Thread: Level 1 Fire Trap Reward Challenge

Level 1 Fire Trap Reward Challenge

Hi. Does anyone have tips on beating the fire trap reward challenge in Level 1: Temple of Light? I have no problem disabling Xolotl's fire trap but can't seem to do it in under 30 seconds in order to beat the challenge. (This is in single-player mode.)
    Tomb Raider Help & Walkthroughs at tombraiders.net

The idea is to roll (X) all the time to be faster.

Push the ball on the first plate and go pull the lever. Then when the trap explodes first and starts going backwards, go straight for the ball : you have time to pull/push it on the next plate before the fire reaches it (although if you're half a sec too late, Lara will die immediately).

Then roll all the way back around the trap and pull the second lever.

It's a hard one IMO.
    Adventure found me...

Thanks, Clara. I suspected that was it. So far I haven't been able to move the ball onto the second plate fast enough--only by pushing it the long way around have I been able to avoid the flame jet. I'll try again later.

I failed that one too. It´s really early in the game and I wasn´t that used to the controls as I am now. I thought I was fast, lol.

But I will try again later, that is one of the reasons this game is so awesome. You just want to play it again and again to explore every part of the level and complete all tasks.
    signature image

I totally agree, L2R. I'm just trying to crank through the game the first time and get all the major points and pick-ups covered for my walkthrough. Then I'll go back and mop up. I'm a completist too.

I made a video of it if needed. The text is in French, but I believe the most important is the image
    Adventure found me...

Quote Originally Posted by Clara View Post
    I made a video of it if needed. The text is in French, but I believe the most important is the image
    Excellent! Would it be OK if I included this in my walkthrough? I've already credited you for the technique, but this is even better.

And may I ask what setup you use to record your Xbox gameplay? I have a Dazzle recorder and a fairly powerful laptop, but my videos look pretty bad compared to yours. I think I need HD cables or something. Mostly I play the PC games and record from them, but at this point that's not an option.

Thanks Clara!
    signature image

Of course, use it all you want

Quote Originally Posted by stellalune View Post
    And may I ask what setup you use to record your Xbox gameplay?
    Sure, I use a Hauppage HD PVR. Let me PM you the details.
    Adventure found me...

I used a remote bomb to blow away the boulder to the general direction of the 2nd pressure plate so lara spends less time to pull the ball towards it. Hope that helps?

I did during my speed run of the level.

I had all speed power ups including a full relic meter meaning I could use the relic speed power up that I had.

Quote Originally Posted by GeckoKid View Post
    I used a remote bomb to blow away the boulder to the general direction of the 2nd pressure plate so lara spends less time to pull the ball towards it. Hope that helps?
    I tried this when I replayed the level and it worked like a charm. Thanks, GeckoKid!

Just completed using a grenade behind the ball after placeing it on the first plate. Pull the handel on the fire trap and detinate the grenade. The ball landed just by the second plate making the whole thing much easyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockwood27 View Post
    Just completed using a grenade behind the ball after placeing it on the first plate. Pull the handel on the fire trap and detinate the grenade. The ball landed just by the second plate making the whole thing much easyer.
    Thanks for the idea, but I think this is what GeckoKid was suggesting. It certainly does work well.

Not sure that kind of agility is possible on a PC keyboard. I'm just going to have to get a controller

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeMaciver View Post
    Not sure that kind of agility is possible on a PC keyboard. I'm just going to have to get a controller
    It's hard but not impossible. I used grenade launcher to help me with the ball.

This challenge is extremely easy if you have a friend help you My friend and I did the offline co-op and got this on the first try.

If not though, I would imagine that using a remote bomb to blow the boulder around a bit would help tremendously.
    PSN: Nemesis296
    XBL/GFWL: HyperN3mesis

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeMaciver View Post
    Hey, George. Great to see you. I enjoyed your Guardian of Light overview w/ screenshots. Very nice.

I'm sure other people will have various recommendations, but I use an Xbox 360 controller for Windows and it works great. I also have an Xbox so it's nice to be able to swap the controllers around. The same ones work in both the console and Windows PC.

Hi Stella, it's great to see you too. Thanks for that bit of info about the Xbox 360 controller. I've been using a Sidewinder for Level Editor stuff but I'm afraid that thing doesn't cut it with the modern games. I'll stick an Xbox 360 controller on my list

The use of grenade was wrong it should have been bomb.

Sorry try this.