Thread: "THE ORDER OF THE SCRIBE" Writing Challenge Discussion Thread CLOSED

"THE ORDER OF THE SCRIBE" Writing Challenge Discussion Thread CLOSED

Cool "THE ORDER OF THE SCRIBE" Writing Challenge Discussion Thread CLOSED

Now, where in the thief universe did that post go - you know, the one you read with such awe and wonder, and agreed with every single word?

Truth be told, you couldn't have put it better yourself. In fact, it was so good, the original author deserves recognition and respect.

Well, no need to search high and low for that one golden post much longer. We propose that the "very best of" be catalogued and added to the (locked) "Keeper Diary" thread (located at top of board) for ease of reference and continued enjoyment (for the benefit of the community and dev team alike).

Okay, good idea - count this taffer in. What do I do?

It's easy, to register a vote you simply find your favourite post and quote it in the dedicated voting thread (be sure it includes the OP's name) created for each round.
    The most popular post quoted by the community will be declared the winner and subsequently added to Keeper Diary thread - a great honour for those taffers who possess a special, magical way with wordsies!

To keep this as straightforward and as fair as possible, a given theme for each round will be decided upon and promoted via an independent vote thread. Scribes get plenty of time to create a new post or add to a previous one they already made.

Are there any rules?

Yes, read on:
    1) the quote must be relevant to the chosen theme. If not, it will be disqualified/deleted from the vote thread.
    2) you cannot vote for your own post (well, there must be honour among thieves...).
    3) you only have one vote per round; so take your time and choose wisely.
    4) voters are not allowed to alter the original post/quote in any way. They should, however, delete any part of the original post that is not relevant to the topic. OPs are permitted to correlate their previous posts on the topic and merge them into one single post and add anew to the relevant discussion thread. This is perfectly acceptable and is best done before the vote thread becomes open and active. No editing after this time by OP is allowed.
    5) grammar, spelling and punctuation are not an issue to worry about. What is said is more important than how it is said.
    6) in the event of a tie at deadline, the two quotes receiving the highest equal number of votes will be added to Keeper Diary. If there are more than two, then another poll will be conducted to decide the outright winner.

So, without further ado, let's get the challenge underway with our first theme!

ROUND 1 - "Garrett - Main Protagonist, or not?" / Deadline: 22/11/09
    Current voting thread is HERE

Study all past and current discussions regarding Garrett as the main character in Thief 4. Check the discussions list in "Keeper Diary" thread for quick reference if you cannot find relevant threads on first page of this board. Find the post that, in your opinion, tackles the theme in a clear and concise manner and puts forward the best ideas and/or argument for it's purpose and inclusion (or exclusion; as the case may be) in the upcoming game, Thief IV.

Remember, you're voting for that one single post that stands out from all the others, the one that deserves pride of place on this official forum in the 'Keeper Diary' thread.

Attention taffers and welcome! The above is an introduction to T4 Forum's "The Order of the Scribe" writing challenge.
    The list of topics to be voted upon will include just about everything so far discussed on this forum, as well as any fresh ones that appear after the challenge has started. With at least one week of voting for each round/topic, this challenge should keep us busy for quite some time to come.

If you were looking for extra inspiration to start inking your quill, this is it! Whether you intend to start a new topic or contribute to an existing one, now is the time to compose that meaningful post.

In the meantime, you guys get a chance in advance to give feedback, ask any questions and/or put forward any further ideas before we begin the challenge. Just ask in here.

Scribes and readers alike, we hope you enjoy participating; this should prove to be an interesting and fun exercise for us all.

COMPENDIUM OF ROUNDS

ROUND 1 - "Garrett - Main Protagonist, or not?"
    Vote thread HERE

ROUND 2 - "More Thieving - Less Fantasy?"

ROUND 3 - TBA
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Wow. Has anything been done like this before?

Viktoria, what a brilliant idea.
    This forum is one of the few bastions of above average posting with limited use of leet.
    But I would say that I don't think we should be grammar/spelling fascists (which I'm guilty of) because we're an international community and English isn't a lot of peoples first language.
    I think passion and ideas should count most.

OMG, what a great idea! This appeals to me on three fronts:

1) I'm a sucker for a really good sound (?text) byte

2) I'm just about narcissistic enough that this is a competition that I'd quite like to win, despite the fact that there is no prize other than a sense of pride and respect received from people that, realistically, are little more to me than lines of text from the ether (no offence )

3) It will encourage people to really try to be witty and clever in their posts, which can only raise the already high standard of posting on this forum

I'd like to suggest that for the first round, maybe we can review recent discussions on realism vs. fantasy (like in here or here), as this seems to have sparked a great deal of controversy in the last few weeks.
    Procrastination is the Thief 4 forum

I like the idea,
    I wonder how it turns out
    Hello EM!
    *akward silence*

I've seen posts like this, but I don't remember them.
    But I'm right.

This is what happens when we don't get news for the game.

Nothing wrong with a piece of navel gazing.
    But it does rather smack of the warm up guy desperately trying to keep the steadily more raucous audience from breaking into complete rebellion.
    We see her as she keeps peering between the curtains waiting for the band to show at least some sign of setting up.
    Sweat pouring from her brow when she realises the long night of horror she has to face...

It's going to be a long year, (Or two.)

Happy to see that this idea has sparked interest.

Originally Posted by jtr7
    Wow. Has anything been done like this before?
    No, afaik.

Originally Posted by bambini
    I'd like to suggest that for the first round, maybe we can review recent discussions on realism vs. fantasy.
    We will include this in an upcoming round, yes.

Originally Posted by kin
    This is what happens when we don't get news for the game.
    There won't be any news for a while yet, we all know that. So I hope you don't mind a little fun in the meantime.

UPDATE:

The challenge has begun!

ROUND 1 - "Garrett - Main Protagonist, or not?"
    Current voting thread is HERE

The vote thread will be open from Sunday, 15 November / / Deadline: 22/11/09.

Time is of the essence, so get scribbling, Scribes! The best of luck to you all!
    signature image

I also think it's kind of weird since you're asking people to go find a post about it, instead of post their own thoughts on it. Yes, there's an entire thread with posts, but if people have actually read half those posts they've probably formed their own, developed opinion that doesn't necessarily coincide with someone else's post. I've had many thoughts on the subject, but I haven't posted all of them necessarily.
    signature image
    signature image

Originally Posted by Hypevosa
    I also think it's kind of weird since you're asking people to go find a post about it, instead of post their own thoughts on it. Yes, there's an entire thread with posts, but if people have actually read half those posts they've probably formed their own, developed opinion that doesn't necessarily coincide with someone else's post. I've had many thoughts on the subject, but I haven't posted all of them necessarily.

I apologise if there is any confusion here... and I hope I'm understanding your question correctly when I make this reply.

The upcoming topic/round is promoted at least one week before the vote thread starts (if you check main challenge thread, first post at end, you will see what the next topic is going to be) . So, we are asking you to post your own thoughts... just not inside the vote thread itself. Authors/scribes get a chance to formulate a new post and add it to the relevant main discussion thread on the board. That way, by the time the vote thread is open, you guys have had at least seven days to add your post and gain votes. You can still add a fresh post now - but, obviously, the quicker you get it in there, the more likely you will gain extra votes. The Order of the Scribes introduction thread also confirms that you are permitted to go back and find any of your previous posts and post it again in the discussion thread - and even add to it if you wish. Editing is allowed, so long as it is done before the vote thread opens.

The reason why we're asking people to find their fave posts is because this challenge wouldn't work if you can vote for yourself, which is effectively what you're doing when you post your own opinion in a vote thread. Everyone would be a joint winner if we used this sytem. All any author needs to do is post in the discussion thread that is related to the topic/round.

The problem of you not necessarily finding someone else's post that you agree with is something that can't be helped, I'm afraid. The whole point of this challenge is to give recognition to those authors who DID strike the right chord, in your own opinion. Voters are allowed to delete any part of someone's post that isn't relevant to the topic, so long as there is no editing of main part of the post that you are retaining to denote your vote.

I'm sorry it isn't a 'perfect' system - but I think it is the fairest way to do things. If you, or anyone else, can suggest a better way to run this challenge PLEASE share your ideas. I may have missed a better way to do things, so I am more than happy to change it if it will improve the challenge and voting system in any way. Thank you.
    signature image

UPDATE

Thread closed. This challenge has now been amended.
    Please see new thread here: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=98414
    signature image