Thread: PS3 Version - Control Issue

Post PS3 Version - Control Issue

I downloaded the PS3 version and noticed straight away that there is a problem with the controls.
    What do the following PS3 games have in common: Uncharted Series, Killzone 2, Modern Warfare Series, MGS 4, Little Big Planet & all the rest??? The answer is that the R1 button is used to shoot on the PS3.

For some reason LCGol uses R2 & does not allow you to change it (360 control mapping is not great on a PS3 pad). It feels rather wrong as not many PS3 games are released with this configuration. One recent big game that did was Red Dead Redemption & a few weeks ago they patched in an option to flip the controls as there were so many complaints (see grab below).

More important things in life to worry about, but I just wanted to inform before the official PS3 release date.
    However, it does look like some people prefer R2 & some do not care, but there are also a lot of people that dislike it (including me). People could get used to it, but you wouldn't want to release a new car with the brake & gas pedals swapped

All in all, configurable controls on all platforms for the win

"Aha!" - Lara Croft (1996).........."Arrrghhhh!" (2016)
    signature image

That was a problem for me when switching back and forth between Resident Evil 5 and Borderlands, lol. I think even the Tomb Raider games switched along the way, didn't they? I can't confirm because I don't own a PS2 nor a BC enabled PS3.

I personally don't really mind, but I would have liked the option to customize controls indeed. It's nearly impossible to jump while shooting in LCGOL, although all the cool flips are there. Since Lara doesn't use L1, it could easily be remapped to jump (Mirror's Edge style).

The controls are very easy to get used to and intuitive, just because they are not the same as some popular shooters does not make the controls a problem. None of the other games mentioned have an isometric view either. All the games mentioned but Little Big Planet are shooters, GOL is not really a shooter. In LBP R1 is used for grab, you shoot nothing in the game. You do not use R1 to shoot in any Tomb Raider game, so why should you in a Lara Croft game? All three Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider games use R2 for shooting, same as GOL does.

People could get used to it, but you wouldn't want to release a new car with the brake & gas pedals swapped
    Absolutely right, so they should stick to having R2 for shooting.
    Emma Watson would make a great Lara, and a British actress should play a British icon!

Quote Originally Posted by aussie500 View Post
    All the games mentioned but Little Big Planet are shooters, GOL is not really a shooter. In LBP R1 is used for grab, you shoot nothing in the game.
    I would consider LCGoL a huge shooter...A humongous twin stick shooter.
    In LBP you use R1 to fire & I would not have mentioned it if it were not a fact. I wanted to point out that all types of games & not just the FPS genre use R1. Maybe you haven't tried the Paintinator yet (Paint Of The Patriots).

Fair enough point about previous TR games on the PS3 though. I have bought the TR games from CD on 360 & have since moved my preference to the PS3. I do not expect CD to modify it at all, but here is a great quote from a company that is all about the details (Tim Willits, lead designer and co-owner of id Software talking about 'Rage'):

The controls are simple and based on the Call of Duty standard we all know and love. "If 20 million people learn where jump is, don't screw it up," explains Willits.
    signature image

Well actually I never find it that much of a struggle to jump between R1 for shoot and R2 for shoot. Unless I do and don't take much notice... I have no idea!

But it'd be a great thing to have an option for those who aren't keen on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ants_27_ View Post
    Well actually I never find it that much of a struggle to jump between R1 for shoot and R2 for shoot. Unless I do and don't take much notice... I have no idea!

But it'd be a great thing to have an option for those who aren't keen on it!
    Indeed! many people probably don't care either way, but it is enough of an annoyance to stop me buying it on PS3.
    signature image

I'm having enormous difficulty getting used to the fact that when you're rolling a ball, the WASD keys no longer apply as they normally would. It now depends on what direction you're facing, so the keys change the direction of the ball. Very confusing

Rolling a ball!

It's a tad bit too difficult. I can do it, but I'm always running around crazy weird for the first five seconds.
    signature image

After seeing the launch problems with the PS3 version, trophies, etc, I think that my gripe about the controls is the last thing for them to worry about. The fact that nobody from Eidos have even acknowledged the problems is a bit worrying.

However, as a fan since the launch of TR1, I have decided to go & purchase the 360 version, to support the cause. I have been holding off as I wanted to buy the PS3 version (my console of choice) and play with an online buddy (the way the game was designed to be played). I will buy the 360 version as a single player game. To be honest, I can't see myself playing through it multiple times. You cannot reproduce your first playthrough. After all those months & months of hype, I never thought that I would be playing this new Tomb Raider coop experience on my onesies...LOL!

Let's just hope, that the creators can put the LCGoL launch debacle in the past, slap the right person or people on the wrist & get to work on the next TR!
    signature image

Well, I did my part, dusted off the old 360 & purchased LCGoL tonight

Whilst on the Xbox Marketplace, I was suprised to see that the wrong information is still displayed. Not suprised that some folks are annoyed. Check it out:

signature image

What Issues? I played it co-op and single player, and have yet to find faults with it, dare I say it I actually prefer it since I don't have to worry about the camera. With the R3-R2 combination, I'm allowed to make minced meat out of my foes. R1 is for grapple, which after awhile in co-op or single player kinda makes sense. The only reason one would have qualms with the configuration is PS3's annoying streamline of the sixaxis controller which means the R2 button dangles out of the bottom without a shoulder guard. I suppose with this configuration one can't jump and fire at the same time, because while holding the R3 stick we can't press square or x, but it doesn't take away from GOL's gameplay much. Wouldn't want to be a PC gamer though, as they always had configuration and controller issues. sorry
    signature image