Thread: Other Games. Playing, Getting & Tribute - All Discussion thread

Other Games. Playing, Getting & Tribute - All Discussion thread

Originally Posted by sonicsidewinder
    Never played Red Faction.

Am I a casual?
    RF Guerrilla was fairly good, though a departure for the series. RF1 did some tremendous stuff for its time. Never played RF2. Armageddon did the "destroy everything" bit pretty well and was thoroughly mediocre when it came to everything else. So these aren't really status symbol games. You're fine.
    Make a cup of tea. Enjoy a nice cheddar. Always bring a towel.

RF2 was mediocre. RF1 was and still is a great shooter. It deserved to be popular. Compare it to Half-Life, what does HL do better? Maybe level design only just, but they are both solid shooters.
    I don't get why it's not a well-known game.

The other Red Factions I haven't played except demos but they are very different games. Not the Red Faction I know.

Originally Posted by Jerion
    So these aren't really status symbol games. You're fine.
    Phew, was worried my 'rep' was in jeopardy.

Originally Posted by CyberP
    RF1 was and still is a great shooter. It deserved to be popular. Compare it to Half-Life, what does HL do better? Maybe level design only just, but they are both solid shooters.
    I don't get why it's not a well-known game.
    Maybe one day I'll give it a go.
    Play games for the story

RF is mostly impressive for it's destruction engine. It became really detailed in guerrilla where you can use a laser rifle to chop down a smoke stack like a tree and have it fall on the base your trying to destroy. That never quit gets old. Though because buildings don't respawn, your going to run out of things to blow up eventually. It also stands as one of the few open world games that let you enter every building. Often through a door you made yourself. Big flaws with it are with dull enemies weak story and well the destruction is impressive from a technical standpoint it's not as gleefully fun as it should be.

Mark of the Ninja: Special Edition looks good, Just like everything does when you are on a tight budget. I just hope the Paradox interactive catalog is up for sale soon so I can grab some of those Crusader kings 2 expansions at a more reasonable price. Then I can see about quenching my Ninja gaming needs.

EDIT: It seems that this Prey 2 news didn't make it to this fine gaming thread: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013...making-prey-2/ Nice bit of passive aggressive rage going on from RPS.
    signature image

Originally Posted by Reven
    Mark of the Ninja: Special Edition looks good, Just like everything does when you are on a tight budget.
    I don't know much about the special edition but Mark of the Ninja sure is an excellent game and therefore fully recommended!

Just read b1skit's post about jumping over on the Thief forum. SMH.

Originally Posted by 68_pie

In my opinion, they're doing it wrong. If the fanbase (and therefore, the market's) reaction was so negative towards a specific aspect, then they should fix it instead of drowning the forums in excuses and bad PR.

Well, maybe its too late to fix it.
    Visits the forum once every six months.

I don't think they can go back. Something like jump is so core to the game that you can't add or remove it without ripping things down to the studs. You know because it affects every aspect from controls to level design to AI. They would have an easier time turning the game into a top down twin stick shooter then they would adding jump.

Originally Posted by 68_pie
    Link?
    Speed up the accelerating returns, 'cause carbon doesn’t work, I want to evolve and operate at terahertz.

Originally Posted by Shralla
    Link?
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpos...&postcount=399

Oh wow.

Anybody claiming the game will somehow be ruined because you can't free jump, when there is no reason to be jumping, would have to agree that Gran Tourismo is ruined because you can't choose to pop the trunk - right?
    No, more like removing the ability to turn except on corners. That's a much more relevant comparison. Comparing free jumping to popping the trunk in a racing game, haha. I do feel bad for b1skit and the job he inherited but holy crap, at least come up with some decent material. And then to hype up the ty new dash as if that offers some kind of redemption from the fact you can't jump...
    Speed up the accelerating returns, 'cause carbon doesn’t work, I want to evolve and operate at terahertz.

And now for something positively exciting:

Later today (6 pm UK time) the alpha of Sir, You Are Being Hunted will become downloadable (not for free though) via Steam and Humble Store.

Goddamn. I really want to buy Splinter Cell Blacklist. I just fear it's going to last me 4 hours and ends in AMMURRIKKA exercising the FIFTH FREEDOM to protect America's citizens by killing everyone else. Although the Sess did say the "America yeah" was pretty toned down.

X Rebirth is looking like there's been a really big shake-up to the standard X-Game formula.
    Play games for the story

X Rebirth is looking like there's been a really big shake-up to the standard X-Game formula.
    I looks good. But I gave up on the X series once the veil of immersion fell from my eyes. In the end all I was doing was playing and economic simulator so I could buy a Battleship and dog fight the Xenon in the outer systems. It had its moments but I wanted more to it then that. If they had added the ability to take over and claim systems and allow you to rise to a position of power, with all the trapping that entails like diplomacy and intrigue it would be a much greater series I believe.
    signature image

I haven't seen the sequel, but I LOVED "Babe" when I was younger.

"A Machine for Pigs" is looking like a worthy continuation of the story.

Can't wait!
    Play games for the story

I haven't seen the sequel, but I LOVED "Babe" when I was younger.

"A Machine for Pigs" is looking like a worthy continuation of the story.

Can't wait!
    Babe 3: Pig In The Mech In The City

[EDIT] Also yes, Red Faction was excellent. It's a shame they never made any sequels for it.

Never.

Originally Posted by Vallux
    Goddamn. I really want to buy Splinter Cell Blacklist. I just fear it's going to last me 4 hours and ends in AMMURRIKKA exercising the FIFTH FREEDOM to protect America's citizens by killing everyone else. Although the Sess did say the "America yeah" was pretty toned down.
    From what I've read and from what I was told first hand by someone with an early copy, it is around 12-28 hours depending on how you play and difficulty setting. In addition, this doesn't include the co-op stuff.

Bethesda and Arkane have lied about Prey 2 so many times it's now expected.

To hell with it.

Well Ubisoft has made its first move to grab a slice of the PC gaming pie with the early access release of Might & Magic X - Legacy on steam. Shame everyone is caught up on it using the Uplay system to comment on the actual game.
    signature image

SMH@the reviews for Fashback HD. I had high hopes for the remake. All the previews were positive and now the highest I've seen is a 7.

I'm excited for XCOM: ENEMY WITHIN. It's a $40 revamp of EU ($30 for you pc guys) and will be worth every penny.

Speaking of XCOM (or not, if you are A TRUE FAN™) The Bureau is actually half decent IMO.

Originally Posted by Vallux
    Speaking of XCOM (or not, if you are A TRUE FAN™) The Bureau is actually half decent IMO.
    I had high hopes for that game. The reviews, however, aren't too positive.

Enemy within sounds rather nice. My biggest complaint about XCOM was that their wasn't enough of it, so I guess basically adding anything would make me happy. The new class sounds neat, but I bet a lot of people here won't like it because you know power armored mech suit. Also the genetics should be rather neat. A nice way to add more options to the fairly set classes. (Maybe in the next game they will do away with classes?) The new resource of meld feels a tad odd. Why are we adding a new currency? Though I see what they are doing with it.

New equipment will be fun. It will be nice to try out some new load outs. I have gotten a little too comfortable with my build order. I hope we get things like alternate ammo and new weapon classes and new armor, oh and new accessory slot items. I baiscly just want as lot of items.

Off hand I only notice one new alien. I hope for more. Though XCOM already has a good set of aliens. My one gripe I have is that they say they have only increased the number of maps by 50%. XCOM really needs more maps then that. Something like 100%-200% more maps to keep things from repeating so much. Also some new mission types would be nice and I didn't see any mention of that.

Page 430 of 499 First First ... 330380420426427428429430431432433434440480 ... Last