Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Watchdogs

Watchdogs

Watchdogs

Seriously. Night vision, high speed, sense of smell and worst of all: panting and barking. Huge rotweiler type watchdogs could even make for a horror element. Also you could put an arrow in them without feeling sorry.

Good idea!

Let's say dogs will start in a sleep-mode. you can sneak past them. but not touch them.
    When you make some noise (or by some other event) and they wake up. You have to watch out, they can smell you, when your close enough, you can't hide in shadows from them. and when they find you they start barking to alert nearby guards.
    Hello EM!
    *akward silence*

Night vision=no go You can't do that to people... it would just be cruel. Sense of smell could lead the dogs to you if you don't dip in water or give them something better to sniff after like meat, and if they touch you with their nose they'd know you're there... no night vision.

Quadrupeds are something the Thief teams have not been able to implement before. This should be rectified by now. There would have to be lots of climbable areas and means of escape from the dogs, the owners, and other AI in the area. Occasionally, lights should come on too, in nearby buildings. There should be deer legs to toss them and make friends if we revisit the area. A noisemaker should send them off before they know you are there, but they should not stay away as the humans do.

I say no on the Night Vision also.

But yeah, tracking by scent definitely. Garrett should always leave a scent trail, but water and moss arrows should both cover his tracks.

Maybe dog's ability to track scent could be disabled by shooting a water arrow in their nose having a nose full of water is SO ANNOYING.

If we're gonna have a lot of dogs, then I'd like to see or hear puppies (angry protective mother), territorial males, and an old dog that can barely "woof!" or walk. A rabid dog would be freaky. An overly-friendly dog would be so out of place and I'll bet people will shoot it before finding out it's friendly (unless it's yapping wit excitement and then there's a problem), kinda like all the people who blackjacked or killed Raoul before realizing he's harmless and helpful.

Who's Raol?

Played Song of the Caverns in Thief Gold?

yeah I played through thief gold (remind me about song of the caverns though)

rich landed gentry preferred peacocks loose in the grounds as they make a god awful racket when roused and they don't rip the legs off visitors and children so it's safe for them to wander the grounds, plus they are nice to look at

the dogs are then brought by servants on leads and if necessary they are loosed on the trespassers once children and visitors are safe

I mentioned in another thread that Pagans could use "tethered" animals as a sort of "camera" warning system, so you could use almost any animal that makes a noise.

Ugh, I'd hate leaving a scent trail and sneaking by dogs.

Maybe I'm biased because I have a phobia of them... but still. It would be REALLY frustrating, to the point of not being fun, even.

Originally Posted by Helgeran
    Also you could put an arrow in them without feeling sorry.
    Could you?

Dogs is a great idea, great indea indeed...

if dogs were implemented, they wouldn't be able to be too realistic, otherwise you could be across the street and the dog would be able to smell you and start barking. Maybe if guards didn't investigate as soon as a dog barks, but if it keeps yapping on and off, they'd get suspicious. Like three strikes, though probably more.

the dog has no reason to smell you out when you could just be a normal person... after something has alerted the dog that you're out of place (like pulling any weapon while it sees you, or entering a place you aren't supposed to be while it sees you) then it could track you by scent. before then it shouldn't react to the player... allow the player to be the one to screw themselves over.

Who is Raoul? Go to the 3:25 mark to hear another Stephen Russell character:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkVOoxfKMBE

Man, just the sound of a dog that starts barking furiously at full volume without warning, while it presses its slobbering face against the door, the glass, the fence, is truly a shock.

THAT GUY. I knocked him out afterwords... but I let him help me first.

Originally Posted by jtr7
    Quadrupeds are something the Thief teams have not been able to implement before. This should be rectified by now.
    Convincing AI behaviour is much less to do with technology and much more to do with psychology and player's readiness to project lifelike attributes onto AI. Until Eidos release a patch for your brain, canine AI won't be as successful as human AI or creatures with human attributes.

Originally Posted by Hypevosa
    the dog has no reason to smell you out when you could just be a normal person... after something has alerted the dog that you're out of place (like pulling any weapon while it sees you, or entering a place you aren't supposed to be while it sees you) then it could track you by scent. before then it shouldn't react to the player... allow the player to be the one to screw themselves over.
    I was walking this morning and a dog in a house across the street went up to the window and started barking at me. Depending on the personality of the dog, they will bark at anything they don't recognize as part of the household they live in. That's why a couple barks from a guarddog might not make a guard suspicious, but if it's been barking for an hour then it's time to start looking around, because what's the point of having the dogs if you don't listen to them.

Originally Posted by jay pettitt
    Convincing AI behaviour is much less to do with technology and much more to do with psychology and player's readiness to project lifelike attributes onto AI. Until Eidos release a patch for your brain, canine AI won't be as successful as human AI or creatures with human attributes.
    Separate issue from the fact they couldn't MAKE the quadrupeds or articulated AI work at all and had to drop them.

Originally Posted by lefty
    I was walking this morning and a dog in a house across the street went up to the window and started barking at me. Depending on the personality of the dog, they will bark at anything they don't recognize as part of the household they live in. That's why a couple barks from a guarddog might not make a guard suspicious, but if it's been barking for an hour then it's time to start looking around, because what's the point of having the dogs if you don't listen to them.
    I'm not trying to make the dogs real... My last words summed it up, you need to let the player screw themselves over - don't make dogs react until the player does something stupid, or else you're just creating an extreme annoyance and you'll just piss people off. If the player pulls a weapon that the dog can see, or enters an area they're not supposed to be in that the dog can see/hear, then let it go berserk.

Right. The pressure is on the player to be stealthy. After learning the mission maps, a gas arrow would be the cheap way to remove the threat.

The dogs would make an intereting change in gameplay. Using food to distract them. Running away from them and have the owners get annoyed at them. Better vision in the dark but not so it is overpowered. A good sense of smell and using water to douse yourself so you dont smell as much.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last