Thread: did ATI's latest driver break the game?

did ATI's latest driver break the game?

did ATI's latest driver break the game?

Did the latest driver update from ATI break Just Cause 2 for anyone else or just me? I updated to Driver packaging version 9.012-121219a-152192C-ATI and catalyst 13.1 and now the game will not launch, it doesn't even make it to the screen with Rico. The screen just turns black when you hit the steam launch button or double click the exe. I hit cntrl alt delete, to bring up task manager (windows 7, 64 bit here) and Just Cause 2 immediate displays a message that it encountered a problem and needs to close.

It looks like the latest release driver update is the culprit. I updated to the latest BETA (13.2) Catalyst package and that fixed the problem.

now I feel foolish. Just Cause 2 is back to crashing after working once. I decided to uninstall the latest Windows 7 update KB2670838 which updates Direct2D and Direct3D amongst other things to see if that would fix the problem. Just Cause 2 is back to working. I started and shut the game down multiple times. It acts right. I guess the game can't handle the updates for whatever reason.

Originally Posted by TN_Wheels82
    now I feel foolish. Just Cause 2 is back to crashing after working once. I decided to uninstall the latest Windows 7 update KB2670838 which updates Direct2D and Direct3D amongst other things to see if that would fix the problem. Just Cause 2 is back to working. I started and shut the game down multiple times. It acts right. I guess the game can't handle the updates for whatever reason.
    it shouldn't be that windows 7 update even though i don't have windows 7 i have windows vista and i installed catalyst 13.1 for my radeon hd 6570 1 gig and just cause 2 runs fine (no crashes).