View Poll Results: To what extent do you want to see the Girl from TDS in T4?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • The only playable character.

2 3.08%
  • More or less playable alongside Garret.

4 6.15%
  • Playable but not alongside Garret.

4 6.15%
  • Part of the Story, but not much else.

30 46.15%
  • Mentioned but not important.

25 38.46%
Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread: The Girl Yes No Other

The Girl Yes No Other

The Girl Yes No Other

This is a poll for determing the level of interest there is with the Girl(?) from the end of TDS.

Poll?
    Fixed

Until the poll is set up:

My interest is zero to very very minor.

Sorry, the poll creation happens after the post creation...odd but true.

I voted for the middle option btw. IF multiplayer was clearly part of T4 I would go for the option above it.

Yeah, I'm not really interested in her, but if she would need to have a role I suppose we'd have to consider her grown up a little. As I'd love to see the City Watch in a more dangerous mood, I think the young woman should just despise Garrett and enrol in the CW. Where G. is law braking, she's just damn law abiding, maybe slightly fanatical like Karras.
    "The Essence of Balance is Detachment"
    Glyph07

I don't mind as long as it isn't lame.
    Follow the fortunes of the Thi4f Forum!

The game should be a remake of TDS, just so that they can forget the little girl at the end

Originally Posted by huzi73
    The game should be a remake of TDS, just so that they can forget the little girl at the end
    I think that the work "re-make" would lead to a hug flop! The kid or boy or whatever it was can be simply dismissed by making her / him /it not follow Garrett contrary to what the latter did when he was the boy caught.

Not all are like Garrett, not all that have skills are strong enough to live up to them and not all are really mature/capable to recognise them. U can have eyes but still be blind!
    "The Essence of Balance is Detachment"
    Glyph07

Originally Posted by glyph07

Not all are like Garrett, not all that have skills are strong enough to live up to them and not all are really mature/capable to recognise them. U can have eyes but still be blind!
    Really good way of putting it

I think it would terribly unoriginal to have the girl involved. The last thing we need is a seasoned veteran and his rookie sidekick.

And for sure, DO NOT MAKE HER THE ONLY PLAYABLE CHARACTER! We need Garrett back!

The sidekick/apprentice concept is pretty lame.
    Follow the fortunes of the Thi4f Forum!

Originally Posted by R Soul
    I think it would terribly unoriginal to have the girl involved. The last thing we need is a seasoned veteran and his rookie sidekick.
    Yeah, if this happens, T4 will be the "Batman&Robin" of the Thief series, which sounds really really bad.

Oh, and I vote the option that's not on the list. Not mentioned. All of the worst mistakes made in TDS should be ignored, because if T4 is good enough most people won't miss some minor bad things that are missing.

Cant they say she was eaten by a stray burrick?
    (Grumbles) Why do funny things always happen on my shift.

Originally Posted by Shadow Blade
    Cant they say she was eaten by a stray burrick?
    LOL

Or Garrett accidentally blackjacks her upside the head & she dies... RIP

(kidding)

I agree with everything that's been said here. Garrett does not need a sidekick. It's so un-Garrett-like that it makes my face hurt. His whole appeal is that he's a cynical, sarcastic loner. You couldn't give him a companion without tempering this somewhat.

Poll is missing "Absolutely zero interest whatsoever" option. Therefore, poll results are invalid.

Originally Posted by ZylonBane
    Poll is missing "Absolutely zero interest whatsoever" option. Therefore, poll results are invalid.
    I thought the same thing. I hope they dont mention her at all. I just think of her like a way to connect the 3rd game to the first begining when the same thing happend to Garrett. It has nothing to do with the story at all. Garrett just said what he said because he thought it was a funny déjá-vu feeling but then keept walking and forgot about it. I might even be just a dream. Whatever that dont make it a part of the story or the continuation of Thief.

Originally Posted by Telex
    His whole appeal is that he's a cynical, sarcastic loner. You couldn't give him a companion without tempering this somewhat.
    I shall now defend my position.

I realize you meant 'tampering', but IMO tempering is the right thing to do to a cynical, sarcastic, and dare I say unbalanced loner.

I imagine the First Keeper felt the same way until reality set in, and more real Keepers were needed to maintain balance in the City and within oneself. Having too few is as bad as having too many. And the old ones blew it for being too many and too set in their ways.

Garret, despite doing all the right things correctly, risks getting unbalanced from having too much power/influence concentrated in one person.

Garret IMO should still be the prime character. The new character should not interfere in Garret's primacy in game play, and she needs to be done with intelligence and respect for the series, but to deny the possibility of doing so is ignoring the history of storytelling. Especially modern fantasy literature. Speaking of which, > Recommended Reading <...I am now starting the third book. Characters are very well thought out, lots of sneaking.

A good comparable game reference would be >No One Lives Forever< Not Fantasy, but its a good sneak/action game with a respectable female lead. (it deserves a remake IMO)

Nope. Any tampering with Garrett's most distinguishable traits is like painting stormtroopers yellow. You don't do that. Actually, now that Garrett has destroyed the keepers too, he should get even lonelier. (In a positive Garrett-ish way.)

oh, and...
    Originally Posted by Hecateus
    Garret, despite doing all the right things correctly, risks getting unbalanced from having too much power/influence concentrated in one person.
    ...That's just wrong. Garrett doesn't have power concentrated in himself anymore. He isn't the designated world-saver anymore. His work as a keeper is done. Now he's more like a thief.

I realize you meant 'tampering', but IMO tempering is the right thing to do to a cynical, sarcastic, and dare I say unbalanced loner.
    Apparently you didn't notice that "tampering" in his sentence wouldn't have been grammatically correct. So gee, maybe he really did mean "tempering".

Originally Posted by ZylonBane
    Seconded. She is just not interesting, at all.

ditto

Any tampering with Garrett's most distinguishable traits is like painting stormtroopers yellow.
    So ...main characters are to have no more character growth than stormtroopers & redshirts?

I won't pay good money for that.

I shall now defend my position.

Nah man, I meant tempering. I don't want to see them temper or lessen his cynical outlook. That's what made him so appealing.

And I agree with Zylon - I would have voted for not seeing her return at all if that'd been an option.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last