Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: i don't like the camera angle

it is what it looks like.
    Lame Camera and Guardian of dLcLESS is just a minigame with 2d perspective.

Period

Quote Originally Posted by demin View Post
    it is what it looks like.
    Lame Camera and Guardian of dLcLESS is just a minigame with 2d perspective.

Period
    Well if they plan to use another Third Person Perspective then I'd want them to do it right for once... Instead of fighting with the camera and taking away from the experience they are trying to build. I mean there's never really been a TR that I've thought 'I like the camera!' Except until now that is.

GTA used to have top-down view and still does in China Town Wars and they aren't crap games. Nor do I ever play them and say this "sucks I want to pan the camera".

GTA is a crappy game. U cant run and shoot. . . so pathetic for an action game... btw, gta come from rockstar... developer who trashed max payne potential, rumor say that they cooking part 3. its gonna be some position hold&shoot... xD

yeah brainless argument ;d

Quote Originally Posted by demin View Post
    GTA is a crappy game. U cant run and shoot. . . so pathetic for an action game... btw, gta come from rockstar... developer who trashed max payne potential, rumor say that they cooking part 3. its gonna be some position hold&shoot... xD

yeah brainless argument ;d
    Its not a brainless argument at all.

You can't run and shoot in Resident Evil, that a crap game too? Least the cameras works and are done to a higher polish than Crystal Dynamics (the developer that apparently 'wrecked' the TR series) bother to do. My opinion. You can walk and shoot in GTA, just like you do in TR (well CD's at least).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvE2cucNha0

But going back on subject, God of war has a camera that you can not pan, never want that to change either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMxD5nmnCGk

u know, that if they came up with god of war camera style there wouldbe lower hate level. (game to pc wouldbe just a port, but still good piece of fun)
    About walking and shooting in gta, yay they add it, when they add some depth to the story I enjoy it.

anyway silent hill by far >> resident evil.
    And i dont played in re4 bc i refuse to aim on pad. (hi tech pc mice, and I am kind of pr0 in fps). stand and aiming is passe ;d

Demin seriously...

To begin with the game isn't really a isometric projection to begin with by the words definitions and rather just your typical 3d with but with a fixed perspective.
    It is made by the same typical texture filled triangels like any other 3d games you play ... same friggin rendering techs(and engine) and projection.

Then what i find stupid is that people are trying to decide what is 3d and what is 2d... when obviously anything displayed on a 2d space is 2d or pseudo-3d if it tries to show depth.

Ok so the designers don't deserve death like someone said, but I do think this is a HUGE disappointment. I saw there was a new Lara game promoted and I got all excited and then it's THIS. It's just a retro looking thing with one of our favorite characters in it. I understand all the argument that it's good to have multiplayer and the game must be smaller to allow for that horrible camera angle..............blah blah blah. I am still here without a new real Tomb Raider adventure to try, and I'll hate it if I want to. No one seems to be asking the real question I want to know which is this:

The heck with this Guardian of Light crap, when and how much longer til we get a new REAL Lara Croft game to play? Maybe this was just a small snack to make it easier to wait for the real thing. ..........I hope.

NO MORE of these retro things please. I have an xbox for a reason. I like true xbox games, in fact, I LOVE them.

One more thing, I wanted to say if they wanted to add multiplayer for xbox live, why couldn't they just do like Ghostbusters? That is a great game except for a few glitches and has an awesome live multiplayer that is just limited to about 12 of the venues with a four player adventure. You play as a team and you can still have a decent camera view. That way they wouldn't have to shrink everyone to the size of ants to accomodate the airplane camera view. It doesn't feel like a true xbox experience when they make these arcade type games. Save those for phone games, not my xbox please.

It is...

Crofty, you're right that it is a snack cuz it's an arcade game! If it wasn't an arcade game then u wouldn't be here saying "The bloomin' camera angle's crap!" when it's a snack so that we're not bored until Xmas 2011 (or somethin' like that) for the next TR! And plus cuz it's a arcade game the camera isn't usually 3 person. (Well, i've barely played recent arcade games apart from dis..) What's wrong with the angle guys?

Regards,
    YoshiMad08

Click here to email me!
    What? Do you expect me to have a good signiture?

The camera angle isn't engaging and doesn't allow you to become immersed in the game. It's an arcade and I sure hope the mainstream Tomb Raider's don't go this route. Tomb Raider is about being immersed. Sure, make a new game, but nicking Lara to promote it kinda sucks lol

The camera angle is really bad! I didn't like it at all!

Red Face (Embarrassed) OK, I get it...

OK, i have noticed that the camera isn't engaging as other TRs, but i have been playing TR since i was about 2. (if my maths is correct) None of the other 1s have dis camera angle and i must admit, it takes quite a bit of getting used to. It's not to everyones liking, which i just bumped into. And just so u know, i'm not trying to make a 999 gazillion against 1 mob, or make a small potato any bigger. So on that note, i think i'd better leave.

Regards,
    YoshiMad08

Click here to email me!
    What? Do you expect me to have a good signiture?

this is not TOMB RAIDER this is an arcade game, TR still have the TP camera God.... if u don't like LC don't play it.... you xbox players need to be happy you all get the DLC for free and the online mode... and we ps3 players need to wait and see if CD wants to give us a free DLC... sorry for my english

The camera is not that bad. If you are willing to be open to other kinds of games, it's fine. But if you want the same stuff and only play TP games, you won't like it.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by crofty View Post
    Ok so the designers don't deserve death like someone said, but I do think this is a HUGE disappointment. I saw there was a new Lara game promoted and I got all excited and then it's THIS. It's just a retro looking thing with one of our favorite characters in it. I understand all the argument that it's good to have multiplayer and the game must be smaller to allow for that horrible camera angle..............blah blah blah. I am still here without a new real Tomb Raider adventure to try, and I'll hate it if I want to. No one seems to be asking the real question I want to know which is this:

The heck with this Guardian of Light crap, when and how much longer til we get a new REAL Lara Croft game to play? Maybe this was just a small snack to make it easier to wait for the real thing. ..........I hope.

NO MORE of these retro things please. I have an xbox for a reason. I like true xbox games, in fact, I LOVE them.
    I totally agree...it just feels like the old school TR players have been betrayed somehow!

What was wrong with the winning formula of having a 3rd person shooter/adventure game? I say don't mess with a winning formula...the TR as a whole has gained in popularity over the years (ok, Angel of Darkness was a failure but at least they redeemed themselves with Legend) so why change what the players have grown to love and look forward to?

The theory of consumer psychology applies here: its easier to retain current customers than it is to attract new ones...and this effort of attracting different gamers to play this new TR is costing the designers and company the loyalty of the current fans of the TR series!

ok guys..its not tr and its not a full packaged game..its just a side adventure with lara in it..nothing like a main game! so read something before u type..the camera is ok for me..not a big deal neither like it or hate it..u will see that the next tomb raider will be awesome and the camera as we loved it..nothing like tru because now it's SE who has the upper hand not eidos!
    Denis: There is something I don't entirely trust about this guy..
    John: Just because he just killed a girl in front of us..?

As many before have posted...the camera is exactly like Bauldar's Gate which was an RPG/RTS game. This kind of game is a 3D scroller...immersion is impossible because the very nature of the camera establishes that the player is outside of the Tomb Raider world and is just controlling the action instead of being a part of it.

It's also very evident that the game was developed for console controllers which have an 8 pointed directional controller. If the PC keyboard settings allowed 8 keys i.e. the number pad to control movement then it would have worked OK. But, with only 4 keys it's nearly impossible to perform the necessary actions. For example the first challenge in the Demo of jumping across the tops of the barrels is extremely hard with a keyboard which only has up, down, left, and right...it's very difficult to press both up and left at the same time so that Lara goes exactly between...there needed to be an additional 4 keys for the corner directions.

Movement controls which provide emmersiveness and 100% instinctive movement is where the player can see what the character sees and moves in relationship to the character the player is controlling:
    Press Left and the character moves to the character's left.
    Press Right and the character moves to the character's right.
    Press Forward and the character moves in the direction the character is facing.
    Press Back and the character moves in the opposite direction in which the character is facing.
    In other words the character always moves in a direction relative to the character...the player can be facing in any direction and the controls still work fine.

Movement controls which are not emmersive and difficult to control the action is where the player can see everything as if they are looking down at a scene from outside of the world and the character moves in relationship to the player and not the character:
    Press Left and the character spins around and faces the player's left then moves forward.
    Press Right and the character spins around and faces the player's right then moves forward.
    Press Forward and the character spins around and faces the player's forward direction then moves forward.
    Press Back and the character spins around and faces the opposite direction in which the player is facing then moves forward.
    In other words the direction that the player is facing determines the movement direction and the game assumes that the player is facing the screen...if the player is not facing the screen, for example lying down on a couch at a 90º angle to the screen, then the movement controls become completely wrong. It's as if the game designers assume that the game is going to be played on a PC where the player has to face the screen, however, the actual control limitations indicate that the game is going to be played with a console controller with an 8-point directional movement pad. If I didn't know any better I would suspect that the game developer is new to the industry and ignored all industry advisors about PC game control.

I'd say this constitutes as a complete failure for the PC. Add this to the GFWL requirement, the non-immersive ancient style camera technique, and the download only requirement (took 12 hours for me to download the demo on a business DSL), and the total score from my playbook is around 2 on a scale from 0 to 10...definitely going to hurt the franchise on the PC side.

It's a total shame...the game looks like it would be fun. I'll never be able to understand why developers besides me don't pay attention to what happened to other games. Heretic 2 was developed using the same camera view and it was a total failure...it completely ended that franchise which should have had a long productive life-span.

Quote Originally Posted by jesster View Post
    The theory of consumer psychology applies here: its easier to retain current customers than it is to attract new ones...and this effort of attracting different gamers to play this new TR is costing the designers and company the loyalty of the current fans of the TR series!
    Actually, I believe it's better to attract new gamers not just the same old one which want the same game again and again, the same lot that moan at the slightest change. One of the reasons I still believe the popularity took such a nose dive.

It's my two cents in the matter but Tomb Raider has never (from what I've played) had a good camera, in fact it took away the immersion factor due to the buggy camera and general glitchyness as you try to turn it.... least from what I did play of GOL it didn't have any problems in that department.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockn-Roll
    Heretic 2 was developed using the same camera view and it was a total failure...it completely ended that franchise which should have had a long productive life-span.
    It works perfectly fine really, Diablo uses a similar one and still seems to be going strong with the release of number 3.

they should've made it split screen one to the left other to the right it's better like that i agree with all of you about the fact everyone has an opinion some hate it some love it

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123