Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light: First Look

Heya JROD, nice to hear from ya too. And yeah, aside from a very hectic work schedule I had thse past 2 months, I have also been massively consumed by Mass Effect 2. I went through 3 character play throughs (maybe 155 hrs in total) and am still planning to try out 2 other classes and see if I can experiment with some other plot choices. I'm just blown away by the chapter connection this series has with the game import feature. Seriously, this is not only the best RPG I have ever played, but its my personal Game of the Generation.

But back on topic, I admit, I was just shocked at first by what I initially saw. But before you get the wrong idea, actually I can appreciate a series (generally speaking) branching out across genres, in ones that make sense for their given background. Before Halo Wars I had often discussed how well that series which was based on an intergalactic war, would adapt to the RTS genre. As well as a squad based tactical team shooter, a-la RainbowSix and GRAW.

With Star Wars, FPS, Action Adventure, RTS, and RPGs are all a natural fit. Then you got Warcraft, and see how well that established RTS transitioned to MMO. Metroid also proved that branching across different game styles, from 2D side scrolling, to first person exploration, and soon to 3D free roaming in Other M, as well as being featured in the fighting genre, allows a game series to enjoy longevity while staying fresh.

But when it came to Tomb Raider, I guess to me, the acrobatic platforming and exploration was an integral part of the series, what was at the core of its identity as a game series.

And as pointed out earlier, therin lies the loophole. It's NOT a "Tombh Raider" game, while still remaining a "Lara Croft" game. Like I said, my initial reaction was out of surprised shock from something so unexpected coming right out of nowhere.

Maybe now I'll be able to go through the stages of denial, anger, bargaining and reach acceptance of this new format by the time the game releases, haha

Funny too I should have this reaction, when I myself had proposed a Lara Croft mansion mini-game of an in-game photomode that let you shoot Lara posing in various mansion locations, in the assortment of outfits you unlocked for her, where you could save these photos to your drive and upload them to an Eidos server space to share with the fan community. An idea inspired by photo modes in games like DOA and Forza (Forza having the online sharing feature).

Yeah it's "Lara Croft, and the Guardian of Light". Looks like an arcade downloadable cell phone game. From the helicopter view, I thought LoK right of the top of my head. Hopefully it's a spin off like, "God of War: chains of Olympus". I must admit though I'm a bit confused with the Downloadable aspect of this. Sounds like a BTA or Lara's Shadow, which begs the ? is this exclusive to any platform or is it multi-platform?
    signature image

Actually, it begs the ?, why DLC again. What's up with this?

This shouldn't be compared to Lara's Shadow or Beneath the Ashes. DLC is content which is added to a core game to expand it. This is a downloadable game, which is exactly that, a complete game unto itself, seperate and independant from other titles of the same name (or same character).

I don't know about this. I was really hoping for some news about the next game. Not, well, this.... I just honestly don't know what to think about this. I mean, I never fork out money for arcade games. I can better spend that money for used copies of full games. It just strikes me as a waste of time.

@adobeARTIST: Yeah, I was busy for a couple of months as well. I got Dragon Age: Origins and Assassin's Creed 2. Both excellent games, if I may say so myself. Man, I'm jealous. I want Mass Effect. Like I said above, I don't know what to think about this. As you put it, it isn't a TR game, but that just makes me even more confused. People are going to want to know what CD has been up to since the buy out by SE, but I don't know if this is the right way to do this. I want to know what is in store for Tomb Raider. Not necessarily Lara Croft, if that makes sense. I mean, Lara herself is fine. Everybody knows who she is. She has movies, books, comics..... But, I'm not sure people are real sure about the identity of TR. What is that game trying to do? What is it's purpose? I have to admit, that I'm not sure myself.
    Humanity is not a species or a race, it is a STATE OF MIND.

One level or a whole game, it makes no difference. I want to hold that disc in my hands, see the pretty colors it makes, smell the new plastic, watch the tray swallow it up, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by JRod108 View Post
    I don't know about this. I was really hoping for some news about the next game. Not, well, this.... I just honestly don't know what to think about this. I mean, I never fork out money for arcade games. I can better spend that money for used copies of full games. It just strikes me as a waste of time.

@adobeARTIST: Yeah, I was busy for a couple of months as well. I got Dragon Age: Origins and Assassin's Creed 2. Both excellent games, if I may say so myself. Man, I'm jealous. I want Mass Effect. Like I said above, I don't know what to think about this. As you put it, it isn't a TR game, but that just makes me even more confused. People are going to want to know what CD has been up to since the buy out by SE, but I don't know if this is the right way to do this. I want to know what is in store for Tomb Raider. Not necessarily Lara Croft, if that makes sense. I mean, Lara herself is fine. Everybody knows who she is. She has movies, books, comics..... But, I'm not sure people are real sure about the identity of TR. What is that game trying to do? What is it's purpose? I have to admit, that I'm not sure myself.
    I think its purpose is to test the waters a bit. It's a way for CD to test weather this or that direction, is viable for a game involving Lara Croft.

It's smart really, it's like, "Here is this acceptable to everybody?!" *waits for response, if positive* "Ok, next TR outing lets do all of these things in a full blown TR title with all this edgy content from "Lara Croft: and the Guardian of Light". Bam TR9!

Smart, really ingenious.

Still wondering how we're all going to download it, specially for those who can't in any way shape or form.
    signature image

We have the right to judge it all we want. Really, it's like if CD released Lara Croft: The Musical and everyone going "AH! At least we have something!!" Look, you like it? That's great. Good for you. I, however, am reluctant to bite and I see nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

@adobeARTIST: Hey, it's been a while since you been here. How's it going?

Good for you. If you want to be caught with your foot in your mouth, be my guest. If the game ends up being the most awesome thing ever created, I will be the one to say: "I told you so."

Quote Originally Posted by Tombgeek View Post
    Good for you. If you want to be caught with your foot in your mouth, be my guest. If the game ends up being the most awesome thing ever created, I will be the one to say: "I told you so."
    LOL You just crushed J-ROD!!!
    "-Is that an ancient Tibetan ritual dagger in your pocket?"
    "Maybe I'm just happy to see you!" -Uncharted 2

It could also go the other way, leaving you with a mouthful.

this could be a bit of a wierd innuendo with you lot all wanting a mouthful of something....hmmm
    "Die Potato" "Not today!"
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Randy 54 View Post
    It could also go the other way, leaving you with a mouthful.
    I did not say the new game will be good, I'm just saying I'm being open-minded. I don't say a game sucks before I have played it. So if it turns out bad, I have nothing to be embarrassed about. I did not say it will be good, but I did not say it will be bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by Danielsun View Post
    this could be a bit of a wierd innuendo with you lot all wanting a mouthful of something....hmmm
    I hope you don't mean anything sexual! LOL

You just put your foot in your mouth, idiot. I never said the game sucked. I said I was reluctant. Why don't you read before you post?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Miller View Post
    LOL You just crushed J-ROD!!!
    Don't act like one of those insecure people that latch on to somebody else to make yourself look cool. It's pathetic.

PS: It's JRod. That's it. No -, no caps.

You don't even know me! You think you can judge me by reading my short post? You're wrong, you're the pathetic one.

You don't even know me! You think you can judge me by reading my short post? You're wrong, you're the pathetic one.
    Then perhaps you should refrain from making comments about other people's conversation if you can't handle backlash.

Then perhaps you should refrain from making comments about other people's conversation if you can't handle backlash.
    I really thought about posting a face palm just to get on your nerves. Any way just wanted to say, hey everybody its going to be a good old fashioned forum fight!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pinpal View Post
    I really thought about posting a face palm just to get on your nerves. Any way just wanted to say, hey everybody its going to be a good old fashioned forum fight!!!
    I think not, Jason Miller is, quite frankly, not worth my time. And are you seriously going to post facepalms about someone else's so called "fight" like a child? I thought you above that.

I hope you don't mean anything sexual! LOL

i shall leave it open for interpretation, like people are leaving their mouths open for something to fill them with
    "Die Potato" "Not today!"
    signature image

I think not, Jason Miller is, quite frankly, not worth my time. And are you seriously going to post facepalms about someone else's so called "fight" like a child? I thought you above that.
    well excuse me I wasn't really going to post a facepalm. Feisty aren't ya

Quote Originally Posted by pinpal View Post
    well excuse me I wasn't really going to post a facepalm. Feisty aren't ya
    I certainly can be when the need arises, I suppose.

By saying that, you are going against everything this forum is about. If you are unable assimilate that, then I'm afraid you don't deserve to be on these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexie View Post
    Lol, wtf is up with that drama button? It won't work!!!

You just put your foot in your mouth, idiot. I never said the game sucked. I said I was reluctant. Why don't you read before you post?

Don't act like one of those insecure people that latch on to somebody else to make yourself look cool. It's pathetic.

PS: It's JRod. That's it. No -, no caps.
    Ooops, I almost forgot:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast