Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Thread: How To: Loose Door Tether ("LDT") - An almost unbreakable tether in JC2, all platform

How To: Loose Door Tether ("LDT") - An almost unbreakable tether in JC2, all platform

Big Grin How To: Loose Door Tether ("LDT") - An almost unbreakable tether in JC2, all platform

~ How To: Loose Door Tether ("LDT") - An almost unbreakable tether in JC2, all platforms ~

Hi guys,

The grapple logic has been bugging me for a while. I think most of us want multiple grapples, infinite grapple strength etc. I can't do anything about the multiple grapples (unless you're on PC.. I'm on X360), but I wanted to see whether I could "trick" the physics engine somehow, and I've found a way to connect vehicles with an almost unbreakable tether to any object, so e.g. you can connect 2 vehicles without you having to be driving or surfing either, and the grapple doesn't break, until a *lot* of force is applied. You can watch cars sling around windmills, unmanned vehicles get dragged away by planes, and much, much more!

Before we start - I've never seen this solution mentioned anywhere before, it's entirely my own finding, and I call it the Loose Door Tether, "LDT"

LDT Tutorial Video

1. Obtain any vehicle from the "working" list below (e.g. any car).
    2. If you're in a..
      • CAR/PLANE:
        Get into the car/plane then stunt jump. The vehicle does not need to be moving. When you stunt jump, the door or hatch you exit from will be left hanging open. (Alternatively, shoot the door/hatch - the shotgun is best [EDIT: or a level 6 revolver, thanks sfmountainbiker], but any gun will work.)
      • HELICOPTER:
        Shoot the left or right "door" (a pilot hatch) on the side of the helicopter until it swings open. If you're not sure whether it's open (e.g. because gravity is keeping it down), attach one grapple hook to the hatch (as described in GROUND section below) then to the ground on the hinge side of the hatch; you should see it open partially or entirely. As long as it can swing loosely, that's fine.

3. If you are in/on:
      • CAR/PLANE STUNT JUMP POSITION:
        Just fire straight at the loose door/hatch, it's accessible as a grappling point whilst standing on the vehicle roof in the stunt jump position. Zooming can help, and the right-side door is easier to aim at on cars, since Rico stands a little more centrally on the roof when facing the right side. Any attachment to the door/hatch is fine, even to an edge of the door, or onto the glass.
      • GROUND:
        Look past the loose, swung-open door/hatch and slightly to the right (you can shoot a bullet at the door if it has partially closed, to reopen it). Fire the grapple and keep holding the button, ready for a tether shot aka "double grapple". The grapple shot fires slightly to the left of the crosshair; since we are looking slightly to the right of the hanging door, this means the grapple attaches to the loose door itself.

If the crosshair is green or red, your aiming system has locked onto the vehicle, and attaching to the loose door won't work, since the door is not a grappling point accessible from the ground. You should move your aim away from the vehicle until the crosshair is white again, then slowly move towards the door/hatch until you are looking slightly right of it.

4. Let go of grapple, aiming at something to attach to. You now have a virtually indestructible tether, and no need for you to be in the loose door vehicle

Vehicles that DO work:

1. CARS
      • All of them - except those listed in "not working" list below.
    2. PLANES
      • All of them
    3. HELICOPTERS
      • All of them
    4. BOATS
      • MTA Powerrun 77 [Black Market]
        How: Shoot the driver hatch (glass, like a plane's pilot hatch). Can attach to back of boat to check it's open; should jerk wide for a moment.
      • Pattani Gluay Pro 2 [Fishing Boat]
        How: LDT the loose rope on the back right of the canopy bar on the rear of the boat.
      • Phoenix [Common Military Gunboat]
        How: LDT the loose rope on the back right of the canopy bar on the rear of the boat.
        ^ Thanks to sfmountainbiker for reporting this
    5. SPECIAL CASES
      • GV-104 Razorback [Black Market]
        How: shoot the panel on the front of the tank, just underneath the turret's firing end in the BM picture. It's easy to shoot this one off completely; use the shotgun or a high-level revolver as described in the How To: section.
      • Marten Storm III [Reaper gang car]
        How: little doors at the back which can be shot and used for LDT
        ^ Thanks to Nicate for reporting this

Vehicles that DON'T work:
    Why: these vehicles have no doors, panels or other loosenable/spring grapple points
    1. CARS
      • Tuk Tuk
      • Maddox FVA 45
    2. PLANES
      • ..none known..
    3. HELICOPTERS
      • ..none known..
    4. BOATS
      • All of them - except those listed in "working" list above.

Note: Sadly it doesn't seem possible to get multi-rope out of this glitch, I've experimented and had no success.- KD

Fun Uses for LDT:

The LDT can be used for many other fun activities.. including:
    • NEW: Check out plane queueing using LDT - awesome work sfmountainbiker!
    • Bungie jumping in a vehicle, from a mountain
      peak/Mile High Club/bridge. Just tether loose door
      to the ground, or to the loose door of another vehicle
      on the platform.
    • Attaching unmanned vehicles to jets, and see them take off.
      Try the Titus ZJ outside the front of Panau International airport,
      LDT'd to one of the jumbo jets before it takes off. Note: This shows
      for sure that the tether is stronger than normal. However, the car drops off once
      the plane starts climbing hard, unless you're stunt jumped on the plane, or driving
      the plane or attached vehicle.
    • LDT a car to a mobile enemy chopper, then go for a drive.. depending
      on the car weight, either you go for a spin or they do!
    • LDT a vehicle to the hot air balloon, set the balloon drifting.
    • LDT the Silverbolt hatch to the ground as you're surfing it.
    • LDT the Monster Truck to a wind turbine.
    • LDT a racecar to the ground, as in my video. Or to another racecar, then shoot the wheels of the second one!

Have a look at some of the crazy videos posted in this thread for more examples, especially those by sfmountainbiker!

How I discovered this:

1. I noticed when mucking around with the racecars at the racetrack that you can fire the grapple at certain points on the car when you're stunt jumping on it which aren't possible to attach to when you're standing off it.
    2. I observed that after a car door's been shot a few times, the model changes and it hangs out loosely, seemingly attached by a loose spring.
    3. Generally speaking, you seem to need one vehicle to be moving in order for another vehicle to be able to drag it without the cable breaking.

Now I wondered whether (3) could be overcome by having some slightly movable part on an object be attached instead; with a bit of "give" in the attachment point, perhaps the cable wouldn't break? But what could I use? Well, in the case of all cars, (1) and (2) gave me my answer.

Note: The connection isn't indestructible - if sufficient force is applied, the door snaps off. This can be seen when you attach the Titus ZJ at Panau International Airport to an Airliner 474 there. The "jumbo jet" takes off and the car goes with it, but after a few seconds of the jet accelerating hard, the door snaps off and the car plummets. However, it is clear this LDT bond is far stronger than a normal bond, which would snap immediately if the car were attached to the jumbo and Rico is standing on the ground (i.e. not in/on either vehicle).

- KD

P.P.S. The monster truck's doors don't seem to loosen, so don't bother trying it! I've not found another vehicle which won't work yet. Two blasts from a level 3 shotgun does the job nicely

EDIT: The monster truck *does* work, I've discovered you just need to stunt jump from inside the car, to leave the door open, rather than shoot it. This works for all cars actually, and saves ammo.. Have updated my original post with this info.

hey great find - thanks for sharing that. I definitely want to check it out. Nice thorough experimentation!
    --------
    http://mygamepages.com forums and member created pages

Thumbs Up

Make this a sticky!!!
    As long as there is money, there is war. -RenegadeDennis
    BTW, give us cheats and a stronger and longer grapple please!!!

IF this works for me and I am assuming you found this yourself, then WOW! If this wasn't a glitch (probably is considered one), then it SHOULD get a sticky! Going to try this myself tonight.
    Want multiplayer? SIGN!!! Thanks sammich
    http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/JC2MP#signForm

Have just made a video, uploading now

This is amazing ! I just did the wind turbine and I was so funny getting thrown around. I've tried it on a skyscraper too is weird just dangeling under bridges kind of like a cheap cable car. I'm off the the ski lifts now
    XBL: Dudeaz666
    PSN: Dudeaz666 Feel free to add me !

dude i tether one to a bike and 1 to a soldier and ride that bike to the edge of a bridge and just swinging under the bridge is that a glitch? and dude make a youtube of this plss tnx

Other things to use the loose dor for...

I'm on 360, hopefully some one with a ps3 could record it, what I did was get a car, do what Komodo Daves post says the attach the broken door to the bridge over the race track ( the edge of one of them ramps on the bridge you'll know what I mean when you see 'em) then drive off and enjoy the ride. Kind of like car bungie jumping in away

Originally Posted by Mianeye
    Other things to use the loose dor for...

lol, I had that happen when I was trialing things, quite unexpected I must admit! Shows that the car model changes, for sure, since you can't do that normally.

What tag do I use to embed my youtube video like you've done, Mianeye?

Originally Posted by KomodoDave
    lol, I had that happen when I was trialing things, quite unexpected I must admit! Shows that the car model changes, for sure, since you can't do that normally.

What tag do I use to embed my youtube video like you've done, Mianeye?
    [ youtube ] Copy the letters after the = in your link in this space [ /youtube ]The space inside the clamps shall not be typed, its only to show an exsample

Made a video - have now linked to it in my original post

I think it's [ YouTube ] videonumber [ \YouTube ] ( delete the spaces)

Cheers you two, will change it to be embedded now..

@moderator: I would be grateful if you could change the thread title to be "How To: Create nearly unbreakable grapple between vehicle and any other object" . I seem unable to alter anything except post titles. Thanks

DAM! I found this ages ago with the Pell Silverbolt jet thing, i did it by accident but what happened was, i attached the door the a 747 and then basically the same thing happened try it

But you should deffinatly take credit for it

Originally Posted by JustCause.i.can
    DAM! I found this ages ago with the Pell Silverbolt jet thing, i did it by accident but what happened was, i attached the door the a 747 and then basically the same thing happened try it

But you should deffinatly take credit for it
    Sweet, so we have at least one flying vehicle guaranteed Does the Silverbolt pilot hatch swing loose too when damaged then, or is it just when it's opened normally? Good to know, thanks

Exclamation

Originally Posted by KomodoDave
    Sweet, so we have at least one flying vehicle guaranteed Does the Silverbolt pilot hatch swing loose too when damaged then, or is it just when it's opened normally? Good to know, thanks
    I had it too, it just went crazy and started to do circles around the 474. The hatch (not that one :P) was damaged so it went loose.
    As long as there is money, there is war. -RenegadeDennis
    BTW, give us cheats and a stronger and longer grapple please!!!

Good stuff. Thanks for the post. I find myself playing on PC just so I can use the infinite grapple/multi hooks. I've pretty much decided to sell my 360 version due to the issues.

Update: I've modified my original post, turns out if you just stunt jump from inside any car, Rico leaves the door open No need for shooting, and this works great with the Monster Truck and Ice Cream Truck too! They had too high armour for shooting to work, when I tested that way. I just tethered the ice cream truck's loose door to a jumbo jet, and it's strong enough to survive the whole ascent and flight afterwards! Awesome Rowlinson black market chopper works too (you have to shoot the door on it of course, can't stunt jump onto roof like with a car), although I haven't had any luck with other flying vehicles yet.. I tried shooting a skeeter eagle pilot hatch, which didn't work, and nor did shooting the hatch on the silverbolt.

Update: The black market tank works as well, using a small panel on its front - added to the top post under "Misc".

Any chance of stickying this? It's a hugely fun addition, for players on any platform, and doesn't rely on anything other than the game itself. Otherwise all my hard work editing the top post will be lost..

I would also be grateful for a title change, to: "How To: Create nearly unbreakable grapple between vehicle and any other object". I've tried changing this myself with no success.

=KomodoDave;1374771][/LIST][*] PLANES
    [LIST][*]Silverbolt [I]<- Thanks to JustCause.i.can and RenegadeDennis for this info. ** UNCONFIRMED - I can't get this to work myself! Anyone else? **
    Here's a vid I made a while back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjxTf1dd8X4
    Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- Fear of long words.
    These are mah' glitches.

This is the greatest discovery in JC2 to date! Kudos and thanks for the wonderful guide. Can't wait to play with this tonight!

Originally Posted by N-lyger
    Here's a vid I made a while back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjxTf1dd8X4
    Nice one, thanks N-lyger. It's weird though, I've tried shooting it and it never seems to budge. Maybe it's an oddity, and not like the others.. we'll see whether anyone manages to shoot it open when it's on the ground.

Originally Posted by sfmountainbiker
    This is the greatest discovery in JC2 to date! Kudos and thanks for the wonderful guide. Can't wait to play with this tonight!
    Hehe, I'm glad you're pleased! It sure makes things fun again. After seeing BOLOPatch for PC players, I just *had* to come up with something for us console players Here's hoping the devs give us the cheats we all want sometime soon.. we shouldn't have to come up with things like this (although it's fun to experiment!).

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last