Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: GOL spells the end for Lara?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,261

    GOL spells the end for Lara?

    Ok so before I go into this I don't mean GOL is going to rubbish or its going to ruin lara etc, savvy?

    What I mean is, that from reading various news posts, viewing interviews and reading the forums it appears that Square enix intends to remove Lara Croft from the TR franchise and probably replace her with someone else (and if it is another gun slinging yank I will not be happy (that was a dig at nathan drake ))

    So does the GOL spell the beginning of the end for Lara in the TR series? and will she now be confided to the arcade style games for the rest of her existence? or are they going to try and put her in another form of games? I honestly can't see in what, it wouldnt be something like smash bros (what I mean by that is how they took characters from previous games and just mashed them together) Or some form of 3rd person shooter because Lara is a destructive acheologist not a soldier

    So are we going to get one final TR game with Lara in it before she is written off completely in the TR series? never again to be as large or at least as average as she has been? (again I mean she was huge in the 90's but not so much in the 00's)


    So people what's your opinion? Do you think she will indeed be removed from the TR franchise and replaced with someone else? Do you think we will still get to see Lara on current Gen consoles? Will she become a memory of the past and we will need to get to love someone else? please discuss I wish to hear your thoughts on what I have said



    P:S I in no way dislike any of the TR games, some I like more than others and even though some are riddled with bugs and have some gameplay elements taken away, but I still love it, don't get the idea I don't. TR has been one of my favourite games since it was released in 1996
    "Die Potato" "Not today!"
    signature image

  2. #2
    When people say "Its to give us something to play in th meantime" I doubt it is. The reason I say this is that Lara Croft will be a series of arcade games that CD will try out different things and if they work they'll incorporate them into the main games.

    Basically these arcade games are probably seen by CD as a kind of prototype or testing zone.

    They'll test ideas at a lower price than creating a full game and see if people want said ideas or not. As we know some TR fans are annoying when it comes to what they want, so CD can try them out and if they don't work its no big deal. But to stay back on topic, I doubt they'll replace Lara... Square could end up creating a spin off series that will feature Lara but not as a playable character.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    3,400
    I agree with Ants!
    I really don't think that Lara Croft will be replaced in the Tomb Raider series! That would be a really stupid move! After all, Lara IS the true Tomb Raider! Having a TR game without Lara would be like having Supernatural without the Winchester brothers!!! It just wouldn't work!!!!
    Lara in a side game like GOL, sure, that's fine! But the main series without Lara would be a total epic fail!!!!
    signature image

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,261
    Yeah i agree with ants aswell using arcade games to test things (to a limited extent) is pretty cool and low cost but replacing Lara in the TR series would be a really bad mistake but i, if i am honest am scared that SEE will replace her in the TR series and i honestly do not want to see that ever happen Lara is my love of my game life (geek moment ) lol no other character has me enthralled with them like Lara. Although she hasn't made me sad face like Dragon age did when my character kicked the bucket lol
    "Die Potato" "Not today!"
    signature image

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    1,580
    There is no TR without Lara so definately don't think they would do that. There would be so much hate responce that it's a stupid choice.

    Ultimately I think GOL is a trial game. It hasn't got the TR tittle so give the production more room for innovation and variation from TR. If it goes wrong no damage to TR and if it goes right it could be a seperate series.

    I think there may still be 3 or more main TR games to come. All will have Lara as a main character.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielsun View Post
    Yeah i agree with ants aswell using arcade games to test things (to a limited extent) is pretty cool and low cost but replacing Lara in the TR series would be a really bad mistake but i, if i am honest am scared that SEE will replace her in the TR series and i honestly do not want to see that ever happen Lara is my love of my game life (geek moment ) lol no other character has me enthralled with them like Lara. Although she hasn't made me sad face like Dragon age did when my character kicked the bucket lol
    Also don't forget, Square Enix can't force Crystal to do all that much in terms of characters and storyline really as all that comes from Crystal.

    Like bloomsbury couldn't turn around and tell J.K. that they want the main character raplacing in any of her books cause that isn't up to them

    At least that's how I understand it?!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,261
    i understood it that the publishers own the right to the character and generally how she is and CD are the ones who make the storyline the art (most of the work) and get a bit of artistic creativity

    if i am honest i do not entirely know what the publishers do vs the developers....if Keir was here he would save the day lol
    "Die Potato" "Not today!"
    signature image

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,751
    I don't think SE or CD or anyone else would even seriously consider that. Lara croft is Tomb Raider.
    signature image

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielsun View Post

    if i am honest i do not entirely know what the publishers do vs the developers....if Keir was here he would save the day lol
    Yeah, I don't 100% know how they work but I always thought the publishers are the ones responsible for marketing and merchandising.

    If you want to use Lara on your product you'll go through Square not CD. CD just create the game.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,658
    I haven't got the impression that the developers that Lara is being removed from TR. I highly doubt it, Lara Croft makes Tomb Raider to me, it's just too drastic a change for it to be considered and the game continues to sell.

  11. #11
    No way, dude! They've just introduced a new concept - we will continue getting Tomb Raider games. It's something to keep us busy (and hopefully happy) while they work on the future TR games

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulse View Post
    I don't think SE or CD or anyone else would even seriously consider that. Lara croft is Tomb Raider.
    What do you mean?!

    EDIT: lol sorry I didn't see that period! Try reading without it.
    "-Is that an ancient Tibetan ritual dagger in your pocket?"
    "Maybe I'm just happy to see you!" -Uncharted 2

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,767
    As long as it sells, it will not stop.

    It's sad that TR has turned into an ATM.
    Villa, villa.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,261
    i hope they don't remove her from TR i may just be over reacting to what i have read and heard i love the idea of an arcade game to keep me entertained whilst i wait i just don't ever want bad decisions to be made for TR and Lara they are one and the same no one can replace her
    "Die Potato" "Not today!"
    signature image

  15. #15

    Thumbs Down I hate GOL.

    If you guys like GOL there's one thing that you should know. This is the end of TOMB RAIDER. There wont be a TR9. Just Lara Croft.
    And what is Lara Croft whit out her Tomb Raider title ???
    Answer me.
    I want to see your opinions..

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    3,400
    Quote Originally Posted by Janey_TR View Post
    If you guys like GOL there's one thing that you should know. This is the end of TOMB RAIDER. There wont be a TR9. Just Lara Croft.
    And what is Lara Croft whit out her Tomb Raider title ???
    Answer me.
    I want to see your opinions..
    I think you are wrong! CD already said that they are working on 2 projects, GOL and a new TR title! So NO, GOL IS NOT THE END OF TOMB RAIDER!!!
    signature image

  17. #17
    Yeah, this isn't TR9, just like.....TR8.5. They're going to work on a TR9 :] I'm sure that was mentioned somewhere, but I can't remember where.
    "Various myths use different names but they all apply to the same remnants of the ancient world." - Lara Croft

  18. #18
    "Most successful video game heroine" in the Guiness Book of World Records gaming edition. Lara only made it that high up with the TR series and the odd movie/book/merchandise, adding an arcade style game in an attempt to further increase her success makes sense.

    That is, I'm pretty sure the developers and the publishers know that it's perfectly fine to release on-the-side products, whether it be slightly disfigured figurines, lunchboxes or an arcade styled game as these pose little risk to Lara's overall popularity.

    As far as I'm concerned, major tampering with the TR series itself is highly unlikely. My basis for this assumption being that when people hear "Lara" they think "Tomb Raider", or vice versa. No-one sits in front of a TR series and says "man, I wish I could swap out Lara for an Indiana Jones or Daniel Craig model".

    But most importantly, the bulk of the audience love and appreciate Lara for her characteristic traits, and truly, history shows that these can only be successfully portrayed all at once through the TR series.

    On the mind of the publishers is probably the fact that they know there can be a rather long waiting time between each TR series, but what can you do? The long wait time helps to create the hype prior to each TR release, but doing absolutely nothing for extended periods of time between each TR game is a waste of a character who is "the most successful video game heroine" right?

    Conclusively, there is no room for change, but only room to add more products.

    There is no way that TR and Lara are under threat :-)

  19. #19
    Remove Lara from TR?!? What a nonsense!! Like one would replace Michael as lead singer in the Jackson Five. She is a gold mine, no one in the videogame business would commit such a fiasco, don't worry
    signature image

  20. #20
    loved this thread..i dont think they will remove lara they just want to expand the series make it more famous and more of a gamers household name(at least that im sure is their intention).however i bet a trillion that they will add new playble characters in the tr games to come...of course there will be a lara croft franhise based exclusively on lara but the tr franchise is something else..i would like to see how they are going to materilize that..maybe introduce more tomb raiders that would give them the opportunity to create better storylines or intervene their past with laras.because lets face it:apart from trl the storylines of the other games have been repetitive and cliche

    the new render is awesome..

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by needmorepillows View Post
    "Most successful video game heroine" in the Guiness Book of World Records gaming edition. Lara only made it that high up with the TR series and the odd movie/book/merchandise, adding an arcade style game in an attempt to further increase her success makes sense.

    That is, I'm pretty sure the developers and the publishers know that it's perfectly fine to release on-the-side products, whether it be slightly disfigured figurines, lunchboxes or an arcade styled game as these pose little risk to Lara's overall popularity.

    As far as I'm concerned, major tampering with the TR series itself is highly unlikely. My basis for this assumption being that when people hear "Lara" they think "Tomb Raider", or vice versa. No-one sits in front of a TR series and says "man, I wish I could swap out Lara for an Indiana Jones or Daniel Craig model".

    But most importantly, the bulk of the audience love and appreciate Lara for her characteristic traits, and truly, history shows that these can only be successfully portrayed all at once through the TR series.

    On the mind of the publishers is probably the fact that they know there can be a rather long waiting time between each TR series, but what can you do? The long wait time helps to create the hype prior to each TR release, but doing absolutely nothing for extended periods of time between each TR game is a waste of a character who is "the most successful video game heroine" right?

    Conclusively, there is no room for change, but only room to add more products.

    There is no way that TR and Lara are under threat :-)
    sry for the double post but i had to comment this:there is no room for change?this logic destroyed tr back then (1998) when the developers decided to keep the old formula and use it on tr3,tr4.and then when tr6 came it was all about bad timing and financial issues.change is what tr needs right now..even if that means less lara..because the more u get of something the easier u become bored of it.and i admit i want to see less lara if that means a huge improvement in tr and lara respectively.plus what do u think made trl succesful?change in gmeplay and the fact that they added new characters and revambed laras history..all in all no offence but this kind of thinking is very narrow minded in general

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    sry for the double post but i had to comment this:there is no room for change?this logic destroyed tr back then (1998) when the developers decided to keep the old formula and use it on tr3,tr4.and then when tr6 came it was all about bad timing and financial issues.change is what tr needs right now..even if that means less lara..because the more u get of something the easier u become bored of it.and i admit i want to see less lara if that means a huge improvement in tr and lara respectively.plus what do u think made trl succesful?change in gmeplay and the fact that they added new characters and revambed laras history..all in all no offence but this kind of thinking is very narrow minded in general
    None taken, and excellent points.

    More specifically, I was trying to argue for the main spotlight to remain around Lara in any of the future series under the TR title, the reason for doing so being that should too little of Lara be played in the TR titles then it leaves less room for her to show off her character.

    However, that's not to say that we should immediately shun the prospects of new characters or stories, etc. You are very right in the sense that if there is too much of one thing, it increases the likeliness of being bored of it. Indeed, TR:Legend was great for the reasons you have given but at the end of the day, the story line still follows the perspective of Lara.

    To what proportion of the story incorporated in the TR series will remain around Lara is the issue at hand, and when I mention "no room for change" I'm referring to the importance of the relationship between TR and Lara, that relationship is what I feel should not be changed (the ability to pick up "Tomb Raider", and know it's a game about one of Lara's episodes in 3rd person glory with the latest video/graphical features available on console or computer, rather than say "oh, it COULD have Lara in it..." or "The introduction sequence and a little bit of a way through the game there is Lara, but that's it").

    There is definitely room for new things, like GoL in a completely new vent, but I feel that Lara is too important to the TR title to have her role cut in any drastic ways. Though, if minor adjustments are required to make a brilliant TR, then like you I am all for that as well =)

  23. #23
    ooh ok then..i just have that feeling that they really need to do something big,new and fresh for tr to emerge from its ashes.plus i always thought that because eidos made money out of the name 'lara croft' they never really dared to do somethin more risky like tamper with the tr formula or try to introduce new things in a tr game (and by new i mean huge gameplay changes not just a graple hook that so reminded pop) in fear of losing the safe money.however now is the sq enix era and hopefully they will invest enough on tr and lara to produce high quality and succesfull games.in the end only time will tell whether the sq enix takeover was a blessing or a curse for lara but i for one im really optimistic(even though i dont like gol)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •