Thread: many objects - low fps

many objects - low fps

well, my system configure is Celeron M 1.86 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 128 MB Radeon X200, Windows Vista
    I have some problems with Tomb Raider Legend. FPS decrease at scenes with many objects rendering. I tried make details as low as I can, but fps goes on 640x480 as well as on 1280x800.
    I wanna ask, is there some way to decrease the distance of rendering,make details lower or something like that?
    actually, game is playable, but these scenes make me insane, and, you know, there are a lot of them.

P.S. Tomb Raider Anniversary actually goes in that way also - runs well on scenes with average quantity of objects, but slower on global scenes.

Yeah, that's clearly an indicator that your system is actually just too slow for the game.
    I have that with... well, any game, but with this one it doesn't totally cripple the performance on full.

I don't think there's any easy option to decrease the render-distance,
    and I don't think it would be pretty and help either.
    But you could give it a try with RivaTuner.
    I don't know if you know it, but it's mainly an overclocking-tool.
    However, you can also tweak graphics, thus looks and performance, for each 3D-application.
    It also includes options to optimize rendering and performance.
    I think also some additional settings that are not in the game.

It helps my older system a lot.
    It won't make it play 'Crysis', but with the right tweaks it can smooth out the performance quite bit.
    This is also not a guarantee for this game with your system, cause it's very low in specifications.
    And then running Vista on it, shees...
    I'd first recommend getting at least 1GB of extra RAM, perhaps clock up the CPU a bit.
    And I recommend at least 512MB of VRAM today, but for this game you could also go with 256MB.
    Do you have a laptop or?... I'm not that familiar with those Celeron-processors and such so, just wondering...
    - Damage Inc.

I have TR Anniversary and can play it with a good framerate on highest settings, but i had to go down a level in Anti-Aliasing from 16QxAA to 16xAA, that is really a big difference, try to disable AA, and if this is not enough, try these as next: Vsync, shadows, water-effects (these are the ones, which needs a lot of memory for just a small increase of quality). always after disabling one, you can try, if the game runs faster
    You have just read my post. You're very lucky. xD
    Xoomer

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Xoomer View Post
    I have TR Anniversary and can play it with a good framerate on highest settings, but i had to go down a level in Anti-Aliasing from 16QxAA to 16xAA, that is really a big difference, try to disable AA, and if this is not enough, try these as next: Vsync, shadows, water-effects (these are the ones, which needs a lot of memory for just a small increase of quality). always after disabling one, you can try, if the game runs faster
    Well, 16x AA is pretty high, especially for a slower computer.
    But even 4x is enough for this game, so that's already a nice setting.
    He might need to completely turn it off though.

Also, you should always turn off V-sync on a slower computer.
    Because V-sync is actually only meant if the card pumps out more frames than the monitor's resfresh-rate.
    Otherwise it just becomes draggy and everything, cause V-sync is always heavy on any system.
    It's one of the last things you should turn on only the best systems, depending on which generation you're looking at.
    - Damage Inc.