Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Official MEMBERS Reviews/First Impressions/Let's Play Thread

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpos...&postcount=157

Updated my review about multiplyer & did quite a few edits, might keep doing them who knows I feel satisfied with it now.

Hey guys part 11 is now up!!!
    Check it out!

Finished the game last night with 97% completion, which I estimate at about 27-30 hrs. All optional tombs raided. All GPS caches, documents, and relics collected. I went back in to finish 3 challenges, as well as get some weapon kill achievments. All I need is to find two bleedin mines on the shipwreck beach, and I have no idea where

But the crescendo was outstanding. The journey to the final battle, and of course that last fight which perfectly pays tribute to the old school Lara and those fans. Obviously tidings of the shape of Lara still to come. Oh and the epilogue music, just perfect.

Then there's the credit, I can't believe...
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by adobeARTIST View Post
    Finished the game last night with 97% completion, which I estimate at about 27-30 hrs. All optional tombs raided. All GPS caches, documents, and relics collected. I went back in to finish 3 challenges, as well as get some weapon kill achievments. All I need is to find two bleedin mines on the shipwreck beach, and I have no idea where

But the crescendo was outstanding. The journey to the final battle, and of course that last fight which perfectly pays tribute to the old school Lara and those fans. Obviously tidings of the shape of Lara still to come. Oh and the epilogue music, just perfect.

Then there's the credit, I can't believe...
    I know right?! Soooo so EPIC! I just finished the game a bit ago and it was such an amazing thrill! The end = *DROP DEAD* The credits music and then the fan sites! Marry me now!

Finished it couple of hours ago. This was one heck of a reboot you guys did, and i loved every moment of it from the music to the ambiente sound effects, and Lara's new voice is perfect!.

Cant wait to see what you guys pull off with the next one.

Part two of my LP is now up. Starting tomorrow I'm doing two uploads a day.

Full playlist link

MORE!!!

(single player that is)

* POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT *

This is not an review or first impression, but I couldnt find a topic relating to this "tuning point" thing anywhere so I saw the first impression headline and thought to write this thing here. Moderators feel free to transfer this to a more appropriate thread.

So the thing is about Laras turning point or the moment when she starts evolving to that hardened heroine we all know and love. Naturally it was a specific moment in the game what made for me the true moment of the changing of Lara. SPOILER --> The russian bastard making his move moment of course, that thing was absolutely stunning, the whole scared lara running around and finally being captive with those a**hole russians, man it got me feeling for Lara and really hoping for her survival. So after the sequence I was really relieved and happy that Lara shot that bastard, that was clearly the changing moment for the game, the first kill. And the change in Lara´s personality even esaclates later on in the game, for example the guy stuck under rubble in the bunker who asks for Lara to finish it quick, man, I really didn´t hesitate at all. I shot an arrow in his head immediatly because I felt it for Lara. The thing that surprised me was Laras comment on the kill, she actually said something like "you bastard" or something like that to the killed soldier, she was angry at him. Even a few moments later in the battle against the shielded boss when the others closed the door and left Lara alone with the boss sure of it that Lara couldn´t survive, she did and when the soldiers opened the door and to their surprise they yelled out "She´s still alive" leading to Lara killing them too and responding "Yes, I´m still alive" in a very serious and revengeful tone. I love it! I have never felt for a game character like this before. CD and the development team has done an amazing job on this game making you feel for Lara, her pain, her doubts her need for revenge.

When I have finished the game I thought of writing a review, never done that before. But why not, this game deserves it.
    signature image
    Raiding tombs with Lara since 1996!

Hello everybody! I can firmly say I love the new Tomb Raider! I haven't had so much fun with an action/adventure title since Arkham City. And I think this is one of the best compliment I could ever do to a game.

I wrote my Tomb Raider Review with a constant smile on my face. I'd like to share it with you, guys. Hope you'll enjoy!

70% for effort.

Seen a comment about new Tomb Raider before it was releases "Uncharted with breasts", and for the most part this is true. Combat seriously increased.

Graphics great and beautiful. Good game play which allows you to explore.

Needs more tombs (This is tomb raider) and better puzzles (Maybe more complex).

And mindless killing of animals for XP over the top.

Personally I think "Tomb Raider Legends" is still better.
    Surprised to find publisher listing all the web site for tomb raider in credits but did not seem to notice why "Tomb Raider Legends" was so popular (Apart from good plot and game play).
    It was the outfits and being able to play main game with other characters that I think really sold this.

^ It was Tomb Raider Legend

And I agree, maybe if Some of the important locations were actually in toms? I like the Side-Tombs but that's not the point of a game called TOMB RAIDER.

Five more pages are ready, my review is finished!

Go directly to the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurre View Post
    Five more pages are ready, my review is finished!

Go directly to the post.
    Awesome review!! Loved it!
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Lalight View Post
    Awesome review!! Loved it!
    Thanks, much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by SpringAwaken View Post
    ^ It was Tomb Raider Legend

And I agree, maybe if Some of the important locations were actually in toms? I like the Side-Tombs but that's not the point of a game called TOMB RAIDER.
    Yes but this story focused on what is probably Lara's first big discovery & how she grows throughout the game. Which is what I was expecting, I definitely prefer the progression of how green she is in this game in just about everything. Where as the next it should be more focused on her becoming veteran at exploring, raiding tombs, solving puzzles, history, traps, and fighting more against the supernatural than against humans.

At least that's how I would like to see Tomb Raider progress. Which is why I didn't mind the tombs being too short and less of the old TR games in the first game of the reboot because on this island it just made sense to have the tombs this way. They were solved more realistically and as if the scavengers of the island were protecting treasure they had found in a few of them. I wish there were some tombs however that actually had some scavengers or oni protecting the treasure with skirmishes and traps.

Do I prefer more tombs, harder, and longer like of the old? Of course but like I said I would prefer the games build up to them and not throw a bunch of crazy tombs while she's just starting out. Don't know why so many were expecting to see a veteran Lara come out of no where and start raiding insane tombs, maybe towards the end of the game sure which they are probably going to make dlc for in which my suggestion to CD would be to experiment with them heavily so we can provide feedback before the sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by VodkaSushiRoll View Post
    Yes but this story focused on what is probably Lara's first big discovery & how she grows throughout the game. Which is what I was expecting, I definitely prefer the progression of how green she is in this game in just about everything. Where as the next it should be more focused on her becoming veteran at exploring, raiding tombs, solving puzzles, history, traps, and fighting more against the supernatural than against humans.

At least that's how I would like to see Tomb Raider progress. Which is why I didn't mind the tombs being too short and less of the old TR games in the first game of the reboot because on this island it just made sense to have the tombs this way. They were solved more realistically and as if the scavengers of the island were protecting treasure they had found in a few of them. I wish there were some tombs however that actually had some scavengers or oni protecting the treasure with skirmishes and traps.

Do I prefer more tombs, harder, and longer like of the old? Of course but like I said I would prefer the games build up to them and not throw a bunch of crazy tombs while she's just starting out. Don't know why so many were expecting to see a veteran Lara come out of no where and start raiding insane tombs, maybe towards the end of the game sure which they are probably going to make dlc for in which my suggestion to CD would be to experiment with them heavily so we can provide feedback before the sequel.
    I'll add that I think there was good reason for using an ordinary island as the primary setting of the story, as it provided the ideal context for Lara's character growth and progression.

Being that Lara starts out very inexperienced and vulnerable, starting out with having her adapt just to surviving nature itself is the most appropriate first steps along her growth.

It's a lot for anybody in unfamiliar territory just to be able to protect themselves from the elements, let alone supernatural forces beyond comprehension. From there moving onto self reliance for food (hunting) and defending against natural predators keeps the progression at a natural pace building up to the confrontations with the armed and very hostile locals.

Then once having mastered surviving the ordinary, Lara is now more prepared to cope with the extraordinary and overcome what would crush anybody else just from fear alone; the tombs and even later the supernatural forces.

It's important in context to pace the level of challenges for someone without experience to overcome, escalating it gradually that only after all she's accomplished, we can believably expect her to overcome the tombs. In that sense I think it was smart separating the natural environment and all its challenges, from that of the tombs.

I do agree, the puzzles themselves within the tombs could have been more challenging, for us as the player. Sure it would be fine if the first two were simple to allow the player to familiarize themselves with the mechanics of pullies, physics, and the elements of fire, water, and wind.

But after that, please actually challenge us. Which none of the optional tombs really did. Figuring out the solution in each case was pretty much child's play. It was only a couple that provided a little more trial and error in mastering the exact timing for execution, like the one where you have to use the wind to lift the platform.
    signature image

One must walk before one can run. The island set up was perfect for a "just starting out" Lara. At this point in her life, she's not the "globe-trotting" adventurer. She's a fresh from school grad, on her first major expedition. (It almost killed it for me when it turns out she's part of a "reality show"...Gawd, I hate reality shows...but it did work for the story.) The island was a perfect place for a greenhorn like this particular aspect of Lara to learn what would soon become her trade that she will eventually ply the world over.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

Reality Show? what are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by SpringAwaken View Post
    Reality Show? what are you talking about?
    Agreed adobeARTIST, and I think the reality show part was mentioned at the start of the game. Which is why Sam was recording or Whitman was doing some fish cutting with Jonahs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martok View Post
    One must walk before one can run. The island set up was perfect for a "just starting out" Lara. At this point in her life, she's not the "globe-trotting" adventurer. She's a fresh from school grad, on her first major expedition. (It almost killed it for me when it turns out she's part of a "reality show"...Gawd, I hate reality shows...but it did work for the story.) The island was a perfect place for a greenhorn like this particular aspect of Lara to learn what would soon become her trade that she will eventually ply the world over.
    Excellent metaphor, that perfectly suits the theme of this game

And did anybody else besides me want to see more of Sam's video segments? I thought they were incredible exposition that revealed the back story of the Endurance (I still gotta read my copy of The Beginning) and gave us more insight into Lara's companions.

But even more so this was a missed opportunity to explore Lara's character of what's she was like before being so affected by her perilous experiences on Yamatai.
    signature image

So I'm really sorry about this one guys
    Check out the multiplayer action though!

PART 13!

Smile

I think TR9 is just an awesome game. Although there wasn't enough plot between Lara and crew, tomb was too easy and not enough tomb raiding for the name of the game, I assume it just because this is just the beginning of the reboot series. I am not a hard gamer, graphics, sound, combat system all works fine for me. The only thing I want to be picky about it is the story ending, in which I think ending comes too fast, and something is missing to leave an unforgettable ending scene in people's mind.

The fact that Sam didn't die, and she is totally fine even though someone else's soul was passing through in her body. That is just a Hollywood style ending, not memorable. I was expecting Lara to make a decision 1. shoot Sam (Sam didn't die but left with physical trauma by gunshot) 2. shoot Himiko but couldn't avoid part of Himiko controlling Sam before fadding away (Sam didn't die but left with emotional trauma by Himiko) 3. didn't shoot at either, everyone die by Kimiko's power. Player needs to make a decision but it will not change how story will end. Ending might come with two different voice acting but with same animation.

First, Lara kill deer to feed hunger. Second, Lara kill man to survive. Third, Lara decide to shoot/not shoot at Sam to save her from Himiko. Those experience will sharpen Lara's personality, either decision will left a scar in Lara's heart will lead her to become extremely independent and possibly, prefer to explore things on her own alone.

I understand TR9 has nothing to do with old series, but TR9 isn't really a Hollywood movie game like Uncharted (although I do see that TR9 learned a lot from Uncharted, in a good way though), and that Lara isn't like Nathan Drake, who always in trouble and somehow manage to save people and save world. I want to see new Lara evolve with a realistic personality that Lara isn't prefect. The imperfectness will lead player to associate with new Lara even more.

Quote Originally Posted by adobeARTIST View Post
    Excellent metaphor, that perfectly suits the theme of this game

And did anybody else besides me want to see more of Sam's video segments? I thought they were incredible exposition that revealed the back story of the Endurance (I still gotta read my copy of The Beginning) and gave us more insight into Lara's companions.

But even more so this was a missed opportunity to explore Lara's character of what's she was like before being so affected by her perilous experiences on Yamatai.
    Thanks, AdobeARTIST. And yes, I did enjoy the video camera sequences. Now, that said, I think perhaps the best way to handle that was to leave the two sequences we did see intact in the game, and other sequences be unlockables for us to view at our leisure.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast