Page 2 of 3 First First 123 Last

Thread: Thief Fans Top Picks

Thief Fans Top Picks

Originally Posted by Telex
    Deus Ex is headed my way in the mail, so I will kill some time with that later this fall when I get a chance.
    Now that is a game!!!

I have it sat waiting to play, as soon as I can find time, and after the first run through of The Metal Age on my fancy new laptop.
    But with everything I've got on it will be early next year at least.

It's funny, I tried to get into Deus Ex. I got as far as the first bad guy, died and then gave up. Really lame of me, I know. One day I will persevere with it. I know it's supposed to be one of the best games ever made, so I'm sure I will love it if I give it a chance.
    Procrastination is the Thief 4 forum

Fallout Tactics gets some unfair bad press, probably on the grounds that it's not an RPG. It's actually really fun, apart from the annoying spray-weapon bug. I find it the most fun of the first three fallout games.
    Follow the fortunes of the Thi4f Forum!

Originally Posted by ToMegaTherion
    Fallout Tactics gets some unfair bad press, probably on the grounds that it's not an RPG. It's actually really fun, apart from the annoying spray-weapon bug. I find it the most fun of the first three fallout games.
    The subtitle on the cover says: "A post apocalyptic tactical combat game" It doesn't say "an rpg". The only differences between it and Fallout 1 and 2 are linearity and the ability to recruit members and train a specialized strike force. So I guess the definition of an RPG is total nonlinearity and because of that the higher likelihood to miss important things and thus "play it wrong".

I know, but there seems to be a strange tendency among video games fans to require that a game in the same franchise has to be of the same type as the others. It doesn't make any sense to me, but it is a phenomenon that seems to exist.

Human beings have been categorising things since the dawn of man. Charles Darwin et al. have made careers out of it. It's how we make sense of the world without having to interpret every single object, person or situation individually from scratch. It also happens to be how stereotypes (and prejudices) develop. The fact that this happens between gamers is not unusual or unexpected.

Isn't it weird how common everyday life and standard human traits need to be pointed out time and again, here?

I was also considering getting Mass Effect at some point when I have the time, maybe around xmas. Can anyone recommend it?
    Can't recommend it highly enough. Best RPG I've played this generation.
    signature image

Originally Posted by jtr7
    Isn't it weird how common everyday life and standard human traits need to be pointed out time and again, here?
    Maybe it says something about people spending to much time hovering around forums and losing their grip on the fundamentals of being human?

They want more reality in their games and less reality in real life.

Lol! Very profound. Sounds like something out of an Oscar Wilde play.

If a fundamental of being human is irrational nonsense that artificially limits your enjoyment of life for no advantage, I'm happy to opt out.

If a fundamental of being human is irrational nonsense that artificially limits your enjoyment of life for no advantage, I'm happy to opt out.
    I'm not following. What exactly is the "irrational nonsense" you're talking about, and in what way does it "artificially limit your enjoyment of life for no advantage"?

On a side note, wouldn't it be weird if we actually could opt out of humanity? I guess it would be kind of like divorcing your parents

If you buy a game, in this case Fallout Tactics, that is clearly advertised as Genre X, and all previous elements of the franchise were in Genre Y, and you criticise the game for being X rather than Y, you are being foolish and limiting your own enjoyment for no gain.

If you buy a game, in this case Fallout Tactics, that is clearly advertised as Genre X, and all previous elements of the franchise were in Genre Y, and you criticise the game for being X rather than Y, you are being foolish and limiting your own enjoyment for no gain.
    post of the day!

To avoid these situations however, a slight warning for the game being in genre X rather than Y is greatly appreciated.
    Hello EM!
    *akward silence*

Many of the favorites listed here have tended toward the first-person/action game types but I tend much more toward RPGs. I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Planescape: Torment which, IMO, is the best game ever made. Fantastic story and writing.

And I never miss an opportunity to get someone to try my second favorite game which is Anachronox. It's not well known but is another truly fantastic game (just make sure you play it on the hardest difficulty...which actually isn't at all hard).
    Sign the petition to release the Thief I and II engine source code: http://www.petitiononline.com/ThiefSrc

One of my favourites is the Commandos series.
    And it's not so far removed from Thief, in that there is a lot of planning and waiting and watching patrol routes.
    Still waiting to play #3, Road to Berlin.
    I've got it sat waiting in my ever growing pile of things to play!

Originally Posted by TazmanianD
    Many of the favorites listed here have tended toward the first-person/action game types but I tend much more toward RPGs. I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Planescape: Torment which, IMO, is the best game ever made. Fantastic story and writing.
    I like RPGs, but I really dislike Planescape. I could go on a rant about this, but this is supposed to be a favourites thread, so I should probably not

Originally Posted by Namdrol
    One of my favourites is the Commandos series.
    And it's not so far removed from Thief, in that there is a lot of planning and waiting and watching patrol routes.
    Still waiting to play #3, Road to Berlin.
    I've got it sat waiting in my ever growing pile of things to play!
    It seems that I'm not too good with stealth RTS, I got Commandos 2 a while ago and I still haven't finished the training level.

Isn't it odd that the older, top-down, isometric RPGs seem to be over-represented here? I'm referring to the likes of older Fallout games, BG, Commandos, Planescape: Torment, etc.

Are Thief fans stuck in the past? Do we all just love looking down on our little characters? Maybe we just love to read reams of in-game text

If we're talking party-based RPGs then the isometric viewpoint is better than any of the more modern approaches, or at least better than the forms of them that I've seen. It might not look as pretty but it allows much tighter control and much less chaos.

Of course this sort of POV would be suicide for any major game to try these days. Maybe designers of party-based RPGs should look more to the RTS genre than contemporary RPGs for optimal results. Modern RTS games can provide impressive visuals but, since they involve more units than an RPG, still need to provide the player tight control over his units.

The most poisonous tendency in modern party RPGs is when the game forces the camera to be centred on one character. This is very rarely the optimal position in a complicated encounter, and is frequently severely suboptimal!

The chaos is always compounded by pandering to a modern feeling of "I shouldn't have to give my characters many orders, they should act independently", which greatly conflicts with my (old school?) feeling of "I demand total control over my entire party, they must not do anything without my instructions!"

personally I find staring at the back of my own head to be a bit of an immersion breaker

The first game I ever got into was Myst. Had some fun times with that one =P
    Originally Posted by glyph07
    Uru: Ages Beyond Myst
    Surely both of you have played Riven, then? It's, in my opinion, easily the best game in the series.
    Sings we a dances of wolfs, who smells fear and slays the coward.
    Sings we a dances of mans, who smells gold and slays his brother.

Cool

TES (Morrowind and Oblivion)
    Fallout 3
    GTA SA.. and IV
    Rome Total War
    Hitman Series
    (Just received Mass Effect in the mail)
    KOTOR 1,2
    Deus Ex, obviously.
    Adventures like Grim Fandango, Gabriel Knight, etc.
    Freelancer
    - signed -

Does anyone know: Trilby: The Art of Theft?

Page 2 of 3 First First 123 Last