Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 145

Thread: Uncharted is Better

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,814
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy2 View Post
    WOW! Since the last time I was here, there's been quite a discussion about the merits of Tomb Raider versus Uncharted. An important and vital discussion for the Tomb Raider franchise, in my opinion. And I'm heartened there seem to be a lot more people than I remembered here who feel that Tomb Raider Legend was the direction Lara needed to go in, and that Tomb Raider Underworld was a mis-step that has jeopardized the franchise.

    I notice some posts here from people protesting that Uncharted and Tomb Raider are completely different games. My point would be: maybe so in your eyes, but the differences are not great enough for reviewers and the casual audience not to compare the two. And this is terrible news for Lara.

    There's an old saying: "Good artists copy. Great artists steal." I can say having played Uncharted 2, the Uncharted franchise has gone from being seen as derivative of Tomb Raider, to an elevated position where Tomb Raider will now be compared to Uncharted. In a way this is very depressing, because Uncharted 2 does what it does (whether you like it or not) with such polish, with such flare, with such a hellzapoppin' need to wow you in every way, that at this point even if Tomb Raider went back onto the good track that it was on with Legend, and came up with a very, very high quality game, it would probably still be judged to fall short of what Uncharted accomplished, and thus be seen negatively.

    Fights in a building that's being demolished, the floor tilting beneath you while you, furniture, and enemies careen from side to side -- running along the top of a moving train as it rolls through exquisite countryside -- leaping from vehicle to vehicle in a truck convoy scene that's reminiscent of something out of Raiders of the Lost Ark -- the Naughty Dog gang has thrown everything and the kitchen sink at you to make sure you answer with a resounding "Yes!" when asked the question, "Are you not entertained?" The story of this game moves the Nathan Drake character forward as well -- in the first game I thought he was a rather unimpressive take on the "everyman" hero -- but now he's grown on me to the point I've gained a real appreciation for him.

    So Lara and Tomb Raider are in dire straits, there's just no getting around that now. One way or another, Lara pretty much has to cede the ground she once owned all to herself to Uncharted, because she just can't compete head on, not without a tremendous infusion of resources I doubt Crystal Dynamics can realistically provide.

    Others here have speculated that perhaps an Arkham Asylum type game might be best for Lara, and I think that may be the best way for her to go as well. It would be different, but it could still be good, and Lara could still have new adventures. But even in this scenario, aspects like combat will need to be seriously reworked to keep up with the times. And Lara as a character needs more fleshing out, with secondary characters that also have their own appeal.
    Wow excellent points Jonesy2, but not to worry Crystal Dynamics may now have those resources via Square Enix, at the very least like with Deux, just think if Square Enix did CGI for Tomb Raider. Then CD can take a load off and focus on level design and game play mechanics. While Uncharted Among Thieves was an awesome rollercoaster ride, the train ride wasn't entirely new, Lara's been on trains too, the best example would be Tomb Raider the Last Revelation. Uncharted 2's though was picturesque, and thrilling.

    I'm with you on Arkham Asylum TR type game, in fact I was one of those that suggest such a dream game. "Detective Lara mode" would add a new puzzle solving dimension to the games. But they would need to make the puzzles a lot harder than they currently are for that.
    signature image

  2. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by naraku View Post
    Wow excellent points Jonesy2, but not to worry Crystal Dynamics may now have those resources via Square Enix, at the very least like with Deux, just think if Square Enix did CGI for Tomb Raider. Then CD can take a load off and focus on level design and game play mechanics. While Uncharted Among Thieves was an awesome rollercoaster ride, the train ride wasn't entirely new, Lara's been on trains too, the best example would be Tomb Raider the Last Revelation. Uncharted 2's though was picturesque, and thrilling.

    I'm with you on Arkham Asylum TR type game, in fact I was one of those that suggest such a dream game. "Detective Lara mode" would add a new puzzle solving dimension to the games. But they would need to make the puzzles a lot harder than they currently are for that.
    In the past I would have suggested Tomb Raider keep pushing in the direction it was headed with Legend, but now with Uncharted going so far ahead in that area, I think it's too late, even with the resources available now. So yeah, probably something more like Arkham Asylum, with maybe even more open world elements, would be the way for Lara to go.

    But many of the old schoolers still seem to just want the same old game, with a lonely Lara exploring vast catacombs on her own. There's been a sea change in gaming however, so that approach isn't going to bring in new fans and just appealing to the old ones doesn't justify the vast amount of effort and expenditure that has to go into creating modern games.

    If you're going to wish for Lara to "go back to her roots" you may as well wish for a major revival of the old text adventure games while you're at it. But it's not really feasible anymore.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,814
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy2 View Post
    In the past I would have suggested Tomb Raider keep pushing in the direction it was headed with Legend, but now with Uncharted going so far ahead in that area, I think it's too late, even with the resources available now. So yeah, probably something more like Arkham Asylum, with maybe even more open world elements, would be the way for Lara to go.

    But many of the old schoolers still seem to just want the same old game, with a lonely Lara exploring vast catacombs on her own. There's been a sea change in gaming however, so that approach isn't going to bring in new fans and just appealing to the old ones doesn't justify the vast amount of effort and expenditure that has to go into creating modern games.

    If you're going to wish for Lara to "go back to her roots" you may as well wish for a major revival of the old text adventure games while you're at it. But it's not really feasible anymore.
    Competition is good, I would hate the day that the devs throw in the towel and decide they just can't compete with Uncharted. Arkham Asylum reminds me of TR Chronicles' Russian Base level, where you got around via airducts, sneaky like. Now if they could only do it in cave tunnel form, and tah da..... Spelunking......
    signature image

  4. #104
    If uncharted is better... Why bother comin on TR forums?
    (no offence like) but if you like uncharted better then why come on tr forums? Anyway... Everybody has opinions but... :-/
    signature image

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by tombraidergal View Post
    If uncharted is better... Why bother comin on TR forums?
    (no offence like) but if you like uncharted better then why come on tr forums? Anyway... Everybody has opinions but... :-/
    So...the only reason you should be on a Tomb Raider forum is if you think Tomb Raider is the be all and end all of creation?

    I was a fan of Tomb Raider long before I ever played Uncharted. But I'd like to see Tomb Raider keep up with the times, and actually even be ahead of the curve, the way the first game was, way back when.

    I don't like to see Tomb Raider falling by the wayside like this, so that's why I point out what I perceive to be its shortcomings as a franchise in the modern era. Especially as Tomb Raider was on the right track so recently ... with Legend.

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by tombraidergal View Post
    If uncharted is better... Why bother comin on TR forums?
    (no offence like) but if you like uncharted better then why come on tr forums? Anyway... Everybody has opinions but... :-/
    But I like that people discuss other peoples opinions on the game and how they love other games. I'd rather have that then 'fans' saying "OHHH.... Lara's body", "Lara's hair..." --you get the picture.

    Just like I'm not a 'fan' of any game (I really dislike that word!), I just enjoy the story experiences that different franchises offer, alas, Uncharted & MGS.

    Now this wasn't really aimed at you Tombraidergal

  7. #107
    yes... same but i find it a bit biased when people say 'such a game is better than this game.'. lol. i actually am thinking about having a go at uncharted (if my dad will buy it).

    it annoys me as well when they talk about her like that. it's like... GRRRR. consider the innocent females who find it slightly annoying when boys yap on about lara crofts figure!
    signature image

  8. #108
    I have to say to some of these comments, that the only time that Tomb Raider actually gets compared to Uncharted is with TR fans. For some reason people seem to want TR to be like Uncharted because they feel Uncharted is better becasue of all the positive things said about it. But TR has never been a short sharp thrill like Uncharted, but like a long, whinding rollercoaster and thats how TR is best. It puzzles me as to why some fans want TR to lower itself to mimicking another game. I sure hope this never happens, if you like Uncharted, then play Uncharted and enjoy it's sharp thrills, but please do not try and make Tomb Raider like this as well, as the TR fans among us probably still want to play Tomb Raider instead of/as well as Uncharted.

    Personally i think this reinvention of Tomb Raider coming up could actually be influenced a little by all this TR - Uncharted crap and i think i understand and agree. I think the devs could actually be trying to grow the series away from Uncharted. TR should grow and expand upon what it has and what it is rather than trying to be some other game.

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Badnik
    But TR has never been a short sharp thrill like Uncharted, but like a long, whinding rollercoaster and thats how TR is best.
    Why can't TR do both? People say "this is one game", "this is another", so why can't games try to hit all the notes in each genre? Add horror elements here and there, add combat for those that want it and throw in the exploration and puzzles for the 'fans' of TR that love that aspect.

    Finally a gripping story that ties and weaves in various un-seen twists and narrative misdirect.


  10. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by Ants_27_ View Post
    Why can't TR do both? People say "this is one game", "this is another", so why can't games try to hit all the notes in each genre? Add horror elements here and there, add combat for those that want it and throw in the exploration and puzzles for the 'fans' of TR that love that aspect.

    Finally a gripping story that ties and weaves in various un-seen twists and narrative misdirect.

    If you had read the rest of my post you would know that i was simply pointing out that Tomb Raider is good at being Tomb Raider and shouldn't have to mimick another game. I never said anything about geners such as horror.

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Badnik View Post
    If you had read the rest of my post you would know that i was simply pointing out that Tomb Raider is good at being Tomb Raider.
    The problem being that TR can't be 'good' anymore and having uncharted as a rival is both brilliant and beneficial. It should make CD push TR into different genres and open up new possibilities to do new things with the franchise. Yes, borrowing ideas from other games, I know your against it but TR has done it before.

  12. #112
    The Underworld formula is simply going to go, whether you like it or not. The sales did not justify that approach, even if the hardcore fanbase was satisfied. So there's going to be change to the franchise, and the question is, which direction is the best for Tomb Raider to move in?

    Will it even be possible to hold onto the hardcore fanbase? For some, the answer will be no regardless of what choice is made. I suspect others might be alright with more of an Arkham Asylum type approach.

    But Uncharted has taken the genre Tomb Raider created and taken it to another level in so many different ways. So to claim they're entirely different games is really a matter of self-deception. Both games feature platforming, puzzle solving, and combat. The core similarities are there.

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,949
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy2 View Post
    But I'd like to see Tomb Raider keep up with the times, and actually even be ahead of the curve, the way the first game was, way back when.
    TR will never be ahead of the curve like it was in the 90's and saying you want it to be like uncharted so it will have a chance at being so is less sensical than saying it could be at the top with the current format. TR was so popular in the 90's because it was revolutionary gaming and introduced something new at the time, now gameplay has moved on and so has the popular genre of gaming. TR will never be as popular as it was then because of this and to say if TR followed Uncharted's gameplay it would make the game that popular again is rubbish because;

    A/ Uncharted would probably do it better
    B/ Uncharted does not even have that level of popularity
    C/ Copying another game's style is the complete opposite reason as to how TR gained the first level of popularity it had in the 90's. TR becoming an uncharted-esque shooter would probably be even worse for the series because it would be ridiculed at 'having to force itself into this genre and copy uncharted to survive' which is how some would see it isn't True. TR may not be as popular either as it was or as Uncharted but its not doing badly at all.

    I don't like to see Tomb Raider falling by the wayside like this, so that's why I point out what I perceive to be its shortcomings as a franchise in the modern era. Especially as Tomb Raider was on the right track so recently ... with Legend.
    But that is your opinion though, and it doesn't really surprise me that you think of TR as being on the right track with Legend because you favour the linear, shooter gameplay it offered. At the end of the day TR was not on the right track with Legend. TRL basically stripped everything that mad the the series what is and left tombs, boobs and guns which is not what TR is about. TRU was much closer to what TR is as a TR game; the fans reaction, sales figures which mirror those of Legend's (and on less platforms) and critic's reviews show this. TR is not doing bad as a series right now and even if it were making it a shooter is not the answer. There needs to be variation in the gaming market and TR is not in that genre.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy2 View Post
    The Underworld formula is simply going to go, whether you like it or not. The sales did not justify that approach, even if the hardcore fanbase was satisfied. So there's going to be change to the franchise, and the question is, which direction is the best for Tomb Raider to move in?
    Its funny that you describe the sales of TRU not being good enough to justify the current format's staying, yet you say that Legends gameplay is the winning formula yet TRU has shifted just as many, if not more units that Legend has by now and the fans were more happy with this than Legend. In my mind that is a winning formula. I suspect there is a little bias going on here to be honest, the gameplay does need tweeking and improving that's no lie but whatever direction it goes in it will build on the positive and negative points of TRU. Either way making the series just another generic shooter is going to do it no favours.

    Will it even be possible to hold onto the hardcore fanbase? For some, the answer will be no regardless of what choice is made. I suspect others might be alright with more of an Arkham Asylum type approach.
    Would those be the fans that were attracted by legend and its linear gameplay focused on combat? I suspect it would as it stands those two games fit into that criteria. However the vast majority of the fan base, and not just here, are more in favour of an open world approach, an Arkham Asylum style game couldn't be farther from that. Whatever economical method people like to delude themselves with a developer always designs a game mainly for the fanbase. Why? Because they are the ones who stick around long term, they are the ones who go on forums during the 3 years there is no game out to play and discuss where the series should go. Adding new features to reach out to new fans is all fine and well, every game should, nay must do so but if you change everything and exclude your main audience what is the point in making that game? Some people just don't get this and I don't know why its simple business logic. What few there are that want an AA syled game like Legend are blowing harder into the wind with that desire than the core obsessed fans are. There are too many gunning for the open world exploration idea and whilst fans don't have the final word on what the devs do with a game, its is always going to be the majority vote that wins.

    But Uncharted has taken the genre Tomb Raider created and taken it to another level in so many different ways. So to claim they're entirely different games is really a matter of self-deception. Both games feature platforming, puzzle solving, and combat. The core similarities are there.
    No, it hasn't. You may say that people who say TR and Uncharted are two different types of game are deceiving themselves when in fact it is the other way around. You only have to look at any classification of the games to see this if you want something official. The main similarities of puzzles, platforming and combat may be there but its how they are used that defines the game. Uncharted relies much more on combat as its main base of gameplay than TR which uses exploring and platforming as its base. If you look at these core characteristics in a list of priority for both games you would see something along the lines of;

    Uncharted; Combat, platforming, puzzles, exploration.
    TR: Exploration, platforming, Puzzles, combat.

    Both games may share similar themes that does not mean they are the same genre of gaming. Uncharted has taken the main shooter element and bettered them. If TR should be compared to anything gameplay wise it should be games such as Prince of Persia or Assassin's Creed that are in the same gaming sphere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Badnik View Post
    I have to say to some of these comments, that the only time that Tomb Raider actually gets compared to Uncharted is with TR fans. For some reason people seem to want TR to be like Uncharted because they feel Uncharted is better becasue of all the positive things said about it. But TR has never been a short sharp thrill like Uncharted, but like a long, whinding rollercoaster and thats how TR is best. It puzzles me as to why some fans want TR to lower itself to mimicking another game. I sure hope this never happens, if you like Uncharted, then play Uncharted and enjoy it's sharp thrills, but please do not try and make Tomb Raider like this as well, as the TR fans among us probably still want to play Tomb Raider instead of/as well as Uncharted.

    Personally i think this reinvention of Tomb Raider coming up could actually be influenced a little by all this TR - Uncharted crap and i think i understand and agree. I think the devs could actually be trying to grow the series away from Uncharted. TR should grow and expand upon what it has and what it is rather than trying to be some other game.
    I quoted this last and in its entirety because I agree with it all.
    It's been a long time since a came around, been a long time but I'm back in town.

  14. #114
    Well, well, jayjay. Basically you took a lot of what I already stated, and then restated it emphatically, as if I had said the opposite. Hmmphh.

    I think if Tomb Raider had continued on the Legend path, and come out with its next game before or even around the time of the first Uncharted, Lara and the franchise would be in a far more popular position than it is right now, and Uncharted's success itself is proof that notion is sound.

    But as I said in my earlier posts (which you've apparently decided to ignore, in an attempt to sound like you have a better argument than you actually do), that path is now lost to Lara because Uncharted 2 is so leaps and bounds far ahead in that area, Tomb Raider would always be playing catch up.

    By the way, I don't get why people keep claiming games like Legend and Uncharted are "linear". What, if anything, was non-linear about Underworld? As I recall, you had to go through those tombs in pretty much exactly the way the developers intended for you to go through them, and there wasn't any choice on your part about it. The whole thing comes across as an unfair criticism created with the desperate intent of finding some way to look down upon Uncharted and sneer at it.

    And finally, in regards to your point about how the franchise needs to serve the fanbase -- I'm a Star Trek fan, and your argument reminds me of how the harcore Trek base insisted -- insisted! -- that 2009's Star Trek movie HAD to cater to them in order to succeed, and that meant making the ship look exactly the way it did in the 1960's tv series, and that the only person who could play Kirk was William Shatner (although possibly a CGI version of a young Shatner might be acceptable) and that any deviation, any deviation from what the hardcore fans wanted spelled certain box office doom.

    Well, J.J. Abrams created the movie he wanted. The hardcore fans howled in protest. And the movie was a great success anyway. I think Tomb Raider is in kind of the same position Star Trek was once in. There's an old guard that's holding the franchise back, because they cling too tightly to the nostalgia of what was. Time moves on. Lara and Tomb Raider will too.

    The real question is, can you?

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,949
    From what I read Jonesy you did say the opposite of what I have said, and as it stands I didn't deliberately ignore your previous posts but they bear no importance on the fact that I was responding to your last 2 which were in themselves self contained arguments.

    I think you overindulge yourself with how well Tomb Raider is doing and could do, the thing is TRL Legend did basically the same thing Uncharted did with the lack of a cover system, even if its sequel had been released before uncharted it doesn't mean to say it would have been in a better position. Legend sold nowhere nearly as well as Uncharted did and they were virtually in the same genre unlike the other games. Games like Uncharted and Legend are linear because there is a set path and set movement you cannot deviate from, TRU remedied this somewhat but not as much as I would, and others had hoped which is why I guess rumours of open world for the next game have arisen, to be honest I don't use this as an attempt to look down on uncharted and sneer on it as you so put it, I have no problem with Uncharted being a short linear thrill ride that is what it was when it was created, TR was not and that is why I use linearity as critisism for TR only, I expect more from it than I do from uncharted and have felt so since Legend this is not just a new opinion to get one up on Uncharted.

    Furthermore I think comparing a live action movie, based on a live action series which has had a gap of, from what you have said a good 40 years to a CGI computer game series that has been going continuously for 14 yrs is a bad move. There are certain elements that have to be addressed with the star trek example such as technological advancements and actor aging from during 40 years that have to be dealt with that do not with TR. For one TR is a completely different medium and we're talking about the basis of the gamplay here not whether Lara should be kept as the main character or whether croft manor should look exactly the same as it did in 1996. The main point here boils down to the fact that some people who were introduced to the series when it was not an example of what the series expect it to become exactly like Uncharted because its compared to it and uncharted is doing better. If you like Uncharted, that's great personally I think it is linear, short and too crammed with combat. Tomb Raider is a game based on exploration and platforming and shouldn't have to change just because the big genre happens to be shooters at the moment. I'm not going to go into the whole fan thing again but suffice to say if fans truly aren't as important as some think they wouldn't bear such impact on the final product and TRU would have been 8 hours or shooting like Legend was.

    I agree TR will move on, but now that it finally has the time it will do so in a way that is true to the series' origins whilst integrating new stuff just like every other series has done, not just sell itself out and jump to the easiest option to make a quick buck. If you truly want TR to be more successful than it is now then you won't want it to be more like Uncharted but do something original like it did years ago. As it stands I think the question of moving on can be posed as much to you as it can to me.
    It's been a long time since a came around, been a long time but I'm back in town.

  16. #116
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjay119 View Post
    As it stands I think the question of moving on can be posed as much to you as it can to me.
    Well...since I wasn't that great a fan of Underworld, I'm certainly more than ready to move on from it. And since I've previously come to the conclusion it's too late for Tomb Raider to really go in the Uncharted direction, I've already moved on from there, too.

    So no, I think the question of moving on is more relevant for the hardcore fanbase.

  17. #117
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy2 View Post
    Well, well, jayjay. Basically you took a lot of what I already stated, and then restated it emphatically, as if I had said the opposite. Hmmphh.

    I think if Tomb Raider had continued on the Legend path, and come out with its next game before or even around the time of the first Uncharted, Lara and the franchise would be in a far more popular position than it is right now, and Uncharted's success itself is proof that notion is sound.

    But as I said in my earlier posts (which you've apparently decided to ignore, in an attempt to sound like you have a better argument than you actually do), that path is now lost to Lara because Uncharted 2 is so leaps and bounds far ahead in that area, Tomb Raider would always be playing catch up.

    By the way, I don't get why people keep claiming games like Legend and Uncharted are "linear". What, if anything, was non-linear about Underworld? As I recall, you had to go through those tombs in pretty much exactly the way the developers intended for you to go through them, and there wasn't any choice on your part about it. The whole thing comes across as an unfair criticism created with the desperate intent of finding some way to look down upon Uncharted and sneer at it.

    And finally, in regards to your point about how the franchise needs to serve the fanbase -- I'm a Star Trek fan, and your argument reminds me of how the harcore Trek base insisted -- insisted! -- that 2009's Star Trek movie HAD to cater to them in order to succeed, and that meant making the ship look exactly the way it did in the 1960's tv series, and that the only person who could play Kirk was William Shatner (although possibly a CGI version of a young Shatner might be acceptable) and that any deviation, any deviation from what the hardcore fans wanted spelled certain box office doom.

    Well, J.J. Abrams created the movie he wanted. The hardcore fans howled in protest. And the movie was a great success anyway. I think Tomb Raider is in kind of the same position Star Trek was once in. There's an old guard that's holding the franchise back, because they cling too tightly to the nostalgia of what was. Time moves on. Lara and Tomb Raider will too.

    The real question is, can you?


    As you have probably played Uncharted 2, it takes so much out of the Tomb Raider series its not even funny. Like both the second Tomb Raider and Uncharted have something to deal with daggers, and a couple parts in Uncharted 2 have almost identical snow levels, both in the himilayans (coincidence?). I think Naughty Dog didn't have any ideas, so they went "hey lets do something, nobody may notice this, but lets copy Tomb Raider almost exactly"... I really don't understand how you can say Uncharted isn't at fault basicly, when they should have a giant lawsuit on their hands

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,814
    Quote Originally Posted by redragon7324 View Post
    As you have probably played Uncharted 2, it takes so much out of the Tomb Raider series its not even funny. Like both the second Tomb Raider and Uncharted have something to deal with daggers, and a couple parts in Uncharted 2 have almost identical snow levels, both in the himilayans (coincidence?). I think Naughty Dog didn't have any ideas, so they went "hey lets do something, nobody may notice this, but lets copy Tomb Raider almost exactly"... I really don't understand how you can say Uncharted isn't at fault basicly, when they should have a giant lawsuit on their hands
    Yay, someone else realized that!!! Glad to know I'm not alone.
    signature image

  19. #119
    Quote Originally Posted by redragon7324 View Post
    As you have probably played Uncharted 2, it takes so much out of the Tomb Raider series its not even funny. Like both the second Tomb Raider and Uncharted have something to deal with daggers, and a couple parts in Uncharted 2 have almost identical snow levels, both in the himilayans (coincidence?).
    TR doesn't have a leg to stand on from a lawsuit point of view. In order for a company to get in trouble they must break the copyright on said object. The fact being that object must have created something original and TR certainly hasn't created snow or daggers. It's like saying that a book has copied off harry potter because it features creatures like a basilisk or a Bogart, when in fact it hasn't (she didn't create them).

    Alright, lets just take this rumoured TR 9 and look at its ideas, do you see anything in it that has never been done in a game before? Let's say it is open world, CD must be looking at Rockstar or bethesda then?

    Just to add I am not a fanboy to Uncharted nor TR nor any game because I really am not obsessed with any game nor would I lose sleep if games stopped being made altogether. I just don't grasp the concept that games 'copy' off TR, yet TR doesn't 'copy' off other games.

  20. #120
    well of course I would notice, I love Tomb Raider and Uncharted is an exact copy of Tomb Raider, except they have a man in Uncharted... I don't care if other people think its not a rip off...

  21. #121
    Quote Originally Posted by redragon7324 View Post
    well of course I would notice, I love Tomb Raider and Uncharted is an exact copy of Tomb Raider, except they have a man in Uncharted... I don't care if other people think its not a rip off...
    I know it's all down to opinion but I just don't understand how people say "This copies of TR" yet they never mention that TR does it too. I could say that TR is just Indiana Jones with a female lead. After all Indy is an archaeologist that is faced with rolling boulders and other deadly traps. I hope you get my point.

    I'm sorry people, I just find it strange how all games seem to copy yet TR doesn't, that maybe just me not really posts properly.

  22. #122
    RedDragon.. That post is rather sad. Like Ants said TR isn't really all that original itself. As they said it's a rehash of the Indiana Jones and it's pointed out from the get-go. Uncharted is sharing a couple things in common with TR, and that is world exploration, relics and guns.

    As I paraphrase my old post Uncharted is more realistic, compared to Tomb Raider. Tomb Raider is more sci-fi.

    What Makes Tomb Raider Sci-Fi is:
    -Excalibur
    -Thor's Hammer
    -Immortal Demi-gods
    -Mythological creatures
    -Supernatural powers
    -Walking undead

    Uncharted, by what I read is not science fiction. Yes, it's a game and made up for the most part. But it's more realistic then Tomb Raider. So you blatantly saying that Uncharted is copying Tomb Raider is the most ridiculous thing I've read in this thread by far.

    Anyone care to add to the list of difference between the two games? Please, do so.
    Nothing is True. Everything is Permitted.
    My.DeviantArt

  23. #123
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy2 View Post
    In the past I would have suggested Tomb Raider keep pushing in the direction it was headed with Legend, but now with Uncharted going so far ahead in that area, I think it's too late, even with the resources available now. So yeah, probably something more like Arkham Asylum, with maybe even more open world elements, would be the way for Lara to go.

    But many of the old schoolers still seem to just want the same old game, with a lonely Lara exploring vast catacombs on her own. There's been a sea change in gaming however, so that approach isn't going to bring in new fans and just appealing to the old ones doesn't justify the vast amount of effort and expenditure that has to go into creating modern games.

    If you're going to wish for Lara to "go back to her roots" you may as well wish for a major revival of the old text adventure games while you're at it. But it's not really feasible anymore.
    Tomb Raider was not always like Uncharted. The tendency for games today is to merge in the middle. Grab a slice (or more) of the consumers from another game by borrowing game components and features that will assist in this endeavor. Uncharted is a generic adventure game, much like the modern Tomb Raiders.

    What many of you are missing is vital to what made Tomb Raider special in its day. It was the capability that it had to craft a symbiosis between the gamer and their on-screen avatar. This was achieved via a command and control system that mimicked a first person performance thorough a third person camera perspective, and via a more precise gamer controlled system. Crystal Dynamics abandoned this concept and went full tilt into the storytelling and Lara-centric venue, casting aside the multiple possibilities that the classic system provided.

    If Crystal were to return the movement simulation capacity back to the game, restore the from behind camera to the command and control system and eliminate much of the automation and over scripting that is common today than they will have a game that can separate itself from the pack.

  24. #124
    Uncharted is Better
    No it's not.
    signature image

  25. #125
    Quote Originally Posted by Goar View Post
    RedDragon.. That post is rather sad. Like Ants said TR isn't really all that original itself. As they said it's a rehash of the Indiana Jones and it's pointed out from the get-go. Uncharted is sharing a couple things in common with TR, and that is world exploration, relics and guns.
    Thank you. I know my posts sound like I prefer Uncharted and the truth is I don't. Yes, there are games that I prefer over TR but it doesn't anything to do with that. I mean the only annoying thing to me is the "They copied TR!!!" yet TR never copies or thats how it seems to come across.

    Just explaining myself better (I hope). I also agree with you Goar.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •