Thread: New to Batman comics?Need updates? Read here!

New to Batman comics?Need updates? Read here!

Originally Posted by TheBrandon
    Question, is this all the no mans land volumes in one? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067...pf_rd_i=507846
    Yeah, that's just a standard novel, not a graphic novel.
    Sometimes, doing something wrong is what it takes to do something right.

I'm surprised Knightfall isn't mentioned anywhere... o.O That happens to be one of my favorites besides The Dark Knight Returns and Long Halloween and Hush, etc.

But I have a question that I really haven't found an answer for, and I feel kind of dumb because I'm a huge Batman fan but I just now decided to get into the loop of the monthly Batman comics. So anyway, how and what comic did Jason Todd come back to life? I've read Battle for the Cowl and enjoyed it, but I was very confused on why Jason was back. I know he's been back for a while, but I have no idea how or what comic this was all explained in.

So if somebody can help me out, that'd be great.
    I don't think you understand the situation. You're not in a position to negotiate. Let me show you.....

I think I read he was resurrected by Lazarus Pit but details are scarce:

Originally Posted by wikipedia
    After being restored to life by Superboy-Prime's disruption of reality, following his murder at the hands of the Joker, Jason Todd becomes an amnesiac vagrant. Later he is recognized by Talia al Ghul, who restores his health and memory by immersing him in a Lazarus Pit in which her father Ra's Al Ghul also bathed (Following Jason's original death, Batman had briefly contemplated using a Lazarus Pit to restore Jason, but rejected the option on the grounds that the cranial trauma Jason had suffered prior to his death made it unlikely that Jason would ever be mentally stable after such an ordeal).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazarus_Pit

One more thing about Jason Todd. I read in Batman & Robin (where his hair is red) he said Bruce forced him to dyed his hair black so that he resemble the earlier Robin. That was total BS nonsense because in the earlier issues when Jason's about to steal Batmobile's tyre, his hair was black (A Death In The Family).And also in Nightwing Year One, when Batman tied Jason to a chair, his hair was black.

The writer seriously need to check the continuity of stories rather than bulldoze their way through without a care in the world.

Originally Posted by Shark_Blade
    The writer seriously need to check the continuity of stories rather than bulldoze their way through without a care in the world.
    Morrison was given free reign after Infinite Crisis, so he brought back the red hair that Jason originally had. Thats pretty much the whole thing about Grant Morrison's Batman saga. DC has given him free reign to do whatever he wants.

I think I read he was resurrected by Lazarus Pit but details are scarce:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazarus_Pit

One more thing about Jason Todd. I read in Batman & Robin (where his hair is red) he said Bruce forced him to dyed his hair black so that he resemble the earlier Robin. That was total BS nonsense because in the earlier issues when Jason's about to steal Batmobile's tyre, his hair was black (A Death In The Family).And also in Nightwing Year One, when Batman tied Jason to a chair, his hair was black.

Thanks a bunch! For some reason I never thought to check wiki... *Facepalm*

Originally Posted by Drazar
    Morrison was given free reign after Infinite Crisis, so he brought back the red hair that Jason originally had. Thats pretty much the whole thing about Grant Morrison's Batman saga. DC has given him free reign to do whatever he wants.
    Ugh... It might just be me, but I'm not a fan of Grant Morrison's work. I'm not sure why, but every time I read his books like RIP I always feel like I'm missing pages or panels. He just writes weird stuff and I'm not sure why DC keeps letting him write Batman. I do love Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth though.
    I don't think you understand the situation. You're not in a position to negotiate. Let me show you.....

Originally Posted by ICK14

Ugh... It might just be me, but I'm not a fan of Grant Morrison's work. I'm not sure why, but every time I read his books like RIP I always feel like I'm missing pages or panels..
    Well you did read Batman & Son, Batman: The Black Glove first right?

He just writes weird stuff and I'm not sure why DC keeps letting him write Batman
    Because he breathes new life to the genre. Bringing back Sci-fi elements, older characters from heroes to villains, creating new villains and newer concepts is what makes critics and fans love the guy. Not to mention his Batman & Robin title is always on the top 5 sales.

Well you did read Batman & Son, Batman: The Black Glove first right?

Because he breathes new life to the genre. Bringing back Sci-fi elements, older characters from heroes to villains, creating new villains and newer concepts is what makes critics and fans love the guy. Not to mention his Batman & Robin title is always on the top 5 sales.
    I actually did read the other two, and I thought they were written exactly the same as R.I.P. But I LOVE the ninja Man-Bats! They were AWESOME! And I have yet to read an Batman & Robin.

Go check Batman & Robin, like now!

Edit: SPOILER

Personally I love the new dynamic between Dick and Damian. I hated Damian when I first read him in Batman & Son due to his rudeness and arrogance, but he started to grow on me later on. A badass Robin is pure win.

The only gripe I have with the new series is that the villains are not that great imo. That pigman, the Scarlet girl with mask pasted to her skin and then there's Red Hood, the guy stuck with a large red vase on top of his head. Hopefully there will be a return of the more memorable villains in the future.

Go check Batman & Robin, like now!

Edit: SPOILER

Personally I love the new dynamic between Dick and Damian. I hated Damian when I first read him in Batman & Son due to his rudeness and arrogance, but he started to grow on me later on. A badass Robin is pure win.

The only gripe I have with the new series is that the villains are not that great imo. That pigman, the Scarlet girl with mask pasted to her skin and then there's Red Hood, the guy stuck with a large red vase on top of his head. Hopefully there will be a return of the more memorable villains in the future.
    Well, the new villians are meant to be a separate take on Batman. This is Dick Grayson's villians, not Bruce's. Grant Morrison was just trying to get Dick Grayson to own batman, not just a wannabe Batman prancing around in a Batman suit.

Yep Freeze is correct. The first villains we're Circus freaks to connect to Dick's pasts while Flamingo was an evil pink Zorro. Red Hood was the fallen son of Batman, with his own sidekick againts Dick's Robin.

Oh, this is news to me. I'm gonna miss Poison Ivy, Mr Freeze, Riddler, Penguin and the lots..

Oh, this is news to me. I'm gonna miss Poison Ivy, Mr Freeze, Riddler, Penguin and the lots..
    They'll be back after the Return of Bruce Wayne arc. Which has already started, and the second issue due out sometime this month.

What are you talking about? Paul Dini is using Poison Ivy in Gotham City Sirens. Riddler is both in Gotham City Sirens & Batman title. Penquin was part of Batman arc and whatnot. No matter how respected a writer can be, he can't hog all the characters for himself since there is continuety to be respected. Hence you'll never see Morrison using *all* the villains.

What are you talking about? Paul Dini is using Poison Ivy in Gotham City Sirens. Riddler is both in Gotham City Sirens & Batman title. Penquin was part of Batman arc and whatnot. No matter how respected a writer can be, he can't hog all the characters for himself since there is continuety to be respected. Hence you'll never see Morrison using *all* the villains.
    Exactly what this says.

Originally Posted by TheBrandon
    Question, is this all the no mans land volumes in one? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067...pf_rd_i=507846
    Holy cool novels,Batman!

Sorry,couldn't resist.

Originally Posted by mwkcope
    Holy cool novels,Batman!

Sorry,couldn't resist.

Oh yeah I forgot about Gotham Sirens (Posion Ivy, Harley and Catwoman). 3 girls living together and play pillow fights every night before bed time. Cool.

Hopefully they'll feature other regular villains again soon. I want to see how Dick and Damian handle them now Bruce is gone.

On a side note, does anyone read Red Robin? I like Tim and have almost all of his "Robin" comics save for 'Tragedy and Triumph' collection issue. Not really keen on his new costume but the story is compelling to me. Plus he has Ras al Ghul aiding him, how wicked is that?

Does anyone else think that they should have given Tim a better superhero name than Red Robin? It's a hamburger restaurant -__-
    They should change his name once Bruce is back.

Btw, what do you think'll happen once Bruce returns?
    We can't have two Batmen.
    Dick can't be Nightwing anymore.
    Damain and Tim's situation are fine.

Originally Posted by puppet627
    Does anyone else think that they should have given Tim a better superhero name than Red Robin? It's a hamburger restaurant -__-
    They should change his name once Bruce is back.

Btw, what do you think'll happen once Bruce returns?
    We can't have two Batmen.
    Dick can't be Nightwing anymore.
    Damain and Tim's situation are fine.
    Well, at the start of the year. Grant Morrison stated that "He'll do another year's worth of stories with Dick Grayson's Batman." Batman:The Return of Bruce Wayne arc will finish around there, maybe Octoberish - and there'll be another arc that details the events happening with Bruce's return and what happens to Dick.

My prediction is Bruce will become Batman again but Dick probably won't revert to his Nightwing persona.

On a side note, does anyone read Red Robin? I like Tim and have almost all of his "Robin" comics save for 'Tragedy and Triumph' collection issue. Not really keen on his new costume but the story is compelling to me. Plus he has Ras al Ghul aiding him, how wicked is that?
    Chris Yost's arc started off mediocore but it became pretty good at the end of the run. So yeah i'd recommend getting both of his trades, the 1st one is out already.

Ok I just picked up my first graphic novel A serious house on serious earth. Can someone basically sumarize for me because I thought it was hard to follow did Amadeus kill his mother??? And just please help me out here

Read the script,it's much easier that way.

Originally Posted by Ddvw123abc
    Ok I just picked up my first graphic novel A serious house on serious earth. Can someone basically sumarize for me because I thought it was hard to follow did Amadeus kill his mother??? And just please help me out here
    Yes. Amadeus Arkham killed his mother.

Just finished reading the new tpb STREETS OF GOTHAM: HUSH MONEY

loved it ... although I don't like the way they "humanised" Hush so much. But they did a great job with Zsasz

also, if you're a fan of Dick & Damian as the dynamic duo, then check it out ... not quite as great as Grant Morrison but still good

looking fwd to part 2

Originally Posted by Zur-en-ah
    Just finished reading the new tpb STREETS OF GOTHAM: HUSH MONEY

loved it ... although I don't like the way they "humanised" Hush so much. But they did a great job with Zsasz

also, if you're a fan of Dick & Damian as the dynamic duo, then check it out ... not quite as great as Grant Morrison but still good

looking fwd to part 2
    I actually haven't read that trade yet.

Page 2 of 6 First First 123456 Last