Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: A horrible, creeping thought

A horrible, creeping thought

A horrible, creeping thought

Please, please, please, PLEASE, Thief IV devs, prevent a situation where, (if you're going to be using GFWL and I imagine you will be) immersion is broken by popups from the festering, rancid thing. Nothing will destroy immersion faster than getting some half-baked 'award' mid-level whilst I'm sneaking across a metal gangway.

If you must include the stupid, meaningless awards and points system at least make it so it only awards them after a level or can be gotten rid of so they don't constantly clog up the screen. That includes all log-in messages too, they can go suck a blackjack.

Immersion is ALL in Thief, never ever forget it. Warren Spector did and we ate his heart.

I support the idea of medals/achievements/trophy's to increase replayablility but I agree with ElizabethSterling, NO in-game notifications of the medals, maybe a very subtle sound effect but nothing more. The player can view his newly earned medals in a special medal section in the main menu.
    Hello EM!
    *akward silence*

Or maybe the devs need to not spend so much development time on achievements and let Garrett's and the players' mission objectives be the reward they always were. Frikkin' greedy greedy players needing mountains of slaps on the back--disgusting. Childish, wussified, needy...

"You're a winner!"

I will refuse to buy a copy of Thief IV if it has an achievement/award system. I'm not 8 years old, I don't need a sticker to tell me how good my work is. I want to play Thief like it's '99 and not flaunt my ePeen with online stats.
    And I don't see how it offers any re-playability at all. In this day and age with something called the internet, a good chunk of players look up guides on how to get achievements because they're too lazy to work it out themselves. Achievements can DIAF.
    Is back from the Shadows.

Oh Yeah?

Quit kidding yourself... you're like the rest of us! You'll have this game on reserve 6 months before it comes out!

I enjoy having an achievement system, and while I agree that it wouldn't quite feel right in Thief, I realize it will probably be there at least for the 360 version. So I ask that they give achievements that are real achievements. Jumping 50 times is NOT A FRIGGIN ACHIEVEMENT, I'm sorry to burst your bubble. Meaningful, game enforcing achievements are what is necessary, not frilly, "congrats for pressing the X button 50 times " kinda achievements.

Valve did achievements right in left 4 dead, if you look at the achievements, they mainly teach you how to play the game, advanced techniques for play, or are actually an achievement.

How to play achievement: The achievement for using medkits on other people made it almost a second nature for some to use it on others who need healing, same with giving pills. Hitting hunters off other players,

Advanced Technique Achievement: Most people might not have thought of throwing the moltov at the tank to slowly drain its health away due to the panic it causes - if it wasn't for the Towering Inferno Achievement.

Actual Achievements: Surviving campaigns is an achievement. While I think it shafted those who may have ended up sacrificing themselves so the other survivors could get on, it emphasized that you had to live to have really achieved success in the level. Playing through all campaigns on the highest difficulty was an achievement, it was HARD. Most achievements in left 4 dead feel like this kind (so long as you don't cheat and do all of them on easy).

I think another set of achievements that might be included in thief are the fun kind where you get them for finding a secret area and the like. Either way, whatever achievements are used, need to not be frilly achievements, I want functional ones... since I'll probably end up playing on xbox
    signature image
    signature image

Originally Posted by cGREGgo
    Quit kidding yourself... you're like the rest of us! You'll have this game on reserve 6 months before it comes out!

I don't understand this compulsive thinking.

Oh, and Hype', you've just demonstrated another strike against consoles.

Originally Posted by jtr7
    How's it a strike against consoles? Any game that requires windows live and many that use steam have an achievement system. While Xbox may have come up with the achievement system, it's not solely limited to that market.

I don't understand why I'm not allowed to enjoy having achievements without being labeled a console tard. I find achievements don't detract from my gaming experience, in fact, they enhance it ever so slightly as long as they aren't interruptive. I'm simply arguing that if/when the game has achievements that the achievements should mean something or serve a person, instead of being something that anyone can do. If 100% is the enjoyment I get out of a game 101~105% is how much I get with proper achievements involved, 90-99% if the achievements make me scoff at them.

Would i miss achievements if this was a PC game only and they didn't exist? probably not, but if they were there I personally would get a little bit of extra enjoyment out of it, even if it was only an extra laugh from a funny one or a sense of accomplishment for doing something extremely difficult (managing to ghost a level for example).
    signature image
    signature image

I've been out the loop for a while (4 years).
    And I keep coming across gaps in my knowledge.
    Achievements? WTF?
    Here's a gold star little kid.
    No, no and thrice freakin no.

Thumbs Down

Originally Posted by Pieter888
    I support the idea of medals/achievements/trophy's to increase replayablility but I agree with ElizabethSterling, NO in-game notifications of the medals, maybe a very subtle sound effect but nothing more. The player can view his newly earned medals in a special medal section in the main menu.

Of all the ideas presented awards as suggested is the lamest idea I have heard yet. The "award" is successful completion of the mission with the least amount of discovery by the guards.

If that's the kind of game you want, I strongly recommend you forget THIEF and play one of the hundreds of other lame games that offer you that.

And I hope with all my heart that the developers don't even think about offering this Diablo, or Throne of darkness crap.

Indeed, if you are a fan of steampunk/medieval thief games, and also like games that have a feature that wasn't in Thief, it follows that you want to play entirely different games.

Please, can we stop this tiresome and invalid line of reasoning. It's old and it doesn't really hold.

Edit: Bah! I wasted post 666 in a pointless argument!
    Follow the fortunes of the Thi4f Forum!

Big Grin

I simply agree
    "The Essence of Balance is Detachment"
    Glyph07

Originally Posted by theBlackman
    Of all the ideas presented awards as suggested is the lamest idea I have heard yet. The "award" is successful completion of the mission with the least amount of discovery by the guards.

If that's the kind of game you want, I strongly recommend you forget THIEF and play one of the hundreds of other lame games that offer you that.

And I hope with all my heart that the developers don't even think about offering this Diablo, or Throne of darkness crap.
    No thank you, I know the charm of thief, and I don't care much for an achievement system. I was actually referring to what the devs should do if they DID implement them.
    I welcome the achievements if they are there but won't miss them if they aren't.
    I accept what is given to me but and make the most of it. If there are achievements, I might as well check them out, If there aren't any, I'll make my own achievements just as the whole lot of you do (ghosting trough the entire game for example).

I said I supported the achievement system because I'm not against it, but I don't desperately want it either. They're either there, or they aren't it's that simple, who cares?
    Hello EM!
    *akward silence*

I think...

I think some kind of reward system would be kewl. Everything's online now, isn't it? What do you think "special loot #1, #2, and #3 are? Basically rewards, right?

If your stats were reported to an online system to compare with others, all you guys bashing the stats now know youi'll be there checking how you did compared to other people on your "buddies list", and if you say "no" you won't, I don't believe you...

Kockouts = "X"
    Kills = "X"
    Loot = "X"
    Times Caught = "X"
    Completion Time = "X:XX"
    Pockets Picked = "X"

Things like that... Share'em with the world!

A metal to put into my pocket? NA... I don't need that, someone will just sneak up behind me & pick my pocket anyway... hehe

Originally Posted by jtr7
    I don't understand this compulsive thinking.
    huh?

Originally Posted by cGREGgo
    I think some kind of reward system would be kewl. Everything's online now, isn't it? What do you think "special loot #1, #2, and #3 are? Basically rewards, right?

If your stats were reported to an online system to compare with others, all you guys bashing the stats now know youi'll be there checking how you did compared to other people on your "buddies list", and if you say "no" you won't, I don't believe you...

Kockouts = "X"
    Kills = "X"
    Loot = "X"
    Times Caught = "X"
    Completion Time = "X:XX"
    Pockets Picked = "X"

Things like that... Share'em with the world!

A metal to put into my pocket? NA... I don't need that, someone will just sneak up behind me & pick my pocket anyway... hehe

No, special loots were requirements, not "rewards".

Online stats are pathetic. This isn't Battlefield 2. This isn't Empire Total War. This is Thief. Why can't we have a normal single player game, with just a normal single player campaign with no multiplayer/online stats/achievements. Are schools and parents really failing in teaching self confidence that they have to rely on computer games now? I don't need a sticker or award to tell me how good I've done, I don't want to see other people's stats. Everyone plays Thief differently.. some people think they're Rambo, other people (like myself) play the complete opposite and don't kill, knockout or get detected. Just being able to play a new Thief game is reward enough.
    Is back from the Shadows.

Originally Posted by PlumsieTaker

Everyone plays Thief differently..
    Ahhh, just like you say there, "Everyone plays Thief differently". Just because you say you don't need/want something, doesn't mean someone else doesn't.

I play thief like you do, I try not to even get spoted by anyone. That's the best way to play! (IMO of course).

Thief DP and TMA had the stats screen at the end of the level - it worked well towards single player replayability (knowing that you missed around 500 in loot is enough to make you hit the level restart button). The original developers hit the nail on the head here, and nothing more is needed in my opinion in this regard.
    I have played Thief DP, TMA and TDS, T2X, COSAS and FM's. This does not mean that I am in any better position to voice my opinion than anyone else.

Your vision is very narrow, guys.

Achievements rock.

IF

If they are something like Garrett murmuring "Heh, heh. Finding the Alarus Extension - that's quite something." or "Hm, this new fancy bow serves much better."

"Congrats, Quad! You found the only secret room that we were able to impliment in T4! Your achievement will be written in digital stone forever."

You Win!

You Win Five Million Dollars!

(and $2 of your next eidos purchase)

HA!

Yay......fun for the kiddies awards. So much fun...you can run around thinking about what award you're trying to get instead of being immersed in THIEF.......I think it would be kewl too...tell all my friends so they think I'm so kewl.....when I get an award I'll spin in my chair because I'm so kewl...:keir:...I've got more awards than you because I'm so kewl......so kewl......so....

I have to say I LOVE the TMA bump for finding a secret. That small graphic and 3 note tune make me happy in my pants.
    Anyone know where I could get that as a ringtone?
    "Where are you, you, taffer?"

Keep achievements out of Thief, please. I see achievements like the equivalent of a piece of juicy steak hanging from a wire on a stick that gaming companies are holding in front of your face. You're hungry, constantly trying to reach it, and when you do, there's another dropping right back, and another, and you end up playing the game for the sole purpose of getting these achievements. God, I hate that about modern gaming.

Even if the kiddies end up hating the game, I'd like Thief 4 to stick to the old winning formula of Thief 1 and 2 (I know I'm gonna get flamed for this by aforementioned kiddies). Thief, to me, is like a fine wine that you bring out of your wine cellar every now and then to take a sip and slowly enjoy. I'm still playing Thief (especially Thief 2 FMs) and that says a lot about the game.

Too many things today are spoiled by greed. Don't mess it up for the sake of a wider demographic and more money in your pockets.

/rant

Page 1 of 3 123 Last