Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread: "Grenades" - New Weapon/Item

"Grenades" - New Weapon/Item

Question "Grenades" - New Weapon/Item

I think it's about that time to suggest a new idea.. plenty of other ideas out there so I'm
    tossing in my own.

Considering that the mechanists from "MA" could make robots that shot at you.. not to
    mention that acursed "ninja spider" robot.. it shouldn't be so unrealistic to have "grenades".

What kind you ask? well.. water? moss? maybe even fire? (has more power than the arrow).
    Give it a skill up system or something like how in metal gear raiden was able to level up his
    "grip" via pull ups.

I'm talking about like being able to throw farther.. maybe even curve it a bit to go around
    corners or even throw in a pool table geometry angle to make it bounce off stuff with a
    delayed timer system.

If Eidos is interested I have more ideas (doubt they'd ever contact me anyways) but for
    now lets see where this goes.

Oh one more thing those hoping there would be no aircraft in 4 might want to consider
    that given robots existed.. aircraft of some sort shouldn't be that far off.. lets not forget
    that MA had a submarine!

Anyways that's off topic.. grenades anyone? we already have "mines" an flash bombs
    so why not?

PS: Having seen the engine that made assassin's creed 1 & 2 with the free world concept
    I wouldn't imagine this game would be that hard to push out once a decent story line
    was formulated or such. Ok now I'm done being off topic =p

Um, you do realise this is the Thief 4 forum don't you?
    Jesus Saves
    But the Buddha does incremental back ups.

no need for grenades when I have arrows, it's just a waste of development time. There's no reason to create a variant of equipment that already exists that doesn't serve a different purpose.

Mines - I'm around a corner and the guard sets it off

Arrows - I can see the person or thing I need to hit with it.
    signature image
    signature image

Flashbomb is a grenade, so they're already in the game

Although smoke grenades or some other kind of similar screen would be a lovely touch
    Rent is due \o/ Please keep all new ideas outside of the traditional Thief formula to yourself. They are not welcome here.

Been saving up this image for just such an occasion...

Poor Edward seems to be put off by the idea.
    A burrick is for life, not just for Buildermas!

Mines already cover this most specifically, and arrows already give plenty of variation to the general effect.

The evil part of me would love to have a few dozen of fire grenades
    But we already have our elemental arrows and gas bombs and enough ways to make things go boom. I'd rather the developers spend their time on something more useful.

Water grenade. I dont see why you need so much water at once. One water arrow has enough water to put out the flames in the previous games. The only thing I can come up with on this is if there is really big fires or ovens used my mechanists and hammers.
    Fire grenade. Same thing here. What is the purpose. Sure it's new and fits quite good in but how devestating should this fire grenade be? The fire arrow is enough. The only reason that I can come up with would be to bounce it of walls or have it burn on the ground for a while, but thats not very thiefy.
    Gas grenade. This was done in TDS but it was called gas bomb and it was a good idea. It should have been more expensive though. It was overpowered to. If they can make a good gas grenade that bounce of walls, have a slightly bigger gas-area then the gas arrow and be very expensive and rare I'm all for it.
    Moss grenade. This is actually a very good idea. How often didn't you need to shoot many moss arrows to cover the metal floor? With this device you can cover much more at once. It could spray out a cloud of spores that follow the wind (if there is such a thing in Thief 4. It was mentioned among with the windaffected arrows in another thread). The spores land on walls and floors and grows moss of a total about 4 times as much moss as the moss arrow. It could be used for softer landings from high places so you don't get hurt.
    ^This is a part of the core design and a fundamental of Thief!

That would make the game too easy.
    Surripio ergo sunt.

This is an easy one................ NO.........................

Originally Posted by Vae
    This is an easy one................ NO.........................
    I hate when people do this. Of course you have reasons to think so. It's not that. But atleast you can add something to the discussion say why you don't want it instead of just a simple "no".
    Even the slightest information about why you don't want it is enough. like this: kabatta "That would make the game too easy."
    Please, tell us why.

Must I really explain this one, Yaphy?

The grenades are redundant to the effect of the elemental arrows, and they would also make an already overpowered Garrett, ridiculous. Do we really want Garrett lobbing grenades all the time, rather than using the sleeker, more elegant bow?...I think not. Maybe Garrett can start lobbing grenades at the aircraft that the OP suggests?...Perhaps he can fire bomb the City from rooftops, or better yet terrorize the City from the flying aircraft? Imagine the possibilities...

I really didn't feel the need to elaborate on a blatantly imbalanced, un-Thief-like idea, such as this...especially when others have already stated the obvious.

Thank you Vae. I just thought that he made the thread for a reason and even Corzama deserves an explanation. It's not a poll, right?

HELL NO!

The only granades that are a good idea are gas bomb(and im not quite shure) and flash boms.

Tha will make the game so much easyer.
    Besaids "fire granades" will be to laud, so whats the point??

pd. And now that i think about it, in TDP and TMA you have the explosive divise, and the only diference bitween this 2 is how to make it blow.

No thanks. It seems everyone who has non-Thief ideas like this have many more non-Thief ideas to eventually go along with it. And most also want open world. Seems strange.

Tangent: I wish flash bombs had concussion effects, where the guards would lose their site *and*their hearing. I don't use flash bombs much, so I don't know if they already temporarily take away hearing... But if they don't, it'd be nice if they dis so u could run past them and they won't be able to "hear" which direction you're going; so they don't know where to look when they're done being blinded.

I'm actually not a big user of the bombs and mines. I kinda wish it was a flash arrow instead of flash bomb. And I could live without standard mines. Frogbeast eggs work just as well. I like gas mines, tho. I just don't want Garrett feeling like Rambo.

Originally Posted by DarknessFalls
    Tangent: I wish flash bombs had concussion effects, where the guards would lose their site *and*their hearing. I don't use flash bombs much, so I don't know if they already temporarily take away hearing... But if they don't, it'd be nice if they dis so u could run past them and they won't be able to "hear" which direction you're going; so they don't know where to look when they're done being blinded.
    Why would flashbombs affect hearing? They don't make noise.

I'm actually not a big user of the bombs and mines. I kinda wish it was a flash arrow instead of flash bomb...
    Flash arrows? Strange. What is the point? Flash bombs are for hard times. You can throw quickly and run. On the other hand to throw a flash arrow takes time.
    Besides, I don't think flash bomb mechanism suitable for a arrow head. Even If it can, its affect decreases.
    "Not all shadows are cast by light, some are cast by darkness."

Originally Posted by Hamadriyad
    Why would flashbombs affect hearing? They don't make noise.
    I believe he was referring to flashbangs in real life such as the M84 stun grenade. But they're called flashBANGS for a reason. They have chemical components that produce a flash and a bang. Flashbombs are electromechanical devices that produce a very bright lightning spark but they produce little sound.

Grenades? Thats just overkill. . .right there... Grenades = Rambo
    (Grumbles) Why do funny things always happen on my shift.

Yeah, if I was more adept at dropping/tossing flashbombs on a whim, that's better than arrows. I just like my arrows more than mines and bombs, so I suggested it. I normally plan my use of flashbombs in advance, so I'd have time to use arrows. And I miss with the flashbombs 50% of the time it seems (wasted flashbombs); I could be more precise And effective with arrows. But you're right tho, keep 'em as bombs is probably better for most. Quicker to use. And I've also changed my mind on the concussive sounds. Thief is about being quiet, so I dont want flashbombs all the sudden alerting the whole house.

I normally plan my use of flashbombs in advance, so I'd have time to use arrows. And I miss with the flashbombs 50% of the time it seems (wasted flashbombs); I could be more precise And effective with arrows. But you're right tho, keep 'em as bombs is probably better for most. Quicker to use. And I've also changed my mind on the concussive sounds. Thief is about being quiet, so I dont want flashbombs all the sudden alerting the whole house.
    How the taff do you "plan your use of flashbombs in advance"? Are you always planning to get caught?

Originally Posted by Platinumoxicity
    How the taff do you "plan your use of flashbombs in advance"? Are you always planning to get caught?
    I plan the use of my flashbombs too and not because I get caught

it happens mainly in FM's but occasionally there's a guard who just will not look the other way, so they get FB'd to give me a window of opportunity, and of course there's the good 'ole exploding zombie use of FB's, if they are becoming a pain I try to get as many as I can in a small area and FB em into extinction to stop them being a pain, all planned uses, not one means being caught

but the undead have caught you if you're grouping them... the undead know what you've been doing in their crypts you taffer you.
    signature image
    signature image

there's a difference between being caught and luring a target out of position, I don't have to show myself to the undead, just make enough noise where I want them to go, that can be done in any number of ways that don't reveal my position

No thank you with flash and gas bombs how needs Grenades.

No one for smoke bombs then?
    Rent is due \o/ Please keep all new ideas outside of the traditional Thief formula to yourself. They are not welcome here.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last