Page 7 of 8 First First ... 345678 Last

Thread: New Eyefinity In-Game Footage (8th November)

New Eyefinity In-Game Footage (8th November)

  1. Originally Posted by Pinky_Powers
    It's wildly absurd to claim third-person is a marketing decision when the biggest selling games on the market have been first-person only for years and years now. On something as important as perspective, if they were led by the scent of big bucks, they'd stick to the big buck demographic of Call of Duty or Halo.
    Absolutely every game that deviates from the structure of those two franchises, even in little ways, is thinking creatively, not fiscally.

    The only explanation that holds any water on the third-person debate, is that EM honestly felt it was a sound creative decision. ...why? God only knows.
    All I can say is WOW.

    My emphasis was on pretty much everything except the hybrid perspective, particularly concerning the good graphics and lotsa purdy splosions.

    Games with good graphics and/or lotsa purdy splosions typically sell very well.

    Some recent and fairly recent examples :

    - Mass Effect 2
    - Mafia 2
    - Halo: Reach
    - Call of Duty: Black Ops
    Unprofessional: Never calling back David Bateson AFTER you told him he got the part.

  2. #152
    I don't see why Deus Ex can't have good graphics and explosions.

  3. Originally Posted by OwlSolar
    I don't see why Deus Ex can't have good graphics and explosions.
    I'm not saying it couldn't or shouldn't.

    I'm just saying that games with good graphics and lotsa purdy splosions tend to sell very well, and marketing types like those at EM know this.
    Unprofessional: Never calling back David Bateson AFTER you told him he got the part.

  4. #154
    Originally Posted by Deus_Ex_Machina
    I'm just saying that games with good graphics and lotsa purdy splosions tend to sell very well, and marketing types like those at EM know this.
    Well, sure. There's a wealth of evidence that people like high octane moments in their books, movies and games. And there's a wealth of reasons to put them in your product; bringing in the crowds is certainly one of them.
    signature image

  5. #155
    I'm pretty sure that ammo counter is a weapon mod, It wasn't on the assault rifle or pistol in the one demo and an ammo counter for one of those weapons would clearly be more important than one for a revolver. It might be because the hud wasn't displayed in that demo but it just seems logical to make that a mod instead of required equipment. If not i'd be pretty upset, I don't mind it and would probably mod my weapons with it but it's just the fact I can choose which matters. I hate when developers force things which should be and easily can be optional and are obviously things not everyone will like. As for the hud I don't think it's horrible but it is too spread out in my opinion, they should put alot of those hud elements together in a corner to save space and the view. They just seem to get in the way all spread out like that. Also they really should allow the option to change the color like in the other ones, the whole gold and black look is cool but it's not the only cool color scheme out there. And what is that crap that pops up every time adam kills someone? that to me seems really annoying.
    "So I guess we both keep on dreamin, huh?! Metal head?!"

  6. #156
    The other demos were earlier builds.

  7. #157
    I just want to read what comes up in the middle of the screen every time you kill someone, what is that?
    "So I guess we both keep on dreamin, huh?! Metal head?!"

  8. #158
    If I had to guess, it probably has to do with experience points.

  9. #159
    Awful hud mechanic, an annoying pop-up, like the paper clip in Microsoft office.

  10. #160
    I hope not =\ that seems really obnoxious and un deus ex to the extreme. There seems to be alot of info every time it shows, atleast don't put it in the middle of the screen like that. Like I said all of these things CAN be and should be optional, I just don't get it.
    "So I guess we both keep on dreamin, huh?! Metal head?!"

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,198
    Originally Posted by OwlSolar
    If I had to guess, it probably has to do with experience points.
    Did I miss that? Is there really a popup that says "___ xp" when you shoot someone?

  12. #162
    You can't tell with the video quality, but in the film there is something that pops up blatantly on the screen every time a kill was made. I don't know what else is could be but I don't care what it is, either way it looks really distracting and clutters the screen even more so than the spread out hud.
    "So I guess we both keep on dreamin, huh?! Metal head?!"

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,198
    Originally Posted by anunnaki
    you can't tell with the video quality, but in the film there is something that pops up blatantly on the screen every time a kill was made. I don't know what else is could be but i don't care what it is, either way it looks really distracting and clutters the screen even more so than the spread out hud.

  14. #164
    *pats on the shoulder* I know man, I know. The fear of waiting years for nothing is on the minds of many. WE NEVER ASKED FOR THIS!
    "So I guess we both keep on dreamin, huh?! Metal head?!"

  15. #165
    Originally Posted by WildcatPhoenix
    Did I miss that? Is there really a popup that says "___ xp" when you shoot someone?
    After each kill there's an icon and a list beneath. Sometimes there's only two items beneath, sometimes three.

    The variation suggests to me its not a score. My theory is it's an Aug that tells you what that character was holding at the time of his death. But that's just a guess.
    signature image

  16. #166
    That's a good theory, and I hope your right. I don't know what would be worse, seeing that every time I kill someone or hearing that stupid X box sound, which i'm sure I will. I wish I had a better PC simply so I can play this on it, but i'm even iffy about pre-ordering the game. The inventory looks nice, but I was hoping to finally see a mid-combat take down.
    "So I guess we both keep on dreamin, huh?! Metal head?!"

  17. #167
    Originally Posted by Rindill the Red
    I think they could be much more inventive with the radar.

    There are lots of possibilities to use the radar as an immersive aid.

    Here are my suggestions:
    1. Make it an augmentation.
    2. Like with the Gunther suggestion, make it be "satellite imagery", that, instead of a "radar", actually displays a map that looks like an overhead view of the area you are in and let the red dots become little heat signatures picked up, this would keep this gameplay element firmly routed in the fictional world.
    3. Perhaps the satellite aug won't work in certain areas (specific interiors, anything underground).
    4. Perhaps the satellite aug can come with some sort of extra firepower as an upgrade (emp burst, enemy marking, etc.)
    5. Perhaps besides picking up heat signatures, it could also be switched to pick up electrical activity (to see robots or electrical wiring)
    6. Besides picking up markers for npc's it could also pick up stuff like pipes or wiring, which might give the player hints about possible paths he can take.

    Besides a satellite uplink aug, there could also be a "heart-beat sensor" aug that allows you to pick up heartbeats (better watch out for robots), but only works in a certain forward arc in front of you.
    You know this is the mindset the developers should have but the more I see in new game play footage the more I become convinced that they just don't give a crap. Health regen was opposed the very first second it was revealed, they left it in. Third person has also been widely discussed as obstructive yet they left that in too.
    People complained about a lot of the game aspects apparently being dummied down and they ignored it. Makes me wonder why people even feel the need to keep posting stuff like this. Guess a lot of people here still hope somewhere deep down inside that for a change someone will listen.

  18. #168
    Half Life 2 had info on crosshair. You could enable "show quick info on crosshair" and then you had one bar at each side of crosshair with health and ammo respectively, which faded away when not needed. I found it quite useful and played with it turned on. This is subtle in my book. They removed it in episodes though.

    Dr. Loboto: The bad news is, we're going to have to remove your brain...
    the good news is that your insurance should cover the whole thing.

  19. #169
    Originally Posted by MrFoxter
    Half Life 2 had info on crosshair. You could enable "show quick info on crosshair" and then you had one bar at each side of crosshair with health and ammo respectively, which faded away when not needed. I found it quite useful and played with it turned on. This is subtle in my book. They removed it in episodes though.

    I'd completely forgotten about that, but you're right, that worked well - because it was very subtle, and very small. Something like that would be fine IMO.

  20. #170
    Originally Posted by Ashpolt
    I'd completely forgotten about that, but you're right, that worked well - because it was very subtle, and very small. Something like that would be fine IMO.
    Half Life 2's HUD was overall quite simple and subtle. However, there was no need for more complex one since game mechanics were not complex neither. I think that there will be at least few augs that will require to be implemented in HUD, so some complexity in HUD is needed, but that should not prevent EM to keep the thing clean and subtle as it was seen for example in HL2.

    Talking about HUD in DX:HR, I imagined one without sharp edges, mostly semi-transparent, without much text, very simplistic and ambient-styled, while containing all needed info.
    Dr. Loboto: The bad news is, we're going to have to remove your brain...
    the good news is that your insurance should cover the whole thing.

  21. #171
    I really hope they allow some HUD options, The ability to choose its transparency and color was an option before so why take that away? If there were in-fact brain augs which could give people these things surely they would allow the option, plus i'm already tired of gold and black.
    "So I guess we both keep on dreamin, huh?! Metal head?!"

  22. #172
    Originally Posted by anunnaki
    I really hope they allow some HUD options, The ability to choose its transparency and color was an option before so why take that away? If there were in-fact brain augs which could give people these things surely they would allow the option, plus i'm already tired of gold and black.
    I think that custom colors would make game look ugly, but if EM give us three or four predefined HUD schemes (not just colors, I mean whole layout + color), I'll be happy.
    Dr. Loboto: The bad news is, we're going to have to remove your brain...
    the good news is that your insurance should cover the whole thing.

  23. #173
    Originally Posted by MrFoxter
    Half Life 2 had info on crosshair. You could enable "show quick info on crosshair" and then you had one bar at each side of crosshair with health and ammo respectively, which faded away when not needed. I found it quite useful and played with it turned on. This is subtle in my book. They removed it in episodes though.


    I brought this up earlier, and no one really noticed it, but berated me for my unpopular opinion on the rest of the HUD.

    But I loved the quick info, and in fact can't play without it. Without it on, the default five white pixels used for a crosshair are next to impossible to see on any decent sized resolution especially in bright light.

    And you're wrong in the point, that VALVe removed the quick info in the HL2 Episodes. It was still there under the Options under the mouse tab. However VALVe for some reason removed the option to turn them on or off through the mouse tab through an update this year (that was highly bugged and broke parts of the games.)

    But to work around that you type into the console:

    "hud_quickinfo 1"

  24. #174
    Hm, this Dead Space HUD approach for ammo is quite good, but it needs some serious tweaking.

    That being said, I loved all of the Dead Space's UI (inventory, map, shop, logs, etc...), wonderfully executed. Unobtrusive and immersive. It could easily be placed in Deus Ex and explained by augs.

    And yeah, to all people who claimed EM didn't copy this one from another game and tried to innovate, well... They did copy. From Dead Space

    Oh and did I forget to mention Dead Space? Yeah... Dead Space.

    Merge 1st person view of Far Cry 2 with Dead Space UI and you get the perfect immersive simulator ever made.
    DXHR: 11/10 GOTY EVERY YEAR ALL YEARS. USA CANADA IS DOMINATE!
    THIS SIGNATURE COULD HAVE BEEN HIGHLIGHTED FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE.

  25. #175
    Red, you point at Dead Space - the game that took all the ideas from other games and executed those to almost perfection

Page 7 of 8 First First ... 345678 Last