Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: still not ready

still not ready

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light was released to great reviews last month on Xbox Live Arcade (XBLA). A new sort of adventure for Lara that focused on cooperative play, it was originally supposed to include online co-op at launch. But shortly before release, developer Crystal Dynamics announced online co-op was being held until the arrival of the PlayStation Network (PSN) version on September 28. Local co-op was still included (and still a lot of fun), but we would have to wait to play with Lara online.

Today Crystal Dynamics revealed to IGN that the XBLA title update to add online co-op is still scheduled for the end of this month -- but it's being held back from the PSN version. This feature is still coming for Lara Croft on PSN, but Crystal Dynamics wants to take more time to make sure the mode is as good as possible. PlayStation 3 owners can, of course, still play with a friend locally.

"We're committed to delivering the very best gameplay experience possible and the fact that this is the highest rated Lara Croft game since the original Tomb Raider was released back in 1996 is a testament to this," said Darrell Gallagher, General Manager of Crystal Dynamics.

Expect the Lara Croft XBLA title update on or around September 28. No word on when we can expect it on PSN. Later this year, downloadable content will be made available that continues Lara's campaign.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/112/1122302p1.html

Question

The drama continues...

Not sure why CD/Square/Eidos keep failing in their planning, but it´s causing a lot of confusion and disappointment that is unfortunately overshadowing this superb game.
    signature image

Well if that's the case I'm not going to bother buying until the update is out and about for all platforms... providing I read that right?

Besides I if I decided to pick up Dead Rising 2 that'll be taking up my time for a few months I hope! At least with that I can play online co-op with my mate on release. Especially given the fact he doesn't live all that close by, rendering local co-op (for me) an inconvenience.

Companies get criticized for releasing games too early, too late, with too many patches, etc etc. No perfect release exists.

I hope us PS3 users will at least get the same treatment as the Xbox 360 users, ie, a free DLC to decisive purchasers?

Quote Originally Posted by Katie_Tomb_Raider View Post
    Companies get criticized for releasing games too early, too late, with too many patches, etc etc. No perfect release exists.
    Absolutely.

hmm..not surprised actually.

Hmmmm, perhaps they should have held it back on all platforms until it was finished. Relying on a post-release patch to fix a bug is one thing, but relying on a post-release patch to complete a game is just wrong. This crazy staggered approach to the launch does not help the PR aspect. It looks like interest is cooling off before it has even launched on PS3 & PC. There was the hype before the 360 release, but now???

The fact that these TR forums are so quiet these days also doesn't bode well
    "Aha!" - Lara Croft (1996).........."Arrrghhhh!" (2016)
    signature image

consider they released the game for the pc version on 21 instead of 28 but most people can't even install it tells me that the game is just unfinished again..wtf is wrong with cd and their unfinished games anyway? im starting to lose interest

Quote Originally Posted by TF.Denis View Post
    consider they released the game for the pc version on 21 instead of 28 but most people can't even install it tells me that the game is just unfinished again..wtf is wrong with cd and their unfinished games anyway? im starting to lose interest
    Most people who got the codes from GameSpot were able to download and install the full game, including myself. I don't know about the PS3 people.
    It might be something wrong with steam but definitely not with CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    Hmmmm, perhaps they should have held it back on all platforms until it was finished. Relying on a post-release patch to fix a bug is one thing, but relying on a post-release patch to complete a game is just wrong. This crazy staggered approach to the launch does not help the PR aspect. It looks like interest is cooling off before it has even launched on PS3 & PC. There was the hype before the 360 release, but now???

The fact that these TR forums are so quiet these days also doesn't bode well
    It is a bit ridiculous when a company has to patch a game in order for the owner to get the full thing that they paid for in the first place. The same reason I'm not buying it cause I have another game out on the same day I want and is one of the reasons I plan on buying TR9 when its in the pre-owned section and not brand new.

My response may seem a bit childish but at the end of the day I was buying the game to play co-op with my mate who isn't 'next-door' and if I'm paying for it (or others) then they should be entitled to all the features advertised on release... if its not working, push the release back.

PC players will have no online co-op on 28th Sept

http://kotaku.com/5644222/lara-croft...r-than-planned

Hi. On behalf of Crystal we're sorry the online co-op isn't available from day one. Obviously this isn't ideal. Tons of work has been going on behind the scenes. The key thing is we want the online co-op to be as good as possible, so we're not going to release it until it's ready. Thanks very much for your patience, everyone. In the meantime you can play local co-op which is tons of fun. I'll keep you all updated with the progress on this front and the update will of course be free.
    "......It reminds me of Beethoven..... can you hear it?"

Quote Originally Posted by Keir View Post
    Hi.The key thing is we want the online co-op to be as good as possible, so we're not going to release it until it's ready.
    Same old excuse

Hi. On behalf of Crystal we're sorry the online co-op isn't available from day one. Obviously this isn't ideal. Tons of work has been going on behind the scenes. The key thing is we want the online co-op to be as good as possible, so we're not going to release it until it's ready. Thanks very much for your patience, everyone. In the meantime you can play local co-op which is tons of fun. I'll keep you all updated with the progress on this front and the update will of course be free.
    Take your time. A rushed game is a bad game.

its a secret plan to unleash TR:9 in the downloadable patch and surprise us all with it , just you wait
    "Die Potato" "Not today!"
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by chriss99 View Post
    Indeed, the original launch period with all the hype & reviews to get it rushed into 'Summer Of Arcade' was ages ago. They now have all the time in the world to finish it off. I do feel sorry for the guys & girls that put the game together, some of which are probably not happy about how is was launched.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by bedazzled View Post
    Same old excuse
    Yeah, you're right. It was the same excuse with Batman: Arkham Asylum too. I remember taking a load of stick for that at the time of the delay, once everyone got their hands on it they all forgot. Still, I don't mind, as long as people are happy with a quality game to play in the end that's all that counts

Thanks for your patience

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    Indeed, the original launch period with all the hype & reviews to get it rushed into 'Summer Of Arcade' was ages ago. They now have all the time in the world to finish it off. I do feel sorry for the guys & girls that put the game together, some of which are probably not happy about how is was launched.
    There were complications

I can't talk about them, but I kind of wish I could as then there would be more understanding. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by bedazzled View Post
    Same old excuse
    Then you should be used to it.

It's either they take too long (because they want it polished) or they didn't take long enough (and everyone has bugs and then complains about how the 360 got treated better).

I'd be smiling behind my laptop right now if I were a PS3 player, since it's apparent they wish to spend a little more time with it and make sure it's right.

the only thing i can think of is that the ps3 version had some extra bugs on top of the XBLA version because the XBLA version was well polished and a very fun game.

the only glitch i can think of is the part where i die...that doesn't usually happen
    "Die Potato" "Not today!"
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by chriss99 View Post
    I second this!!!
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Danielsun View Post
    the only thing i can think of is that the ps3 version had some extra bugs on top of the XBLA version because the XBLA version was well polished and a very fun game.

the only glitch i can think of is the part where i die...that doesn't usually happen
    not ps3's problem that they don't work better on the game

Don't blame the guys and gals making our games for the business decisions being made. I love CD and I know their hearts are in Tomb Raider as much as ours. Let's give them our support eh. They're making the best of a bad situation. What CD and Tomb Raider need are new owners.

Yeah, you're right. It was the same excuse with Batman: Arkham Asylum too. I remember taking a load of stick for that at the time of the delay, once everyone got their hands on it they all forgot. Still, I don't mind, as long as people are happy with a quality game to play in the end that's all that counts

Thanks for your patience

The decision to delay Batman: Arkham Asylum was a brave & great move as the released product was polished & just fantastic!!! Maybe it was too good a move as it looks like it certainly woke up WB. It is a shame that LCGoL did not get the same treatment. I hope releasing it unfinished and having such a big gap between the 360 & PS3+PC launch dates does not dramatically reduce the titles potential sales for you. It would be a shame as it received such great reviews all that time ago. People need to learn about the phrase, strike when the iron is hot
    signature image

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast