only if you are actually looking for someone will you be able to identify particular people from the crowd but only because you were consciously looking.

It was done as a test once. A guy dressed as a Morris Man was among a crowd and hardly anyone noticed him when they were asked by those performing the test, even though he was dressed very strangely compared to all the others. I think the statistical outcome was 1 in 20 thought they saw a man dressed strangely and only 1 in 50 could actually describe him.
    A bird in the hand is... Lunch tonight.

Page 2 of 2 First First 12