Page 3 of 3 First First 123

Thread: A horrible, creeping thought

A horrible, creeping thought

Just got a game with an option to hide the "achievement unlocked" indicator, so worries about intrusiveness can be discarded as long as this (sensible and surely simple) option is included.

Apparently I have also gained the achievement "Idiot" in this game. Go me.
    Follow the fortunes of the Thi4f Forum!

But programming time is wasted adding a feature for a childrens game in one that hopefully is for adults.

Maybe it had something to do with your disabling the "Achievement Unlocked"?

But seriously, death to achievements. Making a good game should be achievement enough for these people. The only thing Lego games and Thief should share is the use of a TV screen and a controller. I'm assuming Lego games have achievements, because, yeah, I don't want to know.
    But I'm right.

Originally Posted by Pieter888
    I support the idea of medals/achievements/trophy's to increase replayablility but I agree with ElizabethSterling, NO in-game notifications of the medals, maybe a very subtle sound effect but nothing more. The player can view his newly earned medals in a special medal section in the main menu.
    Medals???? HAHAHAHAHAHA
    Free Fall: S = ½a * t²

I well-deserved the Idiot achievement, I got it for falling to my death too many times. I think I actually deserved a "Comical Idiot" one for the various ludicrous ways I managed this. "Haha! I have robbed your house and you stupid guards cannot catch me! Watch as I jump out of this window to my escape.... oh... oops."

Then the guards mocked my corpse, which was quite funny.
    Follow the fortunes of the Thi4f Forum!

Originally Posted by massimilianogoi
    Medals???? HAHAHAHAHAHA
    The game shouldn't need medals to stay interesting to play.
    Whether they implement them or not I don't care because Thief 4 shouldn't be needing it, that's why I support it, because I'm not against it.
    Hello EM!
    *akward silence*

Neutrality is also an option, as well as knowing that to be for something in Thief it doesn't need means you are pretty much for that unneeded something to be developed.

Originally Posted by Pieter888
    The game shouldn't need medals to stay interesting to play.
    Whether they implement them or not I don't care because Thief 4 shouldn't be needing it, that's why I support it, because I'm not against it.
    Sorry, but this would be pretty horrible, and ridiculous. Medals worths in war, so in some war games, not in a game where the protagonist is a thief.

Exactly. His acquisition is his reward. Getting the prize no one else could is his highest satisfaction. A medal would either be meaningless to his cynical self, or he'd sell it for the metal. Everything the gamer experiences should be in character, ethos, and idiom, of that universe.

Originally Posted by jtr7
    ... or he'd sell it for the metal...
    hahahahahaha I can see Garrett selling his owns medals to black market Bertha

wealth does now come in four flavours:
    • Gold
    • Goods
    • Gems
    • Achievements
    Hello EM!
    *akward silence*

Can we buy chocolate bars to see if we get the Golden Ticket?

Try! Who knows.. the fortune...

Page 3 of 3 First First 123