View Poll Results: To what extent do you want to see the Girl from TDS in T4?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • The only playable character.

2 3.08%
  • More or less playable alongside Garret.

4 6.15%
  • Playable but not alongside Garret.

4 6.15%
  • Part of the Story, but not much else.

30 46.15%
  • Mentioned but not important.

25 38.46%

Thread: The Girl Yes No Other

The Girl Yes No Other

Originally Posted by Hecateus
    So ...main characters are to have no more character growth than stormtroopers & redshirts?

I won't pay good money for that.
    So ...a main character like Gozilla is able to develop to a caring compassionate character? Just like that? Because of what exactly?

I won't pay good money for that.

Gojira/Godzilla is not a character 'es a MONSTA!. Characters grow personally. Monsters grow body counts.

Yours is a Strawman argument anyway. Character growth does not necessarily mean more caring and compassion.

Originally Posted by Hecateus
    Gojira/Godzilla is not a character 'es a MONSTA!. Characters grow personally. Monsters grow body counts.

Yours is a Strawman argument anyway. Character growth does not necessarily mean more caring and compassion.
    Exacly. What I meant with Gozilla was that different characters develop differently. Hostile characters can, depending on the circumstances, develop to even more hostile characters. So it's possible to have Garrett without having him made into a normal human being with healthy social life. His character develops differently, but there are some types that a character like Garrett will never turn into.

...And what's so d.amn important about "character development" in a game that's mostly about gameplay? Thief isn't a deep journey to a troubled man's psyche like Silent Hill 2. Thief is about sneaking.

Thief is a parable of Balance. Sneaking is the literary vehicle. Character development, for good or evil, engages the audience, and brings them to the conclusion of the parable.

Garrett neither good or evil, He's a thief so he robs from people, but he does saves the world every now and then.
    In the end, he always chooses the way that leads for his own profit.
    Between Good and Evil there is a middle way that isn't Neutral. It's being selfish/common sense/not sticking to both sides, and we all love being selfish.
    Hello EM!
    *akward silence*

No Pieter, we don't.

unless of course you mean in it's purest form

Originally Posted by Pieter888
    and we all love being selfish.
    Originally Posted by Namdrol
    No Pieter, we don't.
    No, actually we do. Every choice you make in life is selfish. Everything you ever do, you do for yourself. Yes, not all of those choices benefit just you, but in the end they all benefit you in some way. "Selflessness." doesn't exist.

Originally Posted by Namdrol
    unless of course you mean in it's purest form

Think I sort of said that Plat if you read between the the lines

Stealing stuff for your own gain and bashing people on the back of the head with a blunt instrument qualify as pretty evil to me. And let's not get on to shooting guards with arrows.
    Follow the fortunes of the Thi4f Forum!

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Pieter888
    Garrett neither good or evil, He's a thief so he robs from people, but he does saves the world every now and then.
    In the end, he always chooses the way that leads for his own profit.
    Between Good and Evil there is a middle way that isn't Neutral. It's being selfish/common sense/not sticking to both sides, and we all love being selfish.
    Hey Taffers, isn't it time we give up talking in terms of good and bad for Thief? Jeez, Garrett is selfish yes, Garret is a thief obviously, but he has shown to believe in something at times, guess what...like all human beings! What a surprise!
    "The Essence of Balance is Detachment"
    Glyph07

Originally Posted by Platinumoxicity
    No, actually we do. Every choice you make in life is selfish. Everything you ever do, you do for yourself. Yes, not all of those choices benefit just you, but in the end they all benefit you in some way. "Selflessness." doesn't exist.
    I agree. Selflessness is death. Changing one's definition of one's self (Garret to be more precise) is where game/story is.

The girl can be valid means of exploring changes for Garret. If so, here's hoping for multiple endings.

Robbing from the rich and giving to himself does not make up for, or neutralize the fact, that he steals from the poor and gives to himself. It's almost all bad, and that's how he likes it when he's not entrapped by the manipulations and actions of others.

Anyway, as far as Garrett and love are concerned, Carmen Cantata says:
    s14_greet3: "I couldn't help but notice when you came in...the love stone above the door turned such a murky shade...I'm worried about you...we'll talk."

In games there are too few heartless protagonists. I don''t mean those who act like robots, like Mr 47. Garrett should be one of those "deviants" who's character is entirely based on being unpleasant. Not because he doesn't have any feelings like a cloned cold-blooded assassin, but because he does have them. Induced by fundamental distrust of people caused by deception, feelings that make him act unfriendly towards everyone. Garrett is supposed to be one of those bad guys that the audience loves for his uniqueness, but the other characters in the story don't like and even if they do, the feeling isn't mutual. Garrett speaks to the player in cutscenes and ingame like to a fellow team member who he actually trusts, but his tone always changes when he interacts with people in the game.

Retconned out. Completely ignored and forgotten.
    A rod of iron, in the flame, is transfigured and is no more.
    Thou canst never return unchanged from the forge.

I don't see how it could hurt to make her playable, but only for 5% of the game, like when you gain control of Ashley in Resident Evil 4.

It can't hurt? How about the resources and time designing her, making a model, artwork, voicing her, then playtesting, modifying her toolset and skillset, and making two stories since her name's not Garrett and she's not male, nor is she an exceptional Keeper entwined in Prophecy, etc. Different game-mechanics and gameplay need to be created, and not matter how much she appears in-game, she and The City she interacts in need full designing and testing.
    There's only a year-and-a-half to two years to make them game left, and the team isn't fully staffed yet. You gotta be realistic about budget, time, and how many are making it, and how much time is spent playtesting.

Originally Posted by aurclic
    I don't see how it could hurt to make her playable, but only for 5% of the game, like when you gain control of Ashley in Resident Evil 4.
    No. This is the series where we play as Garrett. We don't want to play as someone else.

You have to understand that many of us (long-time fans) have a very strong and deep-seated connection with Garrett. We love him. We love his lines, his personality, we love everything about him. He's the character we always played as. He is, dare I say, important to us, and replacing him with another character is, as I see it, a very bad idea.
    A rod of iron, in the flame, is transfigured and is no more.
    Thou canst never return unchanged from the forge.

Originally Posted by aurclic
    And I thought the "pregnancy tester arrow" was funniest thing I have read in this forum

No problem, the girl will drink heavily, smoke heavy cigarettes and have a alternate personality named Garrett with Garrett's memories. Also she'll have Garrett's voice and same adventures that do not disrupt the narrative line.
    Surripio ergo sunt.

Originally Posted by kabatta
    No problem, the girl will drink heavily, smoke heavy cigarettes and have a alternate personality named Garrett with Garrett's memories. Also she'll have Garrett's voice and same adventures that do not disrupt the narrative line.
    ...And because a Thief game is in 1st person we won't be able to see her female outlook.

the one and only time she should be seen is the end of TDS. Ok, so Garrett isnt the only thief in town, we know that, and this was just an interaction with one of them, but thats it, lets not make her a playable character or a side kick. why play as someone else? unless another character has abilities, skills, or weapons etc the usual character doesnt have, then there is no need. Garrett is the master thief, so what could this child possibly have he doesnt (other than a pretty pink visibility gem). The only other time i want to see this child is being thrown into the bear pits. We had the girl interpreter in TDS, and off memory a girl missing a doll in the pagan woods in TMA, i think thats enough little girls. Garrett as the only playable character please.

Arrow

As I said in another thread (where I posted my comment wrongly) I'd rather have Garrett finish her off somehow even by mistake than to have the girl (BUT LOOK HERE SHE MIGHT STILL BE A BOY WITH SOFT VOICE! ) running around the City.

Let's just have her be no-where near him.
    "The Essence of Balance is Detachment"
    Glyph07

Originally Posted by Zahr Dalsk
    No. This is the series where we play as Garrett. We don't want to play as someone else.

You have to understand that many of us (long-time fans) have a very strong and deep-seated connection with Garrett. We love him. We love his lines, his personality, we love everything about him. He's the character we always played as. He is, dare I say, important to us, and replacing him with another character is, as I see it, a very bad idea.
    This, this and more this.

Originally Posted by Zahr Dalsk

Agree. Would be like Half Life without Gordon Freeman (and before anyone pipes up about "opposing force" or "blue shift" expansions, you know what i mean).
    Hell, would be like Jaws without a shark, (im picturing 90 mins of people wandering a beach saying "hmmm, nice day for a swim).

Call me old fashioned, but I think Garrett should remain as the only playable character.

Upon playing Twilight Princess, I got a bit peeved with playing as the wolf instead of Link...

Page 2 of 4 First First 1234 Last