Page 2 of 3 First First 123 Last

Thread: PC Exclusive?! (oh, perhaps not...the article has been edited)

PC Exclusive?! (oh, perhaps not...the article has been edited)

hmm

"Deus Ex 3 is expected to release on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC sometime next year."

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/deus-ex-3-u...1049343p1.html

Originally Posted by pha
    Get real noobs.

How can it be a PC exclusive with all the console garbage like 3rd person cover or health regen?
    Because the Witcher was TOTALLY a console game.

Because it's totally relevant to what you were saying.

This is nonsense not even deserving to be seriously discussed. Not that I'm a particular fan of consoles, but making PC exclusives these days is a wide path to a commercial suicide, unless one is making World of Warcraft.

If a game suits better for PC, is made for PC, is destined for PC, then it can be a massive success, there are numerous examples of classics that fall in this category.. An easy example is the Football Manager series, for a long time PC only up until recently and always had guaranteed mulit-million sales lying in wait for each release simply for the PC fanbase......

I would not mind Deus Ex 3 on PS3 or XBox 360, as long as those of us playing on PC would not have to suffer due to simplified controls, bad graphics, small maps and lobotomized AI because of it (let alone shortened story).
    So basicly, design it only for PC's first, and then, if they can handle it, port it to consoles (and oh god please do not make the PC gamers to wait until the port is done).

As far as I remember the last time platforms were mentioned for DX3, only the PC was confirmed. I have no idea why.

We seem to get a lot of confused signals off eidos - as somebody else mentioned they have enough console rubbish in this game, so far, to get the console kiddies interested in yet another short lived title.

I wonder. If this is true, could it be that em is actually trying to make a proper DX game and also include what they consider to be modern gaming elements ala self regenerating health and the cover system. If yes, would it or should it change the core fans perception of DX3?

Self regenerating health, no problem (there was augment like that in original DX, and it was pretty effective, if slow, and it's not like i didn't have maxed out healthpacks pretty much 99% of the time), as long as it does not happen during combat i have no issues with it.
    Cover system? great, adds to realism as long as it's well done, allowing you to take cover during gunfights, but does not glue you to the wall when you don't want to, making you unable to move around stealthily.

Realisticly, Deus Ex did not have that much, if anything truly innovative in it, it was awesome because it did what it did well, and had an awesome story in addition to the basic gameplay elements, with multiple ways to play and multiple solutions to almost all problems.
    I think lot of games forget the basics and spend too much in the shiny new widgets they've desided to have in their games so that while the new shiny widget or wahtever is nice, is shiny, and sometimes even actually new, the basic elements get done in a rush, and you end up with a lackluster package, so i hope EM will make sure that the basic gameplay works, playing is fun, and the story is good, and after that pretty much anything else is just a bonus (and, in my opinion, with this types of games when done to console, it's the gameplay that pretty much always suffers, but that might just be my preference for keyboard+mouse controls talking).

You need to read the FAQ thread to see why people is complaining about that. You will see that those complains aren't unfounded
    If you want to make enemies; just dumb something down
    The manderley song => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WnBeglPl7s

Not unfunded? someones giving money to people for complaining?

No, that's not what I meant; I mean complains without reasons.
    Sorry for my bad English I forgot one letter
    But read the FAQ thread, then you will understood the reasons.
    Nobody is paid to make complains here.

figured you meant unfounded, but i could not resist

I don't believe I'm saying this but I'm hoping that they would release it for Xbox 360 at least, I only own Mac nowadays and it would suck to buy PC just to play Deus Ex 3.

It's amazing how things change, five years ago I strongly believed that developing PC game alongside with console version is a bad thing, but now we have long list of games like Fallout 3 that were successfully developed to all three platforms.

Originally Posted by Bono
    This is nonsense not even deserving to be seriously discussed. Not that I'm a particular fan of consoles, but making PC exclusives these days is a wide path to a commercial suicide, unless one is making World of Warcraft.
    There are tons of extremely successful PC exclusives, it all comes down to the quality of the game (and a lot of marketing). Admittedly, there are also tons of great PC games which never sold well, so there's an element of luck and timing as well, (and again, lots and lots of marketing) but that's not unique to videogames. However, when a PC exclusive is not only a great game, but it's also marketed perfectly and released at the right time, it can make some serious moola, and I'm not even talking about WoW.

There is absolutely no reason why a game developer shouldn't seriously consider the possiblity of making a pc exclusive. It might be (perceived to be) a riskier bet than going multi-platform, but if you consider how multi-platform usually means shoddy ports (actually, now we have abysmal ports, in that they're not good games on ANY platform) and bearing in mind that the best selling PC games were actually classy polished games such as the Half-Life games, Mafia, Myst, Starcraft, Simcity, Civilization, Baldur's Gate, etc. it appears that it definitely pays off to focus efforts on a single avenue (and if you're going to port, do it separately, later on).

I'm sorry, but the notion that making a game for a single platform is somehow financial suicide is just bogus. We can't concede to the irrationality of people who reduce the totality of videogaming to the height of their annual bonuses, that's not only nonsensically deferential, but it's the kind of mentality that will slowly but surely drive quality games to extinction.

I know there's not much hope of DX3 going PC exclusive, but in all honesty, it would be excellent news. I'm sure console gamers can wait a bit for them to port it to whatever console, but for the sake of quality, PC exclusive could only mean good things (yes, even for subsequent console ports!).

Originally Posted by Yzerman
    I don't believe I'm saying this but I'm hoping that they would release it for Xbox 360 at least, I only own Mac nowadays and it would suck to buy PC just to play Deus Ex 3.

It's amazing how things change, five years ago I strongly believed that developing PC game alongside with console version is a bad thing, but now we have long list of games like Fallout 3 that were successfully developed to all three platforms.
    If you own an intel-based Mac, you can dual-boot with Windows XP/Vista/7 to play windows games.
    Make a cup of tea. Enjoy a nice cheddar. Always bring a towel.

There are tons of extremely successful PC exclusives, it all comes down to the quality of the game (and a lot of marketing).
    PC has already almost turned into a platform for browser-based casual games and MMO games. All the hardcore games that we all love so much are already console games. You hear that right: nowadays the concept of a Deus Ex or a Thief game is a concept of a purely console game, not a PC game.

Speaking about PC-exclusives - I don't think Crysis did tremendously well. And it seems that the number of sold copies of Modern Warfare 2 for the PC is a shame comparing with the sales of this game for Xbox 360 and PS3. And this is a hardcore shooter, the game of a genre that was thought to be a classic PC genre!

Football managers, The Sims 3, WoW - fine, these games do well on PC, but Deus Ex is no way an MMO or casual, or management game. Deus Ex 3 must be done for consoles, but it must not be dumbed down for consoles - this is the only way for this game to succeed.

Well this game is dumbed down for the consoles and will be developed for them.
    The fact they develop the game for PC first doesn't mean nothing, that doesn't mean they will develop a game tailored for a PC.

Originally Posted by Bono
    Speaking about PC-exclusives - I don't think Crysis did tremendously well. And it seems that the number of sold copies of Modern Warfare 2 for the PC is a shame comparing with the sales of this game for Xbox 360 and PS3. And this is a hardcore shooter, the game of a genre that was thought to be a classic PC genre!
    Crysis sold fine, perhaps less than predicted but that's because it was badly optimised and most people couldn't run it particularly well at the time of release (and many still can't...) MW2 sold poorly on PC because Activision and Infinity Ward went absolutely out of their way to cripple the PC version.

Unless game publishers and Microsoft suddenly find their minds and try hard to make PC a respectable gaming platform, which it deserves to be, PC is unfortunately doomed to scale down to a platform only geeks and Sims fans appreciate.

Right now we see that running even moderately old PC games on Windows turns to be a pain in the ass, the hardware and software compatibility issues drive people mad, and the quality of the consoles-to-PC ports make me cry. Microsoft, unfortunately, doesn't give a freak about Games for Windows, obsessed with Xbox.

Originally Posted by Blade_hunter
    Well this game is dumbed down for the consoles and will be developed for them.
    The fact they develop the game for PC first doesn't mean nothing, that doesn't mean they will develop a game tailored for a PC.
    Please compare creating a game for the PC first and then doing work later to move it over to the console, compared to creating a console game, and porting that over to the PC?

Also, didn't Deus Ex come out for the playstation? Or am I imagining things.

Originally Posted by Argent
    Please compare creating a game for the PC first and then doing work later to move it over to the console, compared to creating a console game, and porting that over to the PC?

Also, didn't Deus Ex come out for the playstation? Or am I imagining things.
    Yes, and frankly, the pc version was head and shoulders above the ps2 port in quality atleast in my opinion.

Speaking about PC-exclusives - I don't think Crysis did tremendously well.
    It surely didn't do worse than the PS3 exclusive Killzone 2 which had a gigantic marketing campaign, enormous budget ($60 mln dollars or so) and was hyped to the point of absurdity. In fact, Crytek made enough money from it to even buy two studios. Crysis would have performed even better, but many people found it boring and spread the word.

PC exclusives do sell, provided they are done well. In fact, if more games were released only on PC, then the sales would be better than they are now. Many people simply have no incentive to buy a gaming rig if they can get so many high profile releases on consoles.

Originally Posted by Yzerman
    What are you blabbing about? Fallout 3 is dumbed down crap, it pains me that this garbage exists, the control scheme is built around gamepads and the whole game is nothing but a mod for Oblivion.

OP misquoted it pretty badly and seems to have gotten just the response he was hoping for. If there's anything we can be sure of about DX3 by now, it's that 'hinted' and 'confirmed' are miles and miles apart.

It has been confirmed that the game is a cyberpunk prequel to the first game
    It comes across as being uninformed if they had to 'confirm' a bit of info that was released yonks ago, when this article was only published today
    Eidos has previously hinted that it might not be getting a console release due to the complexity of the game.
    Yes, hinted. And not just hinted, but previously hinted. You could say that D'Astous' old comment that the PC is the only *guaranteed* platform 'hints' that it won't be on consoles. Though admittedly I would be jumping for joy if DX3 turned out to be a PC-exclusive, this statement doesnt really mean anything, as using the word 'hinted' seems like a tactful way for a news article to say something entirely subjective and not grounded in truth.

Actually it HAS been confirmed that the game will be a PC exclusive.

It has also been confirmed that Paul Denton WILL be a playable character and the game will support a full online multi player campaign mode!

"Deus Ex 3 will be a revolutionary PC exclusive experience offering many new ways to play. There will be a return of many familiar faces such as Paul Denton who will be a playable character for a large portion of the game."

"...The greatest news I have heard from Eidos Montreal is that they are currently developing an online campaign mode which will feature alternate, or "what if?", story lines which will put the player into different scenarios from throughout the game where certain aspects of the story have been altered to produce different outcomes."

This was leaked a few days ago on www.alexanderbrandon.net

Originally Posted by GWSampy
    Actually it HAS been confirmed that the game will be a PC exclusive.

It has also been confirmed that Paul Denton WILL be a playable character and the game will support a full online multi player campaign mode!

"Deus Ex 3 will be a revolutionary PC exclusive experience offering many new ways to play. There will be a return of many familiar faces such as Paul Denton who will be a playable character for a large portion of the game."

"...The greatest news I have heard from Eidos Montreal is that they are currently developing an online campaign mode which will feature alternate, or "what if?", story lines which will put the player into different scenarios from throughout the game where certain aspects of the story have been altered to produce different outcomes."

This was leaked a few days ago on www.alexanderbrandon.net
    Call me crazy but I don't believe this one bit. Have a good day

Page 2 of 3 First First 123 Last